12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.
And isn't Findlay's old coach now at UNLV?[/Q

Not sure. Didn't see anything on their basketball team page under the coaches bios that mentioned a tenure at Findlay, but that doesn't mean much.

Yes, Todd Simon (the former Findlay head coach) was named an assistant at UNLV shortly after 'recruiting' Vaughn to Findlay this summer.

And yes, I agree that while the B1G continues to rake in the money -- and I think will always consider itself the premier conference due to its history, the sheer numbers of its alumni, and the fact that it's academically better than its closest athletic peers in the south -- its recruiting in football and now basketball has fallen off. It's very noticeable in basketball this year, not just at Minnesota. The B1G was unquestionably the best conference last year, it is widely considered to have the best coaches, and yet its schools are being beaten out for recruits right and left. In addition to reasons others have mentioned, the cynic (and realist) in me also believes that most B1G schools are not willing to indulge in 'questionable' recruiting practices (or tolerate questionable booster involvement) as other schools, particularly in the south and on the east coast. Sure you can name Michigan in the 90's as a counter-example, but I think by and large my point is true.

That said, recruiting 'top 10' players in college basketball is a tricky way to build a program, since they're often one and done. Getting a lot of good 4 year players is maybe one reason the B1G has been so good from top to bottom lately.

Back to the topic... I noticed Pete Kaffey say in the UNC insider article that if anyone on his list signs a SG, that will take them out of the running. Do you think that's more in reference to UNC potentially signing a top-50 kid like Robert Johnson (context of the interview question) or do you think that holds true if MN signs Morris, Shayok, Yarborough, etc.?

From Matt Gravett at http://go4report.com/gophers-basketball/9242013-recruiting-notebook/

"Rashad Vaughn: Vaughn is one of the most likely class of 2014 targets to commit to the Gophers – regardless of the amount of stars. Vaughn cut his list this weekend to seven: Arizona, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Minnesota, North Carolina, and UNLV. Let’s break down his interest in each school other than Minnesota:

1.Arizona: The Wildcats are much more interested in Stanley Johnson and Justise Winslow on the wing, and they have a shot at landing both. There has never been a real buzz connecting Vaughn’s name with Arizona, but that could change if Sean Miller misses out on both Johnson and Winslow. It’s also worth noting that Vaughn’s Findlay Prep teammate, Craig Victor is committed to Arizona.

2.Baylor: Rashad pondered giving Baylor an early commitment as an underclassmen, but there hasn’t been a ton of buzz between the Bears and Vaughn since. Although major underachievers, Baylor has produced many one-and-dones and first-round draft choices, which is what he is looking for. Scott Drew already has received a commitment from SG Damiyne Durham (not that they wouldn’t make room for Vaughn) and are also pursuing five-star SF Justise Winslow.

3.Iowa State: Vaughn knows he will be “the man” at Iowa State. He had an INCREDIBLE visit to Ames in the winter, and has an excellent relationship with Fred Hoiberg. Despite not being a powerhouse, Iowa State poses a legitimate threat to the Gophers for Vaughn.

4.Kansas: As is the case with five-star Kelly Oubre, Kansas is putting on the full-court press to land Vaughn. Possibly the only “blue blood” pursuing Vaughn hard, the Jayhawks are definitely in the running to land Rashad.

5.North Carolina: UNC is perhaps the most interesting team on Vaughn’s final seven. North Carolina already has two five-star SG/SF commitments in Justin Jackson and Theo Pinson in addition to a point guard commit, Joel Berry. Vaughn could play alongside Pinson, an athletic freak, but Jackson is a similar player who can score at all three levels. Nevertheless, I do think the Tar Heels would accept a commitment from Rashad, and he almost committed in the Spring. I also don’t think playing time is a factor; he’s a very confident player than wouldn’t be worried about Jackson or Pinson potentially stealing some of his minutes.

6.UNLV: The Rebels didn’t start recruiting Vaughn until the summer. He can visit campus whenever he wants, however, and UNLV is making a strong push. Dave Rice already has one SF commitment, Dwayne Morgan, but Morgan and Vaughn could definitely play alongside each other.

Kansas, North Carolina, Iowa State, and possibly UNLV will be Pitino’s biggest competitors. CHANCE: 30%"

I could possibly understand a lost to a blue blood program as a greener pastures move, but ISU? Really... Really, how could they even be in the running? I get that Hoiberg may be a great guy, but to follow him to the North Dakota of the south? He will be moving onto the pros soon and those players will still be out in the middle of a cornfield.

I could possibly understand a lost to a blue blood program as a greener pastures move, but ISU? Really... Really, how could they even be in the running? I get that Hoiberg may be a great guy, but to follow him to the North Dakota of the south? He will be moving onto the pros soon and those players will still be out in the middle of a cornfield.

Fred can tell him - and I'm sure he has - that he took a talent like Royce White and, in only one season, built the whole thing around him, featured him, optimized his all-around performance, all in a way that showcased him for scouts at the next level. I have to admit it's a compelling argument. Richard needs to form a sales pitch built around neutralizing that argument.

I don't understand it either, but from his interviews it's obvious he's really high on ISU and really likes Hoiberg. I don't think he'll end up their in the end, but I can see why others ("experts") think that.

Fred can tell him - and I'm sure he has - that he took a talent like Royce White and, in only one season, built the whole thing around him, featured him, optimized his all-around performance, all in a way that showcased him for scouts at the next level. I have to admit it's a compelling argument. Richard needs to form a sales pitch built around neutralizing that argument.

Royce was here under Tubby/Maturi and with Royce's questionable character, I doubt that's even playing into either coach's recruiting angle. Hoiberg has been on Vaughn for a long time now. He's probably using his past experience as an Iowa St. star, 10 year NBA shooting guard, and former VP of Basketball Ops as a way to relate and pitch Vaughn. I don't see why they don't have the same shot or better than MN does for Vaughn. I love MN anytime vs. the barren fields of Ames, but we're talking about a guy who's probably 1-2 years and gone to the pros and a guy that lives in the gym.

I don't think that Pitino is looking for the "center everything around me" type players and neither are the other top programs. Only a fringe want-a-be program would whore themselves out to a player like that, not a very good idea for building a team or a program. I don't think Rashad is that type of player.

It looks to me like Kansas is the main competition, NC has two wings committed, that just does not seem like a fit to me.

I don't think that Pitino is looking for the "center everything around me" type players and neither are the other top programs. Only a fringe want-a-be program would whore themselves out to a player like that, not a very good idea for building a team or a program. I don't think Rashad is that type of player.

Fred can also make the case that the "get on Royce's back" approach was good for the team's fortunes. They had a good year and got into the Tournament.

Listen, I'm not trying to make Fred's case for him. Just putting myself in his place and guessing how he's selling this. It's good to know your competition.

It's a pretty obvious and natural argument for Hoiberg. He has the pieces in place for a very strong 2014 squad, and needs a guy who can be 'the man'. Royce White and Vaughn have been in contact, so it is at least a part of the recruiting pitch. It's likely that Rodney Williams is doing the same for the Gophs.

As for Minnesota, it's hard for me to see it unless the Gophers get to the tourney and get some other 2014 pieces that can contribute immediately. Vaughn seems to want to be 'the man', but I'd bet he is looking for a place with a strong supporting cast that has room for a superstar; to me, that means UNLV, KU (only if Selden + Wiggins go pro), or ISU. If Vaughn were a 2015 recruit Minny would be right there. I just don't think Pitino has proven himself to the blue blood recruits quite yet.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/JoshMartin_206">@JoshMartin_206</a> played with <a href="https://twitter.com/ShowtimeMr">@ShowtimeMr</a> at Rucker Park this summer. Martin told me he'll try his best to persuade Vaughn to be a tandem.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/384822487256530945">September 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I know the knee jerk reaction is that Vaugn is now less likely to end up Golden now that he's out-of-state, but if you're like me and figured based on some of his past comments that he was interested in looking outside of MN, maybe moving away will help us. That is, maybe he gets a bit homesick or realizes MN ain't such a bad place to be.

File this post under "wild speculation." Rip away.

I know the knee jerk reaction is that Vaugn is now less likely to end up Golden now that he's out-of-state, but if you're like me and figured based on some of his past comments that he was interested in looking outside of MN, maybe moving away will help us. That is, maybe he gets a bit homesick or realizes MN ain't such a bad place to be.

How dare you come on this board with an optimistic attitude. You should be flogged by a Tyus Jones crossover. :)

It's a pretty obvious and natural argument for Hoiberg. He has the pieces in place for a very strong 2014 squad, and needs a guy who can be 'the man'. Royce White and Vaughn have been in contact, so it is at least a part of the recruiting pitch. It's likely that Rodney Williams is doing the same for the Gophs.

As for Minnesota, it's hard for me to see it unless the Gophers get to the tourney and get some other 2014 pieces that can contribute immediately. Vaughn seems to want to be 'the man', but I'd bet he is looking for a place with a strong supporting cast that has room for a superstar; to me, that means UNLV, KU (only if Selden + Wiggins go pro), or ISU. If Vaughn were a 2015 recruit Minny would be right there. I just don't think Pitino has proven himself to the blue blood recruits quite yet.

If Vaughn is actually listening to Royce White than i'd be worried about his sanity.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/JoshMartin_206">@JoshMartin_206</a> played with <a href="https://twitter.com/ShowtimeMr">@ShowtimeMr</a> at Rucker Park this summer. Martin told me he'll try his best to persuade Vaughn to be a tandem.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/384822487256530945">September 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SWEET!!!

Bingo, distance makes the heart grow fonder. He has had the opportunity to travel and play all across the country, but it is different when you actually move away. It could get the "grass is green" syndrome out of his system, and hopefully he sees the value of playing close to his family and friends. He is young and still has the luxury of being able to chose where he plays and it can mean a lot to share that experience with his family. That will be out of his control once it becomes a job and he is playing in the NBA.

Bingo, distance makes the heart grow fonder. He has had the opportunity to travel and play all across the country, but it is different when you actually move away. It could get the "grass is green" syndrome out of his system, and hopefully he sees the value of playing close to his family and friends. He is young and still has the luxury of being able to chose where he plays and it can mean a lot to share that experience with his family. That will be out of his control once it becomes a job and he is playing in the NBA.

Well stated. I completely agree.

Honestly, I don't see how ISU is really that much better off than Minnesota. You know, they both won the same number of games in the tourney this past year. Hoiberg has turned Ames into Transfer U, but they lose Ejim after this upcoming season and that is a huge loss and so will be Kane. ISU for 2014-15 looks to me like a few decent players (Niang for sure and Thomas probably and Morris maybe) and a pu pu platter. Not sure I buy your line of thought that ISU has a very strong (i.e., NCAA tourney) 2014 squad - they may end up in the tourney but it's not a given as replacing six seniors is tough even with a 1-year merc to go along with a couple good returnees. Ultimately, I see Vaughn taking his talents to somewhere better than Ames.

Honestly, I don't see how ISU is really that much better off than Minnesota. You know, they both won the same number of games in the tourney this past year. Hoiberg has turned Ames into Transfer U, but they lose Ejim after this upcoming season and that is a huge loss and so will be Kane. ISU for 2014-15 looks to me like a few decent players (Niang for sure and Thomas probably and Morris maybe) and a pu pu platter. Not sure I buy your line of thought that ISU has a very strong (i.e., NCAA tourney) 2014 squad - they may end up in the tourney but it's not a given as replacing six seniors is tough even with a 1-year merc to go along with a couple good returnees. Ultimately, I see Vaughn taking his talents to somewhere better than Ames.

Perfect for ISU.... Or the Gophers. Vaughn wants to be the man and be close to home. If the Gophers can prove they have better talent and Pitino can prove he can coach at a high level we have a very good shot.

Plus he would have to move to Ames. Ouch.

If Vaughn is actually listening to Royce White than i'd be worried about his sanity.

+1 My thoughts exactly!!!

Besides, y'all do remember that Royce White chose Minnesota over ISU and a host of others, right? The man had the Minnesota "M" tattooed on his arm. He went to Halfway House U only because they weren't going to let him play here after his multiple infractions, ISU was close by, and probably many other major schools wouldn't take him.

While I would take down townTwin Cities any day, Ames (besides the horrible drive) is really not that bad. Its is a typical college town, that is actually pretty big and less than a 3 hour drive to the Twin Cities. If you really want to look at colleges in the middle of nowhere look at Nebraska, or other Big 12 teams; Baylor (Waco), Kansas State (Manhattan) Texas Tech (Lubbock).

I'm sure the coaches recruiting him are aware of this, but Vaughn still has a girlfriend back home that he seems very, very close with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom