Zion Williamon's former agent alleges he received impermissible benefits

So you are saying that giving players and their families money and make work jobs does not happen at Duke and their "elite" reputation is all that it takes for K to get whatever recruits he wants?
The Duke elite brand was initially academics but a crop of one and does who barely attend class has done nothing to foster Duke's academic standing.
Williamson will have to give a deposition under oath and answer the questions the plaintiff's attorney asks him. Williamson's family might be deposed also. That testimony is a public record.
Self, Miller and the LSU coach do not project the aura of purity K does. It is the hypocrisy that grates.
And it is unfair that schools that do not cheat a actually graduate BB players are made to compete with schools that cheat. It is not just.
This is one of many reasons I am delighted the NBA G league is now reducing the number of one and dones.
Did not say that Duke has followed the rules with regards to benefits at, read the posts. It is not just or fair and that is why i cheer for schools that play it clean and some of those even win titles. Life is not fair and would be better if it was just but in our family we were taught to represent ourselves in a just way by not cheating. by not making excuses and winning anyway.

Did not say that Duke has followed the rules with regards to benefits at, read the posts. It is not just or fair and that is why i cheer for schools that play it clean and some of those even win titles. Life is not fair and would be better if it was just but in our family we were taught to represent ourselves in a just way by not cheating. by not making excuses and winning anyway.
Fraud. You made excuses for UVA a week or so ago. Players out.

FRAUD.

If I had to guess, I would say Duke will use the "I didn't know" defense.

"I didn't know that the shoe companies and shady characters were offering money and gifts to recruits. I thought all these players came to Duke because we're a great school."

And then the trick becomes proving it beyond a reasonable doubt. part of the problem in these deals is that most of the witnesses - at least the ones willing to go on record - are usually fairly shady characters in their own right, which gives lawyers the room to challenge their testimony.

"witness X admits to cheating and breaking NCAA rules. I submit that you cannot believe anything he says because he has no credibility."

call me cynical, but I just don't think that the NCAA will ever bring the hammer down on the marquee teams. to quote Jerry Tarkanian - "The NCAA was so upset at the allegations against Kentucky that they put Cleveland State on probation."

My guess is that Duke will have plausible deniability and will skate. If the NCAA didn't penalize UNC for phony classes, it's not going to penalize Duke for this little thing. Coach K is as dirty as any of the dirtiest scoundrels in the business but there is too much downside for the NCAA to catch and pan fry him.

My guess is that Duke will have plausible deniability and will skate. If the NCAA didn't penalize UNC for phony classes, it's not going to penalize Duke for this little thing. Coach K is as dirty as any of the dirtiest scoundrels in the business but there is too much downside for the NCAA to catch and pan fry him.

Yes, they won't do anything to them.

And those that think this is a new thing with Duke and one and done's, etc. I'm certain Christian Laetner was paid a pile to play there among many others. This isn't new.

Yes, they won't do anything to them.

And those that think this is a new thing with Duke and one and done's, etc. I'm certain Christian Laetner was paid a pile to play there among many others. This isn't new.
I think he went dark side starting on the Sheldon Williams class. Right after the Hansburough sweep. Also think a booster went wild on Magatte .

Coach K has always looked a little Sandusky like to me. I don't know why. He just looks a little creepy.

What’s is sad is the hypocrisy. On the football board people are suggesting that the P5 should pull out of the NCAA because the NCAA is too hard on the larger schools. In reality, the NCAA should be throwing the Basketbsll book at UNC, Kansas, Arizona, and Duke (if true). The NCAA makes bold moves against smaller profile schools without blinking an eye and tiptoes around these bluebloods, perpetuating the problem. Set an example NCAA!

That tool Avenatti is loving this.

And seriously, you pompous, Coach K.......................................

I just despise that fake program.

What’s is sad is the hypocrisy. On the football board people are suggesting that the P5 should pull out of the NCAA because the NCAA is too hard on the larger schools. In reality, the NCAA should be throwing the Basketbsll book at UNC, Kansas, Arizona, and Duke (if true). The NCAA makes bold moves against smaller profile schools without blinking an eye and tiptoes around these bluebloods, perpetuating the problem. Set an example NCAA!
Because they know at the end of the day ... the NCAA doesn't actually add value. Their value is solely derived from the continue participation of the major brands.

Because they know at the end of the day ... the NCAA doesn't actually add value. Their value is solely derived from the continue participation of the major brands.
The NCAA establishes the rules by which teams compete. Try pulling out of the NCAA, and watch what happens. Everyone would be at odds with every other school, it would be chaos.

What’s is sad is the hypocrisy. On the football board people are suggesting that the P5 should pull out of the NCAA because the NCAA is too hard on the larger schools.
Where, I haven't seen that. Got a link or two?

The NCAA establishes the rules by which teams compete. Try pulling out of the NCAA, and watch what happens. Everyone would be at odds with every other school, it would be chaos.
At a minimum, the Big Ten could establish rules for each school to follow and play conference games. Nothing wrong with that idea at all.

Judge ruled Zion must answer questions about illegal payments.

However, I think Zion's peeps have already filed an appeal, trying to avoid having Zion take the stand. I suspect this will drag out for a while.

Really looking forward to watching him take the stand. Will be interesting to see the strategies his legal team uses to deflect questions about impermissible benefits. If he actually admits to receiving $$ I will be shocked and giddy
Not a good look for Zion. Wonder how having to take the stand to ask questions about taking bribes will have an impact on the $50M uptick in his marketing value Built claims he got by playing at Duke? "Wear the shoes that cheaters wear" just doesn't work as good as "Air Jordan" :unsure:

Not a good look for Zion. Wonder how having to take the stand to ask questions about taking bribes will have an impact on the $50M uptick in his marketing value Built claims he got by playing at Duke? "Wear the shoes that cheaters wear" just doesn't work as good as "Air Jordan" :unsure:
Really don't think NBA fans care what the player did in college most would probably say he should have gone straight out of high school. I suppose his sponsors may have a different idea but I can't see it actually affecting his Pro popularity. Everyone got over Reggie Bush real quick

Really don't think NBA fans care what the player did in college most would probably say he should have gone straight out of high school. I suppose his sponsors may have a different idea but I can't see it actually affecting his Pro popularity. Everyone got over Reggie Bush real quick
Fans may not really care, but I think 45 was taking about sponsor that pay for him to push their products. It would greatly reduce his market value for endorsements.

The NCAA is the major brands

People act like the ncaa is some separate entity.

The schools are the ncaa
The ncaa are the schools

However, I think Zion's peeps have already filed an appeal, trying to avoid having Zion take the stand. I suspect this will drag out for a while.

It is so fundemental to the case though, it seems he has two options, settle or testify before all is said and done.

Ever notice how pedephiles on tv are always portrayed by balding or bald men? As a bald man I hate that.

Coach K has always looked a little Sandusky like to me. I don't know why. He just looks a little creepy.

The NCAA is the major brands

People act like the ncaa is some separate entity.

The schools are the ncaa
The ncaa are the schools
You realize this is entirely false for football? And basketball outside the March madness tournament.

The NCAA is nothing. The important brands are the conferences and the schools.

You realize this is entirely false for football? And basketball outside the March madness tournament.

The conferences and the schools are the brands but the NCAA actually is something that university presidents really support. There are competitive balances, checks and balances, safety , student interest and extraordinary money distribution in a equitable manner. You called them nothing. Reform is always needed but if you talk to AD's and coaches they will tell you that the NCAA IS NECESSARY for basketball.

I’m not talking about brands. I’m talking about investigations and rules

Top Bottom