Reggie Lynch In Jail ... UPDATE: Released without charges

Anything new on this?

So the cops don't have to make any progress with bringing charges and he will continue to stay suspended. If it stays this way all summer, it's tough to envision him being reinstated. It would buck the PC trend but, from a fans perspective, it would be cool if the AD was proactive and said he would be reinstated if charges are not brought by a certain date.

So the cops don't have to make any progress with bringing charges and he will continue to stay suspended. If it stays this way all summer, it's tough to envision him being reinstated. It would buck the PC trend but, from a fans perspective, it would be cool if the AD was proactive and said he would be reinstated if charges are not brought by a certain date.

I don't think it would be cool at all if our AD inserted himself in this prior to a decision one way or another. If Lynch isn't charged, he'll likely be back on the team. If he is charged, I imagine we'll disassociate ourselves from him quickly.

Go Gophers!!

It may be cool, but Coyle is smart enough to know he'd be crucified for even trying to propose that

It may be cool, but Coyle is smart enough to know he'd be crucified for even trying to propose that
Depends how he did it, by the fall it'll be a few months, that's plenty of time to investigate, if the campus PD going to just sit on this and let it go cold, it's not fair to the victim or the accused, if it's a charge him or I am reinstating him type of convo, there's nothing wrong with that, he wouldn't be telling them to drop the case necessary, there's a point where the school, the basketball program, Lynch and the victim need to forward with some sort of resolution. I would also bet that if there aren't charges Pitino wants Lynch back, otherwise he would've already been dismissed. I think Lofton and Morris were dismissed for less

Depends how he did it, by the fall it'll be a few months, that's plenty of time to investigate, if the campus PD going to just sit on this and let it go cold, it's not fair to the victim or the accused, if it's a charge him or I am reinstating him type of convo, there's nothing wrong with that, he wouldn't be telling them to drop the case necessary, there's a point where the school, the basketball program, Lynch and the victim need to forward with some sort of resolution. I would also bet that if there aren't charges Pitino wants Lynch back, otherwise he would've already been dismissed. I think Lofton and Morris were dismissed for less

I'm not saying I would disagree with that tactic but the PC police, which there are plenty of in MN, would rip him apart for doing that because it would be "insensitive to the victim" (or something of that nature) to not let the full process play out. Not weighing in on what I'd say is right or wrong, just how I'd see that playing out

I don't think it would be cool at all if our AD inserted himself in this prior to a decision one way or another. If Lynch isn't charged, he'll likely be back on the team. If he is charged, I imagine we'll disassociate ourselves from him quickly.

Go Gophers!!

At some point he has to. It seems there are only a few definitive ways for this to end: 1. He's charged. 2. The women recants. 3. Someone else is charged with the crime. 4. The statute of limitations runs out.

The most likely outcomes are 1 and 4. So if he's not charged, chances are there will never be any update to this case by the police. They're probably not going to come out and say the investigation is closed. It will just become a cold case.

You can't just leave Reggie suspended indefinitely in that case. It's unreasonable and unfair. I would say if he's not charged by mid-August, they owe it to him to either reinstate him or grant him his release to go elsewhere. The odds of him being charged after 90 days have passed are rather low. It would not be unreasonable for the AD to reinstate him pending any change in the case. But we all know that's unlikely. So they may as well let him go elsewhere.

I'm not saying I would disagree with that tactic but the PC police, which there are plenty of in MN, would rip him apart for doing that because it would be "insensitive to the victim" (or something of that nature) to not let the full process play out. Not weighing in on what I'd say is right or wrong, just how I'd see that playing out
I agree with what you're saying, but the thing about great leaders is they don't give a **** what others think, they do what they believe is right and what the best interest in the people they are leading. I am sure Coyle can handle being ripped, I am sure he got ripped in the Syracuse press, for leaving and I am sure there was some decision he made there or at Boise that ruffled some feathers, no matter how the J Rob story plays out there will be angry people, part of being in that chair. The PC folks in the media, like anyone else with an agenda play off emotion, people who look at things with common sense will understand. PC folks at the end of the guy are a very loud and vocal minority, silent majority will understand.

At some point he has to. It seems there are only a few definitive ways for this to end: 1. He's charged. 2. The women recants. 3. Someone else is charged with the crime. 4. The statute of limitations runs out.

The most likely outcomes are 1 and 4. So if he's not charged, chances are there will never be any update to this case by the police. They're probably not going to come out and say the investigation is closed. It will just become a cold case.

You can't just leave Reggie suspended indefinitely in that case. It's unreasonable and unfair. I would say if he's not charged by mid-August, they owe it to him to either reinstate him or grant him his release to go elsewhere. The odds of him being charged after 90 days have passed are rather low. It would not be unreasonable for the AD to reinstate him pending any change in the case. But we all know that's unlikely. So they may as well let him go elsewhere.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the statute of limitations for rape is something a long the lines for five years. A decision will have to be made on Lynch one way or the other

Yah, the statute of limitations is years. The police should be called out to make a decision quickly since they hold all the cards but the DA would have to be sympathetic to Reggie and the accusers lifes and get them to move out. I was never under the impression campus police did anything fast.

Without having literally any inkling of an idea about what happened between Reggie and the woman involved, that a number of you think that he is being totally mistreated because he can't practice basketball, and that it is some sort of "PC Police" thing that is keeping this case the way it is, is really revolting.

Without having literally any inkling of an idea about what happened between Reggie and the woman involved, that a number of you think that he is being totally mistreated because he can't practice basketball, and that it is some sort of "PC Police" thing that is keeping this case the way it is, is really revolting.

Where did you pull this crap from? Many people are saying that if a few months down the road.....nothing has been done.....then he should be reinstated. Nobody has stated that he shouldn't be suspended right now.

I am almost certain the police would announce if the investigation is on-going or closed. That's standard.

There are a lot of parties (basketball aside) who would want to know the status of the case.

If he is not charged and the investigation is closed. . . I'd guess he will play.

Who has said he is being mistreated at this point?

what's really revolting is you making things up to drive an agenda. that's revolting. no one is saying what you said, let alone "a number of you" - dude, get over yourself.

I agree. I don't think it is a good look for an AD to get involved in the legal process. At least not right away. Especially if it looks like he is giving an ultimatum like "Charge him by X date or I'm reinstating him." Way smarter to let it play out without even an appearance of impropriety. Around mid-August before the fall semester begins it would be reasonable for Coyle to at least privately meet with police to get a sense of where they are in the investigation if no conclusions have been made public by then. If they have found nothing further that could lead to a charge then just reinstate him. No ultimatum or lengthy public statement necessary.

For now, I think he's better off not drawing more attention to the matter which would only lead to further speculation and headlines. Let the spring Gopher sports (which have been quite successful) get some attention right now. Reggie was not charged with a crime so no news is good news for Gopher basketball in my mind.

I wouldn't say most of us think he is being mistreated yet. At this point both Reggie and his accuser deserve the benefit of the doubt from us. None of us know what exactly happened between them that night, because none of us were there. By suspending Reggie from the team the university is treating both of them fairly based on the current status of the investigation.

It isn't as much of a PC thing as it is a CYA thing. The university needs to let it play out for a reasonable amount of time to let the investigators/lawyers decide if the evidence merits charges. If they don't then they have egg on their face if they re-instate him and charges are brought in the future. But they can also easily re-instate him if no charges are brought in a reasonable amount of time. At this point I believe the U has handled it very well.

I agree. I don't think it is a good look for an AD to get involved in the legal process. At least not right away. Especially if it looks like he is giving an ultimatum like "Charge him by X date or I'm reinstating him." Way smarter to let it play out without even an appearance of impropriety. Around mid-August before the fall semester begins it would be reasonable for Coyle to at least privately meet with police to get a sense of where they are in the investigation if no conclusions have been made public by then. If they have found nothing further that could lead to a charge then just reinstate him. No ultimatum or lengthy public statement necessary.

For now, I think he's better off not drawing more attention to the matter which would only lead to further speculation and headlines. Let the spring Gopher sports (which have been quite successful) get some attention right now. Reggie was not charged with a crime so no news is good news for Gopher basketball in my mind.

Not really any need to meet with the police. You think any boss can call the police up on an ongoing investigation? If nothing has changed by mid august a simple reinstatement with a notice saying something like "Reggie lynch has been reinstated baring any unknown information or changes in the status of the investigation." if they end up charging him it would be a change of the case. If not then he gets to play. (pretty sure someone referenced that the UMN police attempted to use former MBB players indefinite suspensions to get them to confess to other incidents(ethics much if true?))

The best situation for everyone is if this thing (whatever he was put in jail for) actually didn't happen. Painful for Reggie but best for the woman and for Reggie if it was all made up as opposed to actually happened. (I'm not passing judgement nor stating what I think happened as I have no idea.)

Not really any need to meet with the police. You think any boss can call the police up on an ongoing investigation? If nothing has changed by mid august a simple reinstatement with a notice saying something like "Reggie lynch has been reinstated baring any unknown information or changes in the status of the investigation." if they end up charging him it would be a change of the case. If not then he gets to play. (pretty sure someone referenced that the UMN police attempted to use former MBB players indefinite suspensions to get them to confess to other incidents(ethics much if true?))

The best situation for everyone is if this thing (whatever he was put in jail for) actually didn't happen. Painful for Reggie but best for the woman and for Reggie if it was all made up as opposed to actually happened. (I'm not passing judgement nor stating what I think happened as I have no idea.)

Yea I see what you are saying. I realize that just because he's the boss doesn't mean he is entitled to answers. Still don't think it hurts for him to ask the question. I just think a phone call from Coyle to ask if there are any updates before he re-instates him (if we get to that point) would would be a smart move. Kind of along the CYA thinking...just so he can say he asked for an update. The police/DA certainly might say that they can't give him any info and the investigation is ongoing, but just checking in with them wouldn't be a dumb move.

(I'm not passing judgement nor stating what I think happened as I have no idea.)

Free Reggie! (or throw him in the slammer)... I want to think this is BS, but like you, not a clue either way.

The longer it goes without him being charged the less likely he will be charged. It is curious it is taking so long.It does not seem complicated. Either they believe him or her.
In the meantime the U is doing the right thing and waiting it out.
The U's reputation is far more important than Lynch being able to practice with the team.

The longer it goes without him being charged the less likely he will be charged. It is curious it is taking so long.It does not seem complicated. Either they believe him or her.
In the meantime the U is doing the right thing and waiting it out.
The U's reputation is far more important than Lynch being able to practice with the team.

Well, right now the U has the reputation as being the creepy guy at the park.

If this was the only instance of a Gopher men's BB player being involved in (possibly) questionable behavior, then I could see him being reinstated while the investigation is pending.

But - this is following on the heels of Daquan McNeil involved in a domestic violence situation, the threesome video, and other problems for the Men's BB program. I think that makes it less likely that Lynch is reinstated - UNLESS the police announce an end to the investigation, or announce that no charges will be filed. Given the problems surrounding the program, I just don't see the U going out on a limb for a player who is, at the very least, under investigation for a possible sexual assault.

No one is saying that. But you can't leave him in indefinite limbo 'pending resolution' of a situation that may not have any resolution for 5 years.

I am almost certain the police would announce if the investigation is on-going or closed. That's standard.

There are a lot of parties (basketball aside) who would want to know the status of the case.

If he is not charged and the investigation is closed. . . I'd guess he will play.

If he's been accused but they don't have evidence to charge him, why would they close it? They might announce that it's no longer an active investigation, but I doubt they will close it, especially since it's high profile. Maybe that's a distinction without a difference, but it seems like it would matter in this case.

This is what should happen, although there's no way the local media will let it go by without a public statement. This isn't Madison, WI.

The U has to be sensitive and take it slowly. There is no real reason to push it and reinstate him know. As it gets closer to the season, he will be reinstated if no charges are pending. If he is charged, he is gone. No PC involved. I understand why the one poster went off on the assumption of PC having an impact in the status of Reggie. Blaming PC for issues is typically a scapegoat done out of ignorance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

per STrib:

The University of Minnesota Police’s investigation following Reggie Lynch’s arrest on suspicion of rape earlier this month continues with no indication of an end date, the Gophers player’s attorney told the Star Tribune on Friday.

Lynch, a 6-9 center who played for Edina High School and transferred to the Gophers after two seasons at Illinois State, was taken into custody on May 8 after an alleged incident that ended early that morning. Lynch was never charged and was released two days later.

Since then, nearly three weeks ago, the investigation has remained ongoing.

Attorney David Valentini – who has represented several other high-profile local athletes – said the UMPD contacted him last week to inform him that the investigators were still probing. He said the defense still has not been given any details as to what the officials are looking into or who they are interviewing.

Asked how long he expects the investigation to stretch, Valentini replied, “No idea.”

http://www.startribune.com/lynch-investigation-continues-attorney-says/381174701/

Go Gophers!!

According to this Strib article posted by Bleed 10 days ago!!, the UMPD are doing some probing in regards to this case; and might even be poking and moseying around a little bit. Not that I have anything against probing - in fact I was probing the other night and having a great time doing it - but one might suggest that the UMPD try pre-probing before swooping in, shackling and arresting the kid, only to release him uncharged. Apparently the investigative interviews continue. The student population is near 50,000...this may take awhile.

If he's been accused but they don't have evidence to charge him, why would they close it? They might announce that it's no longer an active investigation, but I doubt they will close it, especially since it's high profile. Maybe that's a distinction without a difference, but it seems like it would matter in this case.

"Closing" an investigation is just lay speak for them not actively pursuing any of their current evidence. It isn't a closed case, it's like you said, no longer an active investigation.

The police will usually let people know that's the case. In this situation, the University would want to know, the neighborhood would want to know, Reggie and the victim would want to know, etc.

We are talking about the same thing. The police will let it be known to the public if it is an active investigation or not.

My guess is that if he's not charged and there is not an active investigation, he will rejoin the team.

Top Bottom