You make the call - do you fire Frost?

Gold Rush

Reaction score
OK - time for all of us "wannabe" athletic directors out there that think they are smarter than the athletic directors to make the call.

Scenario - You are the Nebraska athletic director Trev Alberts. What do you do with your coaching situation? Do you keep Frost around or do you fire him now or at the end of the year???

The problem with Nebraska is they thought they would come in and dominate the Big Ten and rival OSU for the championship every year. This turned out to be a disaster as Iowa, Wisconsin and even Minnesota started beating them on a regular basis. Purdue, Northwestern and the Illini are a coin flip at best. Joining the Big Ten was a terrible decision for them. Since Tom Osborne left in 1997 they are hiring and firing coaches who were successful but not deemed successful enough. They were all dumped too soon.

6Frank Solich1998–200358–19 (.753)33–15 (.688)National champion (1999)
Big 12 champion (1999)
Big 12 North champion (1999–2001)
27Bill Callahan2004–0727–22 (.551)15–17 (.469)Big 12 North champion (2006)
28Bo Pelini[A 3]2003†, 2008–1467–27 (.713)38–17 (.691)Big 12 North champion (2008–10); Big Ten Legends champion (2012)
Barney Cotton[A 4]2014†0–1 (.000)
29Mike Riley[A 5]2015–1719–19 (.500)12–14 (.462)
30Scott Frost2018–15–26 (.366)10–22 (.313)

And you are left with Scott Frost who isn't even CLOSE to guys like Solich, Callahan and Pelini who were all dumped. Now they risk making ANOTHER mistake by keeping a mediocre coach longer than they should because they are afraid of dumping him too early. Maybe he gets things on track in another year or two..........or not.

What do YOU do if you are the athletic director here???

I would give him until the end of the season. The team looks uninspired. He seems uninspired. Recruiting is even dropping.

If Nebraska can show some fight over the next few weeks and win some games, I'd probably bring him back on the hottest of hot seats.

If he beats both Iowa and Wisconsin, I will start a fundraiser to help Nebraska pay part of his salary.

I would give him until the end of the season. The team looks uninspired. He seems uninspired. Recruiting is even dropping.

If Nebraska can show some fight over the next few weeks and win some games, I'd probably bring him back on the hottest of hot seats.

If he beats both Iowa and Wisconsin, I will start a fundraiser to help Nebraska pay part of his salary.
Pretty much where I would be at as well. That Purdue game was a bit of tipping point as you are starting to hear talk of players quitting on the team and that would be the final nail for Frost. Nothing really to gain by pulling the plug before the end of the season, but if they drop the final 3 I think he is gone.

If they show some fight and win a game down the stretch, maybe he gets one more year with some pretty massive expectations for success or else. Might depend some on how much they want to wade into the coaching battle as well with some fairly high profile jobs open this off season.

If his name wasn't Scott Frost he would already have been fired. But that name won't protect him much longer and I have seen a switch in how a lot of the talking heads are talking after the Purdue loss.

No doubt on the hot seat now. Ride the season out, examine finances, if feasible fire him. They have really screwed things up down there.

Not always easy to get a coach. Jerry Kill clearly wasn't our first coach after being turned down by others. I don't think some people really understand how lucky to have a coach such as Fleck.

The problem with firing Frost is what he represented when he was hired. A famous alumni, who was successful elsewhere. He was THE hire to make. Where do you go from there?

My best comparison would be of Flip had taken the gopher hoops job and gone backwards for 4 years. Famous alum, successful coach, beloved by fans. Do you fire him knowing the next hire isn’t going to tick those boxes?

Id fire him. But man there are a lot of issues with doing so including finances.

Not winning at Illinois in week 0 was unfortunate.

They've had a brutal schedule. Michigan, Mich St, and Ohio St all ranked top 10. They'll be 3-7 after this weekend. Plus at Minnesota, we're top 20, Purdue is similar to us, and then at OU.

All of those were very competitive losses. "Should've" beaten MSU. Will be interesting to see what the Ohio St loss is like.

Then a week off, then to Madison and Iowa at home.

Let's see how it goes against Wisc and Iowa. Would be awesome if they somehow beat them both. If that happens, he probably stays. If they lose both, not sure.

The ONLY way he keeps his job is by winning 2 more games out of their 3 remaining. I do think he wins 1... Iowa

I agree they are a qb and ol away from being real competitive

Take PJs success chart and turn it upside down. But take out the high points. Frost is perfect where he is for my liking. But if I was Trev I'd wait one more game to see if the team actually quit. If so, out the door. If not finish the season and reevaluate.

I would fire him this year if it weren't for the buyout.

I was talking to a Nebraska fan co-worker and he was saying it's time to make a move and made it sound like that buyout wouldn't be a deterrent for the big UNL boosters.

The problem with firing Frost is what he represented when he was hired. A famous alumni, who was successful elsewhere. He was THE hire to make. Where do you go from there?

My best comparison would be of Flip had taken the gopher hoops job and gone backwards for 4 years. Famous alum, successful coach, beloved by fans. Do you fire him knowing the next hire isn’t going to tick those boxes?

Id fire him. But man there are a lot of issues with doing so including finances.
Yeah, Trev Alberts is in a tough spot. If Frost was some no name coach it would be easy to pull the plug and go out and get his own guy (Coyle/Claeys for example). But Scott Frost is a Nebraska football legend and if they can make it work under him as the coach it is the dream scenario.

Prior to the Purdue game my gut feeling was that Frost would get one more year. After yet another one score loss to Purdue I am not so sure anymore. How they play over these final 3 games may very well be what determines if Frost gets another year or not.

What really mucks it up is that you can clearly see they have improved this year, and have played some tight games with really good teams in what has been a brutal schedule. But this is also year 4, and at some point the wins have to start happening, playing good teams close isn't enough.

In a day and age where you just have to be mediocre to make a bowl game, it is a tough sell to retain a guy who has failed to even finish .500 or qualify for any bowl games (assuming of course they miss one this year, could maybe get one at 5-7 due to need for teams).

Reactions: pk2

Can someone please explain to me what the infatuation with Scott Frost is on this board? We played Nebraska three weeks ago? WGAF
College football message board, they are in our division, not a lot of other things to talk about....

If you are offended by the thread just don't click on it.

As a couple others have said, the buyout really prevents Neb from making a move unless they can fire Frost with cause...and the wheels got turning on that over the summer.

He's Nebraska's version of Tim Brewster. I suspect the NCAA violation investigation over the summer was initiated from an inside tip to attempt to smear Frost so they don't have to pay up when they do end up firing him.
Disagree.

he is like if Minnesota hired Tony dungy and Tony dungy was under .500 4 years in a row.

how can you fire the guy? If he can’t fix it….Who can?
Worked under the Oregon Nike Machine, went 14-0 as a UCF head coach and won a major bowl….heisman trophy winner as a OC at Oregon. A fluky play away from a national title OC at Oregon (when auburn guy wasn’t down even though Oregon stopped playing)

You give him as long of a leash as you can. I give him another year hoping it comes together. Buy him out now who do you get?

Who is more likely to have success? Frost or random G5 head coach they hire? Random G5 head coach is probably 50/50. I have to think frost in another year is at least a 51% chance….especially if I’m a Nebraska person

NE boosters would cobble together 20 mil? I believe it when I see it.

It IS the main pastime in Nebraska. If you look at their athletic facilities on that campus, it's really not that hard to imagine.

Not saying I think he will definitely be fired (can see a case for one more year if they don't lose the rest of their games), but just stating that there is more money around that program than most outside the SEC.

Top Bottom