According to multiple reports; Marcus Carr is expected to withdraw his name from the NBA and return to school next season.

Starting a new thread as this is obviously significant news:

Go Gophers!!
I loved watching Carr play, and he would undoubtedly be the best player on the team if he were to come back. But I think it's healthy for all parties that he/we move on. The home team has an epic rebuild ahead of them, and I don't think Marcus Carr should be a part of that. He needs to play for a surefire NCAA squad. The kid deserves it and would absolutely thrive in that environment.

Its comical that people wouldnt want him back here. Yah thats what is great for our program, lets be absolutely terrible, thats how all programs get better. Get rid of their best player so the crap ones can play more. I am sure losing at Michigan by 40 will help the team in the years to come far more than having a shooters chance in that game. It baffles me that people are so on board with being an awful team next year. Like its some badge of honor that we bottomed out and its the only way to build a program. If Carr coming back meant i didnt have to see a kid from W&M or a kid from Johns Hopkins, then I guess I am good with that, I don't care if they are younger. If a kid doesnt want to compete with a guy like carr or cant beat him out then why do we care about him long term? Were these same people jazzed up to see Oturu leave so we could get more time for Sam Freeman? That worked out well....

Hes clearly not coming back, which is his choice, but to say "hes not what we need" is also absurd.

I loved watching Carr play, and he would undoubtedly be the best player on the team if he were to come back. But I think it's healthy for all parties that he/we move on. The home team has an epic rebuild ahead of them, and I don't think Marcus Carr should be a part of that. He needs to play for a surefire NCAA squad. The kid deserves it and would absolutely thrive in that environment.
He doesn’t deserve it more than anyone else. He would have to alter his style of play with Ben. He wouldn’t be able to dominate the ball the way he has, which would be good for him and his future. That is likely true almost anywhere he would go other than New Mexico.

Its comical that people wouldnt want him back here. Yah thats what is great for our program, lets be absolutely terrible, thats how all programs get better. Get rid of their best player so the crap ones can play more. I am sure losing at Michigan by 40 will help the team in the years to come far more than having a shooters chance in that game. It baffles me that people are so on board with being an awful team next year. Like its some badge of honor that we bottomed out and its the only way to build a program. If Carr coming back meant i didnt have to see a kid from W&M or a kid from Johns Hopkins, then I guess I am good with that, I don't care if they are younger. If a kid doesnt want to compete with a guy like carr or cant beat him out then why do we care about him long term? Were these same people jazzed up to see Oturu leave so we could get more time for Sam Freeman? That worked out well....

Hes clearly not coming back, which is his choice, but to say "hes not what we need" is also absurd.
Put me on the side of "let's both move on." (He's not coming back anyway.) I'd rather have BJ start his program and instill the culture and type of play he wants. An extra two wins that don't matter? Meh ... let's start the new era.

Holy cow, Man! I'm for him coming back, but I see where some who aren't are coming from. You sure feel strongly about some of our new players, calling them "crap". You act like a kid from W&M or Johns Hopkins can't play. God forbid we ever get a juco player. I'd love to see Carr lead these guys, I'm fairly certain most of them would love it too. They're the ones who matter, not us.

Holy cow, Man! I'm for him coming back, but I see where some who aren't are coming from. You sure feel strongly about some of our new players, calling them "crap". You act like a kid from W&M or Johns Hopkins can't play. God forbid we ever get a juco player. I'd love to see Carr lead these guys, I'm fairly certain most of them would love it too. They're the ones who matter, not us.
Yep maybe a little harsh but man I am so down on how the last few months have gone. I was so ready to move on from Pitino and get this super exciting start, and its be the exact opposite. Fighting off low end mid majors or low majors for transfers, losing essentially our entire team and having no positive '22 momentum has really made for a frustrating time. Again, I hope BJ is a huge success, but early (yes I know VERY early) returns have been very disappointing.

How are we going to win the lottery if we get good players like Carr back? Trust the process.

In all seriousness, I am guessing BJ knows enough about Carr to know if he is the type of person who will buy in to what he is selling. Obviously, if he doesn't know what he is selling than simply the most talented people you can bring in can help. However, if he is trying to establish something than getting a lesser talented player who will do 100% of what the coaches ask of them will go a long way to making sure when talent is here they have a good guide to take them to the promise land.

Yep maybe a little harsh but man I am so down on how the last few months have gone. I was so ready to move on from Pitino and get this super exciting start, and its be the exact opposite. Fighting off low end mid majors or low majors for transfers, losing essentially our entire team and having no positive '22 momentum has really made for a frustrating time. Again, I hope BJ is a huge success, but early (yes I know VERY early) returns have been very disappointing.
We've certainly not had much huge news to get crazy about as Gopher bball fans. That can't deter me from having a little hope, though. I tend to think that, in cbb especially, there is a lot of talent out there hidden at many schools at all levels of play. How else do we see the increased parity in the NCAA tourney. No one can deny that increase over the last decade. Youth development through summer leagues has grown ridiculously in the past years and not all those kids are going to top levels or teams. Some slip through the cracks, some go places for reasons we'll never know. The portal is opening up new possibilities for these players whether we like it or not. The talent pool is larger than it has ever been in my opinion. We can't write off any of our new players, or at least we shouldn't. I'll take Carr back, and I hope it happens, but I'm all in on our new guys knowing it might be a bumpy ride.

I seriously doubt he comes back, but it's certainly in the Gophers best interest to have him back. Our current PG is Peyton Willis playing out of position. Carr would make a massive difference.

What if Carr wanted to come here and bought in? Pitino clearly wanted him as a ball dominant guard. Who’s to say that’s what he wants again given that clearly didn’t lead him to being in the league?

It’s why I mentioned in another thread the WM transfer is ummmm displaying consternation. Carr back at the u starting causing ripples last week.

It’s why I mentioned in another thread the WM transfer is ummmm displaying consternation. Carr back at the u starting causing ripples last week.
Why? He wasn't going to be the starting PG anyway? I think Willis was. In any event, I will be shocked if Carr comes back when he has much better options.

The only reason he plays another season is to try and win a national championship. Not going to be with the Gophers, I think he should go G league or overseas and make some money.

Doogie, among others, has stated that Ben Johnson's system will not feature a traditional PG. Apparently different players will handle the ball and initiate the offense depending on situations and opponents. As of right now, Willis is the PG, but from everything I've heard, Johnson wants a lot of movement, so it's not like Willis is going to be sitting on top dribbling all the time.

so, let's say for the sake of argument that Carr comes back. He would be coming back to a system where he would be expected to play a different role and a different style.

I don't see it. Carr is a good player, but he needs to be in a system where the PG runs the show.

Johnson was also quoted recently as saying that he had not spoken to Carr since Carr announced he would explore his pro options.

Doogie, among others, has stated that Ben Johnson's system will not feature a traditional PG. Apparently different players will handle the ball and initiate the offense depending on situations and opponents. As of right now, Willis is the PG, but from everything I've heard, Johnson wants a lot of movement, so it's not like Willis is going to be sitting on top dribbling all the time.

so, let's say for the sake of argument that Carr comes back. He would be coming back to a system where he would be expected to play a different role and a different style.

I don't see it. Carr is a good player, but he needs to be in a system where the PG runs the show.

Johnson was also quoted recently as saying that he had not spoken to Carr since Carr announced he would explore his pro options.
Sounds like what a coach without a good PG says

I seriously doubt he comes back, but it's certainly in the Gophers best interest to have him back. Our current PG is Peyton Willis playing out of position. Carr would make a massive difference.
Yeah. I’m as negative as anyone. carr coming back makes me think there is an outside shot at a tourney birth.

Marcus was incredible for the Gophers but I think he would better off playing elsewhere with a team that is not a total rebuild. Would not complain if he came back though. Not at all.

Anybody ever coached a team without the talent to initiate your offense? You don’t have a point guard and opposing coaches can make it impossible for you to run any kind of offense. You get pushed farther and farther away from the basket. Floor balance becomes a dream. Timing in your offense is impossible.

Last edited:

Also, unless Carr graduated, he needs a waiver to play elsewhere. I do believe?

Yeah. I’m as negative as anyone. carr coming back makes me think there is an outside shot at a tourney birth.
Not sure I'd go that far. Carr and Garcia maybe.

Top Bottom