Josh Martin to seek transfer from U

Is it wrong for me to wish that last year's big 3 all suffer from the same intense homesickness leading to a transfer back to MN?

It will probably only be Tyus and it won't be for the Gophers.

Wouldn't be surprised if he goes Juco out West. He can play right away at a Juco can't he?

Yes, and then he can transfer to a D1 school the following year.

Were any of the rest of you there when the "Iron Five" upset #10 Iowa and Sir Jamalot? That was awesome!

I remember it well. I was living in Iowa City at the time. I seem to recall that the Gophers recruited a couple of players from the football team just in case they needed spare bodies.

This isn't scandal. This is a transfer for unknown reasons. Times have been much darker my friend. Sorry to see anyone jump ship on anything that quickly, though.

I was replying to someone saying the Iron 5. That was a dark time...

You have your history a little wrong there even though you are on the right track. Mitch Lee was involved in an incident well before Madison. He got acquitted or charges were dropped in that one. Following that- he made the pitiful champagne glass move and showed up at a game that way. Dutcher sent him to the locker room for a shave if I recall correctly and didn't let him play that night. After the Madison incident, none of the players returned to play again at Minnesota.

And for history's sake, those players were again acquitted of the second crime (for the Madison Incident).

Although Martin may have not completely went about this in the right way I still think we should give him respect and not completely trash the 18 year old. I think that it can definitely be tough for an 18 year old kid to move hours away from home and not be able to return for a long time. Without security or comfort it may be hard for kids to keep focused or upbeat. They may get down on themselves and it is tough. Was it wise for him to leave like this? No it wasn't, but I think that it can be hard for people to have a perfect mentality all of the time and keep a good piece of mind. Some people are just more fragile than people. We can say "oh we don't want these type of kids on our team," but in reality everyone is just different. A good example would be ESPN's piece and how they talk about Landon Donavan's mindset, feelings, and attitude being just different, and he is one of the best of all time. This may be a stretch because he hasn't done anything in maroon but lets give the kid a little slack.

Josh was recruited due to his perceived talent. Josh decided he did not want to stay for whatever reasons and Coach Pitino wished him well. That does not sound like he was being forced out. Let's play ball and let Richard/staff recruit the additional talent required to make this team a final four team and I think were well on our way from several years ago when we had lots of players and made hockey line type situations just when we were on a roll. We can win with the nice talent that we have so let's just play ball and instead of trying to figure out what happened, lets talk about potential recruits for next spring and fall. LOTS MORE FUN!!!

Although Martin may have not completely went about this in the right way I still think we should give him respect and not completely trash the 18 year old. I think that it can definitely be tough for an 18 year old kid to move hours away from home and not be able to return for a long time. Without security or comfort it may be hard for kids to keep focused or upbeat. They may get down on themselves and it is tough. Was it wise for him to leave like this? No it wasn't, but I think that it can be hard for people to have a perfect mentality all of the time and keep a good piece of mind. Some people are just more fragile than people. We can say "oh we don't want these type of kids on our team," but in reality everyone is just different. A good example would be ESPN's piece and how they talk about Landon Donavan's mindset, feelings, and attitude being just different, and he is one of the best of all time. This may be a stretch because he hasn't done anything in maroon but lets give the kid a little slack.

You have a point that we should understand Martin's decision before trashing him and his execution. However, because one has empathy or understanding, they are in no way obligated to look favorably on the bad actor.

**** him, he's weak.

Ryan James says it's as simple as this: Martin & his family thought he should be playing more than he was. End of story.

Ryan James says it's as simple as this: Martin & his family thought he should be playing more than he was. End of story.

I hate his response but I must admit that I was surprised that he didn't see the court more in some of these games.

Josh was recruited due to his perceived talent. Josh decided he did not want to stay for whatever reasons and Coach Pitino wished him well. That does not sound like he was being forced out. Let's play ball and let Richard/staff recruit the additional talent required to make this team a final four team and I think were well on our way from several years ago when we had lots of players and made hockey line type situations just when we were on a roll. We can win with the nice talent that we have so let's just play ball and instead of trying to figure out what happened, lets talk about potential recruits for next spring and fall. LOTS MORE FUN!!!

So not making the Tournament is "well on our way", but making the Tournament and winning a game there isn't? Interesting.

He left because of lack of playing time? Wow. That is embarrassing. I suppose the days of staying, working hard, and competing for a place are over and done with. Hand me what I am entitled to on a platter, or I will go find someplace else.

User Actions
Follow

Ryan James
‏@RyanJamesMN
Josh Martin seems like the perfect fit for this team, and the perfect compliment to Joey King.

So not making the Tournament is "well on our way", but making the Tournament and winning a game there isn't? Interesting.

Correct. No Trevor, Rodney, Mathieu but with a 300 pound Walker is the opposite of "well on our way" in 2013-14.

Talent, physical conditioning, commitment to excellence, and mental toughness are required to play for the Pitino's. It is clear that if you do not have the mental toughness to play in his system, you need to go to a different program. The mental piece is most overlooked and separates the good from the best. Anyone who wants to make the NBA needs to be strong mentally. Good luck Josh, I hope you develop what it takes to showcase your natural talent.

Martin's thought process probably went like this... "My game is better than Lavine's, and he was a one and done, and was a first round draft pick. Coach is just not letting me play."

He left because of lack of playing time? Wow. That is embarrassing. I suppose the days of staying, working hard, and competing for a place are over and done with. Hand me what I am entitled to on a platter, or I will go find someplace else.

Yep, today we live in the era of entitlement and coddling where feelings rule. Of course, there are exceptions out there, and thank goodness for that. But, in general, I feel sorry for kids growing up with so many unwise people in areas of authority in education. As the old Beach Boys song says, "I just was made for these times."

8 games, wow. Probably has a lot of people telling him he is better and more entitled than he is.

As bad as that is though, what's worse is he wasn't even man enough to talk to his teammates. Pathetic.

The latest from Marcus, with this nugget about Daddy not being happy with his baby boy's playing time and apparently delicate psyche:

"Martin's father recently spoke to the Gophers about his son's lack of playing time and difficulty dealing with being yelled at in practice, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

He also wondered why his son wasn't playing more at small forward, where he was more comfortable, the source said."

Does anybody know when Josh was officially adopted by the Ellensons?

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...-transfers-part-college-landscape-pitino-says

Oh daddy was upset. Now it all makes sense. I'm sure UCSB needs a new small forward. I'm sure he'll flourish there.

Yep, today we live in the era of entitlement and coddling where feelings rule. Of course, there are exceptions out there, and thank goodness for that. But, in general, I feel sorry for kids growing up with so many unwise people in areas of authority in education. As the old Beach Boys song says, "I just was made for these times."

Correction:
I just wasn't made for these times

I seem to remember that RS III wanted to leave the program (not 8 games into his freshman season mind you - maybe his 2nd or 3rd year), but his father wouldn't let him.

Top Bottom