Reggie Lynch In Jail ... UPDATE: Released without charges

Oh man. Per Amelia-

Hennepin County has deferred a charging decision on Lynch pending further investigation.

Per Amelia:

Hennepin County has deferred a charging decision on Lynch pending further investigation.

Not the end of it?

Also per Amelia-

Lynch was released at noon following the 36 hour hold expiration.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Strictly basketball speaking, this isn't great news.

Wrapping this up one way or another would have been extremely helpful. Now the indefinite suspension likely stands as the U waits in this weird limbo.

Go Gophers!!

Ok, legal people. Tell us what this means and possible permutations in how it could play out. Does this mean they didn't get the work done or does it mean they need more evidence to charge him? A little speculation (from people who know the law) would be helpful on a rainy day.

Not realistic for it to be wrapped up in 36 hrs. Clearly its not a cut and dry case.

This pretty much means it'll be like Mbakwe's case? It'll always be lingering there, until there are official charges or perhaps eventually some kind of plea agreement?

This has the sounds of something that'll be hanging out with the Gopher program for quite some time. There's that perpetual cloud we've grown accustomed to.

Per Amelia:

Not the end of it?
Translation they're cutting him loose because they don't have enough to charge him now. I think this was the best news he could've hoped for at this point. not out of the woods yet obviously, I am guessing Lynch will be suspended, but for now I think they'll let it play out before dismissing him

Not realistic for it to be wrapped up in 36 hrs. Clearly its not a cut and dry case.

Definitely. But if he is charged you can likely kick him off the team and move on basketball wise. Same as if they say no charges are coming you can suspend him for awhile or something and bring him back.

With the current state, you almost have to wait for any further action and it will hang over the team and in the press until then.

per STrib:

At noon Tuesday, the 36-hour holding period expired, but investigators could still pursue a case against Lynch and charge him at a later date. In a deferral, the county attorney sends the case back to the investigating agency for additional work. There is no hard deadline to be finished, but it is generally no longer than 90 days. Deferrals are issued whenever the gathering of statements and evidence cannot be completed before the 36-hour detention period expires.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...rom-jail-investigation-to-continue/378829831/

Go Gophers!!

Whatever happened to Kendrick Nunn at Illinois?

Go Gophers!!

In this case, the investigating agency is the U of M police. According to Fox9:
MINNEAPOLIS (KMSP) - The Hennepin County Attorney’s Office has deferred a charging decision in the case of University of Minnesota basketball player Reggie Lynch, who is accused of sexual assault. Lynch, 21, was released from the Hennepin County Jail at noon Tuesday.

In a deferral, the county attorney sends the case back to the investigating agency for additional work -- in this case, the University of Minnesota Police Department. There is no hard deadline for the completion of a follow-up investigation, but it is generally no longer than 90 days.

In this case, the investigating agency is the U of M police. According to Fox9:

Hopefully they've gotten more efficient since the case of Royce White and the missing laptop...

Hopefully they've gotten more efficient since the case of Royce White and the missing laptop...

I don't think that was lack of efficiency. It was the police using his suspension as a means to get him to admit what he did.

I don't think that was lack of efficiency. It was the police using his suspension as a means to get him to admit what he did.

Yes. Royce was a head case but that was one time the AD should have called their bluff and said 'charge him with something by Saturday or he's playing'. Obviously this is far more serious and they have no choice but to kick him off the team or wait.

Pretty sure there was an article after the fact where the officer said Royce was never a suspect in the laptop case, but rather they had footage of someone else taking it who was seen with Royce at another time during that night. They allegedly asked Royce to tell them who he was, but he wouldn't cooperate.

Strictly basketball speaking, this isn't great news. Wrapping this up one way or another would have been extremely helpful. Now the indefinite suspension likely stands as the U waits in this weird limbo.

That's a fair point.

Ok, legal people. Tell us what this means and possible permutations in how it could play out. Does this mean they didn't get the work done or does it mean they need more evidence to charge him? A little speculation (from people who know the law) would be helpful on a rainy day.

I am guessing they didn't get very good cooperation from the victim or the rapekit didn't provide any solid physical evidence.
I haven't read the police report, (super annoying that they don't post a link to that as part of the story) but it appears that there were 4 witnesses interviewed. This likely will boil down to a he said she said deal- where there is witness testimony of them being all over each other and some about how she was upset after the fact.

Given it is a higher profile case, they probably want to be really sure they've got a case beyond a reasonable doubt. Cops usually don't care about that stuff. Could be a deal where kid's future is put in serious peril because of over zealous campus cops- but in all likelihood, it's **** case and the county attorney wants it to go away or get better in a hurry.

The 90 day deferral thing isn't a rule. That's just a guess/average.

I am guessing they didn't get very good cooperation from the victim or the rapekit didn't provide any solid physical evidence.
I haven't read the police report, (super annoying that they don't post a link to that as part of the story) but it appears that there were 4 witnesses interviewed. This likely will boil down to a he said she said deal- where there is witness testimony of them being all over each other and some about how she was upset after the fact.

Given it is a higher profile case, they probably want to be really sure they've got a case beyond a reasonable doubt. Cops usually don't care about that stuff. Could be a deal where kid's future is put in serious peril because of over zealous campus cops- but in all likelihood, it's **** case and the county attorney wants it to go away or get better in a hurry.

The 90 day deferral thing isn't a rule. That's just a guess/average.
Maybe they disagreed whether or not the Affirmative Consent form required notarized signatures?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Go Gophers!!

Another positive role models character assassinated,guilty til proven innocent as usual

Another positive role models character assassinated,guilty til proven innocent as usual

"Innocent until proven guilty" doesn't apply to the court of public opinion. But you already knew that.

Regardless of whether he is guilty or not, he's a complete idiot for even putting himself in position to be suspected.

"Innocent until proven guilty" doesn't apply to the court of public opinion. But you already knew that.

Regardless of whether he is guilty or not, he's a complete idiot for even putting himself in position to be suspected.

Not necessarily. Maybe you know more than me about what happened and he actually did something stupid, but there are plenty of potential scenarios that wouldn't make him an idiot. It isn't a given that he did something to make himself look guilty.

Top Bottom