Willis to Grad Transfer from Minnesota

Blah. 2 steps forward. One step back. I don't get this.

Not really a big deal, it opens another scholarship to use on Walton or Peterson

I did wonder about whether he would do this some time ago because this was his 4th year. He will find a place somewhere. He's good enough for a grad transfer. I'd rather the team find someone else and give that person a try anyway.

This definitely implies we have another player coming... The question is if its Walton, Peterson or a wildcard.

Stop and think about this.

If the NCAA approves the rule that would allow players to transfer once with no penalty and not have to sit out a year, what the Gophers are going through this year will be the norm, not the exception.

there will be near-constant roster churn for everyone except the real blue-bloods. And even the Dukes and Kentucky's of the world could be impacted. Some HS hot-shot goes to KY, doesn't get the playing time they want, and boom, there they go.

roster management and managing scholarships will be even tougher.

On the flip side, schools will have opportunities to remake their rosters and improve themselves if they can adapt to the new rules. It all comes down to trying to find a way where the gains outweigh the losses.

It’s absolutely a big deal to lose a very likely starter. Doubt Kerwin would have started over him and Peterson may have to sit out.

this is a big blow, no other way to spin it.

The fact this is just coming out now does seem to imply this was a push. If it was always Willis' intention to transfer, why not announce a couple weeks ago? Neither of the guys that have committed this week would impact Willis' playing time. Will be interesting to see what is next.

It’s absolutely a big deal to lose a very likely starter. Doubt Kerwin would have started over him and Peterson may have to sit out.

Have to disagree with this. If Kerwin stays home, he’s starting whether Willis was here or not. Similarly to Dupree, I would assume he would have moved to a sixth man role. I don’t think we saw anything from Willis to suggest he was a nailed on starter. With Johnson coming in, Ihnen may have even pushed Willis at the 3.

I like Walton over Willis except when it comes to playing the lead guard

If either has to be a lead guard consistently, we're in trouble. Monster Mash Jr can handle the ball when Carr is out. This all assumes Carr is back.

I'm with you unless we of course get someone better, which is very possible. What Willis brought more than anything was another ball handler that this team desperately needed/needs.

Bummer, I liked Willis. Thought he could have a very good year for the Gophers next season.

The fact this is just coming out now does seem to imply this was a push. If it was always Willis' intention to transfer, why not announce a couple weeks ago? Neither of the guys that have committed this week would impact Willis' playing time. Will be interesting to see what is next.

I think it's a combination of a few things:

1. Willis knows Carr will be certainly be back - eliminating a guard spot for playing time
2. Willis knows how the coaches view Ihnen's (and to a lesser extent) Williams' development and growth - playing time already guaranteed to be a challenge for next season
3. Willis sees what other wings/guards the Gophers are still in on recruiting for next year - further confirmation that they don't view him as a lock to start next year

Have to disagree with this. If Kerwin stays home, he’s starting whether Willis was here or not. Similarly to Dupree, I would assume he would have moved to a sixth man role. I don’t think we saw anything from Willis to suggest he was a nailed on starter. With Johnson coming in, Ihnen may have even pushed Willis at the 3.
Maybe not, Pitino’s just probably making room for Hurt that’s all. Greenlee will for Walton next?

My first thought as well. Pitino has no history of this so hope it isnt the case.

I think it's a combination of a few things:

1. Willis knows Carr will be certainly be back - eliminating a guard spot for playing time
2. Willis knows how the coaches view Ihnen's (and to a lesser extent) Williams' development and growth - playing time already guaranteed to be a challenge for next season
3. Willis sees what other wings/guards the Gophers are still in on recruiting for next year - further confirmation that they don't view him as a lock to start next year

Well, there are also other alternatives. Willis, as an experienced grad transfer, believes he can get a scholarship at a program and 1) would like to try to join a program he believes has better prospects for next season OR 2) he's not that crazy about staying here and would like to try somewhere else. I believe that this program now has pretty good prospects for next season even without Daniel but that doesn't mean Willis wants to stay here if he can go somewhere else. I think Willis' chance of playing good minutes are better here than many other places.

My first thought as well. Pitino has no history of this so hope it isnt the case.

Could be. Or maybe he didnt know if he was going to graduate a couple of weeks ago. Pitino doesnt have a history of this, and until proven otherwise, I dont believe Pitino pushed him out. (Not saying Pitino didnt do a fist pump when Willis left the room)

Top Bottom