After Friday's 13-10 win at Nebraska, Kirk Ferentz was still upset about the invalid fair catch call on Cooper DeJean after replay (Oct. 21 vs. MN)

Not sure what he gains by still bringing it up weeks later. Iowa is not a CFP team and the loss didn't keep them from winning the division. Just odd to still be upset about it weeks later, move on.

Going to be ugly for them next week against whoever wins this OSU/Mich game. They aren't going to score on offense unless something really flukey happens or their def gives them the ball at like the 1.

Put me in the crazy camp but I agree with KF on his general premise. The call was 100%.

However replay has gotten so far away from its original origins it’s not even funny. We got screwed by repay a couple times ourselves that game.

It’s become to much of a frame by frame, piece this and this together, maybe, maybe not.

I’m all for seeing every angle. But if you have to look at a shot 2,3,4 times it’s not clear and obvious. Every call should stand on field.

This was not the case for which KF was bitching about. However I agree blow the replay system up and go back to how it was meant. Human element belongs in the game right/wrong. Every team will be effected reguardless.

You all keep missing the point. Kirk was upset that the play WAS NOT called on the field. But was called in the press box. Certainly see why he was upset THEN but not now.

Not sure what he gains by still bringing it up weeks later. Iowa is not a CFP team and the loss didn't keep them from winning the division. Just odd to still be upset about it weeks later, move on.

Going to be ugly for them next week against whoever wins this OSU/Mich game. They aren't going to score on offense unless something really flukey happens or their def gives them the ball at like the 1.
He hates Fleck for going for 3 points to avoid a shut out.

1st he dislikes Fleck and can't understand how he could ever loose to "that clown".

While he's right about the flag I'm sure if we went through all the plays there were other calls that were missed that might have as crucial. He just needs to quit whining and accept that the Gophers were the better team that day.
Including blatant holding calls on their OL vs Jah Joyner.

Replay giveth and replay taketh away. Don't get it both ways, gramps.

My Hawk brother-in-law brought it up to Mrs. Billd during her Thanksgiving call to her brother. She listened politely as I chanted "We Got The Pig" silently in the background.

Really though...complaining about going 10-2 instead of 11-1 to a Gopher relative...when you will be absolutely destroyed by either Michigan or OH-IO State in a week? Typical Hawk...

Kirk knows the rule was applied correctly, he’s just pandering to Iowa’s inbred fan base who will eat this stuff up because they’re too dumb to read and listen to a basic interpretation of the rules.
I don’t think so. He still thinks his son isn’t the reason his offense sucks.

once again KF wasn’t upset with officials on the field. Replay made the call from the press box. I imagine he will be getting a substantial fine from the B1G.

once again KF wasn’t upset with officials on the field. Replay made the call from the press box. I imagine he will be getting a substantial fine from the B1G.
Yeah, it was the refs on the field that missed the Iowa player leaving the field of play and returning to block a Gopher. That’s a penalty that the refs missed…so naturally, he doesn’t have a problem with the refs.

He’s got a lot of internal anger about his son Brian being a flop as an OC and that Hawkeye fans universally revile Brian. The fact that ungrateful Hawkeye fans don’t unquestioningly accept inept nepotism drives him mad. He has to direct that anger somewhere.

Why does that matter? They got it right in the end. Was he upset that replay reversed the Crooms catch?

Yeah, it was the refs on the field that missed the Iowa player leaving the field of play and returning to block a Gopher. That’s a penalty that the refs missed…so naturally, he doesn’t have a problem with the refs.
They also missed a penalty on one of the guys trying to block the kick too. If called like it was supposed to, MN would have gotten a first down and the game would have essentially been over.

Iowa still had a chance to win even after the invalid fair catch.

They also missed a penalty on one of the guys trying to block the kick too. If called like it was supposed to, MN would have gotten a first down and the game would have essentially been over.

Iowa still had a chance to win even after the invalid fair catch.
Ferentz never mentions “invalid” fair catch. It’s like he just refuses to hear that part or doesn’t try to comprehend the necessity of the rule.

He can’t be that stupid, but he can be that blindly biased.

Ferentz never mentions “invalid” fair catch. It’s like he just refuses to hear that part or doesn’t try to comprehend the necessity of the rule.

I think he’s playing to his fan base.

I think he’s playing to his fan base.
It works out that way, but I think he has become arrogant making $7 million/year and basically being the big man on campus as the elder of the Big Ten coaches.

As a career reaches his length, a person becomes detached from their fans and tunes out criticism, and there is a significant amount of criticism about his son’s OC performance. Now Ferentz is a little bitter, thinking that the Iowa Athletic Dept owes him the respect to run the program as he see fit, with a great defense and special teams and a horrible offense. The dismissal of his son doesn’t sit well with him regardless of the obvious poor performance. I mean absolutely horrible performance. Ferentz has rationalized the offense’s performance with the team’s overall success. That too isn’t rational, just like his bitching about the refs.

4204i2.jpg

Yep....Iowa fans will always believe they got hosed. It doesn't matter what the rules are or why the call was made. In their mind it should have been a touchdown and nothing anyone says will ever get through.

You all keep missing the point. Kirk was upset that the play WAS NOT called on the field. But was called in the press box. Certainly see why he was upset THEN but not now.
I've gone full circle on replay and I know it would mean that Gophers didn't win the pig, but I would be fine with absolutely zero replay.

I also know that we may get screwed in one game but I also think at the end of the year about 50% of the calls will go your way and 50% of the calls go the other way.

It is sports and there is a human element. Both things are not clear and perfect. Mistakes and errors happen... they happen even with replay.

Yep....Iowa fans will always believe they got hosed. It doesn't matter what the rules are or why the call was made. In their mind it should have been a touchdown and nothing anyone says will ever get through.

If the exact opposite happened Iowa fans and coaches would be praising the officials for getting the call right and Minnesota fans and coaches would be talking about how they got screwed.

Top Bottom