Willis to Grad Transfer from Minnesota

My biggest concern with Greenlee is his ball-handling. In his limited minutes, he did ok, but there was little pressure because it was mostly garbage time when he played. There were a couple of times where he looked very shaky with the ball. I don’t mind a low-ranked kid at PG to give your starter some rest, but he better have great handles. Hope I’m wrong on what I saw.
I could be wrong...but I bet Greenlee has amazing handles in drills and practice. When your playing time is usually nonexistent and now your chance comes to see the court but as a player you know the coach is being forced to put you in the game...he doesn’t want to play you but Carr has foul issues or he needs an IV from exhaustion...and coach says: “Try not to screw up again.” You might look a little shaky too.
And in garbage time you cannot determine anything. There are no whistles...refs wanna go home. You are playing with other nervous teammates. That’s never gonna be pretty basketball.
Greenlee played at a basketball factory on a state championship team in high school. He was the floor general for his team. He’s capable given a role and some real confidence and responsibility from his coach.
That’s my belief on Greenlee. He’s not Carr...different player...the offense would need more of a five man plan than Carr dominating the ball. Asking Greenlee to mirror Carr’s strengths and dominate the ball wouldn’t work.

I could be wrong...but I bet Greenlee has amazing handles in drills and practice. When your playing time is usually nonexistent and now your chance comes to see the court but as a player you know the coach is being forced to put you in the game...he doesn’t want to play you but Carr has foul issues or he needs an IV from exhaustion...and coach says: “Try not to screw up again.” You might look a little shaky too.
And in garbage time you cannot determine anything. There are no whistles...refs wanna go home. You are playing with other nervous teammates. That’s never gonna be pretty basketball.
Greenlee played at a basketball factory on a state championship team in high school. He was the floor general for his team. He’s capable given a role and some real confidence and responsibility from his coach.
That’s my belief on Greenlee. He’s not Carr...different player...the offense would need more of a five man plan than Carr dominating the ball. Asking Greenlee to mirror Carr’s strengths and dominate the ball wouldn’t work.
This could very well be the case. I hope you are right. If so, he can play an important backup role on the team.

It is sad how so many people have piled on assuming that Greenlee is a recruiting miss. He is a young freshman that didn’t get much PT. Pitino had a couple of older guys (Carr and Willis) that were ahead of him in the pecking order, and both of them needed time in our system. Greenlee just needs more time to develop. He was scrappy, scoring PG in HS.

I hope the Greenlee situation doesn't turn into another Justin Cobbs situation. Cobbs got much more time than Greenlee, but also seemed to have a bit of a short leash. Cobbs transferred out and was a Cousy Award finalist at Cal. I'm not saying Greenlee is as good as Cobbs, but it's not unheard of to look shaky with decision-making as a freshman and still manage to develop into a quality (or even a very good) player. Greenlee shows quickness and toughness in flashes. He may still become an important contributor before it's all said and done.

I hope the Greenlee situation doesn't turn into another Justin Cobbs situation. Cobbs got much more time than Greenlee, but also seemed to have a bit of a short leash. Cobbs transferred out and was a Cousy Award finalist at Cal. I'm not saying Greenlee is as good as Cobbs, but it's not unheard of to look shaky with decision-making as a freshman and still manage to develop into a quality (or even a very good) player. Greenlee shows quickness and toughness in flashes. He may still become an important contributor before it's all said and done.
I think Greenlee will transfer after next season. Hopefully I’m wrong but I can’t imagine that he gets much PT behind Carr and Mashburn Jr. It wouldn’t be the end of the world though, we could always add another PG to the 2021 class.

Just my two cents. Maybe he works his ass off this summer and is able to earn some time on the court. I think either way we’re fine but it would be nice to see the kid develop into a solid backup PG.

It is sad how so many people have piled on assuming that Greenlee is a recruiting miss. He is a young freshman that didn’t get much PT. Pitino had a couple of older guys (Carr and Willis) that were ahead of him in the pecking order, and both of them needed time in our system. Greenlee just needs more time to develop. He was scrappy, scoring PG in HS.
So was he a gym rat also?

People make this assumption because it's easily the most likely outcome.

I'm sure Greenlee is a nice kid and a hard worker. But he was an extremely late take and we were his only high major offer. Odds are he'll never make a big impact here.

So I guess he is going with the "tons of playing time angle". Looks like they had a 6'3" G, Grant Riller, average 34 mpg and score 22 ppg who graduated. I hope he ends his career well. Unless we land a Walton, I think we will be the worse for it this year.

Last edited:

I can certainly understand why someone would want to close out their college career in Charleston.

Hope he does well. He can shoot the ball and should see a lot more opportunity to do that there.

Not really. He had plenty of high major suitors and offers. You can tell he wanted something else.
Interest and offers are two different things. We aren’t going to agree on this but I think we will be able to replace and improve

Not really. He had plenty of high major suitors and offers. You can tell he wanted something else.
Schools reaching out to him are not offers. That said, I think he could have gotten offers from majors but no assurance of a big role as he feels he has at Charleston.

Interest and offers are two different things. We aren’t going to agree on this but I think we will be able to replace and improve

I think we could replace and improve as well. Just saying he’s not going to Charleston because that was his only option. He was a competent/average B1G wing last year. He cannot be a high volume scorer at that level however and it seems that might be what he wanted.

I think we could replace and improve as well. Just saying he’s not going to Charleston because that was his only option. He was a competent/average B1G wing last year. He cannot be a high volume scorer at that level however and it seems that might be what he wanted.
I think his was a liability defensively against any quality player.

This isn't a huge loss. Poor defensive player and basically a spot up shooter. He profiles as a good bench player to get 10-12 minutes a game on most teams. That said, I don't like losing shooters period, especially on a team that doesn't have many/any.

College of Charleston sounds about right.

was never productive enough to warrant starting for a high major program

While I don't think Willis was great by any means, kinda sad to see him go. Yeah I get this helps us with roster construction and filling it out *hopefully* in a way that puts us in a spot to compete better. But he didn't get in trouble, played hard, and played under control.

Obviously, I would be happy to sacrifice those things if it means more wins next year. Time will tell.

What are minimum production requirements then? Somebody has to be the 4th scorer.
For a starting Guard 8.9 points on an average of 8.3 shots a game does not cut it from a scoring efficiency perspective . 1.9 assists does not cut from a lead guard perspective, .5 steals usually does not cut from a defensive perspective.

Top Bottom