Wisconsin fan sitting next to me

they're program was terrible when they had one. I don't really care about UW not having a baseball team.

...what about their program, though?

A student section chanting swear words is classless. I have no problem with giving hell to the opposition's players, coaches or even their fans... but to have a large group in unison swearing at someone is not a good look.

And.. I apologize in advance for potentially yelling, "hey Verdell, stick out your tongue now, you ******* ****sucker" during tomorrow's thrashing of II, II.

I was Badger fan when I attended U of M and left a Badger fan. Terrible fairweather, ignorant fans. The only gopher sport I cheer for is baseball. Only because I was on the team.
Wow, if you really were on the U baseball team...with fellow student-athletes like you, the U of MN athletes don't need enemies.

I was Badger fan when I attended U of M and left a Badger fan. Terrible fairweather, ignorant fans. The only gopher sport I cheer for is baseball. Only because I was on the team.

I'm a fairweather, ignorant fan?

Based on your comment, you aren't a fan because they're fairweather fans? Does that not make you a fairweather fan yourself, picking and choosing who to cheer for based on something arbitrary? Ironic.

If you pay for the tickets you can do whatever you want with them.

Ditto for that armpit of a state you call Minnesota. I was Badger fan when I attended U of M and left a Badger fan. Terrible fairweather, ignorant fans. The only gopher sport I cheer for is baseball. Only because I was on the team.

Wisconsin had even worse fairweather, ignorant fans before Barry. Ever here of the Don Morton years? Probably not because of when you graduated. I attended Wisky my first year of college. I was a huge fan dispite the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty programs. We would show up to the football games every week and the announced attendence would be in the low 40,000's. I remember the Northwestern game had something like 29,000 fans. The Badger games were a joke to the normal fair-weather fans you speak of. The Barry came and it all changed. I was also a huge Packer fan during the 70's and 80's and not many of the kids liked them. It was a joke until Favre. Badger Basketball was the same until the Michael Finley teams and then Bennett.

I run into morons all the time that spout off about how solid and dedicated Badger fans have been and they don't know *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. Their run has only happened in the last 15 years. Granted it's been better than most anything we've experienced unless you count some of the Clem years.

For full disclosure, I transferred to Minnie and graduated from the U of M, Huge Gopher Fan, can't stand Wisky (mostly because they are too serious). I love to talk smack with fans of any team that understand the game (not many of those)I never understood any moron that comes here and goes to school yet cheers for another team. It's your Alma Matter. Most fans are idiots. Unless your name is on the back of the jersey your cheers and or jeers should be short lived. I remember getting all bent out of shape for days after events but that was when I was 10 years old.

Another thing. The dip*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#s on this board that get pissed about what people who own seats do with their tix is pathetic. If you want seats buy them. The reason there are fans of opposing teams at the barn or TCF is simple. The locals don't want to go.

Ditto for that armpit of a state you call Minnesota

Please don't tell me you're saying Minnesota is less of a state than Wisconsin...that would be just downright nonsense

Please don't tell me you're saying Minnesota is less of a state than Wisconsin...that would be just downright nonsense

Exactly, Wisconsin's economy is nothing like this metro. We have a ton of fortune 500 companies that are still functioning ok in this economy. Wisconsin has a bunch of paper mills that have been bought out by foreign competition and then they lay off most of the workers. They have Harley Davidson which is getting pounded. They do have some companies like Manitowoc and Case and Deer that provides equipment oversees but we have a lot more. That's why we have so many of Wisky's graduates working here in the financials or Medical device or retailers. It's so bad that Sallys quarters off half of their bar for Badger alumni.

Exactly, Wisconsin's economy is nothing like this metro. We have a ton of fortune 500 companies that are still functioning ok in this economy. Wisconsin has a bunch of paper mills that have been bought out by foreign competition and then they lay off most of the workers. They have Harley Davidson which is getting pounded. They do have some companies like Manitowoc and Case and Deer that provides equipment oversees but we have a lot more. That's why we have so many of Wisky's graduates working here in the financials or Medical device or retailers. It's so bad that Sallys quarters off half of their bar for Badger alumni.

Excellent synopsis. Do you by chance work for the WSJ? I'd like to hear more about the oversees business that Deer does.

I need to start asking this, because so often I'm hoping these folks can't be real.. but, steffyboy, did you go to the University of Minnesota and graduate? If so, what did you study?

You clearly don't know what you are talking about. If those are your only examples of companies in WI you are absolutely ignorant. Do a little more research pal.

I'm a fairweather, ignorant fan?

Based on your comment, you aren't a fan because they're fairweather fans? Does that not make you a fairweather fan yourself, picking and choosing who to cheer for based on something arbitrary? Ironic.

No I stuck to my roots for the teams I cheer for. Once a Badger fan, always a Badger fan. In general Minnesota fans suck. They stick with the teams during the good times and dissappear during the bad. Exact definition of a fairweather fan. Pathetic.

Wisconsin had even worse fairweather, ignorant fans before Barry. Ever here of the Don Morton years? Probably not because of when you graduated. I attended Wisky my first year of college. I was a huge fan dispite the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty programs. We would show up to the football games every week and the announced attendence would be in the low 40,000's. I remember the Northwestern game had something like 29,000 fans. The Badger games were a joke to the normal fair-weather fans you speak of. The Barry came and it all changed. I was also a huge Packer fan during the 70's and 80's and not many of the kids liked them. It was a joke until Favre. Badger Basketball was the same until the Michael Finley teams and then Bennett.

I run into morons all the time that spout off about how solid and dedicated Badger fans have been and they don't know *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#. Their run has only happened in the last 15 years. Granted it's been better than most anything we've experienced unless you count some of the Clem years.

For full disclosure, I transferred to Minnie and graduated from the U of M, Huge Gopher Fan, can't stand Wisky (mostly because they are too serious). I love to talk smack with fans of any team that understand the game (not many of those)I never understood any moron that comes here and goes to school yet cheers for another team. It's your Alma Matter. Most fans are idiots. Unless your name is on the back of the jersey your cheers and or jeers should be short lived. I remember getting all bent out of shape for days after events but that was when I was 10 years old.

Another thing. The dip*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#s on this board that get pissed about what people who own seats do with their tix is pathetic. If you want seats buy them. The reason there are fans of opposing teams at the barn or TCF is simple. The locals don't want to go.

I'll concede on the Morton years.

Yes, Minnie is my alma mater. However I was a Badger fan long before I went to Minnie on a baseball scholarship. do I have a soft spot in my heart for the Gophs? Sure. But I'll never leave my true love of UW. Like it or not, that's how it is with me.

And what do you mean by Wisky fans are too serious?

I'll concede on the Morton years.

Yes, Minnie is my alma mater. However I was a Badger fan long before I went to Minnie on a baseball scholarship. do I have a soft spot in my heart for the Gophs? Sure. But I'll never leave my true love of UW. Like it or not, that's how it is with me.

And what do you mean by Wisky fans are too serious?

My point was that in the recent history of Badger sports there were a ton of fair-weather fans that jumped the on the wagon big. The Morton era was a prime example. Even before with McClain they didn't even come close to selling out. That era was similar to a Mason Gopher era.

I've heard many proud Badger grads or supporters talk about how they have sold out Camp Randal forever and this isn't even close to being true until 95.

When I called Badger fans too serious I'm talking about most of Wisconsin's general support. You have most fans that know little about the sport or think they know what they are talking about and use it as a vice to party. Some of the fans are smart but many more are just drunken idiots. I like a cocktail like the rest of them but I at least attempt to be somewhat informed as to what I'm celebrating about. We generally don't have that here in Minnie unless you are talking Vikings. Going to a Vikes game is like taking in a WWF cage match. Not exciting for me but the general fans seem to get off on it. I think this montra would be true of most colleges that had strong programs. We just don't have this at Minnesota. Basketball is getting there. I would love to see it in football.

The thing I laugh about on these boards is that minus the success or decline of the programs I think the states are pretty similar with the exception of Minnesota catering to a ton of Wisconsin graduates for employment. I like to party with the Wisky fans or Gopher fans alike.

Odds that Gopheralum:

a. Attended the University of Minnesota 20:1
b. Graduated from the University of Minnesota 200:1
c. Was a scholarship member of the University of Minnesota baseball team 1,000,000:1

No I stuck to my roots for the teams I cheer for. Once a Badger fan, always a Badger fan. In general Minnesota fans suck. They stick with the teams during the good times and dissappear during the bad. Exact definition of a fairweather fan. Pathetic.

So I'm a pathetic, fairweather fan? I've always been a Gopher fan and it's not easy. Every legit fan on this site is 100x a fan than any current Badger fan. We've had to endure more sh!t over the years than most programs. Don't confuse fairweather fans with beaten down fans. Yet we get up after a punch and keep going. That's anything but fairweather.

Fairweather are the thousands and thousands of Badger fans that will jump ship faster than you can say "5th helping of fried cheese" when their teams start going downhill. It was pretty funny how easy it has been to get tickets in Madison over the years for Badger events when the team is even slightly down. I know Badger fans better than most on this board and there are sooooo many fence sitters it's not unlike any other school. I spent 6 years living in Madison recently and despite much success during those years for BB, FB, and hockey, the couple of down years brought the bandwagon jumpers out of the woodwork. "Fire Beliema!!!" "Screw Eaves!!!" "Bo can't recruit!!" Also loved how all of a sudden the past 3 years everyone is now a Brewers fan. Funny how that worked. How bout them Bucks? Went to a game 2 years ago at the Bradley Center and it was a morgue, yet just 6 years previous to that they were selling out the place. Why? Because they were winning.

Get off your high horse and take off your homer glasses and you're realize that it's not the quality of the fan that's the difference. It's the quality of the teams. The Twins have played in the crappiest of ballparks and still drew almost 30k fans/game last year. This year, because of the new park and high expectations, they'll sell out most if not all games, which by your logic means Minnesota fans > Wisconsin fans, which would be incorrect. Strip out the fence sitters in Wisconsin and they're as many passionate fans in Wisconsin as there are in Minnesota.

This pathetic, fairweather fan still owns a pair of FB season tickets while living 1200 miles away from TCF Bank Stadium and spends a boat load of cash just on flights to see my Gophers in action. Guilty as charged.

My point was that in the recent history of Badger sports there were a ton of fair-weather fans that jumped the on the wagon big. The Morton era was a prime example. Even before with McClain they didn't even come close to selling out. That era was similar to a Mason Gopher era.

It is true it wasn't sold out, but at the same time they drew pretty well.

You're really comparing the McClain years to the Mason years? You must mean on record only. UW's wins and attendance in the McClain years.

'78: 5, 71,443
'79: 4, 73,979
'80: 4, 71,360
'81: 7, 71,640
'82: 7, 71,060
'83: 7, 69,787
'84: 7, 74,681
'85: 5, 71,613

Capacity during these years was 76,129.

Contrast this to the Mason years:

1997 3, 44,898 (UW game 57,563)
1998 5, 41,642 (Iowa 50,640)
1999 8, 45,441 (UW 63,108)
2000 6, 47,352 (NW 59,004)
2001 4, 43,485 (UW 55,890)
2002 8, 41,785 (Iowa 65,184)
2003 10, 44,148 (Michigan (62,374)
2004 7, 47,573 (Iowa 64,719)
2005 7, 49,024 (UW 65,089)
2006 6, 52,206 (Iowa 64,140)

Capacity during these years was 64,172.

So despite averaging more wins (6.4 to 5.6) and having the advantage of neighbors swelling the attendance 1 game every year, Mason's teams drew less people in both absolute and percentage terms.

Even for the Morton years and Barry's 1st year, when the average win total was 1.75, the attendance average 50,328.

There is absolutely no fair comparison between WI economics and MN economics. MN wins that every single time. Just look at the difference between Minneapolis - St. Paul and Milwaukee. Milwaukee is a dump. There is a reason that Minneapolis is consistently ranked as one of the top five metro areas to live....great industry, low crime rates, great schools, and best health care around. Milwaukee....don't think so.

I love visiting Madison, great area. But MN vs. WI....not even close.

NEWSBREAK!!! There was a nuclear holocaust in Milwaukee, destroyed the whole city. All 5 humans dead, uncountable numbers of animals dead, everything destroyed, did $38 total damage.

It is true it wasn't sold out, but at the same time they drew pretty well.

You're really comparing the McClain years to the Mason years? You must mean on record only. UW's wins and attendance in the McClain years.

'78: 5, 71,443
'79: 4, 73,979
'80: 4, 71,360
'81: 7, 71,640
'82: 7, 71,060
'83: 7, 69,787
'84: 7, 74,681
'85: 5, 71,613

Capacity during these years was 76,129.

Contrast this to the Mason years:

1997 3, 44,898 (UW game 57,563)
1998 5, 41,642 (Iowa 50,640)
1999 8, 45,441 (UW 63,108)
2000 6, 47,352 (NW 59,004)
2001 4, 43,485 (UW 55,890)
2002 8, 41,785 (Iowa 65,184)
2003 10, 44,148 (Michigan (62,374)
2004 7, 47,573 (Iowa 64,719)
2005 7, 49,024 (UW 65,089)
2006 6, 52,206 (Iowa 64,140)

Capacity during these years was 64,172.

So despite averaging more wins (6.4 to 5.6) and having the advantage of neighbors swelling the attendance 1 game every year, Mason's teams drew less people in both absolute and percentage terms.

Even for the Morton years and Barry's 1st year, when the average win total was 1.75, the attendance average 50,328.

Yes I was reffering to record mostly, and was surprised to see the numbers so close to capicity. Actually Mason probably had a little more success (granted the easy non conference schedule).

I remember going to Wisconsin games during that tenure and the place not looking sold out. Anyway, good research.

You're the kind of fan I can't stand, the kind who brings his Badger "friend" to the game.

Quite honestly - if all Gopher fans were like Selection Sunday, we'd have the strongest fanbase in the nation. It's kind of Junior high to not be friends with someone because they went to a different college and cheer for a different school. Giving a ticket to a friend is completely different than things that have really bothered me, like letting groups of Badger fans reserve rows in the student section.

As a matter of fact, it if wasn't for friendship with Badger fans, I wouldn't have been able to attend at least one game at the Kohl center, my guy, DCTRC hooked me up with tickets one year.

Oh - and for the record, Pewterschmidt is about as solid as it gets too. There's no doubt that there are a lot of fairweather Gopher fans, but the people that post on this board are generally not ones.

Quite honestly - if all Gopher fans were like Selection Sunday, we'd have the strongest fanbase in the nation. It's kind of Junior high to not be friends with someone because they went to a different college and cheer for a different school. Giving a ticket to a friend is completely different than things that have really bothered me, like letting groups of Badger fans reserve rows in the student section.

As a matter of fact, it if wasn't for friendship with Badger fans, I wouldn't have been able to attend at least one game at the Kohl center, my guy, DCTRC hooked me up with tickets one year.

Oh - and for the record, Pewterschmidt is about as solid as it gets too. There's no doubt that there are a lot of fairweather Gopher fans, but the people that post on this board are generally not ones.

The Barn is our house. It's our home court advantage. More Badgers at the Barn results in less home court advantage and less chance of winning. Why would you knowingly hurt our home court advantage by giving tickets to the other team? It might only be one person but it only takes a few hundred opposing fans to put a dent in our home court advantage.

I have plenty of Badger friends, but they can watch the badgers at Kohl Center or at home on their couch. If we want to have fun together, we go to a bar. I don't want to help the opposing team have any help winning in our house.

The Barn is our house. It's our home court advantage. More Badgers at the Barn results in less home court advantage and less chance of winning. Why would you knowingly hurt our home court advantage by giving tickets to the other team? It might only be one person but it only takes a few hundred opposing fans to put a dent in our home court advantage.

I have plenty of Badger friends, but they can watch the badgers at Kohl Center or at home on their couch. If we want to have fun together, we go to a bar. I don't want to help the opposing team have any help winning in our house.

You remind me of a middle school kid.

Top Bottom