According to multiple reports; Marcus Carr is expected to withdraw his name from the NBA and return to school next season.

Marcus Carr would be in the nba if Pitino didn't make him look so bad

Scouts saw him at plenty of workouts and gave him their feedback. They’ve taken plenty of other poorly coached guys before. Hopefully they mentioned they want him to stop the hero ball and play more efficiently. He won’t have to option to do that at Texas or other places cause they can just play someone else

Scouts saw him at plenty of workouts and gave him their feedback. They’ve taken plenty of other poorly coached guys before. Hopefully they mentioned they want him to stop the hero ball and play more efficiently. He won’t have to option to do that at Texas or other places cause they can just play someone else
Pitino and his street ball strategy was a student athlete nightmare. Don’t blame Carr

So. Listened to podcast with Doogie. Carr came up. Doogie said flat out that "MN did not want Carr back." Also said "that ship sailed a long time ago." According to Doogie, there were "issues" with last year's team and Carr was seen as one of the problems. Doogie also said Manley from UNC is 60/40 leaning toward going pro. And said Steffon Mitchell will likely wind up at San Diego State.

So. Listened to podcast with Doogie. Carr came up. Doogie said flat out that "MN did not want Carr back." Also said "that ship sailed a long time ago." According to Doogie, there were "issues" with last year's team and Carr was seen as one of the problems. Doogie also said Manley from UNC is 60/40 leaning toward going pro. And said Steffon Mitchell will likely wind up at San Diego State.
Damn Dutcher.

Starting Center: Eric Curry. Yikes.

Starting Center: Eric Curry. Yikes.
Do you redshirt TT, and just write this year off? Or do you play him a bunch, and get him experience as an 18 year old and bank that he's going to be a multiple year player here and not look to transfer before graduating, if at all?

I have no idea what the correct answer is.

Do you redshirt TT, and just write this year off? Or do you play him a bunch, and get him experience as an 18 year old and bank that he's going to be a multiple year player here and not look to transfer before graduating, if at all?

Great question.

Redshirt him. The best thing for TT’s development would be to redshirt. It just depends if TT agrees.. he is a major project.

No, I don't redshirt him. I don't redshirt anyone in this era of college basketball. What are the odds he will still be here in year 5? Very low. It's the last thing I'm worried about. He should play as much as he is able to physically handle.

In this new era I wouldn’t redshirt anyone unless it involves an injury. Players are going to leave programs at the drop of a dime. If they’re eligible — or in the Gophers’ case if they’re a warm body — they should be dressed and in uniform every game.

Thanks for all the thoughts! I see both side of the argument, but I tend to lean more towards the "this is a new era, you never know who will be here next year" side now. Will be interesting to see what Ben does - or perhaps his hand will be forced (hope not!)

Yep maybe a little harsh but man I am so down on how the last few months have gone. I was so ready to move on from Pitino and get this super exciting start, and its be the exact opposite. Fighting off low end mid majors or low majors for transfers, losing essentially our entire team and having no positive '22 momentum has really made for a frustrating time. Again, I hope BJ is a huge success, but early (yes I know VERY early) returns have been very disappointing.
Welcome to I told you so town. Remember the last 2 years? Check the message boards. Genuine excitement and enthusiasm. And now this... "Over / Under 3.5 conference wins?" "Honestly, I would be on the under at 0.5 wins." One step forward, eight steps back.

Pitino could have done a better job with him. However, even if he share the ball and was unselfish, Pitino can't make him taller, quicker. He can't defend really any position in the NBA, and he doesn't shoot well enough. He's not an NBA player.

true, great question. All I know is, if I was a great basketball mind, I would not want to coach this current roster or make that decision in the B1G.

Well the big question for SDGF is:

Are you going to be attending the Univ. of San Diego vs. St Thomas Pioneer League football game up on the hill on October 2nd?

My guess is no, and since I have a Gopher game to watch on TV that day I will not be there either. In the event of a open week, I was considering a Mission Beach AirBB to witness a little history of some sort, and maybe a Padres game.

true, great question. All I know is, if I was a great basketball mind, I would not want to coach this current roster or make that decision in the B1G.
Gotta start somewhere, and hope a spark somehow happens.

I mean, Oral Roberts made a run in the tourny with that roster. Of course, a tourny run is no where near the grind of a Big Ten season.

I'd think Kentucky could outbid an Australian team...

I would wish Marcus well in Australia.

Last edited:

i don't think so, he's not a great a defender and ball dominant player
Yeah, if you're going to be as ball dominant as Marcus Carr is, you need to be a better distributor and defender to have much of a career in the NBA. It would have been interesting to see how much of that was coached (all of our PGs dribbled the air out of the ball) and how much of that was Carr's game.

Yeah, if you're going to be as ball dominant as Marcus Carr is, you need to be a better distributor and defender to have much of a career in the NBA. It would have been interesting to see how much of that was coached (all of our PGs dribbled the air out of the ball) and how much of that was Carr's game.
Doesn’t even matter though. In the NBA, You can’t be ball dominant and be a bad defender unless you shoot lights out always.

carr shoots lights out sometimes but sometimes hurts the team by being a volume shooter who is off.

Top Bottom