2014-15 Other Bowl Games Thread

Holidazzle has been cancelled starting this year.

Still can't believe we lost to these guys. They are terrible.

They did have over 450 yards, 26 first downs, and controlled the ball for over 40 minutes. Two plays were the difference: the non holding/PI on the pick 6 and the fumble on the fumble recovery.

Great win for Rutgers. I know it is Detroit but still surprised more fans didn't make the 9 hour drive for the game.

Poor, poor Cincinnati & Virginia Tech......got stuck with the dreaded Beth Mowins/Joey Galloway play by play team calling their Military Bowl game on ESPN right now. Imagine there are a number of TV's on mute throughout the states of Ohio and Virginia. Nice to know they won't be on our bowl game. I may be mistaken, as I don't know if it has happened in the past for them, but would have to think there is no way execs at Disney/ABC/ESPN would ever put them on a major network (national) ABC broadcast. Beth Mowins (I don't despise Galloway as much) just doesn't seem like she would ever be major network broadcast material/worthy.

Tied 7-7 after 1st quarter. Already 10 combined possessions between the two teams in just the 1st quarter. Gunner Kiel throwing it around pretty good. Just set a single season TD passing record for Cincy. Ah yes, pretty crazy thinking back to the ridiculous and very public recruiting/commitment route he took to end up at Cincy. Was originally committed to Indiana, then committed to LSU, then committed to and enrolled at Notre Dame for a year, then transferred and finally ended up at Cincy.

Mowins calls a game changing play like it is just a 2-yard run up the middle.

So what is the game to watch right now? I've got Miami vs. SC on right now and will be switching between that and Penn State unless something better is on that i'm missing.

So what is the game to watch right now? I've got Miami vs. SC on right now and will be switching between that and Penn State unless something better is on that i'm missing.

Duke/Arizona St. is turning into a really good game.

Duke/Arizona St. is turning into a really good game.

It ended up being a really good game, too. Glad ASU won, though.

PSU/BC is somewhat interesting, at least. Terrible no-call on a block in the back that would have set BC back about 30-40 yards.

Did you guys just see that creativity from Nebraska!

Palmer: "I Love fat guy touchdowns"

Nebraska got screwed on that trick play, pretty obviously a backwards pass on replay. Good thing they got the TD anyways.

Nebraska-USC is one of the sloppiest games I've ever seen...

And there Murph has got to be the worst stadium in the nfl, can't imagine watching from the end zone. Chargers going to LA soon..

Nebraska assistant Coaches getting into it on the sidelines, what's that about??

Beth Mowins is sort of grating but I generally do not mind her. Joey Galloway used to annoy me, but the more I hear him on other ESPN shows, the more I appreciate some of his insights. I'd rather not have that crew doing a game, but the ESPN 2 production values (poor miking of band, crowd, rotten half time crew that ignores the Big Ten and talks SEC the whole halftime) are a bigger problem. The ABC/. ESPN product is usually more consistent, but nothing is worse than the 11 AM Big Ten ESPN 2 games. The SEC ESPN 2 games at 6PM and later have much better quality, so there is something going on at ESPN 2 that is dysfunctional.

Unfortunately we have Ed Cunningham and Mike Patrick working our game. I can deal with Mike Patrick, but hearing Ed Cunningham yammer on is difficult. Ed Cunningham is an idiot that has little to say, but likes to hear himself talk.

I'd much prefer the Chris Spielman/ Sean McDonough crew, the Todd Blackledge crew, the Brian Griese team, or even the crew doing the USC/ Nebraska game tonight, although Jesse Palmer needs to go. Matt Millen takes a lot of heat, but I think he is good as well, and did a fine job during the very exciting Pinstripe Bowl today. The atmosphere at that game projected to the TV broadcast very well. I have relatives that went to BC and like the program and coach, but really wanted to see the PSU fans experience a win today.

and now a tangental rant:

I do not understand why during some ESPN games they show the band constantly and you can hear the bands all the time even they are not specifically turning up the microphones after a TD, like during the Pinstripe Bowl, yet during other games you hardy can tell the band is there. ESPN lacks consistency in the way they produce these games. Yesterday, the very large and loud 360 member brass heavy Illinois band was shown about twice and rarely heard during the Heart of Dallas Bowl. Today, the PSU Band was heard between almost every play, and often during the game, even the smallish Boston College band was constantly heard. These uneven aspects of the production impact what adds the college atmosphere to these games, and make the CFB TV product much better than some crappy Tennessee vs. Jacksonville NFL game.

One thing I can assure you will happen is that every single playing of Fight On during the USC game tonight will be loudly heard on the broadcast, because ESPN always gets it right when USC, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, or Michigan (and a few select others) are playing. Half the time, when Minnesota plays on TV when it is not a BTN broadcast, they put the ESPN microphones right in front of the flutes and saxophones and it sounds like crap. I think those high profile teams must have some in house sound technicians that work with ESPN to make sure they do not F up the mic placement to make sure the brand is projected on the TV broadcast in the proper way.

I'll take a Big Ten Network broadcast over the ESPN "family" any day of the week. FSN, FS1, and network Fox are preferable to me as well.

They better get it right in Orlando Thursday, and I will have the DVR scheduled so I can watch the replay when I return from Fl.

LOL wow...well that tricky play went no where very quickly

The Penn St v Boston College is a great example of why there are too many bowls. Really bad teams that eked out enough wins but had no business in the post season. I can't recall the last game I laughed so hard at as both teams made bonehead play after play. BC loses on a missed extra point in OT. Bet those folks in Happy Valley are sure proud...

Surprisingly close game. I've lost all respect for USC. They are extremely overrated

Beth Mowins is sort of grating but I generally do not mind her. Joey Galloway used to annoy me, but the more I hear him on other ESPN shows, the more I appreciate some of his insights. I'd rather not have that crew doing a game, but the ESPN 2 production values (poor miking of band, crowd, rotten half time crew that ignores the Big Ten and talks SEC the whole halftime) are a bigger problem. The ABC/. ESPN product is usually more consistent, but nothing is worse than the 11 AM Big Ten ESPN 2 games. The SEC ESPN 2 games at 6PM and later have much better quality, so there is something going on at ESPN 2 that is dysfunctional.

Unfortunately we have Ed Cunningham and Mike Patrick working our game. I can deal with Mike Patrick, but hearing Ed Cunningham yammer on is difficult. Ed Cunningham is an idiot that has little to say, but likes to hear himself talk.

I'd much prefer the Chris Spielman/ Sean McDonough crew, the Todd Blackledge crew, the Brian Griese team, or even the crew doing the USC/ Nebraska game tonight, although Jesse Palmer needs to go. Matt Millen takes a lot of heat, but I think he is good as well, and did a fine job during the very exciting Pinstripe Bowl today. The atmosphere at that game projected to the TV broadcast very well. I have relatives that went to BC and like the program and coach, but really wanted to see the PSU fans experience a win today.

and now a tangental rant:

I do not understand why during some ESPN games they show the band constantly and you can hear the bands all the time even they are not specifically turning up the microphones after a TD, like during the Pinstripe Bowl, yet during other games you hardy can tell the band is there. ESPN lacks consistency in the way they produce these games. Yesterday, the very large and loud 360 member brass heavy Illinois band was shown about twice and rarely heard during the Heart of Dallas Bowl. Today, the PSU Band was heard between almost every play, and often during the game, even the smallish Boston College band was constantly heard. These uneven aspects of the production impact what adds the college atmosphere to these games, and make the CFB TV product much better than some crappy Tennessee vs. Jacksonville NFL game.

One thing I can assure you will happen is that every single playing of Fight On during the USC game tonight will be loudly heard on the broadcast, because ESPN always gets it right when USC, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, or Michigan (and a few select others) are playing. Half the time, when Minnesota plays on TV when it is not a BTN broadcast, they put the ESPN microphones right in front of the flutes and saxophones and it sounds like crap. I think those high profile teams must have some in house sound technicians that work with ESPN to make sure they do not F up the mic placement to make sure the brand is projected on the TV broadcast in the proper way.

I'll take a Big Ten Network broadcast over the ESPN "family" any day of the week. FSN, FS1, and network Fox are preferable to me as well.

They better get it right in Orlando Thursday, and I will have the DVR scheduled so I can watch the replay when I return from Fl.

Good point, but does the gopher band play that much during the game / between plays (honest question)? I guess my question is, isn't it true that some schools do this "atmosphere " thing better than others and ESPN has nothing to do with it? For instance the USC band Obviously attemps to play in symphony with the offense between plays. I don't remember that from ththe gopher band. I don't want to turn this into "another golden gopher first down" rant but my sense is we could use our band much much more than we do in terms of crowd noise and atmosphere.

Why didn't Nebraska go for the field goal on 4th and 3 with 2:30 left? I was really wanting them to come back and won that one.

Why didn't Nebraska go for the field goal on 4th and 3 with 2:30 left? I was really wanting them to come back and won that one.

FG kicker must not have range. Nebraska's defense was a joke all game long. USC played with their usual class. They have future #1 picks taking personal foul penalties for taunting and then walking back to the sidelines like "I don't much care, I'm gonna get paid." Was a fun game overall. Nebraska without Kenny Bell and Ameer Abdullah isn't going to be pretty (although Pierson-El, whom we had our fun with, looks like he is going to be a star).

FG kicker must not have range. Nebraska's defense was a joke all game long. USC played with their usual class. They have future #1 picks taking personal foul penalties for taunting and then walking back to the sidelines like "I don't much care, I'm gonna get paid." Was a fun game overall. Nebraska without Kenny Bell and Ameer Abdullah isn't going to be pretty (although Pierson-El, whom we had our fun with, looks like he is going to be a star).

I really didn't have a problem with what Leonard Williams did after that sack and didn't think it was worth a 15 harder, really bailed Nebraska out. I would be livid if they called that on the gophers. Also didn't really have a problem with the Adoree Jackson penalty either.

Yes the Gopher band does play quite bit between plays, to the extent that that Alabama fans at the 2004 Music City Bowl were complaining about our overly active band.

Our band plays a lot more than the alleged "show" band at Wisconsin, who only apparently plays on the field since they are never heard on TV.

The penalties were called for either gesturing towards the opposing sideline or standing over a player on the turf, talking. What the player did later was not the issue.

On the subject of announcers, Ray Bentley gets annoying. His voice inflection puzzled me for a few minutes before placing it. He sounds like an impressionist of Al Franken.

I really didn't have a problem with what Leonard Williams did after that sack and didn't think it was worth a 15 harder, really bailed Nebraska out. I would be livid if they called that on the gophers. Also didn't really have a problem with the Adoree Jackson penalty either.

Really? You would be fine with a Gophers player taunting the visiting sideline after a good play? The player who did it was an idiot. He just committed a penalty on the play before.

Top Bottom