Women's Hockey 2023-24 Season -- Part 2: The Regular Season

I only saw the first period. They were skating well and passes were better but trouble putting the shots on net (and in the net).

Gophers won. Abbey Murphy scored her 25th goal of the season.

Gophers goals per game this season: 3.59
Gophers goals per game last season: 4.54

In other big news, UMD beat Minnesota State. St Cloud did not play but now today faces Wisconsin. UMD and St Cloud are in a race for a post-season spot.

1706964128888.png

The men's hockey team scored a huge OT win last night over Wisconsin!

Gophers women's hockey downs St. Thomas 3-1

Josefin Bouveng and Abbey Murphy lead Minnesota to fifth straight victory.

Josefin Bouveng and Abbey Murphy each had a goal and assist as the Gophers women's hockey team skated past St. Thomas 3-1 on Friday at Ridder Arena.

It was the fifth consecutive victory for the Gophers (21-5-1, 15-5-1 WCHA), who swept St. Thomas 8-0 and 4-0 in October.

Bouveng's goal — assisted by Murphy and Ella Huber — 5 minutes, 48 seconds into the third period broke a 1-1 tie. Madison Kaiser's goal — an empty-netter with 22 seconds remaining — sealed the victory for the Gophers.

"We found a way here tonight," said Gophers coach Brad Frost. "Every game is tight, and our team found a way in the third period. I am really proud of them and the effort that they gave there and looking forward to going for the sweep tomorrow. We know it will be tough and we have to bring a little more, but I am expecting our team to do that."..

Stat highlights:

#1 in the WCHA for power play percentage.

#3 (out of 8) for goals per game.

Notice the disconnect above. It's not bad it's just that last season the Gophers were far and away #1 at offense.

#1 for penalty kills.

#5 for goals allowed per game, which is surprising because they started the season looking more like a defense team with size.

Notice the disconnect above. Sometimes something breaks down and an opposing attacker is there at the net with time to snap the puck up into a corner. Yet other times the Gophers are an air-tight vice grip.

They're good, just sometimes not quite, if you know what I mean. They are a young team, not an upperclassman team like Ohio State.

#1 for most penalty minutes - by a wide margin.

I think Minnesota is still about even with Wisconsin. I don't know enough yet about the Eastern teams Cornell, Colgate and Clarkson to know how they match up. Ohio State is far and away the best team. Someone needs to upset them in the post-season.

These are the national stats:

1706982055466.png

Context: Some of the Eastern schedules are easier than the WCHA teams.

Two goals for Abbey Murphy! She leads the NCAA is goals per game!

Nice pass from Emma Kreisz to Murphy on the attack!

1707006896421.png

1707006925676.png

1707007115564.png

Sweet pass from Josefin Bouveng to Abbey Murphy for the score!

1707005527650.png

1707005623273.png

1707005712330.png

1707006266568.png

Showboat Abbey Murphy.

1707006188173.png

Goals also from Emma Kreisz, Peyton Hemp, and Josefin Bouveng.

GOPHERS WIN 5-2! THAT'S A SWEEP!

Kreisz, Bouveng, Murphy, and Hemp
1707007508694.png

SWEEEP!
1707007725778.png

Wisconsin put the hurt on St Cloud State while UMD beat Minnesota State. UMD is now 2 points ahead of St Cloud for a post-season spot.

#3 Colgate lost two big games this weekend.

1707013977593.png

1707012084924.png

St Lawrence beat Colgate.

1707012575436.png

Clarkson and Colgate played. Clarkson won.

1707011997291.png

And then Cornell beat Clarkson.

1707013377887.png

Cornell lost a game and won a game this weekend. Their game today was on ESPN+.

1707012159365.png

1707012441051.png

That means all the teams in the same poll pack as Gophers (3-5 ranking) lost this weekend. Gophers swept.

1707013904227.png

Quinnipiac won this weekend, though I don't think they're quite in the same league as the pack ahead.

1707011795439.png

Meanwhile, St Lawrence continues it's surprise rise and rise.

1707013598907.png

Last edited:

Next weekend the Gophers play a series against a good St Cloud State team pushing for a post-season appearance. Gophers could put the hurt on St Cloud, while St Cloud could knock Minnesota out of contention for the #2 poll spot.

1707017360507.png

The weekend after St Cloud State, Gophers play Wisconsin for what could be the fight for #2.

1707017430425.png

1707017643025.png

When the poll updates Tuesday, Minnesota may be at #3.

Abbey Murphy continues to be the most penalized player in the WCHA. Other teams rough her up and it's not called because she carries that agitator reputation.

1707020437191.png

Today she was ejected for a major penalty. There's a fine line. What's most exciting is attacking the opponent's net fearlessly, the fearless roughing should be a side order to the main event.

1707020819843.png

By Laine Higgins
Feb. 11, 2022 5:01 am ET

BEIJING—Women’s hockey isn’t as rough around the edges as the men’s game. Big hits are punishable by time in the penalty box. Checking, too. Dropping the gloves and pulling a punch? Forget about it.

Abbey Murphy, Team USA’s feisty 19-year-old forward, plays as if these rules don’t exist. She’s the rare skater who pushes the limits of decorum on the ice with a bruising game and a sharp tongue. Her teammates love her; competitors love to hate her because of her knack for getting under their skin. She has been nothing short of a menace on Olympic ice.

“She’s more of an instigator than anything,” said two-time U.S. Olympian Brianna Decker. “One thing I love about her is she is fearless. She just goes out there and plays her game.”

----------------------------

1707021193432.png

1707021053334.png

1707021082317.png

1707021372010.png

Abbey Murphy ascended to the level of world-class villain as a teenager.

The Chicago native developed a reputation for her wrecking ball style of play in both offensive and physical play; sparked a rare brawl between the United States and Canadian women’s teams; and in each of her first two NCAA seasons with Minnesota, finished among the top two in penalties nationwide. The toughest, most hated player in women’s hockey? Murphy openly embraces the title.

1707021139653.png

1707021225076.png

SH. I appreciate you being the number one fan and organizer of a Forum for the Gopher Women's hockey team. I like your information and viewpoint. However, you paste so many large files (pictures, videos, etc.) into your posts that it takes forever to load them to see what you are thinking. It is especially difficult for people who do not have high speed Internet. Keep promoting the Gopher women's hockey team. I think there are more fans like us out there.

Gophers women's hockey continues to rely on defense in latest victory, 1-0 over St. Cloud State

The fifth-ranked Gophers earned their seventh consecutive victory. They have given up only eight goals during their winning streak.

Abbey Murphy scored the only goal, Skylar Vetter made 24 saves and the Gophers women's hockey continued to rely on a strong defensive effort and its power play in a 1-0 victory over host St. Cloud State on Friday at the Herb Brooks National Sports Center.

The fifth-ranked Gophers (23-5-1, 17-5-1 WCHA) earned their seventh consecutive victory. They have given up only eight goals during their winning streak.

"Really solid win by our group tonight," Gophers coach Brad Frost said. "Really proud of our team in this playoff-like atmosphere. Skylar was great in a 1-0 win, nice power-play goal from Abbey Murphy, and a big three points on the road against a very, very good team."..

Gophers women's hockey completes sweep of St. Cloud State with big third period

Ella Huber scored the tiebreaking goal in the opening seconds of the third period and the Gophers added a pair of empty-netters late.

Ella Huber scored the go-ahead goal 13 seconds into the third period and the Gophers women's hockey team scored four times in the period to pull away for a 5-1 victory over St. Cloud State on Saturday at Ridder Arena.

Lucy Morgan made 21 saves for the fifth-ranked Gophers (24-5-1, 18-5-1 WCHA) completed their fourth consecutive series sweep. It was the first game (in four meetings) between the Gophers and Huskies this season decided by more than one goal — the Gophers won Friday's game 1-0 in St. Cloud.

"Another great win here at home against a tough opponent," Gophers coach Brad Frost said. "Six big points on the weekend for us. Lucy [Morgan] was great, our top line produced, and we defended well. We know it's going to continue to be tough as we go, but we're looking forward to getting out to Madison next weekend."..

Minnesota swept #10 St Cloud State.

Minnesota is stuck at #5 in polls despite only losing once to Wisconsin (split series) and trounced by Ohio State. No other losses.

Minnesota beat Cornell this season 5-1, swept ranked UMD once, and then won 3 games and 1 tie against ranked St Cloud State.

Minnesota is now #4 in PairWise rankings.

I don't think Minnesota necessarily deserves to be lower in polls than Clarkson and Colgate. Cornell and St Lawrence are in that conversation too.

Minnesota's offense is a bit sluggish so I understand being in that pack.

And Clarkson, Colgate, Cornell and St Lawrence all won both their games this weekend. All but St Lawrence lost a game last weekend.

Quinnipiac lost two games this weekend to St Lawrence and Clarkson. That will probably mean an early ending to their season.

‐--‐----------

The NCAA's National Collegiate Women’s Ice Hockey tournament features 11 teams. The five postseason champions from the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, ECAC, Hockey East, College Hockey America and New England Women’s Hockey Alliance receive automatic bids ( the current league leaders are noted in the bracket). The selection committee then uses the Pairwise rankings to select the six at-large teams, and seed the 11-team field.

Today at the Excel Energy Center is the Rivalry Series between Team USA and Team Canada, official "olympics" teams. All the best players in the world from USA and Canada compete.

The Rivalry series is not an official medal event. Games like this raise the profile of women's hockey. International hockey has pushed the rise in popularity of women's hockey.

In February of 2022, the gold medal game between Canada and USA women's hockey garnered 3.54 million viewers.

In 2018, 3.7 million watched the USA-Canada final. That exceeded all NHL games that season except 1 playoff game and the Stanley Cup Final.

The inaugural PWHL game in January garnered 2.9 million viewers.

13,316 fans were in attendance for the first PWHL game at Excel Energy Center.

The recent Rivalry Series game in Seattle was played in front of 14,551 fans.

‐-‐-‐---------

Crossover viewers will watch women's hockey when it is good, like Team USA and Team Canada. The knock on women's hockey is that teams further down the pecking order look lethargic to viewers accustomed to men or even boys hockey.

So showcasing the best is the strategy to build up women's hockey. The best college teams qualify for "best" too.

Last year's Gophers women's hockey, with that offense onslaught, was exciting to watch. They even beat a pro team the Whitecaps. That is what viewers will pay to see. The current Gophers team too, just using last season as the benchmark.

‐‐------------

Abbey Murphy scored two goals for the Gophers this weekend. She continues to lead the NCAA in goals at 29 goals. Her nearest WCHA competitor is Kirsten Simms of Wisconsin at 25 goals who earned a hat trick on Friday and 1 more goal on Saturday. I bet they try to feed her down the stretch. Elsewhere in the NCAA, Kristýna Kaltounková of Colgate has 24 goals.

Other Gophers scoring this weekend were Ella Huber (2), Madison Kaiser,, and Ava Lindsay. Assists came from Kaiser (2), Taylor Stewart, Josefin Bouveng, Madeline Wethington, Audrey Wethington (the Wethington sisters), Peyton Hemp, Maggie Nicholson, Emma Kreisz, and Nelli Latinen.

Gopher goaltenders Lycy Morgan and Skylar Vetter played well.

‐‐‐--------------

As women's hockey continues to grow, it's still a low budget undertaking most places. As I check scores and read news stories across the world of hockey, some women's hockey conference websites are not updated for days and weeks, and then sometimes it's with a half-baked link page to an uploaded file.

The Gophers set a high standard, but it's not like that most places.

At Ohio State that usually sets a high standard in sports, the rink for women is a dump.

Analyst news coverage of the sport is close to non-existent. There's some first-rate coverage, true, but that can only cover a selection of what's going on in the world of women's hockey.

Not complaining. Just saying how the sport is unfolding.

------------

The Wisconsin Menace

This weekend the Badgers annihilated Bemidji State 17-0 over two games.

The Gophers play the Badgers this next weekend at Wisconsin, two games. The two teams split the last series.

Gophers could move to the #2 spot with a convincing sweep of Wisconsin. Um....

Brace for a trouncing, plan for a split, and hope for a sweep.

------

UMD Bulldogs swept St Thomas. So UMD is now probably in the solid safe group looking to the postseason.

------

Eastern college hockey is interesting. They have a pack of good teams just below Ohio State and probably Wisconsin that can be streaky still. If someone knocks off Ohio State, the championship may be wide open to a half-dozen teams.

Last edited:

Former Gopher Grace Zumwinkle with a shorthanded goal for Team USA before the hometown crowd.

Otherwise, Team Canada several times shooters for Team Canada got open solo in the center facing the goaltender. They don't miss there. 6-1 Canada leading in th3d.rd.

Another first. The first trade in the PWHL.

PWHL Minnesota traded for the 2023 Patty Kazmaier Award winner Sophie Jaques, a defender who scores. PWHL Boston receives forward Susanna Tapani and defender Abby Cook.

Jacques is the best player, a nice get, but Minneaota paid a price. She played for Ohio State. She played Gophers here many times.

Player movement in the offseason will be interesting too.

Update, see link:

Another first. The first trade in the PWHL.

A bigger issue is that defenders are at a premium. If Jacques was playing well she would be a "cannot obtain" player at a position nobody wants to trade away. Minnesota is taking advantage of her stock being down. Will the value come back up?

Jacques is a blueliner who can score, or so we project.

Minnesota missed the run on defenders in the draft. Defenders are scarce.

Right now, short-term, I'd take the Boston side of the trade. Tapani is good, plus Boston received a defender.

We also don't know how trades and contracts will reshuffle teams in the offseason. One player I'd love PWHL Minnesota to obtain is defender Gabby Hughes from Minnesota who played for UMD. Would she have extra trade value to a team like Minnesota PWHL? But teams are unlikely to trade defenders because of the scarcity, so you can't trade for a defender.

Are top defenders impossible to obtain?

Minneaota longterm has a decent chance to backfill Tapani's forward position.

A bigger issue is that defenders are at a premium. If Jacques was playing well she would be a "cannot obtain" player at a position nobody wants to trade away. Minnesota is taking advantage of her stock being down. Will the value come back up?

Right now, short-term, I'd take the Boston side of the trade. Tapani is good, plus Boston received a defender.

We also don't know how trades and contracts will reshuffle teams in the offseason. One player I'd love PWHL Minnesota to obtain is defender Gabby Hughes from Minnesota who played for UMD. Would she have extra trade value to a team like Minnesota PWHL? But teams are unlikely to trade defenders because of the scarcity, so you can't trade for a defender.

Unless she has changed positions recently, Gabby Hughes is a forward.

Unless she has changed positions recently, Gabby Hughes is a forward.

You are completely right. She is a forward and thus not the unobtainable defense spot. Thanks for clarifying that for the few people who read this.

I still want Minneaota to trade for her which Ottowa would see as a trade asset having a double Minnesota connection. The offseason will be interesting. Would be the backfill to Tapani. But who does Minnesota give up?

And my bigger point is that Boston got the better deal immediately while I like Jacques as the better trade long term. And what do I know.

The Gophers have outstanding social media for all sports. I encourage people to follow that. Like Gophers signed the phenom Chloe Primerano.

EDIT, I updated the link.

What I then try to write is not that. Gophers already hit a grand slam with that. I am more interested in presenting a broader context for sport awareness and also opinions, including maybe bad takes and controvercy, which official social media will not do.

But do first follow Gophers coverage that is exceptional for Gopher sports.

Last edited:

Hensley was awful in the Rivalry Series, I hope Leveille gets a shot between the pipes.

The PWHL Minnesota vs. PWHL Toronto game on Tuesday, February 27 will take place at 3M Arena at Mariucci, home of the Minnesota Golden Gophers men's ice hockey team!

FYI: Sophie Jacques is from Toronto.

PWHL Minnesota vs. PWHL Toronto

Tuesday, February 27 at 7:00 PM

3M Arena at Mariucci

Most NHL players drafted take time before they are ready to play.

The PWHL-Minnesota trade for Sophie Jacques, drafted #10 overall by Boston, raises the issue of development teams for the PWHL -- the lack off them.

What happens to drafted players out of college, like the Gophers? What are expectations? What does the pipeline look like?

Gophers clash with Wisconsin this weekend at Madison.

Abbey Murphy leads the entire NCAA in goals.

For points in the WCHA, Wisconsin holds the top 3 spots and 6 of the 7 top spots.

1707794810432.png

Wham, Wisconsin can put up 5 goals quickly. But they occasionally aren't so high flying. Gophers can beat them if Badgers are not a barrage.

And they did. Gophers beat Wisconsin one game this season, a split. Both teams face a tough opponent.

The PWHL Minnesota vs. PWHL Toronto game on Tuesday, February 27 will take place at 3M Arena at Mariucci, home of the Minnesota Golden Gophers men's ice hockey team!

FYI: Sophie Jacques is from Toronto.

PWHL Minnesota vs. PWHL Toronto

Tuesday, February 27 at 7:00 PM

3M Arena at Mariucci

Tickets go on sale to the public on Feb. 15 at 2:00 p.m. and will be available via gophersports.com/tickets.

Fans can sign up online for PWHL Minnesota’s e-newsletter for priority access.

The Wisconsin Badgers were swept by Ohio State earlier this season.

"Ohio State wasted little time putting the Badgers on the back foot... Meanwhile, Wisconsin's dynamic offense crumbled into historic ineptitude, finishing with fewer than 20 shots..."

Wisconsin's explosive firepower doesn't always work. They are a menace, just not every period. Last season they fell apart mid-season. They were beat by Minnesota in the WCHA tournament before a good run after. Nobody is unbeatable in hockey.

RrrrrrEaDY tO RUmBLE!

SOLD OUT, is Gophers-Badgers at Madison.

Listen to the game free at this link:

Or watch on Big+ for a subscription lower in price than most.

Clash coming up
Can't get out
Can't run away
Badgers pout!

Drum roll.

Eyes roll. That was so bad.

Play the games.

Game of the Week

#2 Wisconsin (loaded firepower) vs #5 Minnesota (all-around plus goals leader)

Also

#4 Colgate (title contender) vs #14 Yale (the comeback kid)

#8 UMD vs #10 St Cloud State (battle for #4 in WCHA, UMD firmly in the lead)

Gopher Ella Huber got sent to the box for crosschecking Caroline Harvey in front of the Gophers net.

And.... Gophers kill the powerplay. Gophers have a tops penalty kill. Game tied, no score. Otherwise, it's not starting rough. Both teams can skate.

Top Bottom