Why Is Everyone So Excited?

gopherlaney

Reaction score
I am disappointed Claeys was fired as I felt the program was heading in the right direction. That being said, PJ Fleck will be able to recruit based on the press conference. Very captivating for young people.

The GopherHole has abhorred Kill/Claeys recruiting because they signed many kids that only had MAC offers. We flip 6+ kids committed to a MAC school and everyone is elated. Help me understand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't get college football and haven't been paying attention.

I am disappointed Claeys was fired as I felt the program was heading in the right direction. That being said, PJ Fleck will be able to recruit based on the press conference. Very captivating for young people.

The GopherHole has abhorred Kill/Claeys recruiting because they signed many kids that only had MAC offers. We flip 6+ kids committed to a MAC school and everyone is elated. Help me understand?

Some people don't see the big picture .

It's just like when a backup QB comes in. Maybe he'll do better, maybe he won't, but we all hope he will. Being optimistic and having hope makes you look at the same circumstances differently.

This is a leap of faith but I assume most of us are projecting big things for the Gophers. Think ahead.

Show me the list of B1G-level recruits Claeys was about to fill the class with? Recruiting was tailing off, and fast.

I think people are more excited that flipping 6 signals that it was about Fleck, not WMU. Recruits love this guy. Extrapolate that out over the next few years with a bigger salary, bigger tools, bigger stage, etc... That's what I'm excited about.

A few of the recruits have other good offers. It shows he can recruit. It's a big deal when he had guys committed to WMU when they had offers from programs like Louisville. The flips show me that kids really love Fleck and will follow him no matter where he goes.

Fleck was over recruiting WMU, which is why those guys flipped right away, they didn't necessarily want to play for WMU, they wanted to play for Fleck.

I hope some of the guys that went to bigger schools but wanted to play for Fleck can be switched to the U. That would be nice.

I think Fleck is going to be a heck of a recruiter and with the new facilities, he will be even better.

It will come down to his coordinators, his asst coaches and the players in the end...it always does. Head Coach can only do so much.

I think with the new football facility and performance center Fleck will be like a kid in a candy store.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because today we believe we hired the next Urban Meyer.

We'll find out soon enough if we actually hired the next Darrell Hazel or the next Urban Meyer.

We rocketed up the ranking (well not really, but the rankings have always been bull**** so don't worry about that) but we haven't seen who Fleck will jettison if anyone given the time frame.

And mostly everyone is excited because we can talk about something that appears positive.

We'll have plenty of time to suffer through the lawsuits and more buffoonery from President Kaler and Mark Coyle in the months to come. Enjoy something positive for a while.

I'm excited. I liked Claeys, but I do agree with some of the posters in here that he is more of an X's and O's guy. He isn't the motivational leader that you need as a head coach. It also seemed like the discipline on and off the field also changed when Kill resigned, I don't have stats to prove that point, but when Kill was here, we seemed to have less penalties, less missed tackles, and less off the field issues, etc. Maybe Claeys just wasn't as involved with the players as Kill was, I dunno.

Looking at some of the things Fleck and WMU did, they seemed to promote a lot of activities that give their players bonding moments. It seemed like they loved him and his ways, and then success came with it. I'm excited because I think he will try to promote Gopher football and make Minnesotans proud of them through their play and their community work, like he did with WMU. Will it work? That's to be seen because the WMU community is a lot smaller than the Twin Cities, and the whole state of Minnesota community because heck.. we only have one division one football team.

First of all, the vast majority of us are excited about any recruit. They are new members of the team and it's that hope that they might turn out to be great. Look at NSD, we are always pumped up around here, even with Kill/Claeys classes. So, I think this place would be rocking with a 6 commit night even if we never changed coaches. It's exciting if you follow Gopher football.

Second, the coach is new and we're getting publicity. It's fun. I have always said that the only thing that can sustain excitement and success, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun with our shiny new toy. I hope it pans out (either way, it'll be fun).

Third, I think your argument makes sense if the same thing is happening in the 2018 class. I think the point is valid because that crowd would look like hypocrites.

Lastly, it's just fun. We've spent the bulk of the last three weeks talking about rape, due process, expulsions, university politics, etc. We get to talk about football and recruits. It's fun.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I'm excited because I'm a fan of the Gophers...

Aside from that, I like that the U ponied up the cash to pay a real B1G salary.
I like the results Fleck has had in limited time.
I like what he's preaching and I believe he's sincere when I watch him speak.
I am encouraged and hopeful that he'll keep some of this staff around (*cough* Jay Sawvel *cough*).
He reminds me a lot of Pitino and that is working out well so far in year 3.
We are getting new facilities next year.
He's got that new coach smell, and that is always exciting as a fan.
MAC recruits or not, he's flipped 6 kids in a day. A day. That's crazy. I think we'll be a consistent top 25 recruiting team once he has a full season to recruit.

I think the thing that impresses me about the recruits is that they blindly followed him. Making a decision to go to college is a major thing for anyone, and to do so without even stepping foot onto that college/university, you have to have a lot of faith in Coach Fleck. Sure, it's the B10, and it sure is a lot better than WMU, but it's still impressive that they will follow their Coach anywhere.

What is not to warm up to PJ Fleck? In the short amount of time, he made me a believer.

Mark Coyle hit a home run hire. He was clear about his vision of winning championships and trips to the Rose Bowl.

I feel bad for Tracy Claeys.

Count me as someone who is a little reserved in my enthusiasm for this hire. If he can land 15-18 recruits every year with high major offers and continue to land under recruited gems the way Kill/Claeys did, I can start believing. I want to see how his '18 class shapes up.

It isnt necessarily the specific commits that has fans excited (though some specific recent commits look nice), its the timing of when all these kids are coming in. Fleck needs to fill the class quickly, with players that fit his mantra, and he is doing exactly that. This class could have been a complete waste, had Fleck not done what he's been doing. We'll have to wait for the next season to see the more highly touted recruits to fill up the roster...Fleck simply doesnt have time to fill the class with 4 and 5 star guys. What he's doing now is very impressive though.

Fleck has every opportunity to be successful here and it is on the backs of a lot of hard working people who will get very little credit. Starting with Mason and Maturi who helped us get back on campus, Kill/Claeys for pulling us out of the Brewster hole, Mega Tongue & Kill for the new facilities and Coyle and Kaler for being so incompetent at their jobs that the Regents had no choice but to agree to pony up $5 million in buy outs and another $30 million over the next 5 years to pay the new coaches.

In the end, Fleck will be judged on his own merits, but he isn't here and doesn't have the resources he has without all those that came before him.

Fleck has every opportunity to be successful here and it is on the backs of a lot of hard working people who will get very little credit. Starting with Mason and Maturi who helped us get back on campus, Kill/Claeys for pulling us out of the Brewster hole, Mega Tongue & Kill for the new facilities and Coyle and Kaler for being so incompetent at their jobs that the Regents had no choice but to agree to pony up $5 million in buy outs and another $30 million over the next 5 years to pay the new coaches.

In the end, Fleck will be judged on his own merits, but he isn't here and doesn't have the resources he has without all those that came before him.

Great post ....

I think with the new football facility and performance center Fleck will be like a kid in a candy store.

Who is funding that now? After the Coyle and Kaler cluster show, I would be surprised to see any funding support from donors for that.

Show me the list of B1G-level recruits Claeys was about to fill the class with? Recruiting was tailing off, and fast.

I think people are more excited that flipping 6 signals that it was about Fleck, not WMU. Recruits love this guy. Extrapolate that out over the next few years with a bigger salary, bigger tools, bigger stage, etc... That's what I'm excited about.

We have no idea what Claeys may have done without being undermined by the administrations actions. That being said I would love to see Fleck surprise us by flipping a P5 kid or two.

Who is funding that now? After the Coyle and Kaler cluster show, I would be surprised to see any funding support from donors for that.

Seriously? I would expect to see more donations.

I already like the way he Fleck say's SKI U MAH and the enthusiasm. This program has needed some enthusiasm and excitement. Looking forward to the process, and enjoying this ride. Yes a lot of hard working people did a lot for Gopher football including Coach Mason former AD Maturi, and especially Coach Kill (fund raising and pushing people in that direction) in helping start the push for the athletes village, re-branding the name to "Center if Excellence for Athletics" or whatever corporate name and "Elite" go together. Lastly coach Claeys, you held things together through a difficult time and made the team and program a brotherhood and you were a voice for a group of players that didn't need to be branded with hatred or tied to the scandal to those selfish one's that added the tarnish. For that I thank you and wish you the best in your future.

It will be an interesting process how the new things and the Gopher football program will continue evolve. I like SKI U MAH because it is a simple message and battle cry, Victory U of M. Win at what you are doing, win the day, and be proud of where you come from.
I like the enthusiasm so far Fleck is showing us, hard to know if it is real but so far he seems to be genuine about what he is saying, at least the cliches and speeches do seem heartfelt.

Now if we could find a way to make the campus culture more fun and excited about football, make the game day a day long experience that would be the elite change we need. To many people want to show up last minute and leave before the games are over. The U and the University have not done a good job of making College football a fun and happening thing. We definitely need a huge dose of enthusiasm and a culture change to our game day, it doesn't have to be forced, but we need a way to show people a good time and keep them engaged and coming back. I'm hopeful that coach Fleck can excite the state of Minnesota about Gopher football and make them care about and connect with this team. That is part of the culture that needs to change the most, if we build the elite culture of SKI-U-MAH, those student athletes that are the best will want to come here and be apart of this team and this University.

I think you make a great point. My understanding is that the Gophers had a better recruiting class than WMU so why would we be excited about stealing their commitments. Another potential negative is revisiting the Gophers basketball signing Monson away from Gonzaga. A very similar situation that didn't work out at all. However, I am going to be positive about Fleck anyway.

Right on Philly. I've seen a lot of stuff take place with Gopher football the past 60 years. Gopher fans get giddy when they smell fresh blood and get all riled up. Understandable.

Tis the season for optimism!

Me! As usual, time will tell.

+100

For me his bluster and hype dont mesh with my personality so i am not as amped up as others although I can see how he would reach others. His personality may reach kids very well. I just see it as over the top and not necessary. He does have some coaching accumen to back up what he says though so I am hopefull he can do well enough here and not wear out his welcome.

#coacheslivesmatter

Top Bottom