Yahoo: Will America's No. 1 QB recruit Quinn Ewers give up 7-figure NIL offers for one more season of Texas high school football?

If top recruits can do that while the guys we go after have to work hard to find a paid appearance at a local business for a few hundreds bucks, this sport is over.

The reason the NFL surpassed the other leagues in popularity was the parity that free agency and a salary cap enforced. This is looking like it might be MLB: Yankees and a few others every year, with the others not even in the neighborhood of competing.

If top recruits can do that while the guys we go after have to work hard to find a paid appearance at a local business for a few hundreds bucks, this sport is over.

The reason the NFL surpassed the other leagues in popularity was the parity that free agency and a salary cap enforced. This is looking like it might be MLB: Yankees and a few others every year, with the others not even in the neighborhood of competing.
Yeah, now that we can no longer recruit at OSU's level, we're done....

Do you follow MLB? The Yankees have one WS win in the last 20 years, and none in the last 10. Tampa Bay was just in the world series, Houston won one in 2017. Heck the Royals have won more recently than the Yankees. If anything CFB hasn't had as much parity as MLB in many many years, if ever.

How can he skip his entire senior year? Does he somehow have all the credits needed to graduate high school after Junior year?

How can he skip his entire senior year? Does he somehow have all the credits needed to graduate high school after Junior year?
There are multiple ways to graduate early now days.

They'll really be flocking to NMSU to get NIL money from Casa De Auto.
Not. :unsure:

I have one year with Sling Blue. My interest in watching sports is diminished every year. Money is ruining college sports.

Stay in school, kids.

This sport has always been about money - which schools can afford the highest coaching salaries and biggest buyouts... This kid is going to Ohio St regardless.

This will backfire on these type of kids sooner than later. The sad stories will emerge and new rules will be put in place. Coaches will face tough decisions and feel obligated to play people based on their endorsements.

The money will always be there. You only have one opportunity at a senior year of HS.

I have two minds on this subject.

One.....yes, schools like OSU, Bama, etc will just get even more top end recruits, leaving less and less for the rest. This will create a bigger gulf between the Blue Bloods and teams that could potentially knock them off on occasion, making the sport boring and repetitive.

Two ....the money flowing through a few ultra-talented kids is going to cause massive turmoil amongst the teams they're on. Each kid making big bucks is going to be "Mr. Important" and the team is going to be secondary to their individual goals. If they get to play because of the money they're making (thus enticing the next big time recruit) the team might not truly be the best they can be, possibly allowing teams like the Gophers to beat them. I also think transfers will be much more common than they are already, so eventually top talent will spread itself out some. Plus, teams receiving the transfers are getting very talented, older players with chips on their shoulders.

I tend to think that #2 will be what happens. Maybe not right away, but not far from now it will. I really hope this doesn't ruin my favorite sport

I have two minds on this subject.

One.....yes, schools like OSU, Bama, etc will just get even more top end recruits, leaving less and less for the rest. This will create a bigger gulf between the Blue Bloods and teams that could potentially knock them off on occasion, making the sport boring and repetitive.

Two ....the money flowing through a few ultra-talented kids is going to cause massive turmoil amongst the teams they're on. Each kid making big bucks is going to be "Mr. Important" and the team is going to be secondary to their individual goals. If they get to play because of the money they're making (thus enticing the next big time recruit) the team might not truly be the best they can be, possibly allowing teams like the Gophers to beat them. I also think transfers will be much more common than they are already, so eventually top talent will spread itself out some. Plus, teams receiving the transfers are getting very talented, older players with chips on their shoulders.

I tend to think that #2 will be what happens. Maybe not right away, but not far from now it will. I really hope this doesn't ruin my favorite sport
The transferring of top end QB recruits every time they don’t get an undisputed starting position has gotten pretty bad lately. With how much money is being tied up in a guy like this OSU commit, it’ll only get worse. You think a kid can make 7 figures and possibly understand why he isn’t starting day 1? I’m sure he already has a massive ego, and this will only make it worse.

It can be done. Happens more often in hockey. Nick Bjugstad is the last Gopher I can remember to accelerate high school graduation.

Yeah, now that we can no longer recruit at OSU's level, we're done....

Do you follow MLB? The Yankees have one WS win in the last 20 years, and none in the last 10. Tampa Bay was just in the world series, Houston won one in 2017. Heck the Royals have won more recently than the Yankees. If anything CFB hasn't had as much parity as MLB in many many years, if ever.
Ok wise guy, I'll admit I don't follow baseball at all, certainly not since AZ beat the Yankees. But you understood my point and just replied like that to be a dink. You succeeded.

This will backfire on these type of kids sooner than later. The sad stories will emerge and new rules will be put in place. Coaches will face tough decisions and feel obligated to play people based on their endorsements.
Naw.

Someone goes early, gets money, and fails will just be seen as not good enough.

At worst there will be some 'what if he waited?' articles but that's too vague to change anything.

I guess the states without income tax might have an advantage. Or they could pay them under the table……

Is that the case with anything else?

Outside some random anecdotes, I'm not sure folks the calls based on that alone.
Yeah, far more important things to think about when picking your college than income tax rate. Coach, scheme, shot at playing time, etc.

Ok wise guy, I'll admit I don't follow baseball at all, certainly not since AZ beat the Yankees. But you understood my point and just replied like that to be a dink. You succeeded.
I apologize, I did not mean to be a dink, or to offend you. I'll admit my tone was less than ideal. My general point is that I don't think this is the transformational change to CFB that some are thinking it is. This kid was going to OSU (or Bama, Georgia, etc.) whether NIL is a thing or not. I am of the belief that this will all settle down after a couple of years, and it will go back to business as usual with the blue bloods at the top and schools like us trying to catch lightning in a bottle every few years or so.

Now conference realignment IMO has the potential to really shake things up, but that is TBD.

It can be done. Happens more often in hockey. Nick Bjugstad is the last Gopher I can remember to accelerate high school graduation.
Clayton Phillips graduated early and joined the team a few years ago in January of what would have been his senior year.

Clayton Phillips graduated early and joined the team a few years ago in January of what would have been his senior year.
He was a little less memorable than Bjugstad lol. Good point though I had forgotten about him.

When’s Nick Saban going to sign an 8th grader and have him homeschool for 4 years and be a million dollar ball boy with 10 million Instagram followers?

I apologize, I did not mean to be a dink, or to offend you. I'll admit my tone was less than ideal. My general point is that I don't think this is the transformational change to CFB that some are thinking it is. This kid was going to OSU (or Bama, Georgia, etc.) whether NIL is a thing or not. I am of the belief that this will all settle down after a couple of years, and it will go back to business as usual with the blue bloods at the top and schools like us trying to catch lightning in a bottle every few years or so.

Now conference realignment IMO has the potential to really shake things up, but that is TBD.
I don't think this case proves what you want it to. Regardless if Ewers was going to Texas / tOSU regardless of NIL -- the question that you should answer is would Bateman still go to Minnesota if Georgia could offer ~ 250K. If he would go to Georgia I think this will be more than the current level of parity.

I don't think this case proves what you want it to. Regardless if Ewers was going to Texas / tOSU regardless of NIL -- the question that you should answer is would Bateman still go to Minnesota if Georgia could offer ~ 250K. If he would go to Georgia I think this will be more than the current level of parity.
Sure, but there's a difference between the #1 QB in the country, and a solid 4 star WR like RB. If Bateman went to UGA, Alabama, LSU, etc., are companies lining up to pay $250k to a guy who is one of their low end recruits? Some may argue that RB would be just another guy at those schools, while he had the opportunity (and took full advantage of it) to be a star here.

Now this is based on assumptions of course, but I can't imagine every guy, or even more than a handful of those guys, are making $250k +. There's not an unlimited supply of money to be thrown at these kids, even if it seems that way sometimes.

Sure, but there's a difference between the #1 QB in the country, and a solid 4 star WR like RB. If Bateman went to UGA, Alabama, LSU, etc., are companies lining up to pay $250k to a guy who is one of their low end recruits? Some may argue that RB would be just another guy at those schools, while he had the opportunity (and took full advantage of it) to be a star here.

Now this is based on assumptions of course, but I can't imagine every guy, or even more than a handful of those guys, are making $250k +. There's not an unlimited supply of money to be thrown at these kids, even if it seems that way sometimes.
I don't know anything about his background, but there are probably lots of guys of Bateman's caliber that could probably be swayed for just $50K. Be a "star" for virtually free, or be a contributor on a national championship caliber team for $50 grand. Hmmm...not a tough choice.

It will really be more of an advantage to schools that have strong booster programs. It use to be a problem when boosters would give recruits “fake jobs” or let them use cars, etc…. Now it will be even easier to flow huge amounts of money into the programs by paying recruits thousands for their “NIL” to “promote” the local car dealership, landscaping, gun shop, law office, real estate firm, etc…. It will not be the major corporations that get involved with this, it will basically be a legitimate way for booster to pay players directly.

This is the beginning of the end of college sports.

One.....yes, schools like OSU, Bama, etc will just get even more top end recruits, leaving less and less for the rest. This will create a bigger gulf between the Blue Bloods
Disagree this will happen ............ because it already is that way.

Those very tip top schools already do get most of the elite recruits, that you need to get to actually compete for the natty.

They have been.

Top Bottom