Wisconsin football

Some are from here, many of them live here, the owners pay taxes here, and many former Vikings have retired here.

Sorry, who on the team is from here? Only part of the year, Zigi came here specifically because he thought he could get far more value from the tax man here than he would ever pay out. He was right. The taxpayers paid for the stadium which made the team he soley owns worth many times what he paid for it. NFL players used to live and retire here, I just don't think they do that anymore.

Last edited:

I see. So, in your mind, the same goes for all the other pro sports teams here as well?

More and more most every pro team now days. They are just paid gladiators who represent nothing but themselves. Players, coaches, owners, etc. I no longer see them as anything I can identify with in any way whatsoever. But, if see something in them to cheer about that is fine with me. I just don't.

Sorry, who on the team is from here? Only part of the year, Zigi came here specifically because he thought he could get far more value from the tax man here than he would ever pay out. He was right. The taxpayers paid for the stadium which made the team he soley owns worth many times what he paid for it. NFL players used to live and retire here, I just don't think they do that anymore.
Wide Receiver, Adam Thielen is from Detroit Lakes, also played college at Mankato State, you know that right? Fullback, C.J. Ham is also from Duluth, MN. Not trying to argue, I get what you’re saying, but there are a few MN born guys that end up playing for the Vikings and retire here and stay here the rest of their lives.

I know as a Minnesota fan I shouldn't post this, but I thought it was funny.

1579612902844.png

I enjoy Wi losing, but i swear some MN fans enjoy Wi losing more than MN winning

I enjoy Wi losing, but i swear some MN fans enjoy Wi losing more than MN winning
Yep. It's normally a sign of MN having a worse year. Which I guess you can argue that the Vikings did. But I would say the Gophers had a much better year than the Badgers (even without the conference championship). I'm fine celebrating our season. Don't need to celebrate theirs.

Yep. It's normally a sign of MN having a worse year. Which I guess you can argue that the Vikings did. But I would say the Gophers had a much better year than the Badgers (even without the conference championship). I'm fine celebrating our season. Don't need to celebrate theirs.
If it was flipped, would you say the same about Wisconsin?

Wide Receiver, Adam Thielen is from Detroit Lakes, also played college at Mankato State, you know that right? Fullback, C.J. Ham is also from Duluth, MN. Not trying to argue, I get what you’re saying, but there are a few MN born guys that end up playing for the Vikings and retire here and stay here the rest of their lives.

No, I am very low on knowledge about the Vikings. My comment was more a question than any statement of fact. Professional sports just lost me along the way. I can not identify with what it has become any more. Thank you for your information.

I do enjoy watching the Packers and Badgers (and the Bucks) lose as a Minnesota sports fan. I even have a respect for Andy Dalton to this day for taking down Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. Seeing the Badgers get destroyed in the 2014 B1G title game, watching the Packers lose in the NFC title matchups and seeing Wisconsin lose the title game in basketball vs Duke was all satisfying.

However, it's always a bit hard to gloat as a Minnesota fan. In the past 30 years at the college level they've had much more success, and the pro teams have definitely earned more hardware.
  • Badgers Football has won six conference titles and five division titles since 1990. They've been to seven Rose Bowls, winning three of them. They've also been to plenty of other NYD bowl games, including the Orange Bowl. They haven't had a losing season since 2001. They've had 17 ranked finishes, too.
  • Minnesota has earned just one shared division title this year. No Rose Bowl appearance. We've had just two 10+ win seasons in a few decades. The Gophers have had just three ranked finishes in the past 30 years. We still have more conference titles and obviously more national titles, but they've been hot for the past three decades.
  • Badgers Basketball has been to three Final Fours since 1990, and four Elite Eights, plus earned a trip to the title game. They've won four conference titles and three conference tournament championships. In their whole history, they have three pre-tournament national titles and one NCAA tournament title
  • Even including the vacated seasons, the Gophers have reached one Final Four, and two Elite Eights since 1990. They had one conference title in 1997 since 19990. In the whole history the Gophers have two pre-NCAA tournament national titles.
  • The one college area where Minnesota comes out in front is hockey. Including 1990, both teams have NCAA titles, but the Gophers have more trips to the Frozen Four. Plus in total, including pre-NCAA era, Minnesota has 7 national titles in hockey to Wisconsin's 6. It's still close.
  • Pro sports wise, the Packers have 11 NFL titles, although two of those were to get to the Super Bowl. So let's say they have nine NFL titles and four Super Bowl titles. They've also been to the Super Bowl five times. Plus, they have 19 division championships and 33 playoff berths.
  • The Vikings won the NFL title in 69, but again, it was more like the NFC title game. The Vikings went to four Super Bowls and lost them all. The one advantage is the Vikings have more division titles with 20, but have less playoff berths with 30.
  • Even in other sports, the Bucks for example have one NBA title, two conference titles and 14 division championships
  • The Timberwolves have just one division title.
  • The one area where Minnesota holds a major advantage is MLB. Not including the Washington Senators era, the Twins have two World Series, five AL Pennants and 11 division titles
  • The Brewers have no World Series championships, just one AL pennant in 1982 and four division titles.
Again, as fans of all Minnesota teams, I'd like to see Wisonsin teams lose and I'm always hopeful they're about to go on a decline, but there's no doubt those teams there have been successful.

Nah, it's just what fans of rivals do. You don't think Packers fans enjoyed seeing the Vikings get thumped by SF?

Nah, it's just what fans of rivals do. You don't think Packers fans enjoyed seeing the Vikings get thumped by SF?

Oh they do, I understand it goes both ways a bit, but sometimes it seems over the top

I've seen packer fans try to argue bears are their biggest rival, and yet I've seen them root for Chi to beat MN......

The Badgers and the Gophers play one game against each other. That is the only Wisconsin game I care about. Whether the Badgers win or lose does NOT impact the Gophers if they are not playing against each other. In some cases, whether the Badgers win or lose may impact the Division standings, and indirectly help or hurt the Gophers' chances of winning a division.

but, in the end, The Gophers control their own fate. Want to win a division? Beat the teams on your schedule, including WI.

I will say it again. if the Gophers beat the Badgers, then they can talk about WI. If WI beats the Gophers - as they did in 2019, Gopher fans should shut the bleep up about WI.

More and more most every pro team now days. They are just paid gladiators who represent nothing but themselves. Players, coaches, owners, etc. I no longer see them as anything I can identify with in any way whatsoever. But, if see something in them to cheer about that is fine with me. I just don't.
Tangential question: At what point do you consider people who move to MN from another state for a job or school "Minnesotans"?

Tangential question: At what point do you consider people who move to MN from another state for a job or school "Minnesotans"?

If they are not retired yet I think of them as Minnesotans when they live here full time except for vacation time away. When retired, if they live here six months of the year or more. If they lived or were born here and moved away except for a few months spent here in the summer they, in my mind, are official "former Minnesotans". Not all students at the U, for example, are Minnesotans, but all are Gophers. For voting purposes you don't have to live here at all, amazingly. Just own any property here.

I hate logging on to see Wisconsin in the title of any thread on the site!

If they are not retired yet I think of them as Minnesotans when they live here full time except for vacation time away. When retired, if they live here six months of the year or more. If they lived or were born here and moved away except for a few months spent here in the summer they, in my mind, are official "former Minnesotans". Not all students at the U, for example, are Minnesotans, but all are Gophers. For voting purposes you don't have to live here at all, amazingly. Just own any property here.
You have a lot of interesting rules.

This is such a loserville post. Haha these guys lost! After making it further or to a more prestigious game than us.

This is such a loserville post. Haha these guys lost! After making it further or to a more prestigious game than us.

I have to say as a Viking fan, I enjoyed the Packers loss Sunday more than any Minnesota victory this past season except maybe the one against the Cowboys.

The 49ers owned the Packers, game over by halftime. They drank their milkshake.

Last edited:

I have to say as a Viking fan, I enjoyed the Packers loss yesterday more than any Minnesota victory this past season except maybe the one against the Cowboys.

The 49ers owned the Packers, game over by halftime. They drank their milkshake.
You enjoyed it because of relief. If the Vikings had won in the Divisional round and the Packers had lost, the Vikings win would be way more enjoyable, though both would be nice.

"The one college area where Minnesota comes out in front is hockey. Including 1990, both teams have NCAA titles, but the Gophers have more trips to the Frozen Four. Plus in total, including pre-NCAA era, Minnesota has 7 national titles in hockey to Wisconsin's 6. It's still close. "

This is not so clear cut. I'm of the opinion that holding on to the pre NCAA titles to always say 7 > 6 is LAME. They also have a more recent title than us.

Right now, both programs SUCK.

You enjoyed it because of relief. If the Vikings had won in the Divisional round and the Packers had lost, the Vikings win would be way more enjoyable, though both would be nice.

Probably, but so what. Utter domination, 8 pass attempts and still put up 37 points. Awesome.

Saying that, I had already forgot about the Vikings ending the Saints season. I liked that at least as much as the NFC title game. Ending Peyton and Brees season is a bonus.

Oh for sure! The excitement of the Packers losing on Sunday was just like it would be had the Vikings won and gone to the Super Bowl.

I mean seriously people!

The Badgers and the Gophers play one game against each other. That is the only Wisconsin game I care about. Whether the Badgers win or lose does NOT impact the Gophers if they are not playing against each other. In some cases, whether the Badgers win or lose may impact the Division standings, and indirectly help or hurt the Gophers' chances of winning a division.

but, in the end, The Gophers control their own fate. Want to win a division? Beat the teams on your schedule, including WI.

I will say it again. if the Gophers beat the Badgers, then they can talk about WI. If WI beats the Gophers - as they did in 2019, Gopher fans should shut the bleep up about WI.

I'm not shutting up at all. They tell you all that matters is titles and they have very few.

When it's the packers, they count all 13 titles without fail.

When it's the gophers, they laugh if you talk about the gopher football titles, where many of them have come after many of the packer titles.

I just enjoy them saying it's only about championships, and they basically schit the bed all the time in championships.

Curious to know what you guys think. would you trade places with Wisconsin knowing you’d have had the same outcome? would you guys like to be in Wisconsin’s shoes losing the past 4 Rose Bowl appearances? Get embarrassed by OSU?

just wondering because honestly I think I’d rather not make it until I know we’ve got a real shot, and I don’t think getting to something and losing over and over really makes getting there feel too awesome.

Curious to know what you guys think. would you trade places with Wisconsin knowing you’d have had the same outcome? would you guys like to be in Wisconsin’s shoes losing the past 4 Rose Bowl appearances? Get embarrassed by OSU?

just wondering because honestly I think I’d rather not make it until I know we’ve got a real shot, and I don’t think getting to something and losing over and over really makes getting there feel too awesome.
And the Gophers wouldn't have gotten pounded by OSU? Hindsight is 20/20.

The challenging and interesting question would be: Would you trade football programs with them right now. Coaches, players, recruits.

And the Gophers wouldn't have gotten pounded by OSU? Hindsight is 20/20.

The challenging and interesting question would be: Would you trade football programs with them right now. Coaches, players, recruits.
No I said if we were given the same results as the Badgers have had, would you rather be them than the Gophers with the road they’ve gone down in that same timeframe?

I would answer you with a no. I think our trajectory seems much more exciting than theirs at this current spot. I feel like if next year is as good, or better, than this season was, then we’re going to be a very hot place for recruits. Wisconsin has had much better recruiting classes than us for quite some time, but hasn’t grabbed the ultimate prize of a national championship. My prediction is that we will make the CFP, and also win our national championship, before they win their first ever.

Top Bottom