Reggie Lynch In Jail ... UPDATE: Released without charges

There must be a time limit starting after he was arrested during which he must be charged or released without charges.

He already was released. But, I thought I heard that the case stays open for 90 days while they further investigate. With charges like that, I don't think there is a statute of limitations but the case gets harder to prove by the day as the credibility of witness accounts gets worse I would assume.

I would imagine if Lynch isn't charged by the fall he will be reinstated to the program. I don't think 90 days is set in stone

I would imagine if Lynch isn't charged by the fall he will be reinstated to the program. I don't think 90 days is set in stone

Man, I don't know about that? This just reeks of bad news for Lynch no matter what.

There must be a time limit starting after he was arrested during which he must be charged or released without charges.
As previously stated he has already been released without charges. A quick Google search shows the statute of limitations for rape in Minnesota to be 3, 6, or 9 years depending on the details of the case and evidence found.

The suspension could drag on, however, with the U unwilling to reinstate him just in case charges are filed in the future. I would hope he'd be back by fall (sans charges), but even that keeps him away from the team all summer.

Doogie said today that if no charges are filed Lynch will play for the Gophers this season. (Don't shoot the messenger)

So the U Police are investigating. They must have all the statements they can get at this time. I assume they are waiting on some lab results? Not sure. How long do you think this will take?

So the U Police are investigating. They must have all the statements they can get at this time. I assume they are waiting on some lab results? Not sure. How long do you think this will take?

It really depends, but it's usually about a week or two (for the basic tests).

That said, I don't know if they will have a big impact. It depends on the nature of the alleged crime. I would guess (100% a guess based on it being a college scenario), I would guess this isn't a case where the question is "who done it?" It's more than likely a question of consensual vs. non-consensual. There are certainly physical signs that make things seem less consensual, etc., but that stuff isn't really part of a SAK, it's more of a report by the physician.

My guess (purely a guess) is Lynch is saying that they did hook up but it was consensual.

If charges aren't filed in 90 days, they likely won't be. They COULD reopen the case and bring charges as long as it's within the statute of limitations (new evidence shows up), but the police will probably close their investigation within 90 days.

Let's post the guys name in that case before charges as well.

And then get a news agency to post that name with the picture of a completely different person that people will recognize.

And then get a news agency to post that name with the picture of a completely different person that people will recognize.

Come on now--it's not like it was a legitimate news outlet--just ESPN.

Huh? Not being charged and released reeks of bad news? Not following.

Fair chance he's innocent IMO.

It seems to be going in a positive direction. I have been trained to expect the hammer will soon follow.

Any more info on Reggie?

No news is good news...
I'm fairly certain he won't be charged. If you can't prove rape happened within the first few days, I don't see what further evidence the University Police can find to charge him.

I dont really know what to think. As a father of a HS aged daughter this makes me sick to my stomach. If he is charged he should be dismissed and the gophers can look for another player. my guess is this will linger far into the summer and we will go with one less player on scholarship.
Then part of me hopes he is cleared and was accused falsely.

My guess is that he'll never be charged but the suspension will linger and the new AD will be faced with needing to decide on whether to reinstate him without any definitive change in the legal position.

I don't think there is enough publicly available information for anyone to speculate meaningfully. If the issue, though, is one of consent, a decision not to charge him criminally isn't necessarily going to be an end of the matter. There is still the potential for discipline under the U's "Yes, means yes" policy. A criminal charge requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt. When the issue is consent, "Yes, means yes", in effect, shifts the burden of proof to the accused.

Isn't this actually the best-case scenario for everyone involved, including the accuser?

Yes you may be right I don't think any of us know enough about any of the facts.

I dont really know what to think. As a father of a HS aged daughter this makes me sick to my stomach. If he is charged he should be dismissed and the gophers can look for another player. my guess is this will linger far into the summer and we will go with one less player on scholarship.
Then part of me hopes he is cleared and was accused falsely.
Ok, as a former social worker, and as the mother of two 20-something sons, I am concerned that this whole thing has been public. You might notice that there was an article this week about a male who worked with teenage girls in a psychiatric facility who was accused of sexual contact. This person has been fired, county thinks it happened, law says inconclusive & no evidence and I noted the article said his name was not revealed because no charges were filed. This appropriate.

While I have been in a field where people work hard rightfully to protect vulnerable people, I have also seen a lot of false reports. It is not reasonable to speculate what happened here and useless to hope for a specific outcome; however, that we are in position to do so is terrible. Will his name ever be fully cleared? He might never be charged, but people (possibly here) will continue to speculate on if he is really guilty or not.

Ok, as a former social worker, and as the mother of two 20-something sons, I am concerned that this whole thing has been public. You might notice that there was an article this week about a male who worked with teenage girls in a psychiatric facility who was accused of sexual contact. This person has been fired, county thinks it happened, law says inconclusive & no evidence and I noted the article said his name was not revealed because no charges were filed. This appropriate.

While I have been in a field where people work hard rightfully to protect vulnerable people, I have also seen a lot of false reports. It is not reasonable to speculate what happened here and useless to hope for a specific outcome; however, that we are in position to do so is terrible. Will his name ever be fully cleared? He might never be charged, but people (possibly here) will continue to speculate on if he is really guilty or not.

And is not only him that suffers if it is false. The board of regents and "big time boosters that can't afford a seat license" are calling for the coach's head.

The big difference in these two cases is Reggie is involved in a situation with another adult over the age of consent. The guy at the facility is in a position of power over under-age girls. There is a huge difference there.

The big difference in these two cases is Reggie is involved in a situation with another adult over the age of consent. The guy at the facility is in a position of power over under-age girls. There is a huge difference there.

I believe that her whole point is not the comparison of what they might have done but rather that in the one situation, names were kept out of it because it was not proven and in this situation Lynch is forever tarnished whether he is guilty or not - because the names were released.

I believe that her whole point is not the comparison of what they might have done but rather that in the one situation, names were kept out of it because it was not proven and in this situation Lynch is forever tarnished whether he is guilty or not - because the names were released.

Reggie is a high profile college basketball player and the other is some schmo who works in a Psychiatric hospital. He could be an orderly or a janitor for all we know. When a 7 foot tall man gets arrested it I going to get out and the Twin Cities media is going to run with it cause trashing sports players sells papers and gets ratings. Writing about some unknown who got fired without due process is not worth the A section of the paper.

PS: I don't believe Reggie's accusers name has been divulged. She could be a disheveled lying sorority girl pissed cause Reggie ducked out early instead of spooning in the morning. Then again, Reggie may be at fault. These things are so freaking hard to judge it seems as though the parties involved barely know what really happened.

Top Bottom