Alex Kaliakmanis: Trying very hard not to comment on a program that our family decided to cut ties with.

Honestly think he should look at a MVFC school.

Bouman from Buffalo doing really well at U of South Dakota, I believe.

Honestly think he should look at a MVFC school.

Bouman from Buffalo doing really well at U of South Dakota, I believe.

I've watched Bouman play several games. He's a little inconsistent - he'll make several sharp throws that are right on target, and then he'll throw up a wobbler or miss on his target. He's not much of a runner - mostly a pocket passer. and he has a fairly low release point - throws it off his shoulder instead of head-high or above. It's hard to say how he really compares to AK - B1G is a very different level compared to FCS. Now the QB at South Dakota State - I'd take him over AK.

Talented kid - Im sure it'll work out for the best.

I've watched Bouman play several games. He's a little inconsistent - he'll make several sharp throws that are right on target, and then he'll throw up a wobbler or miss on his target. He's not much of a runner - mostly a pocket passer. and he has a fairly low release point - throws it off his shoulder instead of head-high or above. It's hard to say how he really compares to AK - B1G is a very different level compared to FCS. Now the QB at South Dakota State - I'd take him over AK.
Dakotas have the spotlight on ESPN and ABC this Saturday, I believe SDSU 11am on ESPN and NDSU @ USD 130pm ABC.

Here is a piece hypothesizing landing spots for Athan. Top two spots: Northwestern and Iowa! Also, Tennessee (stretch), Syracuse and Northern Illinois. Surprisingly, no Auburn. Athan must be the only QB in the portal that isn’t projected as a good fit at Auburn.

NorthWestern better foundation for the future? I know this year was a big success for them, their recruiting is pretty poor under the new guy. He got them to rally, lets see now that it is his program for a year.

Last edited:

Here is a piece hypothesizing landing spots for Athan. Top two spots: Northwestern and Iowa! Also, Tennessee (stretch), Syracuse and Northern Illinois. Surprisingly, no Auburn. Athan must be the only QB in the portal that isn’t projected as a good fit at Auburn.

artificial unintelligence is the author ✍️

Bouman has been more of a game manager at USD. He hasn't won them any games. And this is year three for him. He redshirted at Iowa State before transferring to USD. Was used sparingly until late in the season in '22 and has been the starter all season in Vermillion this year. He's made a few nice throws but is inconsistent and disappears for big stretches of the game. USD's success is largely attributable to their defense and a better than average run game. Bouman initially contacted SDSU when leaving Ames but SDSU is pretty talented at QB. Gronowski should win the Walter Payton award. Chase Mason is a big strong Streveler type who initially played baseball at Nebraska. John Bell hasn't seen much time but the staff is high on him.

I don't think AK plays at a good MVFC school. If he's lucky, Illinois State will take him in. Western Illinois (no longer MVFC) or Eastern Illinois (OHVFC) are probably his best bet to find significant minutes if he wants to continue playing DI football close to home.

NorthWestern better foundation for the future? I know this year was a big success for them, their recruiting is pretty poor under the new guy. He got them to rally, lets see now that it is his program for a year.
Agreed. I assume that they still intend to terminate all of the assistant coaches who were around for the Fitzgerald hazing kerfuffle, so he will also have a nearly entirely new staff.

In 2021, both Bateman and Tyler Johnson were gone. Mo Ibrahim missed the entire season (except for 3 quarters of the first game).
Morgan led the team to 9 wins.

In 2022, no Bateman, no Johnson. Morgan completed 66.9% of his passes. 8.6 yards per attempt.
Chalk up yet another 9-win season.

A smart QB who understands the game, doesn't panic and makes routine throws is all that's required in this offense. Unfortunately, the Gophers didn't have that last season.
Both those years, the passing offense was ranked #118 and #115, respectively. Gophs had a scoring defense ranked well inside the top ten both those years...which makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

Both those years, the passing offense was ranked #118 and #115, respectively. Gophs had a scoring defense ranked well inside the top ten both those years...which makes a huge difference.
Likewise, getting first downs helps the defense

Yep. Complimentary football.

I can think of P5 programs who would like a QB with 17 B10 starts on their roster.
Not if they watched most of the starts...

I always hated when pundits said stuff like that. Just because a player has started games doesn't mean they are automatically better than other options. The context of those games matters and he was a detriment to the team in many of them.

I always hated when pundits said stuff like that. Just because a player has started games doesn't mean they are automatically better than other options. The context of those games matters and he was a detriment to the team in many of them.
Are you saying there were better options on the team than AK? Or in the portal in general?

Spencer Petras, for example, is headed to Utah State. His stats are similar to AK (although AK has a higher ceiling at this point in time). So my guess would be he ends up in the G5 somewhere.

I can think of P5 programs who would like a QB with 17 B10 starts on their roster.
I agree. "On the roster" is the key phrase here. Those saying he should be going to FCS or DII or something are forgetting that teams have depth charts and he would be a fine backup option even for a blue blood program.

He'll probably wind up at a peer program to Minnesota, but I wouldn't bet on him winning the starting gig.

He also does have the arm zip that he could be fixable to the level of an above-average college starter in the right system and right coaching. But QBs who fix significant accuracy and processing issues after as many starts as he's had are the exception not the norm.

I think you should be more concerned that you raised a son that tucks tail a runs when he faces some adversity.

He’s not getting the support and development he needs, and that likely has much to do with it. I know a QB recruit and his father who have no interest with the program given the QB support and development, or lack thereof, they have seen over the years. I do appreciate the optimistic approach you consistently take though.
The coaching staff isn't responsible for a players inability to make accurate passes.

Bouman has been more of a game manager at USD. He hasn't won them any games. And this is year three for him. He redshirted at Iowa State before transferring to USD. Was used sparingly until late in the season in '22 and has been the starter all season in Vermillion this year. He's made a few nice throws but is inconsistent and disappears for big stretches of the game. USD's success is largely attributable to their defense and a better than average run game. Bouman initially contacted SDSU when leaving Ames but SDSU is pretty talented at QB. Gronowski should win the Walter Payton award. Chase Mason is a big strong Streveler type who initially played baseball at Nebraska. John Bell hasn't seen much time but the staff is high on him.
Huh. You would think USD is meh, then.

Weren’t they like the #3 team/seed in all of FCS?? He can’t be that bad.

Guess I’ll have to see for myself on Sat. 130pm on ABC, see if the Bizon can redeem themselves in the playoffs

Huh. You would think USD is meh, then.

Weren’t they like the #3 team/seed in all of FCS?? He can’t be that bad.

Guess I’ll have to see for myself on Sat. 130pm on ABC, see if the Bizon can redeem themselves in the playoffs

USD has a balanced offense. they run the ball roughly 60% of the time. Bouman completes 67% of his passes for 9.1 yds per attempt with 14 TD and 4 INT. He doesn't hurt USD, but he doesn't win games by himself. USD runs the ball well, and their defense is +5 on turnovers with 31 QB sacks. they hold opponents to 15.4 points per game.

2021 - 37th in yards per completion
2022 - 18th in yards per completion
2023 - 119th in yards per completion

2023 was by far the least efficient passing game the gophers have had since 2017

2021 - 37th in yards per completion
2022 - 18th in yards per completion
2023 - 119th in yards per completion

2023 was by far the least efficient passing game the gophers have had since 2017

Factor in Yards per Attempt and it was the worst in either the Fleck or Kill eras. This was with 4 all conference pass catchers (past and present) in Jackson, BSF, Crooms and Spencer. Not a good year for the offense.

Are you saying there were better options on the team than AK? Or in the portal in general?

In the portal. I dont think his starts make him all that attractive to potential teams.

If he doesn't mind being a backup he might find spots (though why leave here then) but I dont think he will be a longterm starter even on a lot of top FCS teams unless he fixes a lot of glitches.

Top Bottom