******Official Minnesota vs. Illinois in-game thread: 11AM CT, ESPNU*********

Every game is different. We probably win 2 out of 3 vs Illinois. We had a bad game. We are not a bad team and still have a good chance vs the teams on our schedule. The D held them to 21 pts. The offense in the first half, the turnover in the ted zone, and the missed FG were the difference. Only 3 pts going into the half. That is totally unacceptable. 21 pts in the second half was pretty good for this offense.

I am not a Mitch defender, did Mitch make I thing either jones or mate drop the ball that hit their hands in the first half nor Wolitarsky's drop? Let alone Fruechte who may have lost the ball in the sun's drop?

Nope. Mitch didn't have a good game.....but it's easier for some of the less perceptive fans to blame him for the loss.

Complain about Limey, Mitch, Santoso, etc., but if Cobb doesn't fumble there is a good chance we win. It put the game to a point where we needed the offense and not the defense to win the game for us.

Cobb has been the best offensive player on our team all year and will continue to be. Mitch probably doesn't deserve to be starting for any D1 program in the country right now. His "good throws" are to wide open WRs on play actions... Anyone in the country could make those throws. Now lets think about all the WIDE OPEN receivers he missed all game (and all year) and how many dud balls he throws. He is so beyond painful to watch.

Cobb has been the best offensive player on our team all year and will continue to be. Mitch probably doesn't deserve to be starting for any D1 program in the country right now. His "good throws" are to wide open WRs on play actions... Anyone in the country could make those throws. Now lets think about all the WIDE OPEN receivers he missed all game (and all year) and how many dud balls he throws. He is so beyond painful to watch.

Anyone could have made the TD pass to Maye against Purdue last week? Who is anyone......and where can we find him?

Cobb has been the best offensive player on our team all year and will continue to be.

I don't disagree. Simply saying his fumble was as costly or more so than what others did.

I guess you didn't watch the first three conference games. Worst in D1? He's simply inconsistent.

I am not a Mitch defender, did Mitch make I thing either jones or mate drop the ball that hit their hands in the first half nor Wolitarsky's drop? Let alone Fruechte who may have lost the ball in the sun's drop?

No, the defender made Wolitrasky drop that ball.

Mitch went 12 for 30. While you may not be a Mitch defender, if you think the majority of those 18 incompletions were because of the bad play of the receivers, you may not have watched the game to closely either.

If Mitch comes back around and starts throwing like he has done in a number of games starting with the bowl against Syracuse, there should be more wins on the Gopher schedule this season. If not?

What sums up the day best is, in my opinion, that the offensive gameplan once again revolved around runs up the gut and deep passes. Leidner was clearly out of his groove early (perhaps after his very first pass), and Limey once again forgot to give him some really easy throws to get his confidence back up. Leidner had some confidence late after a couple of long completions, but by then a very winnable game turned into a nerve-fest, and the Gophers choked a bit under pressure.

I really question the lack of a screen passing game in this O.

Jeff Sagarin's USA Today rankings probably close to being right - has Gophs #45 before this weeks games...November will be interesting

Just an ugly game and not showing up came back to cost this team. A lot of blame to go around Fruechte losing the ball in the sun, drops from receivers, bad decisions by Leidner, Cobb fumble, backs always looking to bust the big play instead of taking what is there, getting physically beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball for most of the game, a missed field goal, bad tackling and discipline on defense at times really thought Lynn and Wells were bad but even with all those mistakes I think we would have won the game if not for Limegrover really calling some questionable plays on the drive where Santoso missed the field goal. I really didn't understand putting Kirkwood out there when we had got down to around the 20 and Illinois had called timeout. I think that was the perfect time to feed Cobb and put the nail in the coffin. Lot of work to be done during the bye week to put this bad loss behind us and get ready for Iowa.

For all the complaining about Mitch's throwing ability and decision making, we lost this game on two plays - the missed field goal and Cobb's fumble. Having said that, it's just really disappointing to see the team come out with such a lack of intensity for the 2nd week in a row.

Just an ugly game and not showing up came back to cost this team. A lot of blame to go around Fruechte losing the ball in the sun, drops from receivers, bad decisions by Leidner, Cobb fumble, backs always looking to bust the big play instead of taking what is there, getting physically beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball for most of the game, a missed field goal, bad tackling and really just bad defense at times but even with all those mistakes I think we would have won the game if not for Limegrover really calling some questionable plays on the drive where Santoso missed the field goal. I really didn't understand putting Kirkwood out there when we had got down to around the 20 and Illinois had called timeout. I think that was the perfect time to feed Cobb and put the nail in the coffin. Lot of work to be done during the bye week to put this bad loss behind us and get ready for Iowa.

YEP! Similar to Beckman trying to be too cute by replacing his QB after their two quick scores to let the reeling Gophers off the hook, the Gophers returned the silliness and it cost the team all of its momentum.

THis is NOT directed at you, but there are probably one or more people out there who are happy - at least a little bit with the loss - not because they like losses - but because there are posters who feel much better when they are RIGHT/CORRECT - even to the degree they are right it is more important than if the team earns a win. It becomes difficult for ardent fans of the back-up quarterback or the next offensive coordinator, or the headcoach from a decade, 3 decades, or a century to be right about how their guy is better, was better, walks on better water when the current guy is always "Getting Lucky."

A couple of years ago I promised myself that 100+ 18- to 23-year-olds would not control whether or not I am happy or not. Overall this season has been the most fun that I've had in a long time as a Gopher football fan - Easy. This game was hard to take. It would make life a bit easier, but it would not change the difficulties of life. The fact is I have two new jobs that are great, but adjusting to those at the same time I am caring for a loved-one recovering from major surgery. The success up to today, I will not forget or let go. That has buoyed my Fall. I hope it continues.

Unfortunately the team failed to advance this week. I wish they would have played better - especially the offensive line early in the game - they make everybody look better or worse based on their play. If the basics of play is at high level consistently - the mistakes that occurred simply do not add up to a loss. Perhaps the situation in which the mistakes occur would not have even existed, I wish I knew.

For any who are indeed happy because of today's loss is proof that they are great college football scholars - congratulations.

The team needs a bye-week to get focused on the end of season games. Me, I would benefit from having 3-4 hours of time taking in a game. I would have likely been at the game today if it had been in Mpls. If game time proves to be nice for one of the final games, and I can I will be a walk-up if I can.

This game - no it did not make me happy. Most of the play frustrated me.

Two weeks - see you then.

Leidner made some really really bad decisions today. Santoso's missed field goal would have made a difference. And Cobb's fumble was bad too.

I am a "fan" of the Gophers, but if any of you "fans" are happy after this game, then you guys were probably happy with losing records.

Because it was untimed down and they would have taken a knee.

I'm an idiot.

Time to just close the computer and go cry in the corner for awhile. I usually try to stay positive no matter what but I'm really deflated right now.

I'm an idiot.

Time to just close the computer and go cry in the corner for awhile. I usually try to stay positive no matter what but I'm really deflated right now.

as are we all. I was supposed to head to a party and just don't want to go anymore, so instead sit in disgust at what I just witnessed.

All right, time to force myself to get dressed and go.

I'm an idiot.

Just mentally prepare yourself for 6-6 and anything else is just a bonus. It's what we've been doing for 40 years and we really shouldn't change that expectation after 1 8-4 season. It should be Dr. Don's next signature. "Expect 6-6 and you'll never get too high. Just keep drinking."

Everyone wins with this offer: Loser makes a $50 donation to a tax-qualified organization of the winner's choice.

You win IF: Minnesota improves on their regular season record of 8-4 from a year ago.

I win IF: Minnesota is unable to improve on their regular season record of a year ago.

Offer looked better for the JK-believers before today's game, but I'll keep it out there for now - PM if you're interested.

What a letdown. This was the first conference game in forever that I assumed the Gophers would win. I don't understand how a team that prides itself on running the ball can be that ineffective running the ball against Illinois. I also don't understand how a team that practices against read option run plays all the time, can struggle so badly to defend it.

Mitch's lack of awareness in the pocket is brutal, the sack he took before the Cobb fumble was inexcusable at any level of football. I am baffled as to why Cobb was even trying to get extra yardage on a clear give up play by the offense on 3rd and long. That said, the offense still had the ball and two chances to score against a bad Illinois team to save the game...and they didn't get it done.

This was a significant step back today, and the game in two weeks is now crucial for reasons other than what most were hoping for 24 hours ago.

Offer looked better for the JK-believers before today's game, but I'll keep it out there for now - PM if you're interested.

It was because:

0YZwp.gif

I'll offer you the same deal for Marquette's football team. $50 if they win eight games.

Top Bottom