Alex Kaliakmanis: Trying very hard not to comment on a program that our family decided to cut ties with.

He’s not getting the support and development he needs, and that likely has much to do with it. I know a QB recruit and his father who have no interest with the program given the QB support and development, or lack thereof, they have seen over the years. I do appreciate the optimistic approach you consistently take though.

Play better. Coaches always support a player who produces when given his chance.

The coaches supported him enough to start him every game despite the erratic play. Seems to me they really wanted him to succeed and play through it. Just didn’t happen

For the record, I want AK to stay. And if he wakes up tomorrow and says, "WTF was I thinking. I want to be here" I would be fine with that. He has been a class act in public.
100% agree. Ideal scenario would be to have some good options at QB and pick from them. If AK is the best then so be it.

Yeah the dad probably needs to stay off of social media. Kid seems like a good kid, just was not a fit here it is to bad. I dont think the dad wants to brag about his statistical preformance i mean if you look at any metric out there he is a bottom 10-15% of college football.

Also we ate up a second scholarship on your other son that does not have any business being in the big ten.

I think the most interesting thing to watch is where he ends up. Does he end up at a power 5 school or does he take it down a notch to a MAC school??
Where he ends up isn't like he gets to seek the level or the school he desires. It seems unlikely to me he gets Power 5 offers....so he can think he is much better but likely HAS to move down because those are the only offers he gets. Then if he plays well he can be a grad school QB at a Power 5.

I mean, Connor Rhoda (graciously returning as a grad student) had a better 2017 completion percentage and passer rating for fuck's sake. AK needs to be better to keep a starting position in just about any college team at any level. Dad should be humble about that.

Now, what we don't know is if AK was playing with a chronic injury or some other hidden issue. Sometimes, how coaches handle those issues can cause resentment with parents.

Last edited:

Seemed to work for Mertz.
Would be curious to hear from Mertz about that. Personally, I think it has more to do with his fit within the system and the talent around him. I doubt a QB coach magically changed Mertz's throwing motion and he all of a sudden got that much better. And if AK thinks he will fit better in a different system, I respect that.

Yeah I just looked Mertz blew away AK in terms of stats. Like others have posted if he ends up power 5 would be surprised if he ends up as a starter at a power 5 would be astounded.

We really have only 2 starting QB data points...Tanner and Athan...under this regime.

Tanner's performance peaked in 2019 and he's received his share of criticism for '20, '21, and '22.

However there does seem to be a different "trajectory" around Athan than Tanner. Don't know if it's real or not and fact is with him leaving the experiment does not get run.

I hope Coach does not take the bait here...

I don't think anything he's said up to this point is factually incorrect. I think he would be better suited to not get into twitter arguments though. It's not going to get him what he's looking for.

Factually? Has he posted much in the way of actual facts?

Seems like mostly vague sour grapes and innuendo.

The whole, 'There's so much more I could tell you, but I won't' thing is just petty and small.

Last edited:

Would be curious to hear from Mertz about that. Personally, I think it has more to do with his fit within the system and the talent around him. I doubt a QB coach magically changed Mertz's throwing motion and he all of a sudden got that much better. And if AK thinks he will fit better in a different system, I respect that.
His stats improved dramatically across the board. Part of my point is that, the scheme/system matters . Fleck made it sound like he understood that with AK from his comments preseason, but it clearly did not change.

Factually? Has he posted much in the way of actual facts?
There is no committed transfer QB yet.
That's factual, and the statement the dad made that the previous poster was referring to.

Try to keep up.

Is he wrong at this point?

While I am fully on board with getting a new OC - I see very little upside with Athan. I can understand being protective of your kid, but this isn't intramurals, HS, or even D3. The Big Ten itself signed a 7.7 billion dollar contract with Fox. They rake in like $845+ million in revenue. P5 football is a pro sport and these players are expected to play well or get replaced. Every team in the Big Ten needs way more than a nice guy to play the most important position on their roster. I wish the kid well. Maybe he'll turn things around at an easier level - which is where I expect he will go.

Top Bottom