2015 Gophers Volleyball Thread!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Daly Santana 21 kills, 3 Aces and double digit digs provided the power to sweep the Badgers out of the PAV. Santana hit bombs from the back line and rockets from the front. And she had plenty of help from the Tapps, Lohman, and Wilhite. Just as important, Selinger-Swenson held her own against Carlini. All in all, an excellent start to the B1G season.

Score: 25-20, 25-23, 19-25, 25-19.

Of note: In the fourth and final set Wilhite face planted while laying out for a dig. After being attended to (presumably for a cut around the mouth) she returned late to finish the set and celebrate the win.

First place, half way through season, after last year, is amazing. Keep it up ladies.

Gophers in the top 10 after the badger beatdown. 4 B1G teams in the top 10(8 teams ranked)

RANK SCHOOL POINTS RECORD PREVIOUS
1 Southern California (64) 1600 20-0 1
2 Texas 1528 16-1 2
3 Nebraska 1454 16-2 3
4 Washington 1418 17-1 4
5 Penn State 1322 17-2 5
6 Ohio State 1243 18-2 7
7 Kansas 1176 18-0 9
8 Hawai'i 1161 18-1 8
9 Minnesota 1076 15-3 11
10 UCLA 1027 15-3 12

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball-women/d1/avca-coaches

While there will be a top ten matchup (MN @ Neb) in the Big Ten, BTN is televising Wisconsin @ Iowa.

Boo, BTN

Our win on the road over Ohio State is looking better and better.

Tonight the Spartans swept Ohio State in East Lansing, while in Ann Arbor, Penn State battled back to defeat Michigan in a five setter. The second half of the B1G season will be fun.

Are we about to sweep Nebraska in their house? Go gophers!

Wasn't a sweep, but a 3-1 win for your undisputed first place Minnesota Golden Gophers. Love it. Huge win for the squad!

Awesome! Things are looking up for Hugh and his squad.

Minnesota looked terrific tonight. I just caught the game on the replay. Seliger-Swenson got the offense cooking and threw in some quick tempo sets to keep Nebraska off balance. Santana continued her top flight play and the rest of the Gopher front line provided plenty of points and blocks. Once again, Gopher defenders made good use of the pancake.

Every set featured a comeback; but the fourth and final stood apart. Minnesota lead 21-15 only to have the Huskers take a 25-24 advantage (following two Gopher match points). Then Minnesota ran off 3 straight for the win in Lincoln. The Gophers have become a very versatile team with two big time road wins thus far.

25-23, 25-22, 24-26 and 27-25 are the hard fought totals.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_90b774b1-ceb4-5c56-995d-e24ee1371557.html

The Omaha Journalstar cites the Tapps.

What will be tougher to wipe from his memory will be the Gophers getting easy kills on the slide play from the middle blocker position. Junior middle blocker Hannah Tapp had 17 kills on a .500 hitting percentage, and her twin sister, Paige, added eight kills.

“Hannah Tapp was really good tonight, and we didn’t really have an answer for her,” Cook said. “The answer is to serve tougher, and we didn’t serve very tough tonight.”

That was an amazing match to watch! With frustrating moments in Set 3 and 4 with the blown leads but still shocked they won in Lincoln.

If I remember correctly, Nebraska made their comebacks in Set 3 and 4 with the same rotation. The fast sets to the middle (Lohman mainly) seemed to be working well all night, I wonder why they didn't try that more later on in Set 3 and 4 when the Nebraska block was owning Santana.

Got a chance to watch the ladies a little last night for the first time this year and I obviously came away very very impressed. Extremely poised in one of the toughest venues in the country against an elite team. The Tapps are both dynamite and Santana is having a huge senior season. I know it was mentioned earlier but Seliger-Swenson has made a big difference with the offense. Can tell our hitters love having her deliver the ball to the right spot most of the time. Looking forward to seeing what is on the horizon for what is still a pretty young team.! :D

Sweep of Iowa tonight. Love it. Got a solid lock on 1st place although plenty of pitfalls ahead.

Yes, a nice sweep in Iowa City. After Santana had 72 swings versus Nebraska in four sets, Daly had 24 Saturday night. Whilhite had 40 in Lincoln and 31 in Iowa city. SSS continued to spread the offense around including, as previous noted, quick middle sets to Loman and I think a couple to Hannah.

Notable items from last night: In the first set, Santana and Rosado collided while pursuing a dig. Santana was a little slow to get up put seemed fine. In the third set, Iowa came back late from a 19-15 deficit to have a set point before Minnesota closed them out. The close out included a controversial out call (ball hitting the antenna) on Iowa. Apparently Iowa is one of the sites without the replay; but it was hard to tell when the ball hit the antenna.

This week, in the Pav, the Gophers host Indiana and then welcome Purdue for a key B1G match-up. Not to forget, A big thanks to the Badgers for knocking off Nebraska and putting two games between the Gophers and Huskers in the standings!

B1G at the half way point:

Standings
Code:
                Conf. Overall
#4 Minnesota	9-1   17-3
#3 Penn State	8-2   19-2
#11 Ohio State	8-2   19-3
#17 Purdue	8-2   17-4
#9 Nebraska	7-3   16-4
#12 Wisconsin	6-4   14-6
Michigan State	6-4   14-7
#25 Michigan	5-5   15-6
#21 Illinois	4-6   13-8
Northwestern	4-6   12-9
Indiana	        3-7   13-9
Maryland        1-9   11-13
Rutgers         1-9   4-18
Iowa	        0-10  10-13

RPI
Code:
4  Ohio State
6  Minnesota
7  Nebraska
8  Penn State
11 Wisconsin
22 Purdue
25 Illinois
29 Michigan
33 Northwestern
34 Michigan State
48 Iowa
71 Indiana
122 Maryland
197 Rutgers

Go Gophers!!

I hadn't been able to catch any games until this weekend. Wow was I missing out! I'm not a volleyball expert but to me they look really well rounded. Doesn't seem like there is any one weak spot to attack.

Looking forward to attending the Purdue match this weekend and hopefully another one or two this year. Here's hoping the confidence from the Nebraska win keeps them rolling through the rest of the season!

I wish these road games had been on TV. You could only watch if you paid for BTN ToGo.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/102715aaa.html

Hannah is AVCA National Player of the Week:

University of Minnesota junior middle blocker Hannah Tapp (Stewartville, Minn.) was named the National Player of the Week, announced today by the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA). This is Minnesota’s first AVCA National Player of the Week since 2008 when Lauren Gibbemeyer (2007-10) received the award

MN Daily: Chemistry helps Gophers

The No. 4 Gophers are ranked the highest they’ve been since 2009 — and while their statistics are up slightly across the board, teamwork and communication have also played a huge role in the team’s success.

The Gophers are atop the Big Ten standings and already have as many Big Ten wins halfway through the conference schedule as they did all of last year.

“We’ve really been working on the culture and the dynamic of our team,” junior Hannah Tapp said. “I think each day the dynamic strengthens and we get closer together.”

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/volle...gophers?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Penn State easily sweept Ohio State in Columbus handing the Buckeyes their third B1G loss. Hope for a weekend split of this home and home series dimmed considerably. Anyway, off to the Gopher/Hoosier match.

Go Gophers!!

Santana (17 kills (one off her head) and a .333 hitting percentage) and Lohman (7 and .462) help power the Gophers to the sweep. Minnesota controlled the first and third sets. I think the Gophers won all of the extended rallies. Of note: Indiana's, Awele Nwaeze, may have the strangest serve windup I've ever seen. Her right arm performs a quick series of scarecrow variations before launching a reasonably fast flat serve. Indiana's servers were generally aggressive but did not cause the Gophers undue stress. It's Purdue at the Pav Sunday in another B1G showdown.

3-1 win over a very good Purdue team including a 25-14 game 4 clincher. I know Penn St. beat Ohio St twice this weekend and it still only one game behind us, but we get them here next time and we're on fire. First trick is getting through Michigan and Michigan St this next week as both are capable of springing an upset. Love this team!

Minnesota rallied late to win each of the first two sets. Purdue took out their frustrations by winning the third set as Boiler hitters took advantage of some sloppy Gopher play. However, Minnesota left no doubt in the fourth by winning 25-14.

Paige Tapp had a very good match. Paige posted 7 kills in the first two sets and in the fourth set went on a long, three ace, service run putting the Boilers in a hole out of which they couldn't climb.

Santana, naturally, had 21 kills on 48 swings and 6 errors.

Purdue coach Dave Shondell (in front of another packed house) spiced up the proceedings early by complaining long and hard about a Purdue touch he challenged and lost. That part of the review process needs to be reviewed.

Anyway, this weekend Michigan and Michigan hit the PAV.

Top Bottom