All things 2021 MN state high school tournament

I agree. TG was winning most of the way in the section final crumbled at the end.

Minnehaha is interesting.

I think Suggs, Lockett and Kaden Johnson all started there in elementary school. Chet as well.

If I had nearly unlimited money and moved to Minneapolis area, my kids were good/very good basketball players...I’d have sent them to Minnehaha as well. Chase Carter has been there for a long time. Prince Aligbe as well.

not saying they don’t get kids to go there but Delasalle (Gabe is from Edina), CDH (Oturu is from Woodbury) do the same. Minnehaha this year could have blown the roof off any team in the state if they shot well like they did tonight
I have no idea about the current guys. I'm an early 2000's Minnehaha grad. Lance Johnson was the girls coach then, and he definitely recruited. We had girls transferring in as sophomores, juniors, and seniors to be our best players. Always competed in the state tournament. Is he still recruiting? I don't know.

I even talked to our mens coach about it at the time. I remember him telling me that he had recruited some players (including one current one) and he did not want to do it anymore. He said it came with too many headaches.

I have no idea about the current guys. I'm an early 2000's Minnehaha grad. Lance Johnson was the girls coach then, and he definitely recruited. We had girls transferring in as sophomores, juniors, and seniors to be our best players. Always competed in the state tournament. Is he still recruiting? I don't know.

I even talked to our mens coach about it at the time. I remember him telling me that he had recruited some players (including one current one) and he did not want to do it anymore. He said it came with too many headach33w

I even talked to our mens coach about it at the time. I remember him telling me that he had recruited some players (including one current one) and he did not want to do it anymore. He said it came with too many headaches.
Wow, some sleepy Blake/Breck feeder school to Harvard/Yale in far away Minnesota starts putting 0ut high level D1 BB talent! Random event?

Jessie Ventura used to suggest that we all follow the money. Who is paying the tuition, and how does this all benefit the institution? These same questions could be applied to CDH.

Is that Berkland from Wayzata a recruiting prospect at all for basketball? That was my first time watching that team but I was impressed by that shooting display and he really seemed to play hard on both offense and defense.

I've come to the conclusion the AAA Championship game was Thursday. Last night game was an exhibition between the AAA champion and a Metro All Star team.

Is that Berkland from Wayzata a recruiting prospect at all for basketball? That was my first time watching that team but I was impressed by that shooting display and he really seemed to play hard on both offense and defense.
Can't tell you whether he's received any interest for basketball, but he's said baseball is his favorite sport and he's verbally committed to play baseball at the U after he graduates next spring.

I think Suggs, Lockett and Kaden Johnson all started there in elementary school. Chet as well.
I would love to know if this is actually true.

I assume it is not true in the slightest. But would love to be proven wrong. 👍

I would love to know if this is actually true.

I assume it is not true in the slightest. But would love to be proven wrong. 👍
Maybe I’m wrong on Lockett. Might have been McDonald? Forgot he existed until just now.
Well Suggs was playing for Minnehaha in 7th grade so if they recruited a bunch of 6th graders then that coach should be a D1 scout

Fair enough.

Minnehaha (SMB in football as of X years ago?) has only very recently, in the grand scheme of private schools in the metro, become powerhouses in football and basketball, though right?

Point being ... why did a bunch of families who all "just happened" to have super talented kids, decide to put their kids in to the same feeder school(s) for Minnehaha, 10 or whatever years ago?

So, if they're going to do that ... at a minimum, they need to be playing in the highest classes. Same as whatever Totino and CDH are in.

Last edited:

Can't tell you whether he's received any interest for basketball, but he's said baseball is his favorite sport and he's verbally committed to play baseball at the U after he graduates next spring.
Ah, well there you go then. Didn't know that, I don't follow baseball at all.

Very impressed by Mercy Miller, he’s going to have everyone after him. Holmgren is just on a different level then everyone else.
Holmgren needs to learn how to shoot from beyond the arc. Some of his shots were reminiscent of this year's Gopher squad. Gotta be at 20% from beyond the arc.

Fair enough.

Minnehaha (SMB in football as of X years ago?) has only very recently, in the grand scheme of private schools in the metro, become powerhouses in football and basketball, though right?

Point being ... why did a bunch of families who all "just happened" to have super talented kids, decide to put their kids in to the same feeder school(s) for Minnehaha, 10 or whatever years ago?

So, if they're going to do that ... at a minimum, they need to be playing in the highest classes. Same as whatever Totino and CDH are in.
Did you ask these same questions when Gary Trent Jr and Brock Bertram ended up at Apple Valley? Cause Gary Trent chose Apple valley due to the Jones brothers and Bertram is not from Apple Valley...

Did you ask these same questions when Gary Trent Jr and Brock Bertram ended up at Apple Valley? Cause Gary Trent chose Apple valley due to the Jones brothers and Bertram is not from Apple Valley...
Open enrollment is the law in the state. ISD196 doesn't have to offer those guys scholarships to get them in.

ANYWAY, I was just saying that, at least, Minnehaha needs to be in the top classes for bball and football, if they're just suddenly going to bootstrap themselves to the top of the state with all these DI players.

Certainly not last night. He was tossing up bricks like an apprentice at a construction site...
Do you know which one Chet is? He went 7/8 last night overall. He shot 87.5%. He shot at least 66.66% on 3s...sorry he was 2/2 on 3s. He shot 100%. He could have made more shots to impress you I guess?

Last edited:

Open enrollment is the law in the state. ISD196 doesn't have to offer those guys scholarships to get them in.

ANYWAY, I was just saying that, at least, Minnehaha needs to be in the top classes for bball and football, if they're just suddenly going to bootstrap themselves to the top of the state with all these DI players.
I mean Minnehaha football has one state title in class 4A...why would they move up? I’m very confused by that argument. Should every team that wins a state title go to the biggest class? It would be chaos. They went 3-3 in 2020...
Basketball—sure they’ve been on a great run But I don’t think they win state at AAA next year. They are already up a class and it can take a couple years to move up again.

I mean Minnehaha football has one state title in class 4A...why would they move up? I’m very confused by that argument. Should every team that wins a state title go to the biggest class? It would be chaos.
Basketball—sure they’ve been on a great run But I don’t think they win state at AAA next year. They are already up a class and it can take a couple years to move up again.
Totino or CDH (can't remember which) play up two classes in football, if you base it purely off enrollment (which is a stupid and silly thing to argue for private schools, of course).

It's based off the number of DI (P5 !) kids they suddenly seem to have these days.

Totino or CDH (can't remember which) play up two classes in football, if you base it purely off enrollment (which is a stupid and silly thing to argue for private schools, of course).

It's based off the number of DI (P5 !) kids they suddenly seem to have these days.
They HAD. They graduated. They aren’t a football powerhouse. They went 3-3 in 2020. Suggs, Johnson and Lockett were the team. And they lost to Rocori.
I agree they could move up again for basketball but they aren’t that good at football. They’d lose nearly every game in 6A, probably by 20-30 points on average.

They HAD. They graduated. They aren’t a footba powerhouse. They went 3-3 in 2020. Diggs, Johnson and Lockett were the team. And they lost to Rocori.
I agree they could move up again for basketball but they aren’t that good at football. They’d lose nearly every game in 6A, probably by 20-30 points on average.
So you really think it was just some miracle, freak occurance that Minnehaha suddenly had all these P5/DI recruits, and that it will never happen again?

So you really think it was just some miracle, freak occurance that Minnehaha suddenly had all these P5/DI recruits, and that it will never happen again?
I didn’t say that. But I’d be surprised if they ever had 3 4 star recruits again in the same class. But you don’t move a team up because maybe in the future they’ll be really good again. Now you’re just changing the argument so I’m good with ending here. in summation—Minnehaha basketball is loaded and could move up but they won’t be dominant next year.
minnehaha football was .500 this year and has 1 state title despite having “all these P5/D1” recruits and shouldn’t move up.

He was impressive in the two televised games.

Minnehaha’s reign will be slowing down. Suggs, Lockett, Chet, Smith, and Kaden Johnson’s families all knew each other. Kids started playing together early. Some of the parents went to high school together. That’s how they ended up at Minnehaha middle school as a group. Aligbe came Chase Carter etc... Isaiah Davis transferred from Apple Valley and then Millers came in. Minnehaha met some of the demands Suggs wanted. CDH would not. WITH Suggs they got handled by two big school teams last year EP and CDH. I heard there are some unhappy people at Minnehaha despite the winning and cold be a transfer or two.

Minnehaha’s reign will be slowing down. Suggs, Lockett, Chet, Smith, and Kaden Johnson’s families all knew each other. Kids started playing together early. Some of the parents went to high school together. That’s how they ended up at Minnehaha middle school as a group. Aligbe came Chase Carter etc... Isaiah Davis transferred from Apple Valley and then Millers came in. Minnehaha met some of the demands Suggs wanted. CDH would not. WITH Suggs they got handled by two big school teams last year EP and CDH. I heard there are some unhappy people at Minnehaha despite the winning and cold be a transfer or two.
Yep, already lost Demarion Watson

Good info. Thanks.
The SMB vs Rocori state football championship game was outstanding. I’m biased as my wife’s cousin played for Rocori and was a key reason for the win—but the game was excellent. Showed a team vs some stars.

Top Bottom