Yahoo: Will America's No. 1 QB recruit Quinn Ewers give up 7-figure NIL offers for one more season of Texas high school football?

This is the beginning of the end of college sports.
Disagree.

If this was already going on under the table, then it's just the same thing that was already happened, just over the table.

Nothing about that is the end of any kind of gravy train.

Disagree.

If this was already going on under the table, then it's just the same thing that was already happened, just over the table.

Nothing about that is the end of any kind of gravy train.
He said "beginning" of the end, not the actual end.

I've never heard someone say "beginning of the end" to mean "well maybe it might end, but not really sure if it will actually end".

Disagree this will happen ............ because it already is that way.

Those very tip top schools already do get most of the elite recruits, that you need to get to actually compete for the natty.

They have been.
Exactly. I'm not really sure what people mean when they say this is going to end up in the OSU's/Bama's/etc. getting more top end recruits. Are they going to start having 400+ players on their teams? How exactly will they get more?

I have watched Quinn the last two years at Southlake Carroll, because my Grandson caught a bunch of his passes, and he seems to be the real deal. He should do well at Ohio State, hoping he makes the right decision concerning his future.

Right.

NIL is nothing more than players going to exactly the same schools that they already have been going to --- and just now allowed to make money on the side. It's just OK with the rules now. Not that they weren't doing it before.

Exactly. I'm not really sure what people mean when they say this is going to end up in the OSU's/Bama's/etc. getting more top end recruits. Are they going to start having 400+ players on their teams? How exactly will they get more?
The few 3*s that they end up taking will be replaced by 4*s that commit to a school like us.

This is deteriorating faster than I imagined it would. Maybe the Universities and Conferences can make their own bylaws about NIL. Limit it in some way if it cant be eliminated. Eliminate competition with schools/conferences that dont hold to the code. Let the NFL form its own under league. Im sure this is pissing into the wind, but D1 college football is now ruined and it make me sad.

Yeah, now that we can no longer recruit at OSU's level, we're done....

Do you follow MLB? The Yankees have one WS win in the last 20 years, and none in the last 10. Tampa Bay was just in the world series, Houston won one in 2017. Heck the Royals have won more recently than the Yankees. If anything CFB hasn't had as much parity as MLB in many many years, if ever.
And the NFL hasn’t had as much parity as the nfl either.

If top recruits can do that while the guys we go after have to work hard to find a paid appearance at a local business for a few hundreds bucks, this sport is over.

The reason the NFL surpassed the other leagues in popularity was the parity that free agency and a salary cap enforced. This is looking like it might be MLB: Yankees and a few others every year, with the others not even in the neighborhood of competing.

That's what college football is already. Parity.... Rotflmao 🤣🤣🤣

I have two minds on this subject.

One.....yes, schools like OSU, Bama, etc will just get even more top end recruits, leaving less and less for the rest. This will create a bigger gulf between the Blue Bloods and teams that could potentially knock them off on occasion, making the sport boring and repetitive.

Two ....the money flowing through a few ultra-talented kids is going to cause massive turmoil amongst the teams they're on. Each kid making big bucks is going to be "Mr. Important" and the team is going to be secondary to their individual goals. If they get to play because of the money they're making (thus enticing the next big time recruit) the team might not truly be the best they can be, possibly allowing teams like the Gophers to beat them. I also think transfers will be much more common than they are already, so eventually top talent will spread itself out some. Plus, teams receiving the transfers are getting very talented, older players with chips on their shoulders.

I tend to think that #2 will be what happens. Maybe not right away, but not far from now it will. I really hope this doesn't ruin my favorite sport
I agree with you. I bet #2 will eventually weaken if not destroy the OSU, Alabama, etc. dynasties “from within.” Obscene NIL money for a privileged few, rendering the balance of the team as mere serfs, will be a cancer in the locker room, dividing the “house.” The teams without five star prima donnas who find a way to channel most NIL money equitably to the entire team will be more cohesive than ever.

Sure, but there's a difference between the #1 QB in the country, and a solid 4 star WR like RB. If Bateman went to UGA, Alabama, LSU, etc., are companies lining up to pay $250k to a guy who is one of their low end recruits? Some may argue that RB would be just another guy at those schools, while he had the opportunity (and took full advantage of it) to be a star here.

Now this is based on assumptions of course, but I can't imagine every guy, or even more than a handful of those guys, are making $250k +. There's not an unlimited supply of money to be thrown at these kids, even if it seems that way sometimes.
The star services hadn't caught up on Bateman (entirely) but his record setting year as a senior was convincing enough for Kirby to elevate him to plan A our other recruits, so I'd put RB in a different category. But your probably right that they won't be throwing a quarter mil at these kids, but the I think MPLSfan is right that 50 could swing it.

How can he skip his entire senior year? Does he somehow have all the credits needed to graduate high school after Junior year?
They worded it kind of weird. He can still go to high school, he just cannot play football.

My guess is that he'd take the 7 figure deal, not play HS football and work out and then enroll at Ohio State this December.

When’s Nick Saban going to sign an 8th grader and have him homeschool for 4 years and be a million dollar ball boy with 10 million Instagram followers?
We aren't that far from this. Alabama will hire a social media guru to increase the followers of their athletes (and the NIL $$).

They worded it kind of weird. He can still go to high school, he just cannot play football.

My guess is that he'd take the 7 figure deal, not play HS football and work out and then enroll at Ohio State this December.
I don't know this kids situation, but like I said, there have been hockey players that skipped their entire senior year. As long as you have all the credits...

I don't know this kids situation, but like I said, there have been hockey players that skipped their entire senior year. As long as you have all the credits...
Oh for sure, it happens all of the time. Tons of basketball players also re-classify, which just means they graduate HS a year early. It usually requires some planning and preparation.

I'm just thinking that for him, he might not have been planning on doing this since the NIL is pretty new and he is going into his senior season. I'm guessing his plan was to graduate in December and then enroll at Ohio State. Because it is now August going into his senior year, I'd be surprised if he planned his HS career to be able to graduate right now.

But yeah, people can certainly graduate early, it just takes some planning.

Or move to a state that doesn’t ban NIL for high school players

You should be honored to be the first team to get to face the phenom Quinn Ewers. If he is half as good as the hype, he will be the starter. I wonder where Stroud will transfer?

You should be honored to be the first team to get to face the phenom Quinn Ewers. If he is half as good as the hype, he will be the starter. I wonder where Stroud will transfer?
The mullet is pretty legendary. That being said, he will only have 30 days of practice to get used to college ball, learn the playbook, and beat out stroud. Seems like a tough ask.

Thanks for clarifying. It would be interesting if this affected high school ball like that.

I get that this is a story but it’s kind of a non story. Basketball kids have been doing this for years.

Bigger story for me is that Ohio state will use one of their 85 “scholarship” spots on a 17 year old
They aren’t. Unless there is a 17 year old doing this as well?

They aren’t. Unless there is a 17 year old doing this as well?
Just checked - Ewers is a March birthday. Most students his age would have graduated by now so he's not really leaving early but just getting back on track.

That's what college football is already. Parity.... Rotflmao 🤣🤣🤣
Parity isn't binary, wiseguy. You can move it in either direction, this moves it further away. But bury your head in the sand if you want to.

I get that this is a story but it’s kind of a non story. Basketball kids have been doing this for years.

Bigger story for me is that Ohio state will use one of their 85 “scholarship” spots on a 17 year old
Is he going to be on the roster for this season, or is he going to enroll in January so he counts towards next year, and the only reason he isn't playing fall football is for NIL deals?

Top Bottom