According to 24/7, Uncommitted Gopher Recruits that are getting a lot of attention from us.

If they aren't getting in, their scores and their GPA likely are way off the mark.

Because the Badgers built their fanbase cheering on homegrown boys like Ron Dayne, Melvin Gordon and Jonathan Taylor? Oh wait, isn't Russell Wilson from Sheboygan?

I think Melvin Gordon is from Kenosha or somewhere around there.

Yep, that was my error. A rare skill player Wiscy has from its own state

No prob. I just know a Badger fan at work that always holds him above all other Badger RB because he is a Wisconsin guy.

If they aren't getting in, their scores and their GPA likely are way off the mark.
The U of M has fairly high standards. I remember in 2010 when I was trying to attend, I got wait listed with a 25 on the ACT. My GPA wasn’t very good, but they said regardless of that they were looking for at least a 27/28 on the ACT. They didn’t really want anyone under a 3.6 GPA, and I think I had a 3.3. Not sure what the standards are now, being a decade after when I tried getting in.

The U of M has fairly high standards. I remember in 2010 when I was trying to attend, I got wait listed with a 25 on the ACT. My GPA wasn’t very good, but they said regardless of that they were looking for at least a 27/28 on the ACT. They didn’t really want anyone under a 3.6 GPA, and I think I had a 3.3. Not sure what the standards are now, being a decade after when I tried getting in.

Aren't the standards much lower for athletes?

They likely get the athletes into easier to admit colleges or programs as well. It's one thing if you apply to Carlson or the Engineering school vs Liberal Arts or CFANS

If they want a guy bad enough, they might pull some strings. But as far as I know the standard was the same across the board. It’s harder to get into certain majors, but to get in for your freshman year, that’s just your undergrad. It’s not like trying to get into Carlson Law School vs. a liberal arts major, as BFFF said. Admissions for incoming freshman is the same.

In this case, it seems the staff did cool on Kaden for some reason. It may be due to other opportunities arising in Burns, but they completely stopped pursuing him after the season ended.

Our staff has no interest in adding multiple good LBer prospects.
I won’t waste my time arguing with someone who doesn’t really know. J Burns has an offer list that is similar to Kaden’s and is ranked relatively close. Many schools aren’t interested in Kaden because he’s not 6’4” and didn’t have great senior year film. He might not even have a commitable offer from Wisky. We have 4 linebacker commits, so it really isn’t that preposterous that we moved on.

Another brilliant JG take!

Our staff has no interest in adding multiple good LBer prospects.

Another brilliant JG take!
We did add multiple good LB prospects, 4 in fact for this class, the best LB class we've had in the last decade plus and maybe ever in the recruiting era.

The NCAA has a minimum academic standard based on some combination of GPA, standardized testing, and required core classes. It is very forgiving.

I doubt most schools and perhaps none require anything more than the NCAA minimum. Those numbers are far less than the average/median of the student body at large. As I have asked for many years now please post any evidence otherwise.

I watched about half the state championship game he played in. Had I not been told that he was a four star player I would certainly not have noticed him. He seemed a low motor guy who made no particular impact on the game. Good, but vanilla.
This was my thought as well. Smooth athlete, but didn't really seem to have much motor or explosive element to his game. He didn't really stand out at all and I don't remember him making any impressive plays. Against that level of competition you would expect such a highly rated guy to impact the game a little bit more. Was much more impressed by Lockett and McDonald than Johnson.

The NCAA has a minimum academic standard based on some combination of GPA, standardized testing, and required core classes. It is very forgiving.

I doubt most schools and perhaps none require anything more than the NCAA minimum. Those numbers are far less than the average/median of the student body at large. As I have asked for many years now please post any evidence otherwise.
There are definitely some schools that for sure require more than the NCAA minimum, including Northwestern in the Big Ten, but I'm guessing at larger public schools you may be right.

I don't believe Justin Bellido is signing today either because of academic issues. That's three wide receivers in the same (non)boat, which is probably why the staff seemed to be going hard after more receivers.

If my math is correct, that actually makes 24 signees today, not 25. Perhaps holding a spot for a certain diminutive receiver who might be interested in coming home?

Agreed. Zero percent chance that scholarship athletes at the UofM are required to come in with 25+ on their ACTS and 3.5 or higher GPAs.

There are definitely some schools that for sure require more than the NCAA minimum, including Northwestern in the Big Ten, but I'm guessing at larger public schools you may be right.

What are the NU minimums?

So you won't tell someone else info because I won't believe it. Man, you really are obsessed. That's like stalker-ex GF obsessed. "Why does it even matter if Bob_Loblaw won't believe it?"

Also, Burns makes his career duping suckers like you into believing he has connections with the staff. He preys off of your need to feel important - - like an insider. It's a great scheme. Pretending to have inside info because you make obvious deductions is a definitely a skill and part of journalism. He does it so that small men like you do not have to stand by their opinions. You get to fall back on the belief that you have somehow obtained insider info for $1.99 / month.

Wasn't it Burnsy who got fooled by a video game? It was either him or Ryan James.

Imagine being this upset because someone chooses to purchase news information for $2 a month because they like hearing updates on their favorite team

Agreed. Zero percent chance that scholarship athletes at the UofM are required to come in with 25+ on their ACTS and 3.5 or higher GPAs.

I believe you need a 2.5 and an 18 to qualify for an NCAA scholarship, but I'm not sure if this is the baseline requirement for most schools or if they raise the bar

Imagine being this upset because someone chooses to purchase news information for $2 a month because they like hearing updates on their favorite team

I spend more on a round of drinks for my wife and I than I do in Burns’ site. Not sure why this Bob guy is so bent on how some of us spent $1.99 a month.

I'm not upset about it. I actually thought about buying it. I like to laugh at the people who like to pretend that because they purchased that info they are now insiders. The people who purchase that information and take it with a grain of salt, I totally get it. It's fun. There is additional content.

It's the people who think they've bought their way into the Knights Templar of College Football News because of the purchase that are laughable.

Sorry I struck a nerve.

I spend more on a round of drinks for my wife and I than I do in Burns’ site. Not sure why this Bob guy is so bent on how some of us spent $1.99 a month.

I'm not. I like his site. It's people like JG and BeerFueled who go on that site, listen to the stuff from Burns and take it as gospel and then come to other sites and act like they are "in the know".

I think his site is fun and I can completely understand why people read it. I also liked Charlie Walters "little birdy" column. I did not then walk around the neighborhood and pretend to be "in the know" because I read the column.

I love Burns but suffer a little cognitive dissonance when I hear him state “multiple coaches” on staff told him Annexstad was going to be the starter going into 2019. I suppose that’s possible but I find it hard to accept we both have two All Big Ten QB types on the roster and the coaches were going to roll the seasonal dice on potential over production. If ZA is that outstanding we’re in a good place.

I also stop to wonder why the coaches would be feeding him insider info like that. I can think of some scenarios but I doubt coaches want info like that leaked unless there is internal knowledge otherwise which was my intel.

Yep, that was my error. A rare skill player Wiscy has from its own state

I don't think it's that rare.
Melvin Gordon
Jared Abbrederis
Alex Erickson
Nick Toon
John Clay
Lance Kendricks

They are all skill players from WI.

I'm not upset about it. I actually thought about buying it. I like to laugh at the people who like to pretend that because they purchased that info they are now insiders. The people who purchase that information and take it with a grain of salt, I totally get it. It's fun. There is additional content.

It's the people who think they've bought their way into the Knights Templar of College Football News because of the purchase that are laughable.

Sorry I struck a nerve.

The 24/7 reporters are by and large a joke. Even the main guy for Wisconsin's site is a total hack. He's a homer (I guess most of them are) and gets into twitter arguments with recruits and other beat writers. He used to have a source on Gary Andersen's staff and got a lot of scoops from there, but that died when Chryst was hired. The writers for Minnesota's site are not that different. I paid a $1 trial fee awhile ago just to see if a subscription to the Badger site was worth it. It's not.

What are the NU minimums?
At one point several years ago the U had higher admission standards than NU - on paper. I would guess just about all schools have essentially the NCAA minimums - on paper. The difference is whether they actually accept you. They don't consider you if you are below the minimum. They consider you if you are above. Being above doesn't guarantee acceptance. A scholarship football player just over the minimum gets in. A random schmuck doesn't.

Not like back in my day where I don't know that you even had to fill out the application right to get accepted.

Top Bottom