2023-2024 College Basketball Coaches Hired/Fired Thread

Michigan and Arizona State could be next to open.

Payne's buyout: "The buyout called for Payne to receive $8 million if Louisville terminated his contract without cause — meaning NCAA violations or some other act beyond wins and losses — in Year 2. According to his contract, Payne’s buyout was set to drop to $6 million at the start of April, but U of L athletics director Josh Heird didn’t wait that long to dismiss Payne."

Also: "When Louisville parted ways with former coach Chris Mack on Jan. 27, 2022, it agreed to a $4.8 million severance package that is being paid in monthly increments of $133,333.33 until Jan. 31, 2025.

Lot of coverage from the Louisville Courier-Journal:

Saw Tom Crean. As a talking head on ESPN postgame coverage; I realize he bombed at GA, but he’s only 57 and watching instead of coaching at thst age, must get old.

3-28 (and 0-20 in the Big East) DePaul nearly pulls off the stunner over Nova, losing 58-57 on a last second 3. Would’ve been an all-time epic upset before the Moser era begins.

So this isn’t on your playlist?

He later said the song was a joke. Some people claim it as an anthem.

He actually openly smoked weed in his life, was born and lived in California, had 6 wives, and spent time in a California prison where he turned his life around as a country star. Not exactly the lifestyle in the song.

He later said the song was a joke. Some people claim it as an anthem.

He actually openly smoked weed in his life, was born and lived in California, had 6 wives, and spent time in a California prison where he turned his life around as a country star. Not exactly the lifestyle in the song.
Yup, Merle’s one of my favorites. I grew up on country. Let my first “famous crush” break it down for you -

Great get for DePaul (as good as they could've ever hoped for), but I wonder why Holtmann took this. It's got to be one of the hardest places to win in college sports. Horrible facilities, the worst team in their conference and only the third best program in Chicago. Only place to go is up, I guess.

Great get for DePaul (as good as they could've ever hoped for), but I wonder why Holtmann took this. It's got to be one of the hardest places to win in college sports. Horrible facilities, the worst team in their conference and only the third best program in Chicago. Only place to go is up, I guess.

Yes, this would be more like a job for some coach closer to retirement. However, the pay will be higher than a mid-major job and I expect that he will get at least 5 years there (The two coaches prior to the most recent one got 6 and 5 years respectively). The more recent of the two had only one winning season (19-17) in 6 years and the other had no winning seasons in 5 years (topped out at 12 wins).

This season certainly was one for the books (3-29 overall; 0-20 in conference). Only wins over South Dakota, Chicago State, and Louisville and no wins after December 30th.

May not be a firing - but the Athletic has a long article about the situation with Michigan Coach Juwan Howard. Reports of physical altercations, or threatened physical altercations between Howard and players, and between Howard and staff members.

Sounds like a former strength and conditioning coach is furnishing a lot of the information.

considering the Wolverines have fallen from a #1 seed to last in the B1G over a 5-year period, you have to think Howard's position was already shaky. the additional allegations have to turn up the heat.

FWIW - the article notes that Michigan has apparently had several would-be transfers who were not granted admission by the school. How sketchy do you have to be in order to be denied admission in this day and age?

Howard out, 1 great year, 3 avg 1 bad and Michigan says we can do better. MN has 2 disaster years and a below average one and half the fan base is happy to have him back. 🤦‍♂️
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the off the court stuff as well. Brilliant takes as always.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the off the court stuff as well. Brilliant takes as always.
Yep I'm really excited CBJ is a nice guy. That's my fault, I forgot college sports is about who is the best guy, my bad. Wins, who cares!

Yep I'm really excited CBJ is a nice guy. That's my fault, I forgot college sports is about who is the best guy, my bad. Wins, who cares!
Definitely ideal to be threatening long time strength coaches and getting them fired.

Yes, this would be more like a job for some coach closer to retirement. However, the pay will be higher than a mid-major job and I expect that he will get at least 5 years there (The two coaches prior to the most recent one got 6 and 5 years respectively). The more recent of the two had only one winning season (19-17) in 6 years and the other had no winning seasons in 5 years (topped out at 12 wins).

This season certainly was one for the books (3-29 overall; 0-20 in conference). Only wins over South Dakota, Chicago State, and Louisville and no wins after December 30th.
That's the problem, DePaul was hiring these coaches that were trying to pad their retirement, no fire and bringing back Dave Leiteo blasted them back another 30 years.

Top Bottom