Koi Perich Commits to Gophers!!!!!!!!!

Local kids choose to play for their hometown teams over helmet schools sometimes. Happens all over the country. Hell.....as someone else has already said.....the Gophers pulled Darius Taylor out of Michigan despite a Wolverines offer.

Your argument is bad and you should feel bad.
Yes we had him for 1 year.

Pay for play has always existed. To deny it is naive.

The old timer way was to get players off season "Construction jobs". Jobs that at best, they'd show up for maybe a couple of times a year.

Yes we had him for 1 year.
Lol you assume he is leaving? Do you guys do realize Perich already had a Michigan offer before committing here? It’s not like he had no offers, committed, and now all of a sudden has options.

To be fair - every recruit is a unique situation. Just because recruit X and his/her family wants a big NIL payday, that does not mean that recruit Z and his/her family feel the same way.

there are a lot of factors in choosing a school. I don't know anything about Perich other than seeing a few highlight clips online. I don't know what his interests are or what he values.

Is staying in-state a high priority, or making the most money? I don't know. and I suspect that the people on this board don't know, either.

despite the money angle, a big part of recruiting continues to hinge on the personal relationships built up between a recruit and the coaches who are recruiting him/her. as well as the way that recruit feels about the campus, its academic offerings, social life opportunities, etc.

in the end, if Perich wants to go to MN, he'll go to MN. If he wants to go somewhere else, he'll go somewhere else.

He appears to be a hot recruit. Hope that PJ can keep him. Although it is not likely he is an immediate difference maker, landing these kind of recruits really can have a positive effect on the public perception of the program.

Would it be wrong for a father, with a 4 or 5 star athlete son, leverage his son's final commitment, between schools, to get the best financial package possible?
It is 1000% percent against the rules to tie a commitment to a financial package. I that is the very definition of pay for play.

I mean we all know it happens, but it is absolutely against the rules of recruiting.

Not wrong if you can get away with it.
I just think parents should let their kids make their own choice when it comes to picking a college and money shouldn't be the deciding factor. If the kid asks their parent to broker a deal, then by all means go for it.

It’s no more “wrong” than people who leverage job offers from competing companies to get HR to approve a higher starting point or even band for the role they offer you.

That is standard practice today, and HR depts expect it.

Absolutely silly to suggest otherwise.

Lol you assume he is leaving? Do you guys do realize Perich already had a Michigan offer before committing here? It’s not like he had no offers, committed, and now all of a sudden has options.
How many are commitable offers though. You can be a plan B or C recruit that they offer but won’t accept your commitment until the plan A or B guys pass on their offer first

But in general, anything you can get away with is ok?
Life is not black and white. Such things are situational.

That said, in the world of college football and basketball, with 'rules' enforcement being lax and selective as they are, I have no issue with a complete lack of ethical behavior.

Last edited:

Life is not black and white. Such things are situational.

That said, in the world of college football and basketball, with 'rules' enforcement being lax and selective as they are, I have no issue with a complete lack of ethical behavior.
That doesn't mean they have to create new systems that promote even more unethical behavior and make the gap between the poor and rich even greater than it already is.

I think we can at least agree that the NCAA should clarify things. If they're not going to enforce anything, they should just make it so there are officially no rules. But as we know the NCAA has selective rule enforcement.

That’s literally not how NIL works.

What you’re describing is pay-for-play, when a school is involved it constitutes lack of institutional control. Schools that “bid” on players are cheating, and cheating big. Also, the evidence is overwhelming that these schools (who have demonstrated a willingness to cheat their asses off), not surprisingly, are not coming through with the money they promise. They are willing to say anything the athlete wants to hear to gain a commitment. They then threaten the athlete that they can’t do anything about not getting the deal they were promised because the “deal” was technically against the rules.

So going around shopping for the best “NIL deal” (which, by definition involves an NCAA violation) sort of just invites a bigger and bigger screw-job.
That’s not how it’s supposed to work, but in some instances, it’s how it works.

Would it be wrong for a father, with a 4 or 5 star athlete son, leverage his son's final commitment, between schools, to get the best financial package possible?
Are you related to Brittney Spears dad?

That doesn't mean they have to create new systems that promote even more unethical behavior and make the gap between the poor and rich even greater than it already is.

I think we can at least agree that the NCAA should clarify things. If they're not going to enforce anything, they should just make it so there are officially no rules. But as we know the NCAA has selective rule enforcement.
I think most of what they've 'enforced' in the past, if not already struck down, won't hold up in a future court case, and they know it. There's nothing to clarify if their rules aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Top Bottom