Alex Kaliakmanis: Trying very hard not to comment on a program that our family decided to cut ties with.

On the sidelines AK and PJ were chatting it up during the Wisconsin game.

I was watching through binoculars and it seemed to be a regular coaching conversation, AK even seemed to smile.

That post makes me think PJ had a difficult conversation about AK's future starting prospects after the game ... and considering the season, that conversation should not have been a complete surprise.

Last edited:

Could it be AK expressed that he wasn't getting the support and development he felt he needs to get better from his coaches, and didn't get the response he was looking for?
This is what I think the real reason is. He doesn't mesh with Harbaugh and PJ isn't moving on from Harbaugh. This could either be a lack of support to improve, or a call to go so above and beyond to improve that it doesn't match how Athan wants to spend college.

Could it be AK expressed that he wasn't getting the support and development he felt he needs to get better from his coaches, and didn't get the response he was looking for?
I think it’s more of a family seeing the writing on the wall inside and outside the walls of the program and needing a change. Pretty sure most of us would do the same as AK and his family are doing and entering the portal.

It could be a lot of things, although I think that scenario is a lot less likely than other, performance-based (or playing time) scenarios. It could also be he feels he doesn't mesh with the OC. Sometimes things are just not a good fit.

I think it’s more of a family seeing the writing on the wall inside and outside the walls of the program and needing a change. Pretty sure most of us would do the same as AK and his family are doing and entering the portal.
well -- the truth should come out fairly soon. It will get very interesting so stay tuned!!

Imagine you are AK's dad. Can you imagine thinking, "My son is so much better than this"?

I can, easily.

Not saying he's right.
I've been coaching sports for 30 years and also have had my own kids in sports for many years.... I'd say about 99% of parents think their kid is better than what they are seeing. I may have even been guilty of it myself at times.

Last edited:

Understandable. I had this same conversation with my son, years ago...

"Son, here's an important life lesson: if you play poorly, just blame the coach. Easy-peasy."

So "Will start with this." Is Dad planning to release more info? I imagine Charlie Walters's bird is salivating. I don't think you're helping your son, Dad, even if you are hurt.
Next up "I hate drama!"

Imagine you are AK's dad. Can you imagine thinking, "My son is so much better than this"?

I can, easily.

Not saying he's right.
I think the most interesting thing to watch is where he ends up. Does he end up at a power 5 school or does he take it down a notch to a MAC school??

I've been coaching sports for 30 years and also have had my own kids in sports for many years.... I'd say about 99% of parents think their kid is better than what they are seeing.

If the kid plays poorly, it's the coach's fault.

I can, easily.

Not saying he's right.
100%. Running to the garbage dumps of the internet to try to defend him would not be my first, second, 10th, or 25th approach however. Move on with grace, no one who's relevant gives a shit about the why's or how's, they want to know how you grow from this decision. This just stinks of sour grapes, focus on what you can do to secure your kid's future. His time here is done.

It could be a lot of things, although I think that scenario is a lot less likely than other, performance-based (or playing time) scenarios. It could also be he feels he doesn't mesh with the OC. Sometimes things are just not a good fit.
With other QBs leaving, I tend more to think it is the coaches and the scheme.

With other QBs leaving, I tend more to think it is the coaches and the scheme.
Viotto leaving is interesting. Will be curious to learn more about that.

Athan leaving is 100% because PJ offered a grad transfer QB. Even if AK thinks he can beat out the grad transfer, he probably didn't like the idea of having to compete for the starting spot or at a minimum didn't like the lack of confidence from the coach (I'd probably do the same thing in his position). I'm not going to post the stats again but AK, statistically-speaking, is one of the worst all-time Gopher QBs. ANY coach that has a QB like that is going to explore options.

Last edited:

He’s not getting the support and development he needs, and that likely has much to do with it. I know a QB recruit and his father who have no interest with the program given the QB support and development, or lack thereof, they have seen over the years. I do appreciate the optimistic approach you consistently take though.

Alex K, please, for your son's sake, stay as far away from the Gopherhole as possible. We, here, speak from ignorance and we toss out opinions like a person shits after a meal at taco bell. It ain't pretty and it is ignorant of the ingredients that were involved in the making of the meal.

So, I wish your family well and I hope your son gets that release point fixed at the next school he attends. Hang in there and... don't get sucked in to this cesspool of negativity.

(Do you think Alex K will read this???)

Top Bottom