2015 Gophers Volleyball Thread!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/volleyball-women_d1_2015.pdf

Gophers get the Des Moines regional (Nebraska sent to Lexington). In the first round at the PAV, Minnesota hosts Jackson State and hopefully will advance to play the winner of Marquette/Northern Iowa.

Minnesota is the number 1 seed in the region (number 2 overall) and Penn State is the number 2 seed.

Gophers play the only Team with an RPI over 250 (Jackson St is #310) in the first round. Somehow Penn State drew #230 Howard, while poor Wisconsin drew the #53 Oregon Ducks (the highest ranked team to face off against a seed). USC drew #69 Cleveland St., Texas got #165 Fairfield, & Nebraska got #145 Harvard.

Since travel's not involved (except maybe Howard going to Happy Valley), shouldn't they have sent Jackson St to LA to face USC? Not that I'm complaining :)

Is there any streaming or TV coverage for the games this weekend? There aren't any listed on the Gophers website.

The B1G awards are in:

Daly Santana - Player of the Year
Samantha Seliger-Swenson - Freshman of the Year
Hugh McCutcheon - Coach of the Year

Santana, Seliger-Swenson, & Hannah Tapp 1st team All-Big Ten

Paige Tapp - Honorable Mention

SSS - All-Freshman Team

Congratulations all!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Badgers lost the second set but prevailed to defeat Oregon. On the West Coast, after dropping the first set, Cleveland State took the second set, 27-25, from Southern Cal. It's streaming on the PAC 12 network.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...leyball-after-2014-hiccup-hugh-mccutcheon-has

Marcus Fuller writes volleyball:

McCutcheon took his first foreign trip at the U in March, when the team traveled to Tokyo for four matches over eight days.

With several returning players frustrated with the previous season, the Gophers needed to determine just how to fix things.

"It forced a lot of connections," McCutcheon said. "There wasn't a lot of social media. There weren't a lot of other things going on. There was just people to sit down and kind of go analog and talk to each other."

They used the trip to talk honestly among themselves about problems that caused them to have such an up-and-down year in 2014.

Feelings were hurt. It got personal at times. But what needed to be said was said.

After that, the team bonded like it never had. Players and coaches watched movies and went bowling together. They played games together.

One of the favorite team bonding activities was a card game called "nerts."

I'll be at the game tonight. It'll be 10x better than big ten hockey.

I can't make it to the second round game tomorrow. Does anyone want 2 free tickets? Let me know, and I'll leave them under the door mat of my house in south Minneapolis.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I'll be at the game tonight. It'll be 10x better than big ten hockey.

We did the double header. After the matches we got to Mariucci for the third period and three Gopher goals including the OT game winner-10 times might be an exaggeration. I also caught the Northern Iowa/Marquette match. Marquette has some height, power and blocking and still made it hard work to defeat UNI. It was good to see Minnesota swinging away and to see Toni Alugbue sub in for Santana at the end of the match.

We did the double header. After the matches we got to Mariucci for the third period and three Gopher goals including the OT game winner-10 times might be an exaggeration. I also caught the Northern Iowa/Marquette match. Marquette has some height, power and blocking and still made it hard work to defeat UNI. It was good to see Minnesota swinging away and to see Toni Alugbue sub in for Santana at the end of the match.

I still haven't gotten over the fall of the WCHA and the corporate seating.

I still haven't gotten over the fall of the WCHA and the corporate seating.

There were at least 500 fans at the hockey game (I know it was more but it was two thirds empty). No life in the building our with the team, although it was a nice comeback last night. I can't make volleyball match tonight either, so will be cheering in absence...

Absolutely dominated set 2. Had leads of 8-0 and 15-2 en route to a 25-13 set win. 25-23 was set 1 and 25-21 set 3.

Next up is Illinois in the Sweet 16 in Des Moines on Friday! Hawaii upset #10 Texas A&M 3-0 and Penn State beat Dayton 3-1 to join the Gophers in Iowa.

It was fun to see Goehner work up the crowd with some timely kills. I'm not sure what Marquette was doing with Taylor Louis in the 3rd set. (All night Louis was an offensive force and a defensive liability. Now its a B1G regional with Illinois (a win which help kick start a wonderful season) and Penn State (a win which solidified It).

Sweet 16 - Friday
Minnesota vs. Illinois - 5 PM on ESPN3.
Hawaii v. Penn State - 7:30 PM on ESPN3.

The last few matches against decent teams, the Gophers passing has been a little suspect. They have to get back to the level of passing they had during the 14 match winning streak. The scoring streaks by Marquette at the end of sets 1 & 3 were a little disturbing.

They can't afford to be out of system as much as they were against Marquette.

On to the next round!! The Illini had their block going early but the Gophs adjusted and really finished strong in all three sets. Rosada's serve really seemed to have them fooled.

Man, it sucks that there's no stream of the Hawaii/Penn State match. Sure would like to see the Wahine who took the first set. Did watch Florida beat the Badgers though. Also watching Michigan kick the crap out of Gopher Hockey-bleh.

Well, the stream got working and it showed Hawaii dismantling the defending national champs. Looking forward to Hawaii/Minnesota.

On to the next round!! The Illini had their block going early but the Gophs adjusted and really finished strong in all three sets. Rosada's serve really seemed to have them fooled.

Agree. Seemed like the Gophers kind of wore out Illinois as the match went on. This team is exceptionally balanced and all that firepower was too much for the Illini to handle. Watched some of Hawaii and Penn State and was really impressed by the Rainbow Wahine. Going to be a very tough match, but I'm looking forward to it.

Minnesota putting the hurt on Hawaii right now. They're rolling.

It was a struggle but they pull it off in 4 games. Holy crap is Santana fun to watch.

A terrific late match battle between Taylor and Santana with Santana finishing strong for the trip to Omaha.

Top Bottom