All Things 2019-2020 Other College Basketball Games Thread

Nine of the big ten teams have 6 or 7 losses and a tenth (Purdue) with 8 losses. After tiebreakers, could possibly have a weakling Wednesday team with a 9 - 11 record and on the ncaa bubble. Definitely a unique season.
T-rank's stats currently predict not only a 9-11 team but also a 10-10 team playing on weakling Wednesday.

My Aztecs lose their first game of the season to UNLV. I imagine they will fall far in the rankings. Heck of a run though, 26 straight.

Go Gophers!!

My Aztecs lose their first game of the season to UNLV. I imagine they will fall far in the rankings. Heck of a run though, 26 straight.

Go Gophers!!
Maybe Utah State has a chance at the MWC tourny championship after all

Craig Smith's offense is beautiful, but I don't know when I've seen an uglier cranium on a guy.

Craig Smith's offense is beautiful, but I don't know when I've seen an uglier cranium on a guy.
South_Dakota_coach_Craig_Smith_in_2017.jpg

screen-shot-2018-08-27-at-105236-am.png

Caught the last 5:50 of Utah at New Mexico tonight. I hadn't seen Craig Smith/Utah State at all this year and I was left with a really negative impression. Utah State had just lost their PG to a flagrant 2 foul and New Mexico would score 4 points on the possession. Utah State was still ahead but it was tenuous and the announcer commented that Utah State was up by as many as 14 points in the game. I got a good look at crunch time from Utah State. Offensively, I don't want to make too much of what I saw because it appeared not having their PG limited them. There was some nice ball movement, but they were heavily dependent on Merrill (who was not recruited by Smith). Defensively I had more concerns as they were running primarily zone (some 1-2-2) and could not get any stops. New Mexico would take the lead by 1 with under a minute left on a dunk where a Utah State guard made the egregious mistake of also fouling which allowed New Mexico to take the lead at the line. Utah State would call timeout after getting the ball to the frontcourt and now I had an opportunity to watch what Smith would draw up in a crucial situation...unfortunately a poor/weak pass on an initial action would lead to a steal and a dunk the other way. New Mexico by 3. Utah State responds by bringing the ball up and running a series of ball screens, handoffs and other actions looking for the tying 3 but it's taking a LONG time. Finally, to their credit, they get an open look (though not for one of there best shooters) from the top that misses. That was essentially the game. I would have liked to see a timeout from Smith when the initial action didn't produce an open look as the game was basically over after the missed 3 because it took so long.

Obviously this is an insanely small sample size and means almost nothing, just not a good impression. I thought it was worth sharing because there were so many crunch time situations to watch in addition to just how the team responded to adversity in a very important road game. This was Utah State's last regular season game and I have to imagine they will now need a deep run in the MWC tournament, if not winning the tournament, to make the NCAA tournament. That could have implications on whether Smith is even considered for the Gopher job.

Caught the last 5:50 of Utah at New Mexico tonight.
Thanks for sharing this post, you obviously seem very knowledgeable on the game mechanics/strategy, which I am not.

I hadn't seen Craig Smith/Utah State at all this year and I was left with a really negative impression. Utah State had just lost their PG to a flagrant 2 foul and New Mexico would score 4 points on the possession. Utah State was still ahead but it was tenuous and the announcer commented that Utah State was up by as many as 14 points in the game.
Interesting game flow.
half - US 32 NM 33
15:41 - US 39 NM 38
11:46 - US 52 NM 38
3:34 - US 57 NM 57
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401173805

This was Utah State's last regular season game and I have to imagine they will now need a deep run in the MWC tournament, if not winning the tournament, to make the NCAA tournament. That could have implications on whether Smith is even considered for the Gopher job.
I would guess this is probably correct, though some fans here have also been advocating for Niko at CO St, same conference, hired at roughly the same time, worse results (though he started from a lower place it seems, and definitely improved them year 2 to 1).

They still got the #2 seed in the MW, which they would've gotten regardless of winning this final game. And probably, they would've still needed to at least make the final (presumably against SDSU) to have a legit shot, picking up two more wins in the tourny.

I was hoping they'd win out in the regular season, but this close loss, with home-cookin' ref ejection of a key player, still leaves them with pretty much everything in front of them. If they could knock off SDSU, that would obviously be huge.

Maryland losing throws the top of the conference into a crazy final week.

UT State takes care of New Mexico, moving on to the semi tonight vs .... Wyoming! They continue the Cinderella story as the #11 seed, knocking off #3 Nevada.

Could be a good thing for USU, if Wyoming is out of magic/gas and can't keep it up tonight.

I think making it to the final (winning tonight) to face SDSU, would be enough to lock them into an at-large spot in the tourny?

UT State takes care of New Mexico, moving on to the semi tonight vs .... Wyoming! They continue the Cinderella story as the #11 seed, knocking off #3 Nevada.

Could be a good thing for USU, if Wyoming is out of magic/gas and can't keep it up tonight.

I think making it to the final (winning tonight) to face SDSU, would be enough to lock them into an at-large spot in the tourny?
If the Utah State coach is your guy, do you want him to make the tournament? If he does, then you have to wait, hope his team doesn't get hot and he becomes the next "sure thing" based on a game or two.

If the Utah State coach is your guy, do you want him to make the tournament? If he does, then you have to wait, hope his team doesn't get hot and he becomes the next "sure thing" based on a game or two.
Most of the coaching action for hires happens at the coaches convention,early april.

How the #&$! does that Wisconsin team win a Big Ten title. Indiana blew it down the stretch, had a 7 point lead late and couldn't score after that.

How the #&$! does that Wisconsin team win a Big Ten title. Indiana blew it down the stretch, had a 7 point lead late and couldn't score after that.
I believe there is a good chance Builtb will tell you.

Indiana and Archie Miller mimicked Mn and rp. Remember how great a coach Archie is. Just ask badger.

Rutgers beat Purdue in overtime to finish 11-9 and 21-10. I believe that Rutgers should be in and Indiana and Purdue should be out (absent a great Big Ten tournament performance, of course). Since Purdue beat Indiana in their lone game this season and they have the same conference record, Indiana should be the last Weakling Wednesday team.

Indiana and Archie Miller mimicked Mn and rp. Remember how great a coach Archie is. Just ask badger.

Give it a rest. Calling out particular posters on a message board for their opinions is juvenile and bush league.

Rutgers beat Purdue in overtime to finish 11-9 and 21-10. I believe that Rutgers should be in and Indiana and Purdue should be out (absent a great Big Ten tournament performance, of course). Since Purdue beat Indiana in their lone game this season and they have the same conference record, Indiana should be the last Weakling Wednesday team.

Seth Davis thinks Purdue is still in. If that's the case, this is the weakest bubble of all-time (which seems to be said every year).

Seth Davis thinks Purdue is still in. If that's the case, this is the weakest bubble of all-time (which seems to be said every year).

Either that or they're giving teams too much credit for playing in the Big Ten. Purdue has made 5 straight NCAA tournaments prior to this year. If they have a mediocre year this season, they should be skipped. Give some other team a chance instead of them.

If Wisconsin is the best this conference has I expect a disappointing NCCA record for Big Ten. Maybe there are few elite teams nationwide. But good coaching as in Wisconsin’s case can only get you so far I would think.

Top Bottom