2023-2024 College Basketball Coaches Hired/Fired Thread

O

I have friends whose kids went to high school with Moser’s. They were devastated to leave Chicago, and, being an ardent Catholic, I’m sure getting back to a small Jesuit school would fit him better than Oklahoma. It’ll be fascinating to see if this really happens.
As strange as that sounds, I can see him at DePaul. Understand going to OU for the $$$, but going to OK is like doing time.

Name 3 Vincentian Universities in the United States
Extra credit for identifying the first one. (Hints, Calvin Murphy, George Mikan, Chris Mullin)

Would think that DePaul would produce more wins. Hard to believe.
Niagara? Didn't even know they were Catholic...learn something new everyday

As strange as that sounds, I can see him at DePaul. Understand going to OU for the $$$, but going to OK is like doing time.
DePaul has been wandering in the desert for nearly 40 years. Their arena situation is so bad. They went from playing games at Allstate arena in the suburbs near O’Hare airport to playing in Wintrust Arena on the near south side, either place is bad for students and Wintrust is terrible to get to for people in the burbs. At least Loyola has a nice(but small) on campus arena. DePaul has to find a place on campus(went to a DePaul-Marquette game when I was little in Alumni Gym on the DePaul campus and it was an awesome atmosphere, just very small). Moser could be the guy who resurrects the program, it could be a sleeping giant.

DePaul has been wandering in the desert for nearly 40 years. Their arena situation is so bad. They went from playing games at Allstate arena in the suburbs near O’Hare airport to playing in Wintrust Arena on the near south side, either place is bad for students and Wintrust is terrible to get to for people in the burbs. At least Loyola has a nice(but small) on campus arena. DePaul has to find a place on campus(went to a DePaul-Marquette game when I was little in Alumni Gym on the DePaul campus and it was an awesome atmosphere, just very small). Moser could be the guy who resurrects the program, it could be a sleeping giant.
Wintrust is a beautiful arena, went to a few games there, but get there two hours early. It will take you that long to park. I can't imagine the push for students to take public transit from Lincoln Park to downtown. It would have been nice if they had did like Loyola did. The Gentile Center is the right size, nice seats, excellent home court setting.

Wintrust is a beautiful arena, went to a few games there, but get there two hours early. It will take you that long to park. I can't imagine the push for students to take public transit from Lincoln Park to downtown. It would have been nice if they had did like Loyola did. The Gentile Center is the right size, nice seats, excellent home court setting.
Went to a game in Gentile when it had pullout bleachers a long time ago and then saw it a couple years ago and it was soooo much better!

c1606b6c-9193-457a-9f83-b5f0c2d151f3_text.gif

Is this a source we can trust? Holding a school hostage for NIL seems like a fool’s errand. If coaches want that, they need to hustle that up with their collectives which are supposed to separate from the school.

Hard to believe he’ll go to DePaul but likely a great payday in a place he knows and loves and will make him a coaching legend if he can turn it around.

Is this a source we can trust? Holding a school hostage for NIL seems like a fool’s errand. If coaches want that, they need to hustle that up with their collectives which are supposed to separate from the school.

Hard to believe he’ll go to DePaul but likely a great payday in a place he knows and loves and will make him a coaching legend if he can turn it around.
No idea. I find the account interesting but I have no idea who the "insiders" are. They have often been early/correct though. I'm not sure why Oklahoma would be skimping on NIL unless football just hogs it all.

No idea. I find the account interesting but I have no idea who the "insiders" are. They have often been early/correct though. I'm not sure why Oklahoma would be skimping on NIL unless football just hogs it all.
OU may feel like, if they're going to increase basketball NIL, they can find a better coach to give it to. Moser's going to make the Dance this year but his first two years there were not great; I can definitely see OU telling him "If you want to leave, there's the door" and thinking they can upgrade from him (if they're right on that, we'll see).

OU may feel like, if they're going to increase basketball NIL, they can find a better coach to give it to. Moser's going to make the Dance this year but his first two years there were not great; I can definitely see OU telling him "If you want to leave, there's the door" and thinking they can upgrade from him (if they're right on that, we'll see).
The early rumor is Kalvin Sampson's kid to OU. I guess time heals all wounds. Time for us to get Eric Musselman.

Long Beach State chimes in and our guy Monson fired:

Go Gophers!!

Long Beach State chimes in and our guy Monson fired:

Go Gophers!!

"Monson arrived at Long Beach State after coaching at Gonzaga, where he led the Bulldogs to one NIT appearance and the Elite Eight of the NCAA tournament in two seasons."

No mention of Minnesota in local SoCal newspaper.

"Monson arrived at Long Beach State after coaching at Gonzaga, where he led the Bulldogs to one NIT appearance and the Elite Eight of the NCAA tournament in two seasons."

It's a strange omission in the age of Wikipedia.

It's a strange omission in the age of Wikipedia.
It’s not a strange omission in the age of details not taken as seriously as they should. I doubt it was anything more than poor preparation of the story. But who cares about details?

Great reporting there

It wouldn't surprise me to see Izzo retire after this year. Listening to his press conferences he thinks he can't coach kids as hard as he wants to anymore and is very frustrated by it. Does quite a bit of complaining about players mindsets in the current era as well.

Top Bottom