Who will be the next BB coach at the UofM?

I did before I commented. Still zero college coaching experience and a thoroughly unimpressive resume both in the CBA and NBA. The fact that he was young doesn't make it any less unimpressive.

Himm dipsodoll68... As Winston Churchill said: You must look at facts because they look at you...

CBA Record: 270-122 ( 688%) The second highest winning percentage in league history behind " George Karl" who coached 5 seasons in the CBA. from 1990 to 1997 Musselman had 24 players called up to the NBA,the highest number in the league during that span.
Musselman is the only coach in CBA history to coach in 5 league All-star games.

USBL. Record 53-3 ( (946 % in the playoffs)....Back to back USBL Championships... Higest winning percentage in the league.

1988. In his first job as General Manager of the CBA Rapid City Thrillers he hired FLIP SAUNDERS as coach.....

NBA 2002-2004 Golden State Warriors. Fisnished runnerup to San Antonio's George Popvich as Coach of the Year
In two seasons he finished at 75-89 despite numerous injuries and loss of two top players that weere traded ( Gilbert Arenas, Antwan Jamison)

NBA-2006-2007 Sacramento Kings: Hired to replace RICK ADELMAN and finshed 33-49( he had absolutely no players to compete)

Summary: You can look at his International record. and he continues to be interviewed for NBA positions. Wow, you put a pretty high value on college coaching expierence versus a guy who has sent 24 players to the NBA, Is a pedigree to a great coach in his father, and has coached at all levels ABOVE COLLEGE. You hire Eric Musselman season tickets would be gone in 24 hours. He would bring in 4 and 5 star recruits because of his association on all levels of recruitment. The vaunted pre-game warmup would be brought back and the Barn would live again. And guess what dipo, he might even hire Flip as a ass't coach:clap:

Ruppert- He may be an interesting choice, but the school that preferred to be sued by Jimmy Williams rather than hire anyone associated with past issues, is not going to hire anyone named Musselman either.

#1, You don't know if that's true with the new AD. In regards to Williams the U has appealed the settlement twice ( 1,000,000) and lost. It is time to start thinking out of the box instead of being so prim and proper; especially with the U doing all sorts of cloak and dagger payoffs ( Q-up the UMD Chancellor who just received a payoff over a half million from the U) Eric Musselman was 10 years old at the time of the sanctions again Bill. If Eric were per chance get an interview by the new AD and that was brought up I would consider that a gross misjustice and I would cancel all association with the U. In the meantime this is all conjector because Kaler doesn't have the balls to disimiss Tubby and we will flounder with Tubby either with his current contract or, the proposed extension.

"Who will be the next BB coach at the UofM? "

millions2spare
whathavewedone
minngg
art Vandelay

recruiting coordinator:

BigGopherFan

Himm dipsodoll68... As Winston Churchill said: You must look at facts because they look at you...

CBA Record: 270-122 ( 688%) The second highest winning percentage in league history behind " George Karl" who coached 5 seasons in the CBA. from 1990 to 1997 Musselman had 24 players called up to the NBA,the highest number in the league during that span.
Musselman is the only coach in CBA history to coach in 5 league All-star games.

USBL. Record 53-3 ( (946 % in the playoffs)....Back to back USBL Championships... Higest winning percentage in the league.

1988. In his first job as General Manager of the CBA Rapid City Thrillers he hired FLIP SAUNDERS as coach.....

NBA 2002-2004 Golden State Warriors. Fisnished runnerup to San Antonio's George Popvich as Coach of the Year
In two seasons he finished at 75-89 despite numerous injuries and loss of two top players that weere traded ( Gilbert Arenas, Antwan Jamison)

NBA-2006-2007 Sacramento Kings: Hired to replace RICK ADELMAN and finshed 33-49( he had absolutely no players to compete)

Summary: You can look at his International record. and he continues to be interviewed for NBA positions. Wow, you put a pretty high value on college coaching expierence versus a guy who has sent 24 players to the NBA, Is a pedigree to a great coach in his father, and has coached at all levels ABOVE COLLEGE. You hire Eric Musselman season tickets would be gone in 24 hours. He would bring in 4 and 5 star recruits because of his association on all levels of recruitment. The vaunted pre-game warmup would be brought back and the Barn would live again. And guess what dipo, he might even hire Flip as a ass't coach:clap:

But after he wins 2 or 3 National Championships and jumps to the NBA, what do we do then?

But after he wins 2 or 3 National Championships and jumps to the NBA, what do we do then?

We then hire:

millions2spare
whathavewedone
minngg
ArtVandelay

recruiting coordinator:

BigGopherFan (We need as much optimism and positive reinforcement as possible).

We then hire:

millions2spare
whathavewedone
minngg
ArtVandelay

recruiting coordinator:

You're right. By then minngg should be out of high school.

We then hire:

millions2spare
whathavewedone
minngg
ArtVandelay

recruiting coordinator:

This is awesome and might be crazy enough to work.

We then hire:

millions2spare
whathavewedone
minngg
ArtVandelay

recruiting coordinator:

There's a formula for success. I think the prospects would love BigGopherFan's "can-do" attitude.

This conversation needs to include Colorado State's Tim Miles. If we dont get him now, its not going to happen because he wont be available. CSU is going to be stacked next year( he is a great recruiter) so i wouldnt be surprised if they make a cinderella run in the tournament next year. He will be the "it" guy next year and will have some pretty good opportunities. Good guy and a good coach.

I am sure Dr Don would put a serious vote in for Jim Molinary. His teams always played hard and tried their best. Who cares if they lose per Doctor Don.

I for one would like to consider Musselman, Flip, Miles, Will Voigt, Nate Bjorkgren, Joel Abelson, Taylor Jenkins, Gene Cross, Bob MacKinnon, Kevin Keathley. These are people that are NBA caliber. I think if we can get a coach with an NBA pedigree, it will help us better compete in the conference.

"Who will be the next BB coach at the UofM? "

millions2spare
whathavewedone
minngg
art Vandelay

recruiting coordinator:

BigGopherFan

Oh sure. I nominated you for Father of the Year, and what do I get in return.

Not a damned thing.

sheesh.

I am sure Dr Don would put a serious vote in for Jim Molinary. His teams always played hard and tried their best. Who cares if they lose per Doctor Don.
QUOTE]

Dr Don also said that every game was a coin flip, so apparently Tubby has been handed a coin with heads on both sides in January of the last two years!!!

Why do so many people think Wisconsin's players are all 2/3 star recruits? I don't get it. They get high 3-stars and 4-stars with the occasional 5-star. I'll never understand this misconception.

from the Badger board----"With UW's victory over Ohio State yesterday, Bo Ryan recaptured the lead for the best winning percentage in Big Ten history (regular season conference games). Bo's record is now 130-54, or .707. Thad Matta is now 96-40, or .706. Bob Knight is next at .700 over his incredible career. "

quibbling over stars aside, I think we can all agree that Ohio State and Michigan State and probably Michigan and Purdue and Illinois all get more high profile players than Wisconsin. And Bo does what he does

Regular season success and $1.25 will get you a cup of coffee at Dunkin' Donuts.

from the Badger board----"With UW's victory over Ohio State yesterday, Bo Ryan recaptured the lead for the best winning percentage in Big Ten history (regular season conference games). Bo's record is now 130-54, or .707. Thad Matta is now 96-40, or .706. Bob Knight is next at .700 over his incredible career. "

quibbling over stars aside, I think we can all agree that Ohio State and Michigan State and probably Michigan and Purdue and Illinois all get more high profile players than Wisconsin. And Bo does what he does

Bo Ryan is a very, very good coach. I don't like him, but I respect his ability to coach and run a program. By no means was I trying to imply that he doesn't deserve credit. I was only pointing out how inaccurate it is to think that he wins with 2/3 star players. It just simply is not true. A lot of poeple severely underestimate the talent he brings in. Ohio State and Michigan State definitely bring in more talent, but in recent memory Michigan and Purdue are debatable. Wisconsin brings in about as much talent as they do, hard to argue either way. When is the last time Purdue or Michigan has brought in a 5-star? It's been a while. And no, Hummel, Johnson, and Moore were not 5-stars. Surprisingly, Illinois' recruiting classes really haven't been THAT much better considering how much talent that state produces.

Leaf huh? His name was brought up last time Minnesota had a coaching vacancy (I think by Jay Bilas) and we all know what happened there. I'm sure the University will explore all avenues in it's search for a new men's basketball coach (whenever that happens), and Mike Leaf's name will no doubt be bounced around. However, he's the quintessential Division II coach, balancing big-time transfers with local/regional high school talent. The Leaf name is synonymous with the city of Winona too. He loves it there and Winona loves having him. Having spoken with him many times, I can honestly say I don't think he wants to leave Winona State. Although nothing has been publicized, I would be willing to bet Leaf has received a few Division I offers over the last eight years. And never once has his departure even flirted with rumor stage. We shall see though; we shall see...

Handing a Big Ten head coaching job to a D-II head coach who hasn't had a sniff of the big time (D-I) to a lesser extent is akin to Notre Dame hiring Gerry Faust right out of Cincinnati Moeller. A big risk. If Minnesota was not in a premier athletic conference and/or we were a mid-major I'd feel quite a bit differently, but we are.

If that's the option, I'll take Flip, and Flip would be way, way, way down my list.

Handing a Big Ten head coaching job to a D-II head coach

The D-II thing doesn't scare me at all. He's one hell of a coach.

The Winona Sate Men's Basketball team is led by Mike Leaf heading into the 2010-11 season under Leaf the Warriors have won 270 games, 2 National Championships (2006 and 2008), 2 National Coach of the Year Awards, 3 First Team All-Americans, 4 NSIC Tournament Championships, 5 NSIC Coach of the Year Awards, 6 NSIC Regular Season Championships, 7 NCAA Division II Tournament Appearances, 23 First Team All-NSIC Selections 38 Wins in a season; NCAA record, all divisions, 57 Consecutive wins; most in NCAA Division II history.

The D-II thing doesn't scare me at all. He's one hell of a coach.

The Winona Sate Men's Basketball team is led by Mike Leaf heading into the 2010-11 season under Leaf the Warriors have won 270 games, 2 National Championships (2006 and 2008), 2 National Coach of the Year Awards, 3 First Team All-Americans, 4 NSIC Tournament Championships, 5 NSIC Coach of the Year Awards, 6 NSIC Regular Season Championships, 7 NCAA Division II Tournament Appearances, 23 First Team All-NSIC Selections 38 Wins in a season; NCAA record, all divisions, 57 Consecutive wins; most in NCAA Division II history.

Food for thought: Bo Ryan at d3 school, then coached at Milwaukee for only two years before UW. Just food for though.

University of Wisconsin–Platteville
After his stint as an assistant, Ryan accepted the head coaching position at the University of Wisconsin–Platteville. From 1984 until 1999 Ryan's Platteville team posted a 352–76 overall record, a winning record of 82%. Ryan guided the UW–Platteville Pioneers to four national championships (1991, 1995, 1998 and 1999). He also won eight Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference championships and set a Division III scoring defense record in 1997 with his team only allowing 47.5 points per game.[citation needed]
On January 27, 2007 the University of Wisconsin–Platteville officially honored Ryan's 15-year tenure by naming their basketball court "Bo Ryan Court". Ryan, along with the 2007 Wisconsin Badgers team, attended the event.

or Brian Dutcher....Although San Diego would keep me!

zubb said:
Long shot - make a run at Buzz Williams.

If he brushed off Arkansas last year there is no way he would consider this job unfortunately.

You must have a coach that can improve, {develop}, players. Tubby is not that guy. His players didn't get better at Ky and they don't get better at UM.

You cannot point to a fundamental improvement in any player under Tubby. Sure, tye get bigger, stronger and more mature, but they would do that with any coach. Fundamental basketball improvement. Sampson doesn't have a move that the didn't get to UM with. Same for any other player. Bo Ryan's players get better every year. Izzo's players get better every year. Even the ones that Tubby can keep around are no better as senior than they were as freshmen. Just older.

You must have a coach that can improve, {develop}, players. Tubby is not that guy. His players didn't get better at Ky and they don't get better at UM.

You cannot point to a fundamental improvement in any player under Tubby. Sure, tye get bigger, stronger and more mature, but they would do that with any coach. Fundamental basketball improvement. Sampson doesn't have a move that the didn't get to UM with. Same for any other player. Bo Ryan's players get better every year. Izzo's players get better every year. Even the ones that Tubby can keep around are no better as senior than they were as freshmen. Just older.

Damian Johnson during his freshman year looked like a player that should be playing D-3 he improved greatly. A lot of players haven't developed like we hoped but you cant no one did

Okay, I'll bite. Give me Flip for the next 3 years. Let's see how he does. Im willing to check him out. I'm not convinced that Flip is an upgrade, but I do think he'll bring new energy which is needed right now.

Is there any chance in the world that Flip would ever consider being an assistant coach here as oppose to head coach? Or is that a pipedream? His NBA connections would be huge for recruiting, but I'm skeptical about him being the head caoch unless there is no other option.

Top Bottom