Danny B and KFAN ripping on GopherHole, names posters

Really? That's considered a good comeback? Wow. My 4th grade nephew can come up with better stuff than that. OMG you people need to get out more.

Nah, I just need to grow up.

Really? That's considered a good comeback? Wow. My 4th grade nephew can come up with better stuff than that. OMG you people need to get out more.

No, dude. That was legitimately funny. Anyone who is even moderately objective will admit you got housed by Ice.

LOL! This is hilarious. Most folks on this board say that KFAN sucks and they stopped listening a long time ago yet there continues to be new threads about it almost every day. Apparently the majority is still listening :D

To steal a line from Barreiro...."What a bunch of frauds..."

Art, someone needs to call you out on this.

Every one of your posts is the same. You just attribute something you read here (written by a single poster) to every poster on the board (or occasionally every Gopher fan). It doesn't work that way, son.

It's a forum. There isn't 100% agreement anything, and the board doesn't take a "position" on issues. And not every poster has quit listening to KFAN.

You obviously listen to KFAN all the time. We get it. Belive me, it's not surprising.

I'd be embarrassed if my Dad called some radio show like that.

Why? Because he defends the program that his son is a member of?

If that's what defines an embarassing parent, then God help us all!

Ex - KFAN listener

I used to listen to KFAN and get annoyed. What finally pushed me off for good was when I got selected by the ratings service to do a journal for a week or 10 days recording what stations I listened to throughout the day. I couldn't bring myself to give KFAN a shred of a ratings point and I didn't want to lie so I just completely quit listening to that station. I felt really good about turning in my journal without listing them once. I also noticed I really liked not getting annoyed while listening to the radio. They also paid me two dollars for my trouble! I highly recommend this choice for everyone. I'd do it again even without the two bucks!

Funny. Your nephew, huh? No children of your own, I'd wager. Tell us more on your thoughts on Neil Patrick Harris. Talk about needing to get out more.

I know people in the journalism community and they say it is well known that Danny B left the strib because he wouldn't check sources. He just wrote what he thought would get a rise out of people in hopes of becoming well known enough to get an offer from ESPN.

I haven't listened to him in 6 years. Suggest you do the same.

Baiting is the oldest trick in the book in talk radio and it's the worst form of radio I can think of. Bald Dan makes a living ticking people off. If you listen, you're enabling a pathetic man. Would you give a drug addict free reign of a pharmacy's inventory? No. You lock them out.

Don't listen to him and his opinions based on getting rating and not based on facts.

Danny B is ripping us right now and said that Common talked about us earlier as well (I didn't hear it). He specifically called out tikited, MRJ, Rodent Rampage, and tjgopher.

Hey Danny B, thanks for reading - at least you are admitting it now.

Go Gophers!!

Woohoo! We managed to get under their skins! Which doesn't take a whole lot, admittedly. And here I thought that I was fairly moderate - I didn't attack them personally, I just thought they knew little, didn't care to know anything, cherry pick in order to talk smack and don't care to provide informed and honest coverage.

Most recent Arbitron ratings for Nov 09, Dec 09, and Holidays. K-suck not exactly burning it up. I wish one of the other lower rated stations would change their format to sports talk so there is a legitimate other option in this town (i.e. so I could have a sports talk station to listen to).

Ranking Outlet Format NOV 09 DEC 09 HOL 09
1 WLTE-FM Soft Adult Contemporary 3.8 7.0 8.9
2 KQRS-FM Classic Rock 9.8 8.8 8.2
3 KDWB-FM Pop Contemporary Hit Radio 7.8 8.0 8.1
4 KQQL-FM Oldies 4.1 6.0 7.5
5t KEEY-FM Country 8.1 7.3 6.2
5t KSTP-FM Hot Adult Contemporary 7.6 6.7 6.2
7 WCCO-AM News Talk Information 6.6 5.8 5.9
8 KXXR-FM Active Rock 5.2 4.7 4.8
9 KTCZ-FM Album Adult Alternative 5.2 5.4 4.7
10 KNOW-FM News Talk Information 4.8 4.8 4.3
11t KTTB-FM Rhythmic Contemporary Hit Radio 3.6 3.7 3.8
11t KTIS-FM Contemporary Christian 3.7 3.5 3.8
13 KZJK-FM Adult Hits 4.1 4.3 3.7
14 KFAN-AM All Sports 3.9 3.5 3.6
15t WGVX-FM Oldies 2.8 2.8 2.7
15t KTLK-FM News Talk Information 3.7 3.5 2.7
17 KSJN-FM Classical 1.9 2.0 2.1
18t WFMP-FM Talk/Personality 1.8 1.6 1.6
18t KSTP-AM Talk/Personality 1.9 1.7 1.6
20 KCMP-FM Album Adult Alternative 1.6 1.5 1.3

The truth about KFAN and certainly Bald Dan is that they control the conversation on the station. Bald Dan wakes up in the morning with an idea of which segment of the population he can tick off today to drive up ratings (pathetic, I know) and then fields calls from the opposing view only to cut them off or hang up the line. Then Bald Dan can give his erroneous opinion in a controlled environment without the previous caller countering with facts regarding the topic at hand.

Think about that for a second...imagine you have an argument with your significant other and you can press the mute button at any time you please. That's power and if you're as jaded as Bald Dan, you thrive off of it. That's why baiting talk radio is the worst kind that exists. It's always one-sided and the on air personality really has to live in a warped existance to accept it as their occupation.

Nothing like humiliating yourself yelling and crying in retaliation against your target audience. What a whiny little bizzatch.

Time to move up the dial on the drive home boys & girls.

Would love to hear from Doogie on more radio executives we can pester about the need for a real sports station.

Most recent Arbitron ratings for Nov 09, Dec 09, and Holidays. K-suck not exactly burning it up. I wish one of the other lower rated stations would change their format to sports talk so there is a legitimate other option in this town (i.e. so I could have a sports talk station to listen to).

Ranking Outlet Format NOV 09 DEC 09 HOL 09
1 WLTE-FM Soft Adult Contemporary 3.8 7.0 8.9
2 KQRS-FM Classic Rock 9.8 8.8 8.2
3 KDWB-FM Pop Contemporary Hit Radio 7.8 8.0 8.1
4 KQQL-FM Oldies 4.1 6.0 7.5
5t KEEY-FM Country 8.1 7.3 6.2
5t KSTP-FM Hot Adult Contemporary 7.6 6.7 6.2
7 WCCO-AM News Talk Information 6.6 5.8 5.9
8 KXXR-FM Active Rock 5.2 4.7 4.8
9 KTCZ-FM Album Adult Alternative 5.2 5.4 4.7
10 KNOW-FM News Talk Information 4.8 4.8 4.3
11t KTTB-FM Rhythmic Contemporary Hit Radio 3.6 3.7 3.8
11t KTIS-FM Contemporary Christian 3.7 3.5 3.8
13 KZJK-FM Adult Hits 4.1 4.3 3.7
14 KFAN-AM All Sports 3.9 3.5 3.6
15t WGVX-FM Oldies 2.8 2.8 2.7
15t KTLK-FM News Talk Information 3.7 3.5 2.7
17 KSJN-FM Classical 1.9 2.0 2.1
18t WFMP-FM Talk/Personality 1.8 1.6 1.6
18t KSTP-AM Talk/Personality 1.9 1.7 1.6
20 KCMP-FM Album Adult Alternative 1.6 1.5 1.3
I bet KSTP could give them a run for their money if they went all sports. They've got a couple cynical turds (Souhan and Fatrick) but so does KFAN.

I was surprised to hear Royston's dad actually get some air time. I thought the last call would be another caller from Eau Claire, or he would cut him off before he could argue his point.

Who the heck was the sidekick today? Another 13-year old sounding intern to save money for Clear Channel or somebody's kid?

He didn't own anyone. Barreiro tried to act like people are upset because he doesn't talk Gophers. That is not true. He talks Gophers quite frequently. My issue is that when he does talk it is nothing but cheap shots. There's no honest discussion of the program that takes place. I could care less if he doesn't want to talk Gophers or even say negative things about the football program. But if you are going to talk Gophers, do it in a meaningful and fair way. That's why I quit listening, even though I tended to enjoy a lot of his non sports content.

I agree. I do listen to KFAN from time to time (rare because I am out of town often), but as soon as I hear mention of anything Gopher related, I turn the station because it is the same broken record every time - ill-thought, mean-spirited, vindictive, and completely juvenile comments. I travel all across the midwest and listen to stations in Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago, etc, etc. and no where have I found a station like KFAN. It really is unique, but I think it speaks to why these guys haven't gone anywhere. They have a niche in MN, but I don't think their attitudes and style would not play in many other cities anywhere else in the Midwest, and likely not in the entire country.

For example, I did hear Common's rant to today and also heard his producer. I think his producer is a bright guy and can be funny. However, he tries to be self-deprecating, but then two seconds later gives his opinion on gopher football which is that anybody who follows them is a complete idiot and that the Gophers "have never been relevant". It's comments like these that are just thrown out there w/o any basis to back it up. Granted, the moments have been fleeting, but people seemed pretty excited in '08 when they started 7-1. People were pretty excited when the Gophs beat Penn State in '99. People were excited going into the Michigan debacle at the Dome.

My hope is that when the Gophers do get to where we all want them to be, there is no one remotely associated with the program who will give KFAN the time of day. They don't have to publicly say they wont; just don't. Kind of like Ted Williams's response to the crowd when he hit a homerun in his last at bat - they loved him then, but seemed to have forgotten how they had treated him years prior when things weren't going well. He didn't say anything, didn't give them the finger, didn't spit on the ground, just kept his head down and went right to the dugout.

(has there ever been a Ted Williams reference in Brew's Forum? that might be the first - I know - and hopefully the last)

Barreiro's standard comment is "We dont need ya!" Well, I think Gopher fans have been getting along just fine w/o KFAN's support as well.

Maybe now that Dan is reading the site, he can have a GopherHole poster on to actually analyze the Gophers. When was the last time there was an informed take on the Gophers on that station? I listened to a brutal segment via podcast with PA and some Iowa alum "analyze" the Gophers basketball squad. The Iowa alum said he had "lost track" of Tubby's team while following the Vikings, but was watching again now...and this was enough to give his take on the only sports radio station in a fairly large market. I know it's really, really difficult to follow both the Vikings and the Gophers and have an informed opinion on both. I am sure there are only a FEW HUNDRED posters here who can do that and work another job.

When I was blogging over at a local newspaper Web site, Danny B (or Danny Downer) called me out, too. It was kinda cool, because I didn't expect it and I started to get some attention toward my blog. In fact, I didn't even know about it until an buddy emailed me about it. I don't listen to him. When is he on again and what station?

Seriously. If Danny Downer has to come to a Gophers fan Web site to get material for his show, how sad is that. I just think it's lazy. If he wants to alienate Gophers fans to get fodder, so be it. We're Gophers fans. We've dealt with a lot worse. Don't let some egocentric bully get you down.

I quote John Candy as Del Griffith in "Plains, Trains and Automobiles."

"You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you... but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like... I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. 'Cause I'm the real article. What you see is what you get."​

By the way, Michelle Tofoya is way better to listen. And if Danny Downer wants to read this post on the air, I wonder if he'll mention that.

The good news for some is that if you are more than about 7 miles away from the 494/694 loop, KFAN gets overlapped by 42 other stations on the same frequency. Half the people in the state live outside the metro area, so those lucky b@st@rds are out of range.

No, dude. That was legitimately funny. Anyone who is even moderately objective will admit you got housed by Ice.

Housed by Iceland? Really. I don't know who my Dad is? That doesn't even make sense. What is that supposed to mean? Is that supposed to insinuate that my father is a dead beat that left my Mom when I was a kid? Is it supposed to mean I'm adopted? I don't get it.

Arty - you left the most likely possibility out...no one would claim you as theirs.

I must be doing something wrong if Danny B did not mention me. I guess I'll have to kick it up a notch to piss him off. It should be each of our goals to get mentioned on KFAN by those yatches. Congratulations guys! Maybe if you ever call in give your moniker as your name.

Housed by Iceland? Really. I don't know who my Dad is? That doesn't even make sense. What is that supposed to mean? Is that supposed to insinuate that my father is a dead beat that left my Mom when I was a kid? Is it supposed to mean I'm adopted? I don't get it.

Sorry. Figured you were found here.

My bad.

When was the last time there was an informed take on the Gophers on that station?

Justin Conzemius and Jack Brewer. Fair analysis - you bet they're informed and care.

That's all I want is for people to care. The coverage is negative - I get it. The team is bad. But the hosts have no care for the program. No knowledge. They have to try to get guests or else they couldn't talk about the Gophers for more than a minute. As Chris Royston said, at least rip the program with knowledge.

What an extremely fair and appropriate thing for a person to say, let alone a parent of a player on the team. The media in this town could take a page from Mr. Royston about due diligence in doing their job to know MN sports. It's not an all sports station - again I get it. But that doesn't give them a pass in ignoring sports teams.

Most of the topics they bring up are points brought or news created by the beat writers of the team. No original takes or thoughts on their own. Sloppy, sloppy, IMO.

Top Bottom