2 Keys to Win v Michigan

We catch them with some dump off passes to running backs, and some inside slants the MN O can give Michigan trouble. Do the unexpected to set up the run up the middle plays.

Focus on the pass for offense and stack the box to slow down Michigan's running game on defense.
Michigan has one of the top D-lines in college football, and nobody has been able to run consistently against them. Based on PFF scores so far this season, Michigan has the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th highest rated D linemen in the Big 10. Their weakest link is the defensive backfield.
The Michigan O line is also very good, especially at run blocking. They are not as good at pass blocking, especially at the tackle position.

Focus on the pass for offense and stack the box to slow down Michigan's running game on defense.
Michigan has one of the top D-lines in college football, and nobody has been able to run consistently against them. Based on PFF scores so far this season, Michigan has the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th highest rated D linemen in the Big 10. Their weakest link is the defensive backfield.
The Michigan O line is also very good, especially at run blocking. They are not as good at pass blocking, especially at the tackle position.
Thanks! I'll get this in front of Peej.

Lets just play the damn football game and see what happens. Given some of the comments by fellow GopherHolers, we shouldn't even show up....the why bother group. You never know until you play the game.

Technically that's not true. The team averaged 34.1 points per game in 2019. That was 3rd in the Big Ten and 22nd in the country. The Gophers also led the Big Ten in passing yards per attempt (10.2) . We had uncharacteristically superior passing game that season but it didn't last.

We had an uncharacteristically bad defense in the following pandemic short year: gave up 30.1 points and 416 yards per game. There were five conference teams that actually gave up more points per game. The defense did improve as the season progressed. The Gophers gave up an average of 47 points per game in the first two games.
Nice knowing you.

4) All three turnover have to result in a MN touchdown. Even then…
This is from the New York Times when we beat the #1 ranked Wolverines in 1977:
"Michigan fumbled four times, losing possession three times, while the Gophers were playing mistake‐free football and harassing the Wolverine quarterback, Rick Leach, all afternoon. Minnesota intercepted two passes in the final quarter."

I'm hoping for a repeat performance, but not counting on it.

"Michigan fumbled four times, losing possession three times, while the Gophers were playing mistake‐free football and harassing the Wolverine quarterback, Rick Leach, all afternoon. Minnesota intercepted two passes in the final quarter."

They replay this game from time to time the Big Ten network and it’s big fun to watch.

Despite the doom & gloom, I"m still going to show up. You never know when you may attend a game that will be remembered forever....

Best of luck also to all those taking Michigan -19.5.....

We do something creative and actually try to get an advantage with our plays/strategy.

Would be very out of character for this coach.

Time management important too...

That is one reason that I used to hate the QB sneak. Now that you can push from behind its a better choice. I did not mind the sneak when the ball was not near the goal line, but at the goal line it was a terrible choice. And, you always had to count on the officials to spot the ball correctly. We'll never the benefit of the doubt vs. Michigan or Ohio State.

Would be nice to put an end to the longest home drought (45 years) in the Big Ten.

Lets just play the damn football game and see what happens. Given some of the comments by fellow GopherHolers, we shouldn't even show up....the why bother group. You never know until you play the game.
If the objective is to win the game, you're right, there is no point in showing up. If you feel differently, I will wager any amount you wish on this game straight up. Let me know if you're interested and name your price.

This is the toughest opponent Minnesota has faced since …

2015 @ OH State
I mean the 2018 OSU also won the Rose Bowl and went 13-1. But yeah definitely up there in toughest opponents.

I mean the 2018 OSU also won the Rose Bowl and went 13-1. But yeah definitely up there in toughest opponents.
Amazingly we hung around in that game, and you could honestly make the argument that we should/could have won it

Last edited:

Call me crazy but I just think there’s something in the air about this game….
Hmmm, this actually would be a great entrance song. Start playing it as the players leave the locker room and start their walk, and then have the storming onto the field as the drum solo hits.

Hmmm, this actually would be a great entrance song. Start playing it as the players leave the locker room and start their walk, and then have the storming onto the field as the drum solo hits.
reminds me of und hockey. pass

Stranger things have happened! cross your fingers and toss a few dimes in a fountain. Michigan could uncharacteristically melt down with fumbles, missed defensive assignments, errant passes being picked off, etc... We got a snowballs chance in hell... and sometimes hell freezes over! (well it couldnt based on its lore, but its not a real place anyways) Manifest this win good patrons of Gopherhole message board! RTB SUM GG!!

Meanwhile, Twins kicked butt.

1696511143238.png

Super Bowl Chiefs come to town for a close game Vikes could win (was Chiefs favored by 5.5, now 4.5).
1696511244122.png

No, #2 Michigan future champ can't be beat but let's have a game (on prime time national TV).
1696511304729.png

If the objective is to win the game, you're right, there is no point in showing up. If you feel differently, I will wager any amount you wish on this game straight up. Let me know if you're interested and name your price.
Wow....surprised to see a take like this from you. Obviously it would be foolish to expect a Gopher victory or put up money of any kind on them to win because yeah....Michigan will almost certainly win the game.

But to say there is no hope of any kind is ignoring the fact that upsets can and do happen.

Meanwhile, Twins kicked butt.

View attachment 27472

Super Bowl Chiefs come to town for a close game Vikes could win (was Chiefs favored by 5.5, now 4.5).
View attachment 27473

No, #2 Michigan future champ can't be beat but let's have a game (on prime time national TV).
View attachment 27474
You forgot to include Taylor Swift in the graphic about the Vikings game because that seems to be all NFL people can talk about these days and she will probably be in attendance. :)

Amazingly we hung around in that game, and you could honestly make the argument that we should/could have won it
We were there too and in fact we were ahead for about 90 seconds during the play review.

I can honestly say the fan reaction in a sold out TCF on a chilly Halloween Game night to the TD call was as wild and exuberant as any the Billds have ever experienced. This was Harbaugh's first year and we were playing to win.

The deflation when the TD call was overturned was palpable. I also think we used a timeout to boot even after the play review.

Once we were ready both the Meeessshhheeeegan fans there and we Gophers held our breath until we started watching those precious seconds tick down with Mitch doing nothing. Us Gophers started saying "snap the ball"..."run the play"..."the clock is running"...and the like as the seconds vanished off the clock.

Very surreal ending. Big Blue was happy and we were not. Sigh.

Keeping The Jug this weekend would be surreal too. The Billds will take it.

We were there too and in fact we were ahead for about 90 seconds during the play review.

I can honestly say the fan reaction in a sold out TCF on a chilly Halloween Game night to the TD call was as wild and exuberant as any the Billds have ever experienced. This was Harbaugh's first year and we were playing to win.

The deflation when the TD call was overturned was palpable. I also think we used a timeout to boot even after the play review.

Once we were ready both the Meeessshhheeeegan fans there and we Gophers held our breath until we started watching those precious seconds tick down with Mitch doing nothing. Us Gophers started saying "snap the ball"..."run the play"..."the clock is running"...and the like as the seconds vanished off the clock.

Very surreal ending. Big Blue was happy and we were not. Sigh.

Keeping The Jug this weekend would be surreal too. The Billds will take it.
Oh I was talking about 2018 OSU at the Shoe. Don’t even get me started on that Michigan game

I count 21 Michigan players getting over $100,000 each for NIL valuation. Five are over $400,000 each.

Oh wow their running back is worth a million.
So what. That does not guarantee winning. Top 3 payrolls inn the MLB did not even smell the playoffs. Too much is put on the NIL crap. Texas A&M is sporting an outrageous NIL but yet they are crap. Any team can win and every year there is a shocker. Money helps at times but it is the human than wins these games and Saturday night might produce a huge upset which will depend on those people on the field. Everyone here is going because of the threat of upset which exists at every contest.

Stranger things have happened! cross your fingers and toss a few dimes in a fountain. Michigan could uncharacteristically melt down with fumbles, missed defensive assignments, errant passes being picked off, etc... We got a snowballs chance in hell... and sometimes hell freezes over! (well it couldnt based on its lore, but its not a real place anyways) Manifest this win good patrons of Gopherhole message board! RTB SUM GG!!
Win (doubtful) or lose, we need to show we are good enough to beat everyone else on our schedule excepting OSU.

Top Bottom