2023-2024 College Basketball Coaches Hired/Fired Thread

This is an interesting (i.e underwhelming) hire by Ohio State.

From a distance maybe, but he is from a local legend coaching family and has been around for a while as a coach. Maybe they see it as a flyer while they wait for a splash in the near future. They could easily have reached out to in demand coaches only to be told no. Not sure what his role in recruiting is, but if he’s the talent guy, maybe it works.

From a distance maybe, but he is from a local legend coaching family and has been around for a while as a coach. Maybe they see it as a flyer while they wait for a splash in the near future. They could easily have reached out to in demand coaches only to be told no. Not sure what his role in recruiting is, but if he’s the talent guy, maybe it works.
Definitely has the pedigree, family of coaches, Ohio royalty, and standout basketball players. I'd worry about lack of head coaching experience and right to the first gig in the B1G. However, learned extra and played for under another basketball family, the Drew's. He recruited this class of players and a descent incoming class, I think he'll work out.

Did tOSU name their next AD? That would possibly answer why they hired him.

Did tOSU name their next AD? That would possibly answer why they hired him.
Starting July 1st, it'll be Ross Bjork...from Texas A&M.

From Cleveland Plain Dealer:

"Bjork on what makes up for Diebler’s lack of head coaching experience: “Either you have the wherewithal or you don’t. If you break down the moves made during games, he outcoached coaches that have been doing this for a long time.” Bjork brought up Diebler’s “born-to-coach mentality” and what’s coming down the line in terms of talent in the state."

Rumor is Musselman in heavy consideration. If true gopher’s should pull the plug on Ben now..
Seriously? He must want out of Arkansas bad. SMU playing the ACC will not not be a fun job. We're missing our chance at him...again.

Seriously? He must want out of Arkansas bad. SMU playing the ACC will not not be a fun job. We're missing our chance at him...again.

I think he’s like the guy at the bar who’s entertaining and has a new job every couple of years.

I’ll pass on him.

Last edited:

Talked to my Michigan booster buddy today, whose father was a very high level administrator in the Michigan athletics department at one time, and is still connected. He said he asked his dad if he'd heard anything about their basketball coach hire, and his dad said nothing yet, but in today's environment two of the key questions to ask when vetting candidates are 1) are you going to bring any players with you via the portal? and 2) how much are they going to cost?

Talked to my Michigan booster buddy today, whose father was a very high level administrator in the Michigan athletics department at one time, and is still connected. He said he asked his dad if he'd heard anything about their basketball coach hire, and his dad said nothing yet, but in today's environment two of the key questions to ask when vetting candidates are 1) are you going to bring any players with you via the portal? and 2) how much are they going to cost?
Supposedly Dusty May has his choice between Michigan and Louisville.

Think of it as a dowry.

Interesting choice in May since FAU underperformed this season and didn't exactly display great basketball IQ.

They must be very well-connected since they didn't know about the May hire as it was happening.

They must be very well-connected since they didn't know about the May hire as it was happening.

Because he didn’t say anything to his son, who didn’t say anything to me means he didn’t know anything? The man is a major donor dating back to the Schembechler era who once held one of the highest positions in the department. He was fully aware.

List of Coming and Going Coaches

Most Surprising Hire to me ... Chris Holtmann DePaul ... they are at the bottom...Holtmann absolutely doesn't seem like a guy who is going to do a turnaround. Sure, he might get them to the middle of the pack, but I don't see him clawing his way to the top.

Last edited:

Top Bottom