2023-2024 Gophers Basketball Schedule Thread

The women are playing UConn and Kentucky non-conference. Will the men play a single power 6 team?

At this point, I highly doubt it. Most the schedules getting released had one or two unannounced games, and all of them have been filled with buy games.

I am holding out hope they are actually going to add a good opponent, and maybe another decent opponent, with one being on the road.

Wrong thread.

But it's pretty amazing that one of the main reasons Ben was hired was to recruit MN talent, yet he didn't want any of the top 4 guys in the state according to On3.
He wanted McAndrew. McAndrew didnt want him/MN.

Asuma and Grove plus portal just isn’t good enough. Asuma is better that Freitag and Grove will be better than McAndrew. Grove is coming in behind some awesome forwards. Young ones getting season behind a couple of great upper class men. Players that would keep McAndrew on the bench. There is crazy talk in this thread and that isn’t me. I’m just trying to get the Crazy Train back on the tracks.

Missouri is a pretty stout opponent. 25-10 last year and may be improved this year. A way too early has them a strong 5th in the SEC. Go get ‘em Gophers.

Hopefully they are looking at a true road game with a decent opponent for the last slot.
Exactly.

Especially now for the Gophers with the ACC Challenge gone, I've always thought the best scheduling thing a school like Minnesota should do is have 2 home & home series running at the same time. ... one at home and one on the road. Think it'd be awesome if we added to the Mizzou home game a road game at someone like BYU or Vandy.

Exactly.

Especially now for the Gophers with the ACC Challenge gone, I've always thought the best scheduling thing a school like Minnesota should do is have 2 home & home series running at the same time. ... one at home and one on the road. Think it'd be awesome if we added to the Mizzou home game a road game at someone like BYU or Vandy.
Plus a good tournament going forward.

Perhaps, Stanford or Cal?

Just to show them what they are missing.
The MTE event at the Barn should have been for 2023's worst power 6 teams. MN, Cal, Georgetown, Louisville.

In all seriousness, I don't know why they don't play Cal or Stanford when they go to San Francisco to play USF. Perhaps they will but I'd think that would have been announced at the same time.

The MTE event at the Barn should have been for 2023's worst power 6 teams. MN, Cal, Georgetown, Louisville.

In all seriousness, I don't know why they don't play Cal or Stanford when they go to San Francisco to play USF. Perhaps they will but I'd think that would have been announced at the same time.
I just want to see Goldy beat the shit out of the tree.

Agree, always play in an exempt bracketed tournament.

I think for some coaches, it's all about control. When you're in those tournaments, you have no control over opponents or game times.

I'm with you though. I love those early season tournaments.

Do you really think they are going to schedule a post Christmas competitive game? Even in good years, that window is almost always a cupcake.
It would be pre-Christmas. It wouldn’t be the final non-conference game.

The final cupcake is usually late December right before the meat of Big Ten schedule. The Gophers already have that softie slot (Maine, Dec. 29) filled.

A lot of Power 6 schools schedule a good game right before Christmas. But you are correct, the Gophers are rarely one of them.

I’m just hoping they’ll add another decent opponent. Most likely dreaming, I know.

For sure.

Unfortunately, the Gophers rarely schedule MVC teams. I’m guessing most MVC schools (rightfully so) demand a home & home.
I'm curious - why rightfully so? The MVC isn't a P6, and it's full of minor schools. Its most successful members of recent vintage have moved on to bigger conferences. I don't see why a home and home is necessary with a Bradley or UNI. Every school wants a home and home, of course...

Not related to our schedule but given attendance last year and the schedule, thoughts??
That's an innovative approach. There's a lot to like from many angles. The only thing I'd wonder about is whether there are games that would attract more attendance (revenue) that you now are sacrificing a bit. In MN's case, that'd be Mizzou,

Bring on Brian Dutcher and his Aztecs. Okay then before they change to the Banana Smoothies.

Top Bottom