All Things 2016 Gophers Baseball Season Thread

All games on BTN.

Wednesday, May 25
Bracket 1
#3 Indiana vs. #6 Maryland, 9 a.m.
#2 Nebraska vs. #7 Michigan State, 1 p.m.

Bracket 2
#1 GOPHERS vs. #8 Iowa, 5 p.m.
#4/5 Ohio State vs. #4/5 Michigan, 9 p.m.

I'm going with Ohio State to win the tournament. Best combination of hitting & pitching. Gophers, Nebraska, and Michigan receive at-large bids.

Tend to agree, especially with the amount of come from ahead losses the Gophers have racked up recently.

Another 1 run game and like Thursday this was one the Gophers kind of let slip away. Anderson started on the mound and really seemed like he didn't have his best stuff today. He battled through 5+ innings, gave up 4 runs(3 earned), and 8 hits. The bullpen would only give up 2 hits the rest of the way but they were 2 big hits as they were solo homeruns from Dawson. Hanson threw 2 scoreless and Gilbreath went 1 inning giving up the homerun to tie it then Glowicki came in pitching a scoreless 9th before giving up the homerun in the 10th with 1 out to Dawson. I really thought they would go to Jess to face Dawson in the 10th as he had warmed up and was ready. Glowicki did get up 0-2 on Dawson he just missed badly on the 0-2 pitch and Dawson took advantage. Offensively Gophers had the big 4th inning scoring 4 runs on 4 hits but did leave a runner at 3rd. The Gophers scored again in the 5th scoring 1 run on 3 hits but left runners at 1st and 3rd. Gophers could have tried to score Coffey who got left on 3rd and it would have been a close play but I think he would've been safe. After holding him Ohio State went to the bullpen and the Gophers decided to pinch hit Pettersen for R.Smith who weakly grounded out on the 1st pitch. I get the move to let the lefty hit against a tough right handed pitcher but use Estrada or somebody who gives you a much better chance of coming through with a 2 out hit and then put Pettersen in for him when you go to defense in the next half inning. Gophers had another chance to extend the lead in the 7th as Fiedler had a leadoff double but he tried to advance to 3rd on a groundball to SS and was thrown out and then Coffey hit into a double play to quickly end the threat. Gophers looked to have a threat in the 9th as well as Schaefbauer had a 1 out single and Fiedler looked to have beat the throw at 1st after the 3rd basemen bobbled it but the 1st base umpire bailed out Ohio State with a bad call. Instead it gave the Gophers a runner on 2nd with 2 outs for Athmann and after a long battle in a full count he would end up striking out after chasing a pitch inside. Umps seemed to definitely want to get out of there in the bottom of the 10th as the home plate ump was calling pitches strikes that were another 2-3 inches farther outside then he had the whole game and the final groundout off the bat of Hanson was one where he beat the throw by a half step but was still called out. Toby seemed like he was really gonna go off on the 1st base ump as immediately turned and went towards him but he was able to restrain himself. It was a terrible call but more important to move on and have Hanson available for Wednesday rather than serving a suspension.

Looking forward to the B1G tournament I think the Gophers are definitely capable of winning the championship. Need to get the job done against Iowa 1st but whether we face Michigan or Ohio State I like the matchup. We beat Michigan twice in tough conditions when they were rolling along pretty decently and I really feel like we gave Ohio State much of what they got offensively this weekend and they didn't earn too much. I didn't think they had a whole lot of depth to their lineup just needed to execute few pitches better on Dawson. As for the other half of the bracket Nebraska really seems to be hot right now and will have the big home crowd behind them. I think Maryland's pitching gives them a chance to make a run but the question will be can they get any offense going.

Tend to agree, especially with the amount of come from ahead losses the Gophers have racked up recently.

According to the announcers Friday night, the Gophers were 30-0 when leading after 7 innings coming into the weekend. Now they are 30-2.

Even though the offense had double digit hits in every game this week it didn't feel like the offense was on top of their game. Just too many good pitches to hit that the Gophers didn't take advantage of and really didn't seem to drive the ball a whole lot. Most of those pitches were just fouled off or missed. The bigger problem was it seemed like at times the hitters really bailed out pitchers swinging at tough pitches to hit early in the count and hitting stuff like soft groundballs and weak pop flys and that usually is a sign of a team pressing a little bit. Just need to find that discipline within the strike zone again and this offense will be tough to deal with in Omaha. Pitching wise the control just wasn't great in games 1 or 2 and gave up free bases. I wouldn't expect to see that again in Omaha and when the Gophers don't give up free bases they are a very tough team to beat.

Realistically, I don't see the Gophers getting out of regional play. So anything they can do just to make the NCAA Tournament and make an appearance in the tourney is a win in my book and would cap off a very solid season. Just haven't been playing well enough as of late to convince me they can beat a top 16 seed twice in 3 games.

Mentions Vavra had a setback Thursday which I kind of figured since he left late in the game and didn't play Friday or Saturday. It also said Riley Smith left with a tight hamstring and that is why Pettersen came in I still would have liked to see them use Estrada to hit in that spot before Pettersen entered in the bottom of the inning. Also says it is day-to-day with Vavra and he was going to hit in the 10th if the SS came up yesterday.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Regardless of how this year ends, it's definitely an impressive bounce back season for the program. The batting lineup should be potent for the next couple of years. Really impressed with a lot of new guys that came in. Program should be in good shape going forward

I saw the Gophers in person for the first time on Friday and was impressed. Not totally sold on Fiedler as a lights-out starter at the top of the rotation, but I think the Gophers and Ohio State are the two most complete teams in the conference. Too bad they're in the same half of the bracket.

Omaha weather forecast not looking so good

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I saw the Gophers in person for the first time on Friday and was impressed. Not totally sold on Fiedler as a lights-out starter at the top of the rotation, but I think the Gophers and Ohio State are the two most complete teams in the conference. Too bad they're in the same half of the bracket.
Fiedler has struggled the last couple weeks with control and it just didn't look like he had his best stuff either. If the Gophers have 1 game they need to win and I get to pick who to start on the mound I'd go with Sawyer. He has had a very good season and has great stuff and really the only problem he gets into some is with his control but with his stuff he is often able to escape those situations as well.

Agree that Fielder isn't lights out but he has a little bulldog in him which I like. In saying that, one of the reasons I actually think the Gophers could make it to their 1st Super Regional (IF they make the NCAAs...0-2 in the B1G and things might get dicey.) or further is that Sawyer is a VERY good #2 starter that can shut down anyone when he is going. One of the many advantages that host schools have is the ability to hold their ace in the #1 seed vs #4 seed game if the #4 seed is "weak". The host school/#1 seed holds him for the winners bracket game and has the advantage of getting the #2 pitcher from the team that won the #2 seed vs #3 seed game. IF the Gophers get in a Regional, and IF they win their first game they will be able to throw a guy that is their best starter when he is on. If on the top of his game, Sawyer can for the most part negate that advantage. When on, he can go pitch for pitch with anyone in my opinion. Toby Anderson is plenty capable as well as a #3 starter.

Another reason I could see the Gophers making a deep run is that they have a very formidable lineup. No doubt, they are not clicking on all cylinders right at the moment. However, that switch can get flipped back on quickly. All it takes is one breakout game. If you make a mistake to most of the guys in their lineup, especially Fiedler, Athmann, Coffey, and Hanson, they can send it out of the park in a hurry. They remind me of the 2009/2010 teams. McCallum, Kvasnicka, O'Shea, and Knudson would make pitchers pay for mistakes. Some of the big bad ACC/SEC teams have top of the line aces that throw some serious gas. When that heat they throw is a MISTAKE that ball goes along way when it leaves the ball park...!

Back in 2007 I was at the San Diego Regional (USD hosted at San Diego State's ballpark as their home field hadn't been renovated yet.), Mike Mee CRUSHED a mistake off of hard throwing Brian Matusz (The Torrero ace who was held out of the #1/#4 game versus Fresno State, which San Diego lost...!) in the first inning. The guy next to me, not an USD fan, but a San Diego State fan who was just there watching the local Regional, said "That is the farthest home run I've ever seen at this ballpark."

Here's to hoping the Gophers can get a little mojo back in the B1G tourney because I think they are going to be a force to be reckoned with if they can put it all together. IF they get in the NCAAs...

Agree that Fielder isn't lights out but he has a little bulldog in him which I like. In saying that, one of the reasons I actually think the Gophers could make it to their 1st Super Regional (IF they make the NCAAs...0-2 in the B1G and things might get dicey.) or further is that Sawyer is a VERY good #2 starter that can shut down anyone when he is going. One of the many advantages that host schools have is the ability to hold their ace in the #1 seed vs #4 seed game if the #4 seed is "weak". The host school/#1 seed holds him for the winners bracket game and has the advantage of getting the #2 pitcher from the team that won the #2 seed vs #3 seed game. IF the Gophers get in a Regional, and IF they win their first game they will be able to throw a guy that is their best starter when he is on. If on the top of his game, Sawyer can for the most part negate that advantage. When on, he can go pitch for pitch with anyone in my opinion. Toby Anderson is plenty capable as well as a #3 starter.

Another reason I could see the Gophers making a deep run is that they have a very formidable lineup. No doubt, they are not clicking on all cylinders right at the moment. However, that switch can get flipped back on quickly. All it takes is one breakout game. If you make a mistake to most of the guys in their lineup, especially Fiedler, Athmann, Coffey, and Hanson, they can send it out of the park in a hurry. They remind me of the 2009/2010 teams. McCallum, Kvasnicka, O'Shea, and Knudson would make pitchers pay for mistakes. Some of the big bad ACC/SEC teams have top of the line aces that throw some serious gas. When that heat they throw is a MISTAKE that ball goes along way when it leaves the ball park...!

Back in 2007 I was at the San Diego Regional (USD hosted at San Diego State's ballpark as their home field hadn't been renovated yet.), Mike Mee CRUSHED a mistake off of hard throwing Brian Matusz (The Torrero ace who was held out of the #1/#4 game versus Fresno State, which San Diego lost...!) in the first inning. The guy next to me, not an USD fan, but a San Diego State fan who was just there watching the local Regional, said "That is the farthest home run I've ever seen at this ballpark."

Here's to hoping the Gophers can get a little mojo back in the B1G tourney because I think they are going to be a force to be reckoned with if they can put it all together. IF they get in the NCAAs...

Didn't they sweep the Big Ten tourny in 2011 and then made it to the regional finals but lost twice to Fullerton? If they could pull off a run like 2011 Big Ten tourny they will go into the regionals on a hot streak, just like you said.

Didn't they sweep the Big Ten tourny in 2011 and then made it to the regional finals but lost twice to Fullerton? If they could pull off a run like 2011 Big Ten tourny they will go into the regionals on a hot streak, just like you said.

2010, but yes. Rosin was just throwing gas in their first game against #1 seeded Fullerton. Matyas was just mowing guys down from the pen as well in the first two games:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/baseball_champs_records/2010/D1/html/reg02cf.htm

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/baseball_champs_records/2010/D1/html/reg04cf.htm

We were at the game on Saturday and I was trying to figure out where the new locker room is located. There is a new building attached to the stadium on the first base side. Is this the locker room? It had three garage doors so I wasn't sure if this was the locker room or not. Do both teams (Gophers and visitors) use it or is there a locker room on the visitor side under the public restrooms?

We were at the game on Saturday and I was trying to figure out where the new locker room is located. There is a new building attached to the stadium on the first base side. Is this the locker room? It had three garage doors so I wasn't sure if this was the locker room or not. Do both teams (Gophers and visitors) use it or is there a locker room on the visitor side under the public restrooms?
That building is the new hitting facility.

B1G Tournament Game 1

#6 Maryland beats #3 Indiana 5-3 behind 16 strikeouts from Mike Shawaryn. Next up is #2 Nebraska vs. #7 Michigan State at 1 p.m.

B1G Tournament Game 2

#7 Michigan State stifles #2 Nebraska 5-1 behind previously struggling ace Cam Vieaux. That's 2 for 2 for the lower seeds in the tournament.

Not good for Nebraska and Indiana's hopes for at large. One of the two will go 0-2 in the tournament. I'd have to guess that will be Indiana. I'm happy we don't have to face them again. A win over Iowa is really important tonight and will set us up well for the weekend.

Not good for Nebraska and Indiana's hopes for at large. One of the two will go 0-2 in the tournament. I'd have to guess that will be Indiana. I'm happy we don't have to face them again. A win over Iowa is really important tonight and will set us up well for the weekend.

Indiana doesn't have a chance for an at-large. Agree that Nebraska would be wise to win a game, but still think they're reasonably safe even with 0-2 barbecue. OSU-Michigan is huge tonight. Both are bubble teams. Michigan really struggling, but then again so was MSU heading into the tourney.

Gophers down 5-0 after 2 and have looked awful to start. Gave up 2 in the 1st as Fiedler didn't have great control and missed his spot badly with 2 strikes to allow the hit to score the 2 runs in the 1st. Looked like he had settled in for the 2nd getting 2 quick outs but Iowa hit a ball to right field and Boxwell just missed it turning it into a triple. A solid single would follow and then Pettersen couldn't get the grounder out of his glove with another chance to end the inning and another couple singles would follow to build the lead to 5-0.

Now 8-2 after 5. Fiedler only went 2.1 giving up 5 runs on 8 hits and walking 2. Looked like the Gophers would get back into it in the 3rd with a leadoff walk to J. Smith followed by a single from Pettersen but Motl would line out to RF and Smith was doubled off at 2nd. Schaefbauer would follow that with a 2 run homerun to get the Gophers on the board. Iowa would get 3 more in the 5th helped out by 2 walks from Hanson. Now heading into the 6th Ty McDevitt is in to pitch.

McDevitt ends up going the final 4 innings working around some hits but not giving up a run he did a good job of saving the rest of the bullpen. Gophers came out and didn't play well early and just couldn't ever dig out of the hole. Gophers will play the loser of Ohio State/Michigan at 1 tomorrow and I'm kind of hoping for Michigan. Should see Sawyer on the mound and if he pitches the way he has pretty much all season we should have a pretty good chance to get a win.

McDevitt ends up going the final 4 innings working around some hits but not giving up a run he did a good job of saving the rest of the bullpen. Gophers came out and didn't play well early and just couldn't ever dig out of the hole. Gophers will play the loser of Ohio State/Michigan at 1 tomorrow and I'm kind of hoping for Michigan. Should see Sawyer on the mound and if he pitches the way he has pretty much all season we should have a pretty good chance to get a win.
Went to the game today, it was awful. Mostly Iowa fans made it even worse. The Gophers looked very dead today, no emotion. They better win tomorrow or NCAA bid will be in doubt. I know the scoreboard showed no errors but there could have and should have been maybe up to 3 in the first two innings. Tough one to watch, tomorrow is another day.

Went to the game today, it was awful. Mostly Iowa fans made it even worse. The Gophers looked very dead today, no emotion. They better win tomorrow or NCAA bid will be in doubt. I know the scoreboard showed no errors but there could have and should have been maybe up to 3 in the first two innings. Tough one to watch, tomorrow is another day.

I agree that NCAA tourney bid may be slipping through our fingers.

Agreed a few plays that won't go down as errors but plays that the Gophers usually make and should have made. Like the triple that went to RF should have been caught and out of the 2nd inning with 0 runs instead of 3 or the grounder to SS that Pettersen couldn't get out of his glove in the 2nd.

Ohio State beat Michigan last night 8-3 so we get Michigan today. A win today would really help solidify the NCAA tournament spot with Michigan currently sitting at 36 in the rpi. Need a win but I'm mostly hoping to see this Gopher team play at the level they have shown they are capable of and forget about yesterday. With both the Gophers and Michigan struggling a little right now an early lead could be big.

Give up 2 in the 8th to go down 3-2. Last run on a wild pitch. Every time they show the Gopher bench, the team is hanging their heads and look like they just want to get out of there. Bad body language.

Need to score at least 1 in the top of the 9th.

It's going to be a sweaty-palm Selection Monday

Still think Gophers will get an at-large, but to be safe it's probably best to root for Ohio State to win the tournament. Most sure thing of the remaining teams to get an at-large if they don't win the title.

Just a tough overall day for Gopher baseball. T.O. passes away this morning and the news comes out an hour or so before game time so who knows if the players/coaches knew before the game or not. Then you lose a heartbreaker 3-2 to Michigan.
Gophers had chances and just didn't execute enough. The game started well as Motl led off with a single and a Schaefbauer bunted him over to 2nd but Fiedler and Athmann were retired to keep the Gophers off the scoreboard. That was the case for the Gophers a lot of the day while Michigan was able to take advantage of the few chances they got. Michigan scored their 1st run in the 4th on a leadoff 2 strike ground ruled double where Sawyer looked like he just missed his spot. They moved him over to 3rd on a fly ball and a groundout scored him. After retaking a 2-1 lead in the top of the 8th Michigan got a lead off single and followed with a sacrifice bunt that Sawyer threw over Schaefbauer's head covering 1st base to set up 2nd and 3rd with nobody out. Jess came on and got a shallow fly ball to J. Smith for the 1st out. The next Michigan batter squirted a 2 strike pitch just over Coffey who was playing in at 3rd to tie the game. Following a hit batter Jess would get a strikeout of Michigan's 3 hitter to set up bases loaded and 2 out. Michigan's hitters were definitely having trouble with Jess breaking ball but a pitch in the dirt would get by Athmann and allow the go ahead run to score. That batter would eventually hit a ball to LF where J. Smith made a great diving catch to keep it a 1 run game but a quiet top of the 9th would end it for the Gophers. Sawyer really pitched a good game and that's a really tough loss for him to take. You could see how bad he felt when they showed him on camera and looked like he just kept saying sorry and apologizing when he came out. I really hope that isn't the last time he gets to step on the mound wearing that Gopher uniform.
I do think the Gophers will end up getting in the tournament but it will be a much more tense Selection Monday than it really needed to be. Hope the top teams win their conference tournaments and I would think it would also be beneficial for teams the Gophers have beat this year to win some more games through this weekend and maybe improve the RPI some.

Top Bottom