2015 Gophers Volleyball Thread!

Texas takes an exciting five setter from Florida and will face the Gophers on Thursday night. Presumably, the Longhorns won't be allowed to bring their line judge with them.

http://www.ncaa.com/game/volleyball-women/d1/2015/12/12/kansas-southern-California

Number one seed, Southern Cal, falls to Kansas in a five set, late Jayhawk, comeback. It's an all Big Ten, Big Twelve Final Four.

The No. 9-ranked University of Kansas volleyball team defeated No. 1 seed USC in five sets (3-2; 25-18, 25-21, 22-25, 19-25, 15-13) on Saturday night to advance the program's first NCAA Championship Semifinal appearance and extend a season that continues to elevate to unprecedented heights.

The Jayhawks (30-2) finished the match on a 6-0 run to recover from a 13-9 deficit in the fifth set and compete the upset of the top-ranked Trojans (33-3).

Texas takes an exciting five setter from Florida and will face the Gophers on Thursday night. Presumably, the Longhorns won't be allowed to bring their line judge with them.

That was some crazy home cooking. I can't believe the ref didn't overturn it and that they aren't using replay in the NCAA tournament. Florida did a good job of getting back into the game and thought they might overcome it...

We are the clear favorite heading into the final four, but it is a slugfest now. I suspect if we can beat Texas, we'll win it all. The girls this year have just been special. Winning the big points to pull out games that don't look good. I paused my tv for a while during game 4 against Hawaii, because I was convinced were going to go to a 5th and deciding game. We somehow put together a streak, won the game and closed out the match. That's what championship teams do. Very excited for the weekend.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...5-things-need-know-ncaa-volleyball-final-four

Five story lines from Mechelle Voeple.

I agree we've disassociated from the Midwest.

For the first time, the NCAA semifinals will feature all four teams from the Central time zone. And it's kind of fitting that the event itself will be in Central time zone, too.

It's just the fourth time since the NCAA tournament began in 1981 that the final four has no participant from the Pac-12 (formerly Pac-10). Instead, it will feature the top two teams this season from both the Big Ten and the Big 12.

"It speaks of the development in this region," Bechard said, referencing the strength of club volleyball in the Midwest, plus Minnesota and, of course, Texas. "There's more parity in our sport; whereas 10 or 15 years ago, we weren't really talking about that."

Minnesota holds a 4-3 series edge against Texas; the teams last met in back-to-back regular-season matches in 2012. In the 2009 NCAA semifinals, Texas swept Minnesota.

B1G prep:

The Big Ten had nine teams make the NCAA field and now has two in the final four. Gophers coach Hugh McCutcheon said that while conference play can be particularly taxing, there's still the knowledge that competing in the Big Ten is great preparation for a postseason run.

"While you're going through it, you may wonder where it helps," McCutcheon said, smiling. "But it's not a grind that wears you down. It's a grind that polishes you."

I think this is what Ignatius is talking about.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...sota-daly-santana-texas-paulina-prieto-cerame

Article on Puerto Ricans Daly Santana and Paulina Prieto Cerame:

You talk to Minnesota's Daly Santana and Texas' Paulina Prieto Cerame about volleyball and the surroundings in which they play, and they exude a kind of joy that can't be manufactured.

About going to the final four? Well, of course, they're both thrilled about that, as the No. 2 seed Gophers and No. 3 Longhorns will meet in the NCAA semifinals Thursday at 7 p.m. ET (ESPN2) in Omaha, Nebraska.

Native Puerto Rican Daly Santana loves volleyball, from the small nuances to the thundering kill that she hit to set up match point in Minnesota's victory over Hawaii in the regional final in Des Moines, Iowa.

But it's more fundamental than that. Both are native Puerto Ricans, and have been around volleyball since as long as they can remember. They love the sport, from the small nuances that each continues perfecting, to the thundering kills both outside hitters regularly unload.

Such as the one that Prieto Cerame had to end a nerve-racking fifth set against Florida, 17-15, in Saturday's regional final in Austin, Texas. Or the rocket that Santana hit to set up match point earlier that evening in a 3-1 victory over Hawaii in the regional final in Des Moines, Iowa

For the 1st time, 4 Gophers are All-Americans

Daly Santana & Hannah Tapp - 1st Team
Samantha Sellger-Swenson - 2nd Team
Paige Tapp - 3rd Team

Congratulations to all!!!!

Coach of the Year has just been announced:

It's Hugh McCutcheon!!!!!

In the other semi, not only is Nebraska playing on essentially their home court, they face Kansas, a team they have NEVER lost to in 87 all-time meetings.

But I guess that means the Jayhawks could be due?

Here a pic of the Gophers cheering section. Look closely at the lower left and you see a former AD.
CWdyG5CWcAI3P5G.jpg

No teams, except for the Lynx and a little bit of the Twins a while back, choke like Minnesota teams in the spotlight/big game.

No teams, except for the Lynx and a little bit of the Twins a while back, choke like Minnesota teams in the spotlight/big game.

I don't see this team as choking. Not even close. Look at where they were before the season started and tell me if anyone predicted they would be in the final four.

I will agree with you regarding the other teams - especially our pro teams.

Unfortunately, they've been out of sync (and system) a lot tonight. Tough time for that to happen, but they're battling it out.

Gophers not choking. Texas just better and Santana playing like crap. We needed her best game.

Too bad it ended here, but they had a GREAT season. Congrats to coach McCutcheon and the ladies on a job well done in 2015.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Tough to lose but what a great year. Texas was just a little better in those first two sets.

And what a great four years for Santana! It has been a pleasure to watch her develop from talented but uneven freshman to senior All American.

I absolutely believe the Gophs will win a national championship soon.

Top Bottom