All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

You literally have no skin in the game.

You literally risk nothing, playing with other people's money.
That's true, but we can still blow a gasket once in a while.......you know, like drafting Jordan Addison. LMAO

Last edited:

It probably comes down to the adage, "you'll never get a hit if you don't swing the bat". The only guy I'd personally trade up for is Daniels, primarily for his immense upside and not because he's a "can't miss" prospect.
It's as if pick 11 and 23 will be hits if we keep them.

We haven't drafted a defender worth a schit in 10 years. It's pretty much guaranteed we wouldn't miss at pick 11 if we went defense. It's like there is almost no chance we'd blow it.

It's almost comedy hour.

I don't have any faith in this organization trading up and selecting the correct long-term solution at QB.
Maybe we should stay where we are and pick a QB at #11. JJ McCarthy may be there at #11, Bo Nix should be there, and Penix may be there at #23.

Even Tarkenton, who led the Vikings to 3 of the franchises 4 Super Bowls, was acquired via trade.

Yes and no.

Vikes drafted Tarkenton out of college (3rd round - 29th overall pick) during the team's 1st year in the NFL. (fun fact - he was also drafted by the Boston Patriots of the AFL).

Tark and then-coach Norm Van Brocklin did not get along. Tark demanded to be traded, so the Vikes sent him to the NY Giants in 1967 for multiple draft picks. Those draft picks were used to select Clint Jones, Bob Grim, Ron Yary and Ed White. (ironically, Van Brocklin left after the '66 season and Bud Grant became the Vikes' head coach.)

in 1972, Tark was traded back to MN for 3 players and 2 draft picks.

I don't have any faith in this organization trading up and selecting the correct long-term solution at QB.
Maybe we should stay where we are and pick a QB at #11. JJ McCarthy may be there at #11, Bo Nix should be there, and Penix may be there at #23.

Interestingly enough, one pod I was listening to made the argument that of all the top 4-6 QB's in this draft, Bo Nix likely fits the Walsh/Shanahan/KOC style of offense more than any of the others.

I don't know much about Nix, other than he's played a lot of football which I'm a big fan of. I can't get excited or even remotely interested about the prospect of drafting Penix, unless it's in the 4th round maybe.

At this point, with what we've seen from this regime, I trust that they know what they are doing, at least with respect to where they want to be in the draft. Hitting or missing on the QB is another thing altogether but I trust that they are not going to move up to 4th or even 3rd and "HOPE" that the guy they want will be there. I think they know who they want and they'll do what they have to do to get there.

Yes and no.

Vikes drafted Tarkenton out of college (3rd round - 29th overall pick) during the team's 1st year in the NFL. (fun fact - he was also drafted by the Boston Patriots of the AFL).

Tark and then-coach Norm Van Brocklin did not get along. Tark demanded to be traded, so the Vikes sent him to the NY Giants in 1967 for multiple draft picks. Those draft picks were used to select Clint Jones, Bob Grim, Ron Yary and Ed White. (ironically, Van Brocklin left after the '66 season and Bud Grant became the Vikes' head coach.)

in 1972, Tark was traded back to MN for 3 players and 2 draft picks.
It was a good move, I presume by Jim Finks, both trading him to NY and reacquiring.

I was only 3, but I think that the first season back in 1972 was considered one of the Vikings biggest failures, as they went 7-7 and did not gain a playoff berth. 1973 they drafted Chuck Foreman and started to roll in the NFC.

It probably comes down to the adage, "you'll never get a hit if you don't swing the bat". The only guy I'd personally trade up for is Daniels, primarily for his immense upside and not because he's a "can't miss" prospect.
Bolded: however the full analogy to this draft may well be that we're sitting at a 3-0 count and coach just gave the "no swing" signal.

I trust that those who played little league like I did ages ago, had plenty of those times and where it was all but guaranteed the 3-0 pitch was going to be a perfectly straight ball right down the middle. So many times I wanted to just say screw you coach and blast the piss out of those. But I probably would've swung and missed and looked like a fool and pissed the coach off!

We haven't drafted a defender worth a schit in 10 years. It's pretty much guaranteed we wouldn't miss at pick 11 if we went defense.
First defender taken in the 2024 draft.

Yep, that's exactly the same thing as the defenders we've drafted before. :rolleyes:

We've come to expect troll dishonest from you.

Or hell, just take the first defender in the draft at 11!

If they suck this year, which seems all but guaranteed unless a drafted QB would happen to be Stroud (two years in a row!), then we'll be much better positioned, organically, for 2025 draft.

That's what I'd do, but KAM's job is on the line so I have no doubt he will blow this.

4 weeks and 3 days. They probably aren't going to make a trade until draft night.

This is going to drag on worse than Cousins talk.

First defender taken in the 2024 draft.

Yep, that's exactly the same thing as the defenders we've drafted before. :rolleyes:

We've come to expect troll dishonest from you.
We haven't drafted an above average defender in 10 years.

Oh, my bad, trolling.

If they suck this year, which seems all but guaranteed unless a drafted QB would happen to be Stroud (two years in a row!), then we'll be much better positioned, organically, for 2025 draft.

That's what I'd do, but KAM's job is on the line so I have no doubt he will blow this.

Even teams with mediocre QBs can find ways to not suck, be around .500 and in Wild Card contention.

I'm also not sure that KAM's job is on the line either. Sure it might be, but the Wilfs don't seem to have quick triggers and all the moves appear to have created loads of cap room that they might let him see that plan through.

Just throwing shit at the wall, which will happen for the next 4 weeks leading up to the draft. The Athletic just threw out another mock draft with QB's going in the first 4 picks, but in THIS order:

1. Chicago - Williams
2. Washington - Daniels
3. Patriots - JJ McCarthy
4. Vikings - Drake Maye (Vikings acquire Nos. 4, 138 and 162 from Cardinals for Nos. 11, 23, 108 and a 2025 first-rounder)

Just throwing shit at the wall, which will happen for the next 4 weeks leading up to the draft. The Athletic just threw out another mock draft with QB's going in the first 4 picks, but in THIS order:

1. Chicago - Williams
2. Washington - Daniels
3. Patriots - JJ McCarthy
4. Vikings - Drake Maye (Vikings acquire Nos. 4, 138 and 162 from Cardinals for Nos. 11, 23, 108 and a 2025 first-rounder)

Interesting potential move for us, but I think AZ fans will be irate if they don't end up with MHJ. Maybe they can quickly trade back to #5 right after our trade and have a net positive for them, but they can't walk away from the draft without drafting him.

Skol Vikes!!

Interesting potential move for us, but I think AZ fans will be irate if they don't end up with MHJ. Maybe they can quickly trade back to #5 right after our trade and have a net positive for them, but they can't walk away from the draft without drafting him.

Skol Vikes!!

Hard to say? I want the Cardinals to get an absolute HAUL for the #4 pick so I'm biased. And are we 100% convinced that MHJ is that much better than a Malik Nabers or Odunze? Or at least so much better to warrant 3-5 spots in the draft?

EDIT: Just looked at PFF and they have MHJ rated as the #2 overall prospect, Nabers as the #4 overall prospect, and Odunze as the #6 overall prospect. With numbers like that, unless there's something PARTICULAR the Cardinals love about MHJ's game, I would not exactly be married to picking him if you're the Cardinals

The Cardinals GM, Monti Ossenfort (I believe a MN native from SW MN, like Luverne or something?), it's important to note what he did last year. He moved the Cardinals down a bunch of spots in the top 10 and then he turned around and traded right back UP several spots to take Paris Johnson, the first OT off the board. He's definitely not opposed to jockeying for position.

I expect the night of Round 1 to be filled with a lot of trades, should make for great theater

FWIW - Alec Lewis in The Athletic with 5 options for the Vikings.

1. Vikes trade 11, 23, 2025 1st-round, and 2026 1st round to Washington in return for #2 overall pick and a 3rd-round pick. (Vikes then draft Maye or Daniels)

2. Vikes trade 11, 23 and a 2025 1st-round to New England for the #3 pick. (Vikes draft Maye or Daniels)

3. Vikes trade 11 & 23 to the Chargers for the #5 pick. (Vikes draft McCarthy)

4. Vikes trade 11 and a 4th-round pick to Atlanta for the #8 pick (hoping McCarthy is still available - Lewis says this is least likely).

5. Vikes trade 11 to Carolina for picks #33 & 39. (Under this scenario, Vikes use 23 for best available defensive player, and take Penix or Nix at 33.)

Robert Saleh at the football meetings, “When you lose, you’re a loser.”

Made me laugh

Thought I would check out Pro Football Focus' most recent draft board. Interesting, to say the least. Of the top 6 consensus ranked QB's that everyone is talking about, here's where they have their Overall rankings in the 2024 draft:

1. Caleb Williams
3. Drake Maye
22. Jayden Daniels
28. JJ McCarthy
33. Bo Nix
46. Michael Penix

Thought I would check out Pro Football Focus' most recent draft board. Interesting, to say the least. Of the top 6 consensus ranked QB's that everyone is talking about, here's where they have their Overall rankings in the 2024 draft:

1. Caleb Williams
3. Drake Maye
22. Jayden Daniels
28. JJ McCarthy
33. Bo Nix
46. Michael Penix
It's hard to tell if this is purely a "best player" ranking or a "QB premium" type of ranking. Given Daniels and McCarthy being where they are, I assume it's the former. Which is crazy to me that someone could have Caleb Williams above MHJ, or Maye as high as #3, but whatever.

1. Caleb Williams
3. Drake Maye
22. Jayden Daniels
28. JJ McCarthy
33. Bo Nix
46. Michael Penix
How would you rank them based solely on potential?

How would you rank them based solely on potential?

I don't have the foggiest idea. Not my area of expertise. As far as mental makeup, intangibles, maturity, command of what's happening on the field, leadership, et al.... I've heard the best things about Maye and McCarthy.

Good grief, Harbaugh just won't shut up about McCarthy. I mean, it's one thing to pimp your guy and try to help him out, which I'm sure all coaches do, but Harbaugh's praise has been incredibly high (which has nothing to do with what I said above, that's been from other sources). He says McCarthy is clearly the best QB in the draft

Harbaugh: McCarthy and the NFL Draft

I don't have the foggiest idea. Not my area of expertise. As far as mental makeup, intangibles, maturity, command of what's happening on the field, leadership, et al.... I've heard the best things about Maye and McCarthy.

Good grief, Harbaugh just won't shut up about McCarthy. I mean, it's one thing to pimp your guy and try to help him out, which I'm sure all coaches do, but Harbaugh's praise has been incredibly high (which has nothing to do with what I said above, that's been from other sources). He says McCarthy is clearly the best QB in the draft

Harbaugh: McCarthy and the NFL Draft
It serves a dual purpose for Harbaugh - he gets to hype up a former player, and it would benefit his team if JJ went top 4. I think it's moreso just a case of a coach gushing about one of his guys though.

It serves a dual purpose for Harbaugh - he gets to hype up a former player, and it would benefit his team if JJ went top 4. I think it's moreso just a case of a coach gushing about one of his guys though.
Also typical pre-draft subterfuge to hype up the trade value for a team looking to move up to #5 to grab him.

Why are they guaranteed to suck this year? They've at least arguably improved the defense in free agency and the offense is missing one big piece at QB but it's not an untalented team. If we wanted to get a high pick organically we should either have 1: Signed garbage free agents to get to the cap minimum; and/or 2: Last season after the KC injury: Saved the pick we gave away on Dobbs, shut down JJ, traded Hunter for whatever we could get, and run with the garbage QBs on the roster or signed some other journeyman. Instead, we played to win in a hopeless season and now are signing talent.

More likely they'll end up in the bad to mediocre range and a similar draft position as this year, then end up in the brutal to bad range, and get a top pick in what's being heralded as a weak QB draft.

I'm not advocating mortgaging the farm to go after a QB. I dug into the stats of the likelihood of getting a good QB by trading up. It's much more likely to fail. But I'm not opposed to trading up if they can get the guy they actually want. But we'll never know if they trade up and get "their" guy or just "a" guy.

I hope that the team is prepared to hang on to the picks they have and take Penix/Nix at 23 or hope JJ falls to 11 but I doubt it. The talent on the team now is too great and next year's cap space means the only piece of the formula missing for a '25 season SB run is a good QB on a rookie scale.

Why are they guaranteed to suck this year? They've at least arguably improved the defense in free agency and the offense is missing one big piece at QB but it's not an untalented team. If we wanted to get a high pick organically we should either have 1: Signed garbage free agents to get to the cap minimum; and/or 2: Last season after the KC injury: Saved the pick we gave away on Dobbs, shut down JJ, traded Hunter for whatever we could get, and run with the garbage QBs on the roster or signed some other journeyman. Instead, we played to win in a hopeless season and now are signing talent.

More likely they'll end up in the bad to mediocre range and a similar draft position as this year, then end up in the brutal to bad range, and get a top pick in what's being heralded as a weak QB draft.

I'm not advocating mortgaging the farm to go after a QB. I dug into the stats of the likelihood of getting a good QB by trading up. It's much more likely to fail. But I'm not opposed to trading up if they can get the guy they actually want. But we'll never know if they trade up and get "their" guy or just "a" guy.

I hope that the team is prepared to hang on to the picks they have and take Penix/Nix at 23 or hope JJ falls to 11 but I doubt it. The talent on the team now is too great and next year's cap space means the only piece of the formula missing for a '25 season SB run is a good QB on a rookie scale.
The same people saying "Keep Kirk and try to win a Super Bowl" are now saying we're going to suck and have a top 10 pick without him even though the QB savings has gone straight to fixing the defense. It makes no sense.

writers - including one from The Athletic - are now floating the idea that some talent evaluators have McCarthy ranked as high as the #2 QB overall - and suggesting that Washington could take McCarthy with the 2nd pick in the draft.

no idea how much of this is hype and how much is substance.

But - if there is something to it, then Vikes would have interesting choices - try to trade up to pick #3 or 4 to go after Maye/Daniels (assuming they are available) - take Penix/Nix at #23 (and get killed by the media for "reaching) - or trade back into the 2nd round and take Penix/Nix (assuming they are available)

honestly, I think I could live with taking best defensive player at #11, and then taking Penix/Nix at 23 -- or trading back to accumulate more picks and hoping that Penix/Nix were available in the 2nd round.

-----
now, if for some reason the Vikes don't take a QB this year - here are the top 2025 QB's according to NFL draft buzz....
1. Shedeur Sanders - Colorado
2. Drew Allar - Penn State
3. Conner Weigman - Texas A&M
4. Carson Beck - Georgia
5. Quinn Ewers - Texas

writers - including one from The Athletic - are now floating the idea that some talent evaluators have McCarthy ranked as high as the #2 QB overall - and suggesting that Washington could take McCarthy with the 2nd pick in the draft.

no idea how much of this is hype and how much is substance.

But - if there is something to it, then Vikes would have interesting choices - try to trade up to pick #3 or 4 to go after Maye/Daniels (assuming they are available) - take Penix/Nix at #23 (and get killed by the media for "reaching) - or trade back into the 2nd round and take Penix/Nix (assuming they are available)

honestly, I think I could live with taking best defensive player at #11, and then taking Penix/Nix at 23 -- or trading back to accumulate more picks and hoping that Penix/Nix were available in the 2nd round.

-----
now, if for some reason the Vikes don't take a QB this year - here are the top 2025 QB's according to NFL draft buzz....
1. Shedeur Sanders - Colorado
2. Drew Allar - Penn State
3. Conner Weigman - Texas A&M
4. Carson Beck - Georgia
5. Quinn Ewers - Texas

I know it's not the sexiest thing to do and most fans would be apoplectic, but I wouldn't HATE it if they just rolled with Darnold and used their assets to fill some premium positions. The thing is, if you do that, you really, really, really had better hit on #11 and #23 or there will be rioting in the streets.

I'm sure it's absolutely not the plan right now, they want to move up for one of the QB's, but this regime has 100% shown that they have the discipline to draw the line where the determine it should be.

- They tried to move up for Richardson next year but didn't overpay
- they tried to keep Cousins but didn't overpay
- they tried to keep Hunter but didn't overpay

This will be the test, no doubt. It wouldn't be crazy for the Giants, the Broncos, even the Raiders to get into a bidding war with the Vikings for a pick around #4 or #5.

Top Bottom