Will Minnesota Beat Wisconsin?

Will Minnesota Beat Wisconsin and End the 11 Year Streak?

• Yes, Minnesota will beat Wisconsin.

Votes: 56 52.3%
  • No, Wisconsin will beat Minnesota.

Votes: 51 47.7%

• Total voters
Iowa 2010.

There's no reason a motivated team of solid, veteran players can't beat an above average team at home on senior day in cold temps. Even if all is lost.
The key will be health and development of certain young players.

We have no idea who will be healthy or effective by that time. Someone random like Melvin Holland could have the light turn on and become a force(McKnight did late in 2009), Leidner could go down in one of these games and Croft could be called upon to finish the year, or the team could simply get incrementally healthier minus the ones lost for the year.

Play a mistake free game and force your will upon wisky at home and I think we'll be right in there for a W.

Iowa 2010.

There's no reason a motivated team of solid, veteran players can't beat an above average team at home on senior day in cold temps. Even if all is lost.
The key will be health and development of certain young players.

We have no idea who will be healthy or effective by that time. Someone random like Melvin Holland could have the light turn on and become a force(McKnight did late in 2009), Leidner could go down in one of these games and Croft could be called upon to finish the year, or the team could simply get incrementally healthier minus the ones lost for the year.

Play a mistake free game and force your will upon wisky at home and I think we'll be right in there for a W.
How does one force their will upon another team with the o-line that the Gophers have?

How does one force their will upon another team with the o-line that the Gophers have?

Before that Iowa 2010 game we had 5 "healthy" O-linemen against the Illinois. TE Tiree Eure had a lineman number ready to go in case he needed to fill in.

Pirsig, Lauer, Bjorkland, and Christensen could heal up a bit. Campion and Bobek are assumed lost, but who knows. C. Mayes and Moore will get better with more experience.

Alot can happen between then and now. In cold weather with little to play for but pride both teams have the ability to fold up or play with nothing to lose.
There are many examples over the years of bad teams or teams with lost seasons winning in their final game by playing with emotion and determination.

Before that Iowa 2010 game we had 5 "healthy" O-linemen against the Illinois. TE Tiree Eure had a lineman number ready to go in case he needed to fill in.

Pirsig, Lauer, Bjorkland, and Christensen could heal up a bit. Campion and Bobek are assumed lost, but who knows. C. Mayes and Moore will get better with more experience.

Alot can happen between then and now. In cold weather with little to play for but pride both teams have the ability to fold up or play with nothing to lose.
There are many examples over the years of bad teams or teams with lost seasons winning in their final game by playing with emotion and determination.
Ok since there are many examples I could use some.
I don't see how Minnesota comes out of the Michigan O$U Iowa stretch in better shape then they are in now.
I would guess Wisconsin would be playing with emotion and determination as well.

I'll say this Kill and co talked this game up a lot in the preseason. It almost seemed like they cared more about it than winning the West. They'll get our best shot no matter the circumstances, get the impression if there's one game or Brick jerry wants to get it's Wisconsin. He does not want to be 0-5 and odds are like Iowa in 2000 and 2006 we may be playing for our Bowl lives. Guessing this group seniors don't want to end their careers by losing the Axe

Yes, when hell freezes over. Seriously, I see it as a toss up game. However, if the Gophers lose, I hope that Kill does not "get the axe". :(

If the defense was healthy.....I could see us breaking the streak this year. However.....with the injuries mounting.....and the poor showing against Nebraska last Saturday.....I don't have whole lot of confidence.

He needs to win this game. You can't go 0 for 5 against your main rival (especially when two of those years have involved them playing with a new head coach).

They'll get our best shot no matter the circumstances,

Well, we all hope that the team plays its best football, win or lose, after the break. If not, it's "best shot" may resemble a 32 caliber slug bouncing off a tank.

I look at this in terms of Economies of Scale. More simply put, which team has the greater performance variation this year.

And the win goes to Wisconsin. They have not had nearly the on field performance variances that the Gophers have. You can argue injuries until the cows come home, but that means the Gophers don't have the depth Wisconsin does. I add to that the fact that the Gophers respond poorly to bulletin board material, whereas Wisconsin gets more motivated.

I look at this in terms of Economies of Scale. More simply put, which team has the greater performance variation this year.

And the win goes to Wisconsin. They have not had nearly the on field performance variances that the Gophers have. You can argue injuries until the cows come home, but that means the Gophers don't have the depth Wisconsin does. I add to that the fact that the Gophers respond poorly to bulletin board material, whereas Wisconsin gets more motivated.

we have a game plan for a TE as QB.

The biggest thing is I hope they haven't figured out their Oline because its a mess right now.

Yeah it is. It's similar to ours in being really banged up basically from the start of the season. There's no continuity there just like with us. I think they said during the game that this was the fifth different starting configuration of offensive linemen in Sconnies last five games. The way this season has gone, it might just come down to attrition. Whoever is least hobbled at the time just might win the game.

Whether we go undefeated from now until this game or we lose out from now until this game my thoughts won't change much: this is a bitter rivalry that can bring about unpredictable play from either team. These are the types of games that coaches (probably Kill more so than Chryst right now) scheme for beginning in February. I'm just hoping my beer doesn't freeze during the tailgate like 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whether we go undefeated from now until this game or we lose out from now until this game my thoughts won't change much: this is a bitter rivalry that can bring about unpredictable play from either team. These are the types of games that coaches (probably Kill more so than Chryst right now) scheme for beginning in February. I'm just hoping my beer doesn't freeze during the tailgate like 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What exactly has been "unpredictable" about the outcome of this match-up over the last 11 years, or really, the last 20?

I know that's a popular rivalry week line, but it really hasn't applied to ours.

What exactly has been "unpredictable" about the outcome of this match-up over the last 11 years, or really, the last 20?

I know that's a popular rivalry week line, but it really hasn't applied to ours.

The NE game is/was exactly how every better team has beat the gophs in the last 20 yrs. Gophs may play well but the thumps keep comin and the opponent eventually scores >35 pts.

It has against Iowa.

Apropos of nothing, economies of scale and performance variation aren't two different ways of saying the same thing.

Oh, my bad. I could have sworn the poster was talking about the UMN/UW match-up in a UMN vs UW thread.

You said "I know that's a popular rivalry week line, but it really hasn't applied to ours." I assumed by that comment that you were talking about all of our rivalries.

Edit: My bad. I would have understood your comment a little better if I would have known you were a Badgers fan pretending to be a Gophers fan.

You said "I know that's a popular rivalry week line, but it really hasn't applied to ours." I assumed by that comment that you were talking about all of our rivalries.

Edit: My bad. I would have understood your comment a little better if you weren't a Badgers fan pretending to be a Gophers fan.

He is not particularly good at pretending to be a Gophers fan either. There is a certain skill involved to avoid being outed so quickly.

The simple answer to the question at hand is no.

He is not particularly good at pretending to be a Gophers fan either. There is a certain skill involved to avoid being outed so quickly.

The simple answer to the question at hand is no.

Over 1,100 posts on a rival team's message board? Obsessed. You should do something better with your time, like go walk into traffic.

Top Bottom