2015-16 Other Games thread

Michigan with a big win over Maryland tonight and Wisconsin loses again in conference.

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Iowa SWEEPS Michigan State, this time with Valentine. Fran doing work. Pisses me off.

Iowa SWEEPS Michigan State, this time with Valentine. Fran doing work. Pisses me off.

He's a little nutzo, but Franny is a proven winner. Can't help but think about the fact his in-laws were long-time Gopher season ticket holders.

I didn't catch the whole game, but Gesell looked like Steve Nash out there. They couldn't stop his drives.
Side note, that Calhoun is really good in the booth. He said something like, "good things happen when you drive to the basket. If you settle for 3's you might win some, but you'll lose a bunch too."

I didn't catch the whole game, but Gesell looked like Steve Nash out there. They couldn't stop his drives. Side note, that Calhoun is really good in the booth. He said something like, "good things happen when you drive to the basket. If you settle for 3's you might win some, but you'll lose a bunch too."

I hate comments like that (FWIW I do still like Calhoun commentating) but the live by the 3 die by the 3 is such an over simplified cliche. If you have a team of good 3 point shooters taking open 3's in the flow of an offense that is far better than if you have a team that sucks at driving and layups missing layup after layup. Point being, it depends on personnel. If I have a team full of Steph Curry's I think we will go ahead and choose to shoot those 3's. It also depends HOW you're getting the 3's. If it is someone shooting double covered fall aways, probably not great. But if it is off drive and kick or screen and roll and you have good shooters, keep shooting.

Sorry. Nothing personal, always just been a phrase and cliche that irritates me :)

Iowa can set itself up nicely for NCAA

If Iowa keeps on rolling, setting themselves up for a nice postseason path. Des Moines is a first/second round site, so if the Hawkeyes can finish in the top 3 of the Big Ten there's a good chance they'd get shipped there (they're not the host, so they can play there). If you're a top 2 or 3 seed those are the perks you can get when your city/state/area is hosting the NCAAs. Hawkeyes couldn't pick a better time to have a great season than this one.

Still a long way to go, obviously, but have taken a major step toward Des Moines by sweeping Sparty and winning @ Purdue.

I hate comments like that (FWIW I do still like Calhoun commentating) but the live by the 3 die by the 3 is such an over simplified cliche. If you have a team of good 3 point shooters taking open 3's in the flow of an offense that is far better than if you have a team that sucks at driving and layups missing layup after layup. Point being, it depends on personnel. If I have a team full of Steph Curry's I think we will go ahead and choose to shoot those 3's. It also depends HOW you're getting the 3's. If it is someone shooting double covered fall aways, probably not great. But if it is off drive and kick or screen and roll and you have good shooters, keep shooting.

Sorry. Nothing personal, always just been a phrase and cliche that irritates me :)

Not taking it personal at all. Pretty sure he meant good things happen when you drive the ball to the hoop and keep the pressure on a defense. Points and fouls start to add up. Be unrelenting and good things will happen.

How many more losses before Coach K has to take a leave of absence?

It's amazing how Wisconsin, who is also having a rebuilding year (lots of underclassmen), is able to take the upper echelon of Big Ten teams down to the wire when playing at home whereas the Gophers get blown out at home against co-lower tier Big Ten teams. Clearly the underclassmen players at Wisky are better than our underclassmen or their coach is better than ours.

It's amazing how Wisconsin, who is also having a rebuilding year (lots of underclassmen), is able to take the upper echelon of Big Ten teams down to the wire when playing at home whereas the Gophers get blown out at home against co-lower tier Big Ten teams. Clearly the underclassmen players at Wisky are better than our underclassmen or their coach is better than ours.

Or Nigel Hayes and Bronson Koening are actually kind of good?

Didn't the Gophers take Michigan St and Indiana down to the wire?

Didn't the Gophers take Michigan St and Indiana down to the wire?

True. Kind of forgot about the MSU game. For whatever reason I don't include Indiana in the upper echelon of the Big Ten but I guess they are. They are 5-0 in Big Ten play.

Hayes and Koenig are like NBA All-Stars compared to King, Morris, and Buggs. Imagine having veteran leadership that actually leads. Hayes and Koenig scored 2/3 of Wisky's total points today.

And wow, was that a dumb@ss turnover by that Michigan State player with 20 seconds to go. Michigan State doesn't look like a team worthy of a Top Ten ranking to me. Nor is Wisconsin as bad as their record indicates when you look at all their single digit and one possession losses.

To expand on that, Wisconsin got 16 points of their 77 from underclassmen. And 14 of those came from Ethan Happ. But hey, any chance you can bash Pitino right?

In fact, the total underclassmen stat line would be 16 points on 4 of 12 (33%) shooting, 10 rebounds, and 2 assists. The majority of which was all Happ.

Such a gritty performance from those underclassmen.

For reference- Gophers underclassmen against MSU (granted without Valentine) 47 points on 19 for 51 (37%) shooting, 24 rebounds, 6 assists.

Hayes and Koenig are like NBA All-Stars compared to King, Morris, and Buggs. Imagine having veteran leadership that actually leads. Hayes and Koenig scored 2/3 of Wisky's total points today.

And wow, was that a dumb@ss turnover by that Michigan State player with 20 seconds to go. Michigan State doesn't look like a team worthy of a Top Ten ranking to me. Nor is Wisconsin as bad as their record indicates when you look at all their single digit and one possession losses.

Agreed. King and Buggs seem to have taken about 10 steps back this year. That out of bounds play at the end for State was terrible and not the kind of mistakes they typically make. The team went a little haywire when Valentine went out and they've yet to get back on track since his return.

To expand on that, Wisconsin got 16 points of their 77 from underclassmen. And 14 of those came from Ethan Happ. But hey, any chance you can bash Pitino right?

In fact, the total underclassmen stat line would be 16 points on 4 of 12 (33%) shooting, 10 rebounds, and 2 assists. The majority of which was all Happ.

Such a gritty performance from those underclassmen.

For reference- Gophers underclassmen against MSU (granted without Valentine) 47 points on 19 for 51 (37%) shooting, 24 rebounds, 6 assists.

Dude, that wasn't a bash on Pitino at all. I guess with the history people are going to read into things. I own it. I was honestly asking if their players were better than ours OR if their coach was better than ours, I mean, Wisky's coach was an assistant under Ryan and no matter how any of us feel about Wisky, Ryan was a good/great coach. It would only make sense if he coached a lot like Ryan. I guess my statement in my original message was more about Wisky's coach than it was about ours.

1. Wisconsin did just go to the Final 4 in consecutive seasons
2. It kinda helps to have two All conference upperclassmen who just scored a combined 52 points. One of them will probably be a 2nd round draft pick.
3. Wisconsin gets 65% of their minutes from upperclassmen. It's about 40% for Minnesota.

Didn't like the shot at the end by Valentine. Thought he didn't have to settle for a deep 3 in that situation.

Didn't like the shot at the end by Valentine. Thought he didn't have to settle for a deep 3 in that situation.

Same here. Wasn't sure why he took that shot. He had enough time to move closer to the basket. Izzo is a lot like Ryan in that you can never count out their teams.

Syracuse 1989-90

If you want a reminder just how good the Syracuse team the Gophers beat in the 1990 NCAA tourney was, tune in to ESPN Classic. Showing old school Syracuse-Duke game from 1989 ACC-Big East Challenge.

Top Bottom