According to multiple reports; Marcus Carr is expected to withdraw his name from the NBA and return to school next season.

Also, unless Carr graduated, he needs a waiver to play elsewhere. I do believe?
Hmm....I think you're right. Did Liam get a waiver yet? Maybe a little joint persuasion?

Anybody ever coached a team without the talent to initiate your offense? You don’t have a point guard and opposing coaches can make it impossible for you to run any kind of offense. You get pushed farther and farther away from the basket. Floor balance becomes a dream. Timing in your offense is impossible.
This isn’t as true with today’s offenses that are action and ball screen based vs pattern based. We have guys that can get ball across the floor. We don’t have one that can score consistently off the bounce like Carr, but defenses will also not just key in and spy on him like they did at the end of last year too.

A team that has 2 QB's has none. Same with PG's.
Recent National Champion started two at the same time ! Many coaches are doing this depending on skill sets ,spacing. Can really spread teams out.

This isn’t as true with today’s offenses that are action and ball screen based vs pattern based. We have guys that can get ball across the floor. We don’t have one that can score consistently off the bounce like Carr, but defenses will also not just key in and spy on him like they did at the end of last year too.
It’s been a couple of years (so my memory has faded and Willis has probably improved), but I recall Willis struggling to get the ball up the court when he was the primary ball handler. Defenses pressured a lot in those situations.

It’s been a couple of years (so my memory has faded and Willis has probably improved), but I recall Willis struggling to get the ball up the court when he was the primary ball handler. Defenses pressured a lot in those situations.
I remember him being competent as a ball handler and a good passer. He was hurt and couldn’t move very well in the 2nd half of the season. I also remember Carr playing 37 mpg so I didn’t see a huge sample size of him ever bringing the ball up. Especially with Greenlee also in the mix. That group was very thin on the wing.

This group will have multiple ball handlers out there at the same time (Lowe and Stephens also can/will bring the ball up). We will see I guess and I’m not saying he’ll be all conference, but I think our scoring woes next year will be more because of multiple guys who can’t create their own shot off the bounce, not getting the ball up the floor imo.

So does Robbins at Vanderbilt.

Just doesn't seem like the NCAA is in the business of having transfers sit out, anymore.

At least Robbins can use the argument of the coaching change.

Not sure what Carr's argument could possibly be. Well, I guess the coaching change. lol

Not sure I'd go that far. Carr and Garcia maybe.
I mean all you have to do to make the bubble conversation is win half your conference games

with Carr I would take this team ahead of northwestern, Nebraska, Penn state.

with Carr I would consider all others better than them but rather than near automatic losses I would think the team is capable of winning a few here and there.

still would pick the team probably 11. But 11 is only 1-2 spots from the bubble

Carr is a talented guy and makes our team better obviously for next year, but this is a whole new culture, new brand hopefully. I didn't love the way Carr played. He played 100% how Pitino coached.

I'm willing to be patient for a year or two in order to have a different brand of basketball.

No one knows how the rules will be interpreted or enforced, nor do we know how liberally waivers will be granted. Under the new rules as written, the grad transfer exception no longer exists. You get one free transfer during your period of eligibility whether that comes before or after receiving an undergraduate degree. If strictly applied, Carr, Robbins, Willis and many more will need a waiver. No one seems to be talking about it, so perhaps the NCAA has made it known that they won't be enforcing the rule this year, but that's the new rule.

No one knows how the rules will be interpreted or enforced, nor do we know how liberally waivers will be granted. Under the new rules as written, the grad transfer exception no longer exists. You get one free transfer during your period of eligibility whether that comes before or after receiving an undergraduate degree. If strictly applied, Carr, Robbins, Willis and many more will need a waiver. No one seems to be talking about it, so perhaps the NCAA has made it known that they won't be enforcing the rule this year, but that's the new rule.
Would Marcus actually need a waiver? If I am understanding this correctly, he never got a free transfer since he had to sit out a year when he transferred to MN from Pitt.

Would Marcus actually need a waiver? If I am understanding this correctly, he never got a free transfer since he had to sit out a year when he transferred to MN from Pitt.
The NCAA materials don't make a distinction between transfers who sat out and transfers who did not, but you raise a good point and it would seems to make a waiver more likely for Carr than for someone like Robbins who has already had a "free' transfer.

I remember him being competent as a ball handler and a good passer. He was hurt and couldn’t move very well in the 2nd half of the season. I also remember Carr playing 37 mpg so I didn’t see a huge sample size of him ever bringing the ball up. Especially with Greenlee also in the mix. That group was very thin on the wing.

This group will have multiple ball handlers out there at the same time (Lowe and Stephens also can/will bring the ball up). We will see I guess and I’m not saying he’ll be all conference, but I think our scoring woes next year will be more because of multiple guys who can’t create their own shot off the bounce, not getting the ball up the floor imo.
Ah yes, forgot about the impact of injury. Fwiw I like him, just not sure he’s the ball handler I’m looking for. We shall see!

I’m not an expert on this, but his waiver got denied when he transfer to the U, so wouldn’t he still have a one time waiver if he wants to transfer elsewhere? Happy to be corrected if I am wrong here.

I’m not an expert on this, but his waiver got denied when he transfer to the U, so wouldn’t he still have a one time waiver if he wants to transfer elsewhere? Happy to be corrected if I am wrong here.
Does seem logical. But? Other loophole is the my coach got fired scenario. Dunno on either or the many other exceptions there must be? Hope he gets to play someplace
of his choosing if he wants to transfer.

If the guy with the ball is average and you ball screen, you are inviting him to be trapped. I’m trapping and he’ll cough it up more often than not.
Or, you are spending A Lot of practice time on solving this and will suffer elsewhere.

The only reason he plays another season is to try and win a national championship. Not going to be with the Gophers, I think he should go G league or overseas and make some money.
The reason he plays another season is to improve his draft stock..

If the guy with the ball is average and you ball screen, you are inviting him to be trapped. I’m trapping and he’ll cough it up more often than not.
Or, you are spending A Lot of practice time on solving this and will suffer elsewhere.
Yeah then you can reject the screen or slip and pop a shooting big. Most times I always felt you trapped guys you want to give up the ball. If Willis isn’t a driving threat I’d think more teams would just switch or even fight through screens and avoid a mismatch.

My biggest concern is shot creation too, I just am not worried about it from whomever our PG/Lead Guard is solely. It’s more the fact that all our wings may not have the ability. Maybe our improved shooting on the roster creates larger driving lanes too? Either way I’m at least interested in seeing what we do as I know it won’t be what we did previously.

Recent National Champion started two at the same time ! Many coaches are doing this depending on skill sets ,spacing. Can really spread teams out.
Yeah, it's not even true for QBs anymore. Ohio State has had years where they certainly had 2 (3) QBs as well. Alabama definitely had two QBs with Hurts and Tua.

Although I am sure the current staff is very aware of Carr's talents, it would not shock me if they also believe it is time for him to move on. This is two summers in a row he has flirted with the NBA/leaving. It would probably be best for both parties to start anew.

Although I am sure the current staff is very aware of Carr's talents, it would not shock me if they also believe it is time for him to move on. This is two summers in a row he has flirted with the NBA/leaving. It would probably be best for both parties to start anew.
The rumblings are the staff wants him back at the u.

You’re kidding, right?
They could win 4-5 games against the bottom 3.
If they did that 5-9 against the rest of the conference puts them in the mix.

I think many people vastly overrate the talent of last years team. And they were only a few games away

Its comical that people wouldnt want him back here. Yah thats what is great for our program, lets be absolutely terrible, thats how all programs get better. Get rid of their best player so the crap ones can play more. I am sure losing at Michigan by 40 will help the team in the years to come far more than having a shooters chance in that game. It baffles me that people are so on board with being an awful team next year. Like its some badge of honor that we bottomed out and its the only way to build a program. If Carr coming back meant i didnt have to see a kid from W&M or a kid from Johns Hopkins, then I guess I am good with that, I don't care if they are younger. If a kid doesnt want to compete with a guy like carr or cant beat him out then why do we care about him long term? Were these same people jazzed up to see Oturu leave so we could get more time for Sam Freeman? That worked out well....

Hes clearly not coming back, which is his choice, but to say "hes not what we need" is also absurd.

Agreed. Who would seriously turn down Carr if he wanted to come back. Help bridge the gap between years.

They could win 4-5 games against the bottom 3.
If they did that 5-9 against the rest of the conference puts them in the mix.

I think many people vastly overrate the talent of last years team. And they were only a few games away
Last year's team had 2 good starters and one decent role-playing starter. The rest were below average or worse.

Agreed. Who would seriously turn down Carr if he wanted to come back. Help bridge the gap between years.
Not to mention the kids aren’t really younger behind Carr if he did stay lol. The entire team is pretty much grad transfers minus two dudes.

Last year's team had 2 good starters and one decent role-playing starter. The rest were below average or worse.
And they were top 15 ranked (if I remember right) when healthy. Battle, Loewe, Willis and Thaim are all upgrades in the 3 point shooting department over last years squad. Personally I think they need one more forward and a true center before we can talk about them surprising some people

Top Bottom