12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.
That "UNC fan" is just another guy on the internet. If you have "sources" you aren't going to be posting on some random Iowa State forum. I doubt UNC are out of it. Vaughn's always spoke highly of UNC and was close to committing there at one time as we all know. I'd say ISU are ahead of us right now but what we have going for us is we are home for Rashad and he knows that he'd be treated like royalty here.

UNC was the frontrunner, that was a while ago, things have changed, and if he didn't mean it he wouldn't of said it, he was a UNC fan so i don't see why he would lie about it or exagerate it, its not like he would want that to happen

The thing about Vaughn is that he already has an NBA body and NBA range. He could be plugged in to an NBA roster and contribute right now.

Whether or not he becomes a star is still up in the air. He strikes me as a guy who has the inner drive for it, but who knows at this point. But physically, there's nothing holding him back, and that is the main thing that tends to hold freshmen back. Most of the kids with the perimeter skills need to develop physically, while most of the kids with the physical attributes need to develop their perimeter skills. The only thing holding back Vaughn is the 1-and-done rule and time to showcase and hone his scoring ability.

I get that a lot of guys think they can be 1-and-done when in reality it is really hard. But most guys don't come in as freshmen at 6'6", a strong build, and NBA shooting range.

I hope like hell that we get him, but I'm pretty confident that whoever does will only have him for one season.

not a chance. hes a good shooter, not a stephen curry type freak shooter.. plus, his trigger is average.. need a quick trigger in nba.. he has a ways to go yet.

It would be sheer foolishness.

Really? Minnesota and Iowa have been pretty even over the last 2 years. Vaughn has known the Iowa State coaches far longer than he has known the Minnesota coaches. He obviously like Hoiberg. I think his parents like Hoiberg. He is well aware that Iowa State fans really, really want him.

One might say that it would be sheer foolishness to pick Iowa State (or Minnesota, frankly) over North Carolina or Kentucky. But Iowa State over Minnesota? Not really.

I'll also add this....the pictures of Vaughn over on the Iowa State board are mostly just for fun. Most Iowa State fans have a realistic idea on our chances of landing Vaughn. We feel good about it (better than we did earlier this summer), but we don't think anything is decided. We like that we are apparently getting an official visit (even though he has been on at least 2 unofficials) in November. But we realize that he could still land anywhere in what I think is his top 6 or 7 (Minnesota, NC, UNLV, Kentucky, Baylor, Kansas, and Iowa State.)

It's been a fun recruiting process. I wish he would make his decision this fall!

Really? Minnesota and Iowa have been pretty even over the last 2 years. Vaughn has known the Iowa State coaches far longer than he has known the Minnesota coaches. He obviously like Hoiberg. I think his parents like Hoiberg. He is well aware that Iowa State fans really, really want him.

One might say that it would be sheer foolishness to pick Iowa State (or Minnesota, frankly) over North Carolina or Kentucky. But Iowa State over Minnesota? Not really.

I'll also add this....the pictures of Vaughn over on the Iowa State board are mostly just for fun. Most Iowa State fans have a realistic idea on our chances of landing Vaughn. We feel good about it (better than we did earlier this summer), but we don't think anything is decided. We like that we are apparently getting an official visit (even though he has been on at least 2 unofficials) in November. But we realize that he could still land anywhere in what I think is his top 6 or 7 (Minnesota, NC, UNLV, Kentucky, Baylor, Kansas, and Iowa State.)

It's been a fun recruiting process. I wish he would make his decision this fall!

I don't mind ISU, mostly because of our common hatred of Iowa. But as you say, ISU is somewhat similarly situated to Minnesota in terms of basketball success, and as much as ISU fans want Vaughn, he's a hometown hero here. Further, Hoiberg seems likely to be off to the NBA at some point. And who wants to live in Ames, as opposed to Minneapolis?

After reading this, I agree - it would be sheer foolishness.

I'm sorry, but this is just awesome:

plxPM0X.gif

Minnesota basketball fans putting down Iowa St. basketball still continues to baffle and amaze me.

Minnesota basketball fans putting down Iowa St. basketball still continues to baffle and amaze me.

I must say, you're incredibly easy to amaze and baffle then. I'm not sure what your expected alternative is.

Really? Minnesota and Iowa State have been pretty even over the last 2 years.

Which is exactly why it would be weird if he chose Iowa State over Minnesota. If he chooses to go to Minnesota, he can be a hometown hero and his friends and family can watch every home game (not true at ISU). His description of the system he wants to play in is also word for word the way Pitino says we will play. It would make a lot more sense for him to go to a "Blue Blood" if he chooses to pass up that opportunity. Wouldn't make much sense for him to pass that up just to play for a roughly equal program.

The following is a direct cut and paste job from the UNC guy on our (Iowa State) board.... sorry about no paragraph breaks, but I didn't write it so it is what it is. I thought you guys might be interested. Evidently this is an interview with Kaffey from the UNC pay forum.

Vaughn’s mentor and assistant coach at Findlay, Pete Kaffey, confirmed the news on Monday.“He’s not doing that official to North Carolina coming up,” Kaffey said. “He’s going to wait for a later date so he can watch a game. He’s not going to do the 27th official visit. It’s not like North Carolina isn’t in the picture.”“I think Rashad, he’s planning on making his decision a little later and I think he wants to catch a game,” Kaffey added. “He’s going to schedule it a little later. I know Hubert [Davis] is going to send me dates that might work and we’ll forward it to the parents.”Kaffey said the decision to push back the date was well received by both parties.“It’s not like UNC is going to be off the list, he’s just planning on going to watch a game,” he said.” Last year he enjoyed watching that Duke/UNC game so he’s planning to go for a game so his parents can enjoy a game too.”“Both sides decided that it was cool,” Kaffey continued. “Roy Williams thought it was a good idea.”North Carolina recently conducted an in-home visit with Vaughn’s parents in Minnesota and then with Vaughn at his school – Henderson (Nev.) Findlay Prep – on September 14th.“It went well,” he said of the in-home visit. “The visit with UNC went well. They are actually supposed to come see him (again) today - I think they might come and see him and say hello.”“They basically told him he’s still their No. 1 guy even though they were recruiting Robert [Johnson],” Kaffey said. “I think they had an idea Robert wasn’t going there. They said [Rashad’s] the guy. They feel like they have pieces to the puzzle and they want to win a championship and they think Rashad has a chance to help them win.”Williams and Kaffey keep in touch regularly and he said UNC’s plan is to continue to aggressively recruit him.“They really like him and they said they are going to continue to go all out on him,” he said. “Myself and Roy talk periodically and that says a lot from a Hall-of-Fame-type coach. They want him. He fits their system and they think he can have an impact right away.”“They really like Rashad,” Kaffey said. “Rashad is a franchise kid. He can go to a school like Iowa State or Minnesota and be able to have a lot success. They know that.”Since offering Vaughn earlier this year, UNC has offered other prospects at his position. How does that impact Vaughn’s decision?“If Robert would have committed, Rashad would have went a different direction,” he said. “If they get another two guard like a Johnson or Blackmon then I’m not going to be an advocate of North Carolina or any other school that takes another guy at his position.”“Roy has expressed that they have to do what’s best for North Carolina,” he added. They are going to wait on Rashad but they are still going to go out there because they need to bring in a two guard.”Vaughn has said that he intends on waiting until the spring to make a decision. While Kaffey noted that appears to still be the plan, he also said that Vaughn will decide when he feels comfortable.“That’s what he’s saying,” Kaffey said about a spring decision. “If it feels right he’s going to do it. I don’t know when he’s going to do it. His plan is to wait, but he’s just saying when it feels right. If he feels like its time, he’ll do it.”What’s UNC’s take on Vaughn timetable to make a college choice?“I think they don’t like the timetable, they really don’t,” he said. “I don’t think anybody does. Even the smaller schools. They don’t want him to wait so late. At the end of the day, they don’t have a choice because that’s what Rashad wants to do.”According to Kaffey, Vaughn will likely cut his list of schools in the near future. Among the other schools heavily involved include Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, UNLV and Minnesota.“I think Kansas is doing a great job,” he said. “I think North Carolina is doing a great job. But I also think UNLV is doing everything. They have a great class coming in with Morgan and potentially Goodluck [Okonoboh]. They feel like all they need is that guy that can come in and give them 20. Iowa State is going hard too.”“I don’t think anybody is leading right now,” Kaffey said. “I know that for a fact. I don’t think anyone is leading right now. Those schools are pursing him heavily.”Baylor and Iowa State are currently the only schools with scheduled visit dates, but look for UNLV to set one up soon.“I think we might do a UNLV coming up,” Kaffey said. “We’ve been working on that date. His parents want to come down here and see him and see what UNLV has to offer

This is the whole insider story

I'm not positive, but I think UNC rescheduled his official because Vaughn wants to see a game. Kaffey wasn't entirely clear.

The following is a direct cut and paste job from the UNC guy on our (Iowa State) board.... sorry about no paragraph breaks, but I didn't write it so it is what it is. I thought you guys might be interested. Evidently this is an interview with Kaffey from the UNC pay forum.

Vaughn’s mentor and assistant coach at Findlay, Pete Kaffey, confirmed the news on Monday.“He’s not doing that official to North Carolina coming up,” Kaffey said. “He’s going to wait for a later date so he can watch a game. He’s not going to do the 27th official visit. It’s not like North Carolina isn’t in the picture.”“I think Rashad, he’s planning on making his decision a little later and I think he wants to catch a game,” Kaffey added. “He’s going to schedule it a little later. I know Hubert [Davis] is going to send me dates that might work and we’ll forward it to the parents.”Kaffey said the decision to push back the date was well received by both parties.“It’s not like UNC is going to be off the list, he’s just planning on going to watch a game,” he said.” Last year he enjoyed watching that Duke/UNC game so he’s planning to go for a game so his parents can enjoy a game too.”“Both sides decided that it was cool,” Kaffey continued. “Roy Williams thought it was a good idea.”North Carolina recently conducted an in-home visit with Vaughn’s parents in Minnesota and then with Vaughn at his school – Henderson (Nev.) Findlay Prep – on September 14th.“It went well,” he said of the in-home visit. “The visit with UNC went well. They are actually supposed to come see him (again) today - I think they might come and see him and say hello.”“They basically told him he’s still their No. 1 guy even though they were recruiting Robert [Johnson],” Kaffey said. “I think they had an idea Robert wasn’t going there. They said [Rashad’s] the guy. They feel like they have pieces to the puzzle and they want to win a championship and they think Rashad has a chance to help them win.”Williams and Kaffey keep in touch regularly and he said UNC’s plan is to continue to aggressively recruit him.“They really like him and they said they are going to continue to go all out on him,” he said. “Myself and Roy talk periodically and that says a lot from a Hall-of-Fame-type coach. They want him. He fits their system and they think he can have an impact right away.”“They really like Rashad,” Kaffey said. “Rashad is a franchise kid. He can go to a school like Iowa State or Minnesota and be able to have a lot success. They know that.”Since offering Vaughn earlier this year, UNC has offered other prospects at his position. How does that impact Vaughn’s decision?“If Robert would have committed, Rashad would have went a different direction,” he said. “If they get another two guard like a Johnson or Blackmon then I’m not going to be an advocate of North Carolina or any other school that takes another guy at his position.”“Roy has expressed that they have to do what’s best for North Carolina,” he added. They are going to wait on Rashad but they are still going to go out there because they need to bring in a two guard.”Vaughn has said that he intends on waiting until the spring to make a decision. While Kaffey noted that appears to still be the plan, he also said that Vaughn will decide when he feels comfortable.“That’s what he’s saying,” Kaffey said about a spring decision. “If it feels right he’s going to do it. I don’t know when he’s going to do it. His plan is to wait, but he’s just saying when it feels right. If he feels like its time, he’ll do it.”What’s UNC’s take on Vaughn timetable to make a college choice?“I think they don’t like the timetable, they really don’t,” he said. “I don’t think anybody does. Even the smaller schools. They don’t want him to wait so late. At the end of the day, they don’t have a choice because that’s what Rashad wants to do.”According to Kaffey, Vaughn will likely cut his list of schools in the near future. Among the other schools heavily involved include Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, UNLV and Minnesota.“I think Kansas is doing a great job,” he said. “I think North Carolina is doing a great job. But I also think UNLV is doing everything. They have a great class coming in with Morgan and potentially Goodluck [Okonoboh]. They feel like all they need is that guy that can come in and give them 20. Iowa State is going hard too.”“I don’t think anybody is leading right now,” Kaffey said. “I know that for a fact. I don’t think anyone is leading right now. Those schools are pursing him heavily.”Baylor and Iowa State are currently the only schools with scheduled visit dates, but look for UNLV to set one up soon.“I think we might do a UNLV coming up,” Kaffey said. “We’ve been working on that date. His parents want to come down here and see him and see what UNLV has to offer

This is the whole insider story

Thanks for the post YellowSnow. Not as much Gopher talk as I'd like, but a lot of these interviews are slanted towards who is asking the questions.

Go Gophers!!

Iowa State had a home visit with Vaughn's parent's last night. Earlier that day Fred Hoiberg also met with Kevin Love and Flip Saunders according to twitter. I wish he did not have as many Minnesota ties as he does haha.

Kentucky being cut is interesting, and good news.

Who's left? Minnesota, Iowa St, Kansas, UNLV, UNC, Baylor, Arizona?

ESPN INSIDER ARTICLE: http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/post?id=6107

Rashad Vaughn (Findlay Prep/Golden Valley, Minn.), the 11th-ranked player in the ESPN 100, trimmed his list to seven schools: Arizona, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Minnesota, North Carolina and UNLV. Georgetown, Kentucky, UConn and UCLA were eliminated.

"The reason he wants to do it now is that he wants to focus on the schools that he is most interested in," said Pete Kaffey, his assistant coach and mentor.

The NCAA allows five official visits for each senior prospect. With seven schools on his list, two visits will have to be unofficial. Which schools will get the official visits?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I understand the subjective nature of 'cutting' schools but there isn't a program in the nation that couldn't use <a href="https://twitter.com/ShowtimeMr">@ShowtimeMr</a></p>— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/statuses/382569946972430336">September 24, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Let's keep this thread on topic. Mostly talking to the ISU fans that have taken over this thread.

I don't think Kentucky coming off the "list" necessarily means they're out of it. We'll see what happens in the spring when Kentucky is celebrating a 30 win season and possible national championship, commentators are praising Calipari's coaching, and Kentucky suddenly has 6 roster spots open from guys declaring to the NBA.

And UNLV remains our biggest competition in my opinion, as they are the school most likely to do something crooked.

I don't think Kentucky coming off the "list" necessarily means they're out of it. We'll see what happens in the spring when Kentucky is celebrating a 30 win season and possible national championship, commentators are praising Calipari's coaching, and Kentucky suddenly has 6 roster spots open from guys declaring to the NBA.

And UNLV remains our biggest competition in my opinion, as they are the school most likely to do something crooked.

Yeah, I was surprised to see Kentucky off the list for that very reason; they'll likely have a ton of roster spots after players declare which would fit Vaughn's timetable.

Yeah, I was surprised to see Kentucky off the list for that very reason; they'll likely have a ton of roster spots after players declare which would fit Vaughn's timetable.

I'm certain they can get back on the list as well.. esepecially if he waits until Spring. All the big boys will lose a player here and there and Vaughn will get his recruitment kicked up to new levels.

Some people think James Blackmon Jr. will follow in his father's footsteps and go to Kentucky which may explain why Rashad left them off of his list. Kentucky doesn't seem like a place Vaughn would be interested in honestly. I think he wants to be the star with good pieces around him. Kentucky just tries to put together super teams every year.

Agree. Also don't trust the staff at Findlay Prep. There have been rumors about their own dirty dealings in terms of steering kids where they want them to go.

Agree. Also don't trust the staff at Findlay Prep. There have been rumors about their own dirty dealings in terms of steering kids where they want them to go.

And isn't Findlay's old coach now at UNLV?

Some people think James Blackmon Jr. will follow in his father's footsteps and go to Kentucky which may explain why Rashad left them off of his list. Kentucky doesn't seem like a place Vaughn would be interested in honestly. I think he wants to be the star with good pieces around him. Kentucky just tries to put together super teams every year.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom