Why Is Everyone So Excited?

I am for the Fleck move. I just don't get how we can state how great of a head coach Claeys was.

The staff he didn't hire he inherited. Expect for the offense this year which got worse. Most of the players as well. His one recruiting class was also worse.

Claeys is a good to great coordinator that is all I can say.

Basically it all comes down to what you want in a head coach. I want a face of the program and leave the Xs and Os to the coordinators.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Both bolded parts are not factual. the offense improved (it was more boring but it out gained and out scored ) also on the recruiting guess his one class was the top in recent years;.

coach-num year Scout Rival Rival num ESPN 247 stars 247 ESPN Num

Kill-4 24 2015 2.63 2.71 5.50 3.00 2.88 83.04 74.48
Claeys-1182016 2.95 2.70 5.54 3.11 2.95 84.72 75.00

I am disappointed Claeys was fired as I felt the program was heading in the right direction. That being said, PJ Fleck will be able to recruit based on the press conference. Very captivating for young people.

The GopherHole has abhorred Kill/Claeys recruiting because they signed many kids that only had MAC offers. We flip 6+ kids committed to a MAC school and everyone is elated. Help me understand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headed in the right direction??? We were right in the middle of the B1G with the easiest schedule we will ever have!!! I guess I have higher hopes than middle of the B1G being a good year for the Gophers....

Both bolded parts are not factual. the offense improved (it was more boring but it out gained and out scored ) also on the recruiting guess his one class was the top in recent years;.

coach-numyearScoutRivalRival numESPN247 stars247ESPN Num

Kill-42420152.632.715.503.002.8883.0474.48
Claeys-11820162.952.705.543.112.9584.7275.00
I was looking more 2015 to 2017 as 2016 was as much recruited by Kill as Claeys. So I was comparing 2015 to when Claeys was fired in 2017

coach-num year Scout Rival Rival num ESPN 247 stars 247 ESPN Num

Kill-4 24 2015 2.63 2.71 5.50 3.00 2.88 83.04 74.48
Claeys-1182016 2.95 2.70 5.54 3.11 2.95 84.72 75.00

Depends on what you're using for metrics.

As someone else mentioned in the D-coordinator thread there are better metrics than strictly total offense or PPG. S&P ranking of the Gophers offense the last 3 years:

2014: 44
2015: 58
2016: 84

I can't speak for anybody else, but I'm excited because I'm a fan of the Gophers...

Aside from that, I like that the U ponied up the cash to pay a real B1G salary.
I like the results Fleck has had in limited time.
I like what he's preaching and I believe he's sincere when I watch him speak.
I am encouraged and hopeful that he'll keep some of this staff around (*cough* Jay Sawvel *cough*).
He reminds me a lot of Pitino and that is working out well so far in year 3.
We are getting new facilities next year.
He's got that new coach smell, and that is always exciting as a fan.
MAC recruits or not, he's flipped 6 kids in a day. A day. That's crazy. I think we'll be a consistent top 25 recruiting team once he has a full season to recruit.

It's year 4 for Pitino....year three didn't work out so well for him.

It was a 9-win season, but only because of the bowl win. That is something I'll give Claeys credit for, going 2-0 in bowl games when we had lost the previous seven with the last win coming in 2004.

But it was still only an 8-win regular season. I know that's about as good as we've done at Minnesota dating back to the 1900s (with exception to Mason' 9-win regular season in 2003), but I'd like to think we can be better than that as a program. And I think Coyle believes we can be better than that too.

I want a face of the program and leave the Xs and Os to the coordinators.

I would say we are paying a heck of a lot of money if all you want is a pretty face. I sure hope he can coach, not just look good!

I am for the Fleck move. I just don't get how we can state how great of a head coach Claeys was.

The staff he didn't hire he inherited. Expect for the offense this year which got worse. Most of the players as well. His one recruiting class was also worse.

Claeys is a good to great coordinator that is all I can say.

Basically it all comes down to what you want in a head coach. I want a face of the program and leave the Xs and Os to the coordinators.

Nonsense. Offense was not worse. Post the stats. He also installed his own coorddinators.

#coacheslivesmatter

I'm on the boat, but not quite as amped up. Really, really hoping it goes well for him, of course. Couple things are a little confusing. He is quite the talker and the recruits certainly did flip quick and I've read countless little pieces how he turned the "culture" at WMU. Why then was their attendance somewhat below what one might expect? Never a sell out, even in this 4th year. Also one other thing, which is probably nothing at all, but he took that NIU job as OC and bolted after one day. Guess he said he wasn't ready. All that being said, the MAC certainly has had a fair share of coaches be successful moving up, have my fingers crossed that Fleck is the next one.

(Edit) After going through some attendance figures from NIU, I am way off base. WMU drew very well in comparison. I have to retract all that attendance spiel.

If you aren't excited you don't understand the sport or the game of college football very well

I would say we are paying a heck of a lot of money if all you want is a pretty face. I sure hope he can coach, not just look good!
Like it or not, college football is a business. And many times the head coach is the public front-man for the program and university creating interest, raising money, improving facilities, growing the fan base. A college football coach in this day and age needs to be as much (if not more) of a CEO than he is an Xs and Os teacher. With all those other responsibilities, not even having mentioned recruiting, it is often times more important for the coordinators to do the Xs and Os and the gameplanning.

Nonsense. Offense was not worse. Post the stats. He also installed his own coorddinators.

#coacheslivesmatter

As posted above.

S&P ranking of the Gophers offense the last 3 years:

2014: 44
2015: 58
2016: 84

Offensive Efficiency
2015: .09 54th
2016: -.26 86th

I'm on the boat, but not quite as amped up. Really, really hoping it goes well for him, of course. Couple things are a little confusing. He is quite the talker and the recruits certainly did flip quick and I've read countless little pieces how he turned the "culture" at WMU. Why then was their attendance somewhat below what one might expect? Never a sell out, even in this 4th year. Also one other thing, which is probably nothing at all, but he took that NIU job as OC and bolted after one day.

(Edit) After going through some attendance figures from NIU, I am way off base. WMU drew very well in comparison. I have to retract all that attendance spiel.

100 miles from Michigan. 80 miles from Michigan State. 75 miles from Notre Dame.

Good luck drawing a crowd on Saturday afternoon nestled in between those three schools.

I'm on the boat, but not quite as amped up. Really, really hoping it goes well for him, of course. Couple things are a little confusing. He is quite the talker and the recruits certainly did flip quick and I've read countless little pieces how he turned the "culture" at WMU. Why then was their attendance somewhat below what one might expect? Never a sell out, even in this 4th year. Also one other thing, which is probably nothing at all, but he took that NIU job as OC and bolted after one day. Guess he said he wasn't ready. All that being said, the MAC certainly has had a fair share of coaches be successful moving up, have my fingers crossed that Fleck is the next one.

What should have been expected for attendance?

100 miles from Michigan. 80 miles from Michigan State. 75 miles from Notre Dame.

Good luck drawing a crowd on Saturday afternoon nestled in between those three schools.

What should have been expected for attendance?

Good point on the location. And mentioning again, the attendance figures were much better than the NIU numbers.

You should stop posting on the subject, you sound remarkably ignorant. Sawvel has had ONE season as a DC against a very weak schedule. Smith has had 2 years of top 10 defenses yet you only look at last year when comparing the two. Unbelievable.

Funny you would call someone ignorant without being able to read yourself. I talked about his other years. Maybe you like the decline of going from a top 10 defense to a defense ranked in the 70s. That is a wonderful trend. Unbelievable.

Okay big boys and girls, it is time to shut up and drink! (Fleck's Koolaide that is)

:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

Why must we always bring the Brewster bad juju here....

Because Fleck is enthusiastic so of course that means he is an exact clone of Brewster to many and they will therefore bring him up at every single possible opportunity.

"My heart is pumpin', and my corpuscles are jumpin', baby!" Let's go get a B1G championship!

So if Fleck brings in a Top 25 recruiting class next year, my guess is some idiots will continue to compare him to Brewster, being as Brewster brought in close to a Top 25 class once while here???

Top Bottom