All Things 2016 Gophers Baseball Season Thread

hXBzX2v.jpg

Rodriguez scores on a wild pitch by Minnesota and Wake Forest is now up 3-0 in the top of the 5th.

CkDQoQwUoAATIem.jpg

CkDGUYkUkAI5faJ.jpg

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yet another Wake Forest HR extends the lead to 5-0.

Am I just talking to myself here? TexAgs has an 80 post thread on this game, I guess I'll just go back over there. :(

Am I just talking to myself here? TexAgs has an 80 post thread on this game, I guess I'll just go back over there. :(

Looks like it. Not much to talk about...predictable performance by MN.

Home run Fielder! Cuts the lead to 3.

5-2, bottom of the 8th.

Pitching change for WF.

BOT 9, tying run for the Gophers at bat, with another pitching change taking place. Mullet from 3rd is on the mound.

When there are only 23 pages for the entire season I wouldn't expect a whole lot of posts.

Gophers lose game 1 5-3 to Wake Forest. Sawyer didn't have great stuff at all today and didn't have great control either. Usually he can keep guys off balance with a good slider and real good changeup to go along with a low 90's fastball but it didn't look like he had either the slider or change today and had to rely heavily on the fastball. Wake struck first in the 3rd after sitting the 1st 2 batters down quickly and getting 1-2 on the 3rd hitter Sawyer walked the guy and then gave up a 2 run homer. Wake got a cheap run in the 5th as they got a guy reached on an error by bunting and Hanson couldn't make the catch at 1st base. The guy should have been called out for running inside the line and on the grass and that is what 14 argued but the ump must have missed it. That runner would move to 2nd on a wild pitch and 3rd on a ground out before another wild pitch scored him. Wake would get their final 2 runs in the 6th getting 2 solo homeruns. Gilbreath and Glowicki combined for the final 3 innings and didn't give up a run. Gophers offense hit some balls hard including a couple of drives to the wall but a lot of stuff was right at Wake guys and they made the play so the Gophers didn't have anything to show for it most of the game. Gophers had a chance for an early lead and I think that would have been big with the way they have played lately but didn't take advantage. Coffey had a leadoff double but 14 opted not to have Vavra bunt and he flew out to left and Hanson and Smith followed with strikeouts. Gophers finally got on the board in the 8th as Motl had a 1 out double and following a strikeout Fiedler would get a 2 run homerun off Dunshee and Wake would make the call to the bullpen. Athmann and Coffey followed with 2 out singles before Vavra drilled one right at the CF for the 3rd out. Gophers added another run in the 9th with a Smith solo homerun and following a Boxwell walk Wake brought in the closer Craig with the tying run at the plate and he was able to retire Motl and Schaefbauer with groundouts. Wake's starter Dunshee was solid but the Gophers just plain missed on some very good pitches to hit and some mistakes he made. They hit some stuff hard but just couldn't string hits together and cash in. While Wake's offense was solid it sounds like there is a pretty big drop off after Dunshee so hopefully the Gopher's can take care off business tomorrow and get another shot at Wake Sunday.

When there are only 23 pages for the entire season I wouldn't expect a whole lot of posts.

That's just so odd to me. We'll hit that on a single game like this.

Edit: The game thread for Binghamton was 42 pages, plus derivative threads.

Finally got access so I can watch.

Drove me nuts yesterday not being able to.

The rain clouds must be directly over Olsen Field. I live a mile away and there's not even a sprinkle.

Four runs so far in the top of the fifth!

Gophers shortstop makes two straight errors. 5-3.

Tie game.

Should have been out of the inning giving up one.

SMH

First one wasn't an error.

Maybe not on the stat sheet......but the SS should have thrown the ball to first right away or at least flipped it to second. Would have been an out if he played it correctly.

Rain delay. Hopefully the Gopher team can use this opportunity to get it together.

Thought when the Gophers got 5 they would be able to put it away but after a very good 3 innings Anderson struggled with control in the 4th but was able to escape without giving up a run. That wasn't the case in the 5th as Anderson continued to struggle with control giving up a leadoff walk and then retiring the next 2 hitters while giving up a run but another walk, 2 singles, a couple of defensive mistakes from the Gophers, and another single allow Binghamton to tie it. Gophers made the move to the bullpen to bring in McDevitt right before the weather delay and hopefully he will be able to get the 3rd out and keep this tied and the Gophers can get back to work with the bats.

Gophers put up two more in the 6th to retake the lead. 7-5.

Gophers decide to extend their stay in College Station with an 8-5 win.

Great job by Ty McDevitt coming on after the rain delay getting a quick out to get out of the jam and then after the offense got some runs he continued to throw strikes and get outs going a solid 3 innings and saving some other guys in the bullpen. Mezzenga came in for Motl in CF for the bottom of the 9th looked like Motl may have tweaked something trying to beat out a grounder in the top of the 9th so hopefully he is good to go tomorrow. Hopefully Fiedler has his good stuff and good control tomorrow and if he does you gotta like our chances to at least play 2 tomorrow.

Listened to the Press conference, Gophs are either going to start Hansen or
Gilbreath tomorrow. Anderson said he'll decide after seeing who they play. I think Fiedler might have a blister. During the Big Ten tournament one of the announcers said it looks like he's struggling with a blister. That's my best guess. That's too bad, hopefully Fielder will be able to pitch game 5.

Listened to Press conference Gophs are either going to start Hansen or
Gilbreath tomorrow. Anderson said he'll decide after seeing who they play. I think Fiedler might have a blister. During the Big Ten tournament one of the announcers said it looks like he's struggling with a blister. That's my best guess. Too bad hopefully Fielder will be able to pitch game 5.
I just listened to that as well and was a little surprised. Other thing I wonder about with Fiedler is just how his arm is feeling having thrown so many more pitches this year than in previous seasons. Hopefully we need to start both Gilbreath and Hanson tomorrow and then have to worry about a 5th game Monday as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y8Hm1S2f3A

Top Bottom