You make the call - do you fire Frost?

Yeah, Trev Alberts is in a tough spot. If Frost was some no name coach it would be easy to pull the plug and go out and get his own guy (Coyle/Claeys for example). But Scott Frost is a Nebraska football legend and if they can make it work under him as the coach it is the dream scenario.

Prior to the Purdue game my gut feeling was that Frost would get one more year. After yet another one score loss to Purdue I am not so sure anymore. How they play over these final 3 games may very well be what determines if Frost gets another year or not.

What really mucks it up is that you can clearly see they have improved this year, and have played some tight games with really good teams in what has been a brutal schedule. But this is also year 4, and at some point the wins have to start happening, playing good teams close isn't enough.

In a day and age where you just have to be mediocre to make a bowl game, it is a tough sell to retain a guy who has failed to even finish .500 or qualify for any bowl games (assuming of course they miss one this year, could maybe get one at 5-7 due to need for teams).
I disagree that the make it working under him being the dream scenario is why they have to keep him.

It’s the opposite, if they can’t make it work under him basically they have to get Saban or Meyer to have a chance at the return to glory.

Can someone please explain to me what the infatuation with Scott Frost is on this board? We played Nebraska three weeks ago? WGAF
I like to think people can talk about what they want outside of something harmful or some other good reason not to.

In frosts defense, Nebraska probably has played the toughest schedule in the country: Michigan state, michigan, oklahoma, Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin. Oops forgot Ohio state. Not that I care about what happens with Nebraska because it has to be the most numbingly boring state to drive across, but that was the schedule. I think what is telling is ADs response, and so far crickets.

If he's lost the program you have to fire him. If you see improvement off the field and a light at the end of the tunnel, you keep him. Will be interesting to see where they go at the end of the month.

OK - time for all of us "wannabe" athletic directors out there that think they are smarter than the athletic directors to make the call.

Scenario - You are the Nebraska athletic director Trev Alberts. What do you do with your coaching situation? Do you keep Frost around or do you fire him now or at the end of the year???

The problem with Nebraska is they thought they would come in and dominate the Big Ten and rival OSU for the championship every year. This turned out to be a disaster as Iowa, Wisconsin and even Minnesota started beating them on a regular basis. Purdue, Northwestern and the Illini are a coin flip at best. Joining the Big Ten was a terrible decision for them. Since Tom Osborne left in 1997 they are hiring and firing coaches who were successful but not deemed successful enough. They were all dumped too soon.

6Frank Solich1998–200358–19 (.753)33–15 (.688)National champion (1999)
Big 12 champion (1999)
Big 12 North champion (1999–2001)
27Bill Callahan2004–0727–22 (.551)15–17 (.469)Big 12 North champion (2006)
28Bo Pelini[A 3]2003†, 2008–1467–27 (.713)38–17 (.691)Big 12 North champion (2008–10); Big Ten Legends champion (2012)
Barney Cotton[A 4]2014†0–1 (.000)
29Mike Riley[A 5]2015–1719–19 (.500)12–14 (.462)
30Scott Frost2018–15–26 (.366)10–22 (.313)

And you are left with Scott Frost who isn't even CLOSE to guys like Solich, Callahan and Pelini who were all dumped. Now they risk making ANOTHER mistake by keeping a mediocre coach longer than they should because they are afraid of dumping him too early. Maybe he gets things on track in another year or two..........or not.

What do YOU do if you are the athletic director here???
If there are strong indications that the players have quit on him, as an AD I don't prolong the agony any further. Whether or not to do it with a couple of games remaining or end of season - I guess that depends on what kind of effort is shown against OSU. If they look lackluster and totally discombobulated in that game, then I think I pull the trigger. I want the last 2 games with an interim coach to see how much it was the coach and how much it was the personnel. That will influence who I hire to replace him.

Some things would have to go very, very right in order for me to keep him another year. A strong showing vs. OSU and beating Iowa and Wisconsin would make me reconsider.

The fact that my coach got into verbal pissing match with the coach at Minnesota, who has repeatedly and soundly beaten him 3 out of 4 times, is concerning. By the looks of things, my guy is the one that started it, too. The fact that he can't seem to let it go means my guy either has some doubts about his own abilities and is looking to tear others down to make himself appear better, or he has some major blind spots due to shear arrogance. Doesn't exactly scream leadership at any level.

In frosts defense, Nebraska probably has played the toughest schedule in the country: Michigan state, michigan, oklahoma, Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin. Oops forgot Ohio state. Not that I care about what happens with Nebraska because it has to be the most numbingly boring state to drive across, but that was the schedule. I think what is telling is ADs response, and so far crickets.
Here is the work on the cross overs

Frost 4-6 (.400) with OSU to play
Fleck 5-8 (.385) with Ind to play

Frost will have played tOSU 4 times to Fleck's 2
Both have played Michigan twice
Frost has faced MSU 2 times to Fleck's 1
Both have faced PSU once

Maryland Frost 1 to Fleck's 5
Indiana Frost 1 to Fleck's 2
Rutgers Frost 1 to Fleck's 1

If I were AD, a lot would depend on the discussions I have with Scott Frost.
Where is his head. Is he even enjoying it? Is there an opportunity for a separation agreement of sorts.

I'd have a real hard time keeping him if I have the financial means to move on. If financially things are tough, I'd fire him and bring in a low paid coach with high incentives. Would have to dig deep to find this person whether an internal hire or some assistant looking for his first break.

It's not what you'd expect at Nebraska, but it's probably as good of an idea to develop a new plan with someone who really wants to be there who is a low financial risk. Go with that for 2-4 years. Worst you have happen is the same results.

Disagree.

he is like if Minnesota hired Tony dungy and Tony dungy was under .500 4 years in a row.

how can you fire the guy? If he can’t fix it….Who can?
Worked under the Oregon Nike Machine, went 14-0 as a UCF head coach and won a major bowl….heisman trophy winner as a OC at Oregon. A fluky play away from a national title OC at Oregon (when auburn guy wasn’t down even though Oregon stopped playing)

You give him as long of a leash as you can. I give him another year hoping it comes together. Buy him out now who do you get?

Who is more likely to have success? Frost or random G5 head coach they hire? Random G5 head coach is probably 50/50. I have to think frost in another year is at least a 51% chance….especially if I’m a Nebraska person
OK - time for all of us "wannabe" athletic directors out there that think they are smarter than the athletic directors to make the call.

Scenario - You are the Nebraska athletic director Trev Alberts. What do you do with your coaching situation? Do you keep Frost around or do you fire him now or at the end of the year???

The problem with Nebraska is they thought they would come in and dominate the Big Ten and rival OSU for the championship every year. This turned out to be a disaster as Iowa, Wisconsin and even Minnesota started beating them on a regular basis. Purdue, Northwestern and the Illini are a coin flip at best. Joining the Big Ten was a terrible decision for them. Since Tom Osborne left in 1997 they are hiring and firing coaches who were successful but not deemed successful enough. They were all dumped too soon.

6Frank Solich1998–200358–19 (.753)33–15 (.688)National champion (1999)
Big 12 champion (1999)
Big 12 North champion (1999–2001)
27Bill Callahan2004–0727–22 (.551)15–17 (.469)Big 12 North champion (2006)
28Bo Pelini[A 3]2003†, 2008–1467–27 (.713)38–17 (.691)Big 12 North champion (2008–10); Big Ten Legends champion (2012)
Barney Cotton[A 4]2014†0–1 (.000)
29Mike Riley[A 5]2015–1719–19 (.500)12–14 (.462)
30Scott Frost2018–15–26 (.366)10–22 (.313)

And you are left with Scott Frost who isn't even CLOSE to guys like Solich, Callahan and Pelini who were all dumped. Now they risk making ANOTHER mistake by keeping a mediocre coach longer than they should because they are afraid of dumping him too early. Maybe he gets things on track in another year or two..........or not.

What do YOU do if you are the athletic director here???
I would not fire him. That team has improved.
They are a tough win for most BT teams.

Brewster at Mn had a full conference season with Zero BT Conference wins. That is a sin worse than death for a BT Coach. He was given more time. Finally in his last season, he had ZERO BT Conference wins at the time he was relieved of duties. He was replaced late on the season.

Frost even has a BT win this year with a chance for more. The Trev-man would be a fool to replace Frost now, and I think he will give Frost at least another year.
Nebby had me shaking in my boots worrying if my Gophers could hang on to beat them. They have played other BT teams just as tough or tougher

Sometimes, the wisest and most courageous thing for an AD to do is to stand pat, make the tough call and back a man for a while longer. I think Frost stays. Just myho.

I would give him until the end of the season. The team looks uninspired. He seems uninspired. Recruiting is even dropping.

If Nebraska can show some fight over the next few weeks and win some games, I'd probably bring him back on the hottest of hot seats.

If he beats both Iowa and Wisconsin, I will start a fundraiser to help Nebraska pay part of his salary.
This would be my vote

Brewster at Mn had a full conference season with Zero BT Conference wins. That is a sin worse than death for a BT Coach. He was given more time. Finally in his last season, he had ZERO BT Conference wins at the time he was relieved of duties. He was replaced late on the season.

Frost even has a BT win this year with a chance for more. The Trev-man would be a fool to replace Frost now, and I think he will give Frost at least another year.
Nebby had me shaking in my boots worrying if my Gophers could hang on to beat them. They have played other BT teams just as tough or tougher

Sometimes, the wisest and most courageous thing for an AD to do is to stand pat, make the tough call and back a man for a while longer
. I think Frost stays. Just myho.
This is 100% true.

Comparisons to Minnesota are nice but Nebraska has a different standard which they myopically expect.
Under the harsh unrealistic standards inherent at Nebraska he should by all means be a dead man walking. Four years without a bowl game or a winning season?
Fire him!
Now then, if he was Minnesota’s coach and had this schedule, these morale victories and good recruiting he’d get another “Pitino” season cause he’s a nice guy.
But he coaches Nebraska!
So he’s fired.

if he wasn't an alum and a former Neb FB great, I think he would be gone.

But, I think his "Nebraska legend" status will allow him to hang around for at least one more year.

Alberts is in a tough spot - 1st year as AD - does he really want his first big move to involve firing a former Nebraska hero?

if there is a parting of the ways, look for the two sides to work out something where Frost says he is 'stepping down' for ........reasons, so that Alberts can claim that he didn't "fire" him.

Neb needs to hire Kill and co. Jerry labeled himself ‘the fixer’
It actually makes sense in some sense 😂😂

Frost’s problem at this point is that recruits don’t want to sign with a dead man walking… At that point delaying a year hurts the next coach too.

It actually makes sense in some sense 😂😂

Frost’s problem at this point is that recruits don’t want to sign with a dead man walking… At that point delaying a year hurts the next coach too.
I’d love for them to be Good-ish… just a step below the Gophers. 😁

I hope the AD sees the situation for what it is: a buy-low opportunity on a long contract extension!!

As a Minnesota fan: Don't fire him, shoot give him an extension so he knows you will let him figure things out. I am sure an undefeated season is just around the corner. Be patient Nebraska

If I was a Nebraska fan: If you have a "Fleck" type of hire out there who can turn things around spend the money now to get him, if you don't wait a year and hire the best candidate you can. Scott does not have it in him to compete at the highest level. He was great at UCF, similar to how Fleck was with one distinctive difference, Fleck knows how to coach and win close games or at least has players who can.

What ever Nebby had going was crushed with the insane firing of Pelini. Much has changed since then and Frost is the victim of over stated expectations and other schools around them getting better and investing into their programs. The traditional Nebby style is no more and will not return. No point in firing the guy without an all out blitz to reimagine the program. He is not a bad coach, He has had success in his playing and brief stint at UCF. Nebraska is a bad job and they will not find anyone better. Keep him for now and evaluate their "culture".

if he wasn't an alum and a former Neb FB great, I think he would be gone.

But, I think his "Nebraska legend" status will allow him to hang around for at least one more year.

Alberts is in a tough spot - 1st year as AD - does he really want his first big move to involve firing a former Nebraska hero?

if there is a parting of the ways, look for the two sides to work out something where Frost says he is 'stepping down' for ........reasons, so that Alberts can claim that he didn't "fire" him.
Very true. If he wasn't "one of them" he'd be gone for sure.

I think Alberts really wants him to be successful but the evidence is mounting that Frost is in over his head. He was successful at Central Florida but he just can not get it done at this level. I guess I would give him until the end of the year but I would be actively looking behind the scenes at what I could come up with. Start working off your dream list and see who might bite.

I think Frost has already done considerable damage to that program and he isn't even in the same class as Solich, Callahan or Pelini. The "Blackshirt" defense isn't feared they are exploited. They always seem to do the dumbest possible thing at the worst possible time and their QB Martinez is vastly overrated. They no longer are gunning for a championship they are gunning just to upset a few teams and make a minor bowl game.

And to someone who was around for the 84-13 massacre over the Gophers in 1983, I have not shed any tears over their demise. I hope they keep Frost and heck they can even keep Martinez for the next 10 years.

Sometimes, the wisest and most courageous thing for an AD to do is to stand pat, make the tough call and back a man for a while longer. I think Frost stays. Just myho.
Interesting take -- I like it!!

https://saturdaytradition.com/nebraska-football/details-on-scott-frosts-buyout-at-nebraska-revealed/

I don't know, unless it is for cause $20 million is a crazy number. You absolutely, need help from boosters AND most importantly have an agreement with your NEXT head coach if you are going to pay the $20 million buyout. Then the new guy is going to want $7 million a year. This all is pricey.

The problem is the contract and that AD is already gone.

Would you do it for Urban Meyer?
Who else is coming to Nebraska that guarantees they will win? (And is likely to be successful)
I'm glad we are not Nebraska and I'm glad we aren't looking for a coach.

Puts an enormous amount of pressure on a young lower level phenom coach if you buyout Frost for $20 million.

I would give him until the end of the season. The team looks uninspired. He seems uninspired. Recruiting is even dropping.

If Nebraska can show some fight over the next few weeks and win some games, I'd probably bring him back on the hottest of hot seats.

If he beats both Iowa and Wisconsin, I will start a fundraiser to help Nebraska pay part of his salary.
Agreed. But there has to be a wide open QB competition next year. You've gotten what you can out of Martinez

The question is who are you going to get to replace Frost. Fleck saw something in Minnesota he liked despite the program's horrendous past. Does Nebraska and Lincoln have something to attract someone who is an up and comer? As AD, if I could answer yes, yes, and have found the next guy I'd pull the trigger. If not, I wait another year and tell boosters that the team is only one possession away from being great.

I would fire him based on the fact that he apparently hasn't recruited a qb better than Martinez! He should be a slot receiver right now!

I mentioned this back when we played Nebraska. I talked to 2 random Nebraska fans at the game and asked if they thought Frost would get fired and they looked at me like I was even nuts for asking such a question. They said "Frosty is our guy". They really couldn't think of a reason why I'd suggest such a thing (so I mentioned their record under Frost and the NCAA investigation). They said the NCAA thing was nothing.

No idea if they represent the whole fan base though.

Agreed. But there has to be a wide open QB competition next year. You've gotten what you can out of Martinez
Yeah, I think the scary thing is that it seems like Martinez likely won those competitions. I'd much rather play against Nebraska with Vedral or McCaffery than Martinez. I know Martinez is flawed, but Nebraska's bigger issue is that they couldn't recruit someone to take his spot.

I've seen it whispered a number of times on Nebraska message boards, I assume it's tongue-in-cheek, but some of their posters had alluded to the possibility that Martinez ends up here next year. I'm not trying to go all JD Spielman on this thread (but I will fly back to MPLS to keep an eye out at the Vu), but I don't know if there is some connection with Martinez and Fleck that I'm missing or if they are just throwing sh!t against the wall.

The question is who are you going to get to replace Frost. Fleck saw something in Minnesota he liked despite the program's horrendous past. Does Nebraska and Lincoln have something to attract someone who is an up and comer? As AD, if I could answer yes, yes, and have found the next guy I'd pull the trigger. If not, I wait another year and tell boosters that the team is only one possession away from being great.
Somebody else mentioned totally re-imagining the program..... Nebby needs to hire Mike Leach.

Top Bottom