BTN 4 games
Peacock 3 games
BTN+ 3 games
TBD: San Francisco

Conference games:

BTN: 16 games
FS1: 2 games
Peacock: 2 games

Gotta be the most streamed OOC games for anyone in conference. Can't really blame anyone given our crap schedule.

Gotta be the most streamed OOC games for anyone in conference. Can't really blame anyone given our crap schedule.
Actually, I thought we'd get relegated to BTN+ more than 3 times. From a media rights prospective the Peacock games are equal to FS1. Just not as easy to access. I've avoided that particular subscription up to now, but between multiple Gopher basketball games, and an exclusive NFL play-off game etc. I will probably breakdown and subscribe to it. Hopefully the announcers/production qualify are not BTN+ level.

FWIW: subscribing to Peacock: (I am not a subscriber - just wondered how much it cost)

Premium $5.99/month -- Premium Plus $11.99/month (no ads on most movies & tv shows)

or yearly plans:
Premium $59.99/yr -- Premium Plus $119.99/yr

stream on 3 devices at once.

Actually, I thought we'd get relegated to BTN+ more than 3 times. From a media rights prospective the Peacock games are equal to FS1. Just not as easy to access. I've avoided that particular subscription up to now, but between multiple Gopher basketball games, and an exclusive NFL play-off game etc. I will probably breakdown and subscribe to it. Hopefully the announcers/production qualify are not BTN+ level.

Yeah, I just subscribed to it at the end of August. I think there's about 50 basketball games on Peacock, so it's worth the $5/month. Plus the football games on it too. Also, if you have kids, there are a bunch of kids programming too.

Yeah, I just subscribed to it at the end of August. I think there's about 50 basketball games on Peacock, so it's worth the $5/month. Plus the football games on it too. Also, if you have kids, there are a bunch of kids programming too.
Is it just Peacock, or is there a package of other things hardly anyone will want to watch that go with it? Is Peacock part of any larger packages, Hulu, Fubu, etc.?

Is it just Peacock, or is there a package of other things hardly anyone will want to watch that go with it? Is Peacock part of any larger packages, Hulu, Fubu, etc.?
Fubu? I don’t think that’s correct.

Not a lot of Sunday Night games generally. I'd think it will be on a real channel somewhere.
Not arguing with you, just curious why you think that.

My own thinking is that I don't recall many non-Gonzaga or occasionally St. Mary's games from that conference being televised, even during the conference season.

My own thinking is that I don't recall many non-Gonzaga or occasionally St. Mary's games from that conference being televised, even during the conference season.

San Francisco had 11 games total on CBSSN/ESPN2/U last year. BYU had 16. After that it was a pretty steep decline. I do think it will be televised in some capacity. If not you can stream the WCC Network for free.

Power 6 team against a decent WCC team, at the Warriors arena. Not many other games available Sunday night. I don't know who the WCC's agreements are with, but I doubt CBSSN, ESPN2 etc have anything better at that time.

Your cable company might have some sort of bundle. Hulu only bundles with Disney/ESPN.

San Francisco had 11 games total on CBSSN/ESPN2/U last year. BYU had 16. After that it was a pretty steep decline. I do think it will be televised in some capacity. If not you can stream the WCC Network for free.
How many were non conference and non holiday tournament?

BYU is no longer in that conference, btw.

Peacock is a stand-along streaming service owned by NBCUniversal. It offers movies and TV shows, a few 'original' programs, current NBC and Bravo shows, news programs and sports.

I went through some of the offerings and didn't see a whole lot that gets me excited. It does have all the Harry Potter movies, if that's your thing.

Sports wise, looks like a lot of soccer and rugby, some motor sports, etc,

but, it's only $6 a month, or $5 a month if you go for the yearly plan. a lot of people pay more than that every day for some beverage at Starbucks.

How many were non conference and non holiday tournament?

BYU is no longer in that conference, btw.

Yeah, I know BYU isn't in the conference anymore, but they were last year. Between BYU and San Francisco it was a total of 4 games. It should be worth noting, San Fran played 1 P5 opponent last year OOC(at home) and it was on CBSSN.

If you're also a hockey fan, gonna need B1G+

Big Ten Plus is one of the rougher purchases to make with the few cameras they have available and the rather rough announcers. Tough to expect too much quality as there are only so many announcers out there but then you would hope for a better price IMHO

Big Ten Plus is one of the rougher purchases to make with the few cameras they have available and the rather rough announcers. Tough to expect too much quality as there are only so many announcers out there but then you would hope for a better price IMHO
Yeah, it doesn't feel like a product that should be sold. It feels like community access and they should allow streaming, at that quality, for free.

Yeah, it doesn't feel like a product that should be sold. It feels like community access and they should allow streaming, at that quality, for free.
Nothing in this world is free these days but having twice made the purchase in the last several years Big Ten Plus falls into the category of nowhere near worth the price. A mistake I just refuse to make again

Nothing in this world is free these days but having twice made the purchase in the last several years Big Ten Plus falls into the category of nowhere near worth the price. A mistake I just refuse to make again
You and I are chatting on a free website. Most of the most profitable websites on the planet are monetized without charging the users. It feels like if BTN put those games on their website and sold ads, they’d make more money.

You and I are chatting on a free website. Most of the most profitable websites on the planet are monetized without charging the users. It feels like if BTN put those games on their website and sold ads, they’d make more money.
At the very least they could reduce the cost. They literally leave a dead air camera on during timeouts/half time etc. It's bizarre. I get that the audience for a particular game on BTN + is small, but you'd think they could just get existing BTN sponsors to pay a couple extra bucks and insert existing BTN ads so the cost would be minimal.

Maybe this has been discussed in past and I missed it, but is there a particular reason the conference schedules these pair of early conference games, and then resume the non-conference schedule?

Maybe this has been discussed in past and I missed it, but is there a particular reason the conference schedules these pair of early conference games, and then resume the non-conference schedule?
I think they started doing that so they could squeeze in 2 extra conference games from the previous total of 18 that are played after January 1st, not sure why they don't have 20 consecutive conference games. Could have something to do with finals or just the way the rest of the conferences schedule. Do any other P6/other conferences schedule 20 league games?

Do any other P6/other conferences schedule 20 league games?
Other Power 6 Conference Games
ACC (20)
Big East (20)
Big XII (18)
Pac 12 (20)
SEC (18)

Big XII just announced they will go to 20 in 2024-25 season after Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah join.

For conferences with more than 10 teams, I think 20 is the best number. Then schedule is basically 1/3 non-conference games, 2/3 conference games.

Would assume starting in 2024-25 when Big Ten has 18, teams will play 3 opponents twice, and 14 opponents once.

Last edited:

Other Power 6 Conference Games
ACC (20)
Big East (20)
Big XII (18)
Pac 12 (20)
SEC (18)

Big XII just announced they will go to 20 in 2024-25 season after Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah join.

For conferences with more than 10 teams, I think 20 is the best number. Then schedule is basically 1/3 non-conference games, 2/3 conference games.

Would assume starting in 2024-25 when Big Ten has 18, teams will play 3 opponents twice, and 14 opponents once.
It hardly seems like a conference schedule when you're only playing three teams twice. From afar, it also seems like our somewhat expensive season tickets are being devalued, with a much more likely crappy home schedule. At least we should get Iowa and Wisconsin every year at home.

Seems like at every turn, the in person fan is getting a worse deal. They should at least pretend to think we are important in the system.

It hardly seems like a conference schedule when you're only playing three teams twice. From afar, it also seems like our somewhat expensive season tickets are being devalued, with a much more likely crappy home schedule. At least we should get Iowa and Wisconsin every year at home.

Seems like at every turn, the in person fan is getting a worse deal. They should at least pretend to think we are important in the system.
Regarding the bolded, please elaborate. 3 of the 4 newcomers would be in the top half of the league if they were with us this year. Wouldn't you rather see UCLA than Penn St.? Iowa and Wisconsin bring ticket sales from visiting fans more than the others, but IMO, the quality of opponent at the Barn should actually increase.

Regarding the bolded, please elaborate. 3 of the 4 newcomers would be in the top half of the league if they were with us this year. Wouldn't you rather see UCLA than Penn St.? Iowa and Wisconsin bring ticket sales from visiting fans more than the others, but IMO, the quality of opponent at the Barn should actually increase.
Your point is well-taken. But with the number of teams expanding, the likelihood of us routinely getting the good games at home decreases when playing them only once.

For the record, I would much rather see Purdue or Michigan State than UCLA or Oregon. No disrespect intended to those programs, but they mean very little to me now before March. It will take years, and a much improved Gopher program, for me to get super interested in the new comers.

Top Bottom