Alex Kaliakmanis: Trying very hard not to comment on a program that our family decided to cut ties with.

It's why I don't have FB, IG, X, etc.
Bingo. People going after Athan on social media are idiots. Engaging with idiots online makes you an idiot. It’s the height of insecurity to constantly feel the need to set people straight and make people like you online.

That said, I hope his dad keeps tweeting. I want the TEA!

I will add that I doubt Rossi all of a sudden forgot how to coach a defense. We do need to find some players though to fix those gaps.
Somebody forgot something at North Carolina when the defensive staff gave NC a free TD.

It's why I don't have FB, IG, X, etc.
Me, too. A huge aspect of Social Media is opening the gates for people seeking self-promotion or self-affirmation. Along with that comes the dreaded opposite, whether deserved or not.

We wonder why so many of our youth suffer from some sort of depression or anxiety. People were very concerned about video games melting the minds of our youth. It seems the joystick was a lot less dangerous than the mouse.

Stay off Twister, Dad...focus on a fresh start for your kids. They'll thank you for it in the long run.

Guys....not sure why we jump on the Dad when his son and 4 other QB's are unhappy. Suggests to me the coaching is certainly part of the problem.
We gave Athan the keys to the car and 17 starts, he should have been yanked in several games this year. We lost Knuth, Clark, and Annexstad because coaches were all in on AK, now they’re insinuating he wasn’t nurtured by coaches? I don’t think so, they gave him more than enough chances to improve. If you can’t complete a 5 yard pop pass to win a game maybe you’re not Big material.

Last edited:

Bingo. People going after Athan on social media are idiots. Engaging with idiots online makes you an idiot. It’s the height of insecurity to constantly feel the need to set people straight and make people like you online.

That said, I hope his dad keeps tweeting. I want the TEA!

Wait a second, what is the purpose of this site again?

You can't blame a parent in his shoes to want a change of scenery when looking at the offense, his son's development, and the way things went this year.

He can say it's not about some random transfer QB but unfortunately it is kind of all connected. If the U wasn't bring in a transfer QB, Athan could not pick a better QB room to enter. He'd be the clear starter, he'd be playing in the Big 10, etc. I don't think Athan falls into a better situation than what could have been at Minnesota (if he were successful).

It didn't work here because he didn't develop and that meant we had to bring in a transfer QB. Why didn't he develop? There is probably some blame to be spread in a lot of directions.

Dad should definitely get off social media for his son's sake. But if after Athan lands it would be interesting to hear Dad's honest appraisal of the season.

I could see Bielema taking a shot on Athon Kaliakmanis. He is a Illinois guy and Illinois head coach probably thinks he can play for him at home. That coach probably thinks he can fix him and it would be a good fit.

Altmyer is only a sophomore and a better QB. If AK wants to sit on the bench, IL would be a great option.

Last edited:

Who knew GH would be a source of great stand-up? Good job Founders!

While pops should keep his mouth closed, I get why he's defensive. His son is getting mocked, and a lot of bad s*** went on with our offense this year that was out of AK's control.

I think it's a good move for both parties to move on, but I believe Athan was hung out to dry a bit with the offensive philosophy and the WR talent.
Good post which sums up not only what I’m thinking, but probably the reality of the situation. Athan has started what, 17-18 games now? He just didn’t improve. Part of that could be the coaches who stifle his ability to grow and learn with the way they (PJ) wants the offense run. But Athan has to bear the responsibility for continually throwing balls 8 feet into the ground in front of receivers and 200 miles an hour to receivers 5 yards from him. I think is just wasn’t going to work.

Good post which sums up not only what I’m thinking, but probably the reality of the situation. Athan has started what, 17-18 games now? He just didn’t improve. Part of that could be the coaches who stifle his ability to grow and learn with the way they (PJ) wants the offense run. But Athan has to bear the responsibility for continually throwing balls 8 feet into the ground in front of receivers and 200 miles an hour to receivers 5 yards from him. I think is just wasn’t going to work.

BSF went from being the team's leading receiver with a low drop percentage (and All Conference NFL prospect) in 2022 to the 3rd option and a high drop percentage. I gotta believe some of that is on the QB. That sudden regression was weird.

Altmyer is only a sophomore and a better QB. If AK wants to sit on the bench, IL would be a great option.
How do you know Altmyer will not transfer to try and get some additional NIL money? Everyone rhink's they are worth something or more money than reality these day's.

How do you know Altmyer will not transfer to try and get some additional NIL money? Everyone rhink's they are worth something or more money than reality these day's.

He already transferred from Ole Miss, so less likely. Bielema could have hit the jackpot. A decent transfer QB with three years of eligibility left.

Just out of curiosity, what are the "solid foundations" and cornerstones that are evident to you from this past year that we should all hold firm to? The offensive play-calling, the in-game adjustments that were so evident in 2nd halves this year, the dynamic way the players rallied and fought for their coaches in every game, the standout Special Teams play we have displayed the last several years, or the talent identification and development by this staff? Just wondering were all the Pollyanna's see the progress and hope for the future. I would love to have it, but I don't see changes being made in the program that show progress.
Well, getting a new QB is a big change...we'll have to wait and see whether that results in progress. PJ made a big QB change because he's trying not to be the big change made next year!

This is big business and big time sports people! Patience is not in the cards for coaches or players.

PS - I'm sort of disappointed I wasn't able to get the word BIG into that last sentence...

Go Gophers!!
Reading between the lines…Dad K is protecting his son, who tried hard but didn’t succeed…Dad K is unhappy that the program appears to place a decent portion of blame for a failed season on the main player on the team, who, if he’s honest with himself, did not have a good year. Dad K deserves his say, and he can even blame coaches for not developing his son properly, or mismanaging the gameplan or practices or something. But bottom line is that AK clearly did not play well enough this season to avoid criticism, and maybe that’s a shame, but it’s the life of a person who decided to try to be the starting QB on a proud D1 football program.

Let's see if Fleck can find a decent QB for 2024.

If he can find somebody who simply makes the routine plays consistently, gets the ball out on time, makes accurate throws, keeps the chains moving... well, I think the play-calling, scheme, etc. will suddenly look vastly improved.

Last edited:

Sure.

We had 85 scholarship players in 2005, and we'll have 85 scholarship players in 2024.

We'll find someone who wants to put the pads on and get a scholarship.

he also needed to be able to run the ball in this system, and he either couldn’t or wouldn’t. The Gophers don’t need a pocket passer, they need someone who can read the read-option. One of the most frustrating aspects of watching AK over the past two seasons was that he so rarely made the right call on read options.

Yeah. Hard for me to feel bad for a guy who has a full ride and was trusted with keys to the car who frankly doesn’t get the ball out on time or to the right spots with accuracy.

We have had worse quarterbacks than him. I would take him over Croft. I would take him over Rhoda.

he also needed to be able to run the ball in this system, and he either couldn’t or wouldn’t. The Gophers don’t need a pocket passer, they need someone who can read the read-option. One of the most frustrating aspects of watching AK over the past two seasons was that he so rarely made the right call on read options.
We rarely run the read option
And I suspect when we do run “read option” it’s called from the sideline to keep, so not really an option

Friendly wager that whomever we sign from the portal has worse numbers next year than AK did this year?
Why friendly? Put your money where your mouth is if you're so sure. AK stunk, and I fucking hate PJs offense more than the US Congress. But his problems have zero to do with play calling. He has horrid footwork. No pocket presence. Zero touch. An uncanny ability to consistently stare directly at his target. Makes some of the worst reads I've ever seen a QB running rpo make. His throwing mechanics are in serious need of an overhaul, that 3/4 arm angle worked for Rich Gannon because he had all the things listed above that Athan doesn't. We would be seriously hard pressed to be worse at QB next year.

Well, it could be a coincidence but Knuth transferred, AK8 and Viotto say they are in the portal.
Kramer walked with the seniors indicating he didn't intend to return to Gopher football. The highly rated QB recruit from Atlanta? (maybe) was all Gophers until a couple weeks later he wasn't.
That leaves us with a freshman walk-on who hasn't spoken about his contentment, that I've heard.
I'd say where there is smoke there is fire...I'm speculating...why do you think 5 guys all in a few months don't want to play QB for the Gophers?
That's why the rating for recruits means nothing.

Why friendly? Put your money where your mouth is if you're so sure. AK stunk, and I fucking hate PJs offense more than the US Congress. But his problems have zero to do with play calling. He has horrid footwork. No pocket presence. Zero touch. An uncanny ability to consistently stare directly at his target. Makes some of the worst reads I've ever seen a QB running rpo make. His throwing mechanics are in serious need of an overhaul, that 3/4 arm angle worked for Rich Gannon because he had all the things listed above that Athan doesn't. We would be seriously hard pressed to be worse at QB next year.
Sounds good. 25 bucks whomever we get out of the portal has worse numbers next season than AK did this year.

Alex K, please, for your son's sake, stay as far away from the Gopherhole as possible. We, here, speak from ignorance and we toss out opinions like a person shits after a meal at taco bell. It ain't pretty and it is ignorant of the ingredients that were involved in the making of the meal.

So, I wish your family well and I hope your son gets that release point fixed at the next school he attends. Hang in there and... don't get sucked in to this cesspool of negativity.

(Do you think Alex K will read this???)
(Swallows bite of Chalupa Supreme)

Yep.

(Takes another bite of Chalupa Supreme)

Last edited:

Top Bottom