Who else? other than Flip or Smart who else could be our next BB Coach?

Whenever the time comes for the Gophers to hire a new coach, we have the right two people in place to do the hiring. Norwood Teague and Mike Ellis are basketball guys. They are well-connected. I feel good about these two people landing a coach who will win here. For further confirmation, mandatory refresher reading is here.

Good refresher, if this season flames out we have capable individuals hiring our next coach.

Whenever the time comes for the Gophers to hire a new coach, we have the right two people in place to do the hiring. Norwood Teague and Mike Ellis are basketball guys. They are well-connected. I feel good about these two people landing a coach who will win here. For further confirmation, mandatory refresher reading is here.

That short "mandatory read" might be the best thing I have read all week. I feel much better about the hiring process. Do you have any articles that would give me hope on the firing process?

Is that a widely accepted belief by people across the country? I am way too much of a homer to think about it rationally- I actually may over-correct (as you've pointed out) to try to make sure that I am not being biased. But you seem to be pretty confident of it... It's all subjective (or at least, largely subjective), but you might be right. I guess I think we're about average in terms of a B10 job when it comes to a national consensus, but certainly we'd be a top quartile job in either the Big 12 or SEC, and probably the Pac 10, too.

I also think that sometimes people turn down slightly better jobs because they are happy, comfortable, and well-paid where they are. But by and large, yeah, you're right... people want to move up the ladder and a BCS job is doing that. Perhaps I am just trying way too hard to counter my own bias.

The very fact the fact that we have Tubby says the answer is yes. Do you think we were the only open job he could have gotten in 2007? Just in the B1G Iowa and Michigan were open that year. Tubby was certainly considered the biggest hire of the 3 (Bohelein turned out to be.) The fact that Monson was willing to come here when we were about to be nuked by the NCAA says yes. Couldn't he have stayed at Gonzaga and gotten a 'better' job?

How big of a drawback the practice facility issue is, etc. is subjective. But that is the only major flaw and we are supposedly committed to correcting it. Most of the other fundamentals are positive. Would you rather coach at Nebraska? Iowa? Penn State? No way.

How big of a drawback the practice facility issue is, etc. is subjective. .

A smart for everyone clause in any new contact for a new coach would include monetary compensation for every year that passes without a practice facility. No coach would want to take a job with such bad facilities, but if they were paid an extra $100k each year until it got built, they'd find a way to get over it.

I'm sure you would instill the same level of discipline you have showed in 'leaving Gopherhole'.

Well said, howeda7. I would add, how can anyone instill discipline in a team, when that person can't even instill discipline within himself?

Shooter chimes in:

DON'T PRINT THAT

Perfect choice, if Tubby Smith were not to return as Gophers men's basketball coach, would be tireless Eric Musselman, 48, the two-time former NBA head coach who is getting rave reviews as an assistant at Arizona State.

Don't know much about Mussleman, but found this on Wikipedia:

Coaching style

On his blog, Musselman wrote about the importance of matching an offense to the "team's make up." Depending on the roster, a half-court offense might make more sense. In other cases, a team may be better suited for an "open offense." According to Musselman, the idea is to allow players to "play to their strengths."[8]
As head coach of the Golden State Warriors, Musselman would often use "three-guard rotations to create mismatches and fast-break opportunities for his club."[9] As head coach of the Venezuela National Team, Musselman said his team's identity was that of a "fast-paced, up-tempo team."[10]
According to former NBA coach Jeff Van Gundy, Musselman is "as competitive of a guy as I've ever coached against. He's a brilliant offensive mind."[11]
[edit]Developing players

In an August 2011 interview on NBA.com, Musselman said that, as a coach, "you have to continually figure out a way to get your players better."[12] According to Gerald Green, who played for Musselman with the D-League's Los Angeles D-Fenders in 2012, Musselman "did a hell of a job really motivating me, really pushing me every day in practice when I was with L.A. I have to give him credit [for improving my game].”[13] Green said that Musselman "rode me about staying focused. Don’t take even a second off of any play. Don’t take any plays off. Don’t take practice for granted."[14]
Like Green, Jeremy Lin has also credited Musselman with aiding his development. In February 2012, Lin said that when he played for Musselman in the D-League, "he gave me the opportunity to play through mistakes."[15]
Gregory Echenique, who played for Musselman on the Venezuela National Team in 2011, said Musselman "had the most energy of any coach I've ever been around. He had a problem with his Achilles, and he would throw his crutches down and literally crawl to get after you. From the first day we met him to when we left him, his intensity never changed. It didn't matter who you were — he was in your face if he needed to be. At the same time, he was so positive. He always believed we could win. He was the guy that put the fire into us."[16]
Kevin Martin (basketball), who played for Musselman with the Sacramento Kings in 2006-07, told NBA.com that Musselman helped him learn how to draw more fouls. According to Martin, Musselman "saw how teams were playing me and how they got up into me and told me to start absorbing that contact. He said I could score a lot more points in this league if I got to the free throw line. He put an emphasis on me night in night out with that part of the game. He was always pounding it into me and it paid off."[17]
[edit]

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22573082/shooter-now-no-olympic-wrestling-gophers-j-robinson

Go Gophers!!
f

Shooter chimes in:

DON'T PRINT THAT

Perfect choice, if Tubby Smith were not to return as Gophers men's basketball coach, would be tireless Eric Musselman, 48, the two-time former NBA head coach who is getting rave reviews as an assistant at Arizona State.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22573082/shooter-now-no-olympic-wrestling-gophers-j-robinson

Go Gophers!!

Eric Mussleman is the basketball Marc Trestman. Never been a head coach in college. No reason to consider him except 'he's from here!' The local media all love him. No thanks. Pass.

Eric Mussleman is the basketball Marc Trestman. Never been a head coach in college. No reason to consider him except 'he's from here!' The local media all love him. No thanks. Pass.

I wouldn't be opposed to Musselman. He's an unbelievably heady coach with ties to the NBA. There is absolutely no doubt that insiders say Arizona State's turnaround has A LOT to do with him. He's A GREAT communicator and highly savvy in the media. It would be night and day hearing him do a press conference compared the ramblings we currently get, which at times are a bit of a struggle. We could certainly do worse than Musselman. I wouldn't lose sleep if he wasn't the next coach, but could certainly get excited about him if he were.

Howeda - another question. I really like the job Tony Bennett has done in your neck of the woods. He has Virginia headed to the NCAA for the 2nd straight year (18-6, 8-3 right now), they are competing in a tough basketball league, and are a school a little like Minnesota in that they don't have some of the intrinsic built-in advantages some of the blue bloods do. Coupled with his unbelievable first two years at Washington State, the guy has won everywhere. Plus, he's a young guy still. You are closer to it than us, what is your impression of him and do you think he would he return to his Midwest roots if given the chance? I know I could get on board with him, too.

I wouldn't be opposed to Musselman. He's an unbelievably heady coach with ties to the NBA. There is absolutely no doubt that insiders say Arizona State's turnaround has A LOT to do with him. He's A GREAT communicator and highly savvy in the media. It would be night and day hearing him do a press conference compared the ramblings we currently get, which at times are a bit of a struggle. We could certainly do worse than Musselman. I wouldn't lose sleep if he wasn't the next coach, but could certainly get excited about him if he were.

Howeda - another question. I really like the job Tony Bennett has done in your neck of the woods. He has Virginia headed to the NCAA for the 2nd straight year (18-6, 8-3 right now), they are competing in a tough basketball league, and are a school a little like Minnesota in that they don't have some of the intrinsic built-in advantages some of the blue bloods do. Coupled with his unbelievable first two years at Washington State, the guy has won everywhere. Plus, he's a young guy still. You are closer to it than us, what is your impression of him and do you think he would he return to his Midwest roots if given the chance? I know I could get on board with him, too.

I certainly hope that since we have Teague and Ellis, when the time comes to replace Tubby (hopefully after stepping down after his 2nd consecutive final four run next year) that we don't use the same old tired "Minnesota" connection route. Please, no more Dungy, Trestman, Saunders, Musselman talk. And don't put Qunicy Lewis on the search team. Let Teague and Ellis find the right guy, period, end of story.

I certainly hope that since we have Teague and Ellis, when the time comes to replace Tubby (hopefully after stepping down after his 2nd consecutive final four run next year) that we don't use the same old tired "Minnesota" connection route. Please, no more Dungy, Trestman, Saunders, Musselman talk. And don't put Qunicy Lewis on the search team. Let Teague and Ellis find the right guy, period, end of story.

Where did I use "MN connection routine?"

My intrigue with Musselman has zero to do with his Minnesota connection, which isn't all that great. I think he attended elementary school here for like 4 years. I'd be intrigued by him if I were a fan of Missouri, Wisconsin, Ole Miss, or any other team. Again, I'm not advocating he get the MN job when it becomes open. I'm simply saying if he was hired, I'd be fine with it. Bottom line, I bet Musselman has a head coaching job at the BCS level within 2-3 years. And, I predict he'll have success.

As for Bennett, does he even have a Minnesota connection? I don't think so. But, I think he'd do a great job in the Big Ten for somebody.

Where did I use "MN connection routine?"

My intrigue with Musselman has zero to do with his Minnesota connection, which isn't all that great. I think he attended elementary school here for like 4 years. I'd be intrigued by him if I were a fan of Missouri, Wisconsin, Ole Miss, or any other team. Again, I'm not advocating he get the MN job when it becomes open. I'm simply saying if he was hired, I'd be fine with it. Bottom line, I bet Musselman has a head coaching job at the BCS level within 2-3 years. And, I predict he'll have success.

As for Bennett, does he even have a Minnesota connection? I don't think so. But, I think he'd do a great job in the Big Ten for somebody.

You're probably right about Musselman.. just that my hackles go up when the minnesota connection is the first thought. He does have a good background and resume'. I hereby authorize Ellis and Teague to include him in their search. :)

Anything's possible. It would certainly shock folks in Charlottesville if he left for MN. Then again, they were convinced Tubby was absolutely a done deal to come to UVa and escape his igloo before Bennett got the job (that did almost happen it seems.) If he does want to come back to the Midwest, I would say he's more likey to suceed Bo than Tubby for obvious reasons.

Tough crowd. It sounds to me like Musselman is a promising prospect and should be considered if there's an opening at any point. I love what he says about offense. It's so common-sensical, but it's amazing how many coaches in every sport are rigid about their schemes.

If you are unhappy with the results, you make a change with hopes and expectations for an improved future. There are no guarantees. Such is life.

You make a change as long as you have a plan of attack.

Tough crowd. It sounds to me like Musselman is a promising prospect and should be considered if there's an opening at any point. I love what he says about offense. It's so common-sensical, but it's amazing how many coaches in every sport are rigid about their schemes.

You want him to be the next coach of the Timberwolves? OK. The Gophers, not so much. If his dad hadn't been the coach 40 years ago, he wouldn't even get mentioned. I don't doubt his basketball knowledge or ability to 'win a press conference', but we have no idea how his schemes would translate to the B1G or if he can recruit. Flip has some of the same concerns, but he coached in the NBA a lot longer, more recently and locally, so at least that holds some sway.

Obviously this is reading more into it than what is being presented. However, could we be positioning ourselves to get Brad Stevens from Butler by hiring Beth Goetz? Here's today's article from the Strib...

U hires associate AD
Gophers AD Norwood Teague announced that Beth Goetz has been hired as the athletic department's senior associate AD and senior woman administrator. Goetz, who has held the same title at Butler since 2008, is expected to start March 4.

"We want to recruit exceptionally talented individuals to Minnesota and we did that with Beth," Teague said.

At Butler, Goetz was the sport administrator for volleyball, soccer and softball. She also was involved with the men's basketball program, which made back-to-back trips to the NCAA title game during her tenure.

"Beth is an elite-level administrator and leader," Butler men's basketball coach Brad Stevens said. "She earned the utmost respect of all whose paths she crossed with a great work ethic, ultimate integrity, genuine care for our student-athletes, and a passion for Butler athletics."

Look halfway down the article about the women's hockey team winning. http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/191440491.html

The comments concerning Marc Trestman are nonsense. The examples of coaches moving from pro to college or from CFL to the NFL or from College to pro or CBA to NBA or NBA to college, ABOUND.

A good coach is a good coach. If he's not the greatest recruiter, well, you hire an Asst Coach who is. Often times the best recruiters aren't the best head coaches. And head coaches shouldn't be spending tons of time recruiting. Some, yet, but not tons of time.

Marc Trestman was successful at every level of coaching he worked at. The reason people brought his name up for the Gopher job, wasn't just because he was a former Gopher, *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#, there are lots of former Gophers out there in the football coaching ranks. Trestman just happened to be very good at what he did, and people like the Gopher connection because they think they can get a better coach than they otherwise would be able to get because of the connection, same reason Tony Dungy gets mentioned.

When I heard Marc Trestman got the Chicago Bears job, I was jealous. The Vikings have had quite a few coaches in the last 15 years, none of whom is worthy to lick Marc Trestman's boots, and we are more than likely going to regret not hiring him as the Vikings coach and letting the Bears get him. Not 100% about that, because yes, he's never been a head coach in the NFL before, but guess what, NEITHER were any of the other Head Coaches in all of NFL history, before they got hired for their first NFL Head Coaching job.

But back to Basketball. Flip Saunders is not my #1 choice, but he wouldn't be a bad choice either. Some of you, I honestly think, discriminate against coaching candidates with Minnesota ties. But Saunders was a VERY successful COLLEGE bb coach before he went to the CBA where he was VERY successful. And while coaching the Timberwolves, he led them to their most successful years in the frachises history. Had Minnesota been in the Eastern Conf like they should have been, with Chicago, Milwaukee, Indiana, Detroit, etc., they would have made the NBA Conf Finals and probably the NBA Finals a few times. But instead they were in the Western Conf where ALL of the top teams were located. People thought that Flip was not successful at Minnesota, but he was moreso than he was given credit for. And then he led Detroit to some of their best seasons ever, but he got fired for not winning the NBA title. I'm not sure I feel convinced it was his fault as a coach that they didn't win a Title.

But he's a big name, he's obviously a good coach, not sure about his age? Not sure whether he can recruit or not? And I'm not pushing for him to be the man we go after, just saying that he'd be a great get for any college team and for any NBA team as far as I'm concerned.

But for now, Tubby's still got us rated higher than we've been rated since the 70's, so I'll wait until AFTER he screws this season up before I start pushing for him to be replaced.

The comments concerning Marc Trestman are nonsense. The examples of coaches moving from pro to college or from CFL to the NFL or from College to pro or CBA to NBA or NBA to college, ABOUND.

A good coach is a good coach. If he's not the greatest recruiter, well, you hire an Asst Coach who is. Often times the best recruiters aren't the best head coaches. And head coaches shouldn't be spending tons of time recruiting. Some, yet, but not tons of time.

Marc Trestman was successful at every level of coaching he worked at. The reason people brought his name up for the Gopher job, wasn't just because he was a former Gopher, *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#, there are lots of former Gophers out there in the football coaching ranks. Trestman just happened to be very good at what he did, and people like the Gopher connection because they think they can get a better coach than they otherwise would be able to get because of the connection, same reason Tony Dungy gets mentioned.

When I heard Marc Trestman got the Chicago Bears job, I was jealous. The Vikings have had quite a few coaches in the last 15 years, none of whom is worthy to lick Marc Trestman's boots, and we are more than likely going to regret not hiring him as the Vikings coach and letting the Bears get him. Not 100% about that, because yes, he's never been a head coach in the NFL before, but guess what, NEITHER were any of the other Head Coaches in all of NFL history, before they got hired for their first NFL Head Coaching job.

But back to Basketball. Flip Saunders is not my #1 choice, but he wouldn't be a bad choice either. Some of you, I honestly think, discriminate against coaching candidates with Minnesota ties. But Saunders was a VERY successful COLLEGE bb coach before he went to the CBA where he was VERY successful. And while coaching the Timberwolves, he led them to their most successful years in the frachises history. Had Minnesota been in the Eastern Conf like they should have been, with Chicago, Milwaukee, Indiana, Detroit, etc., they would have made the NBA Conf Finals and probably the NBA Finals a few times. But instead they were in the Western Conf where ALL of the top teams were located. People thought that Flip was not successful at Minnesota, but he was moreso than he was given credit for. And then he led Detroit to some of their best seasons ever, but he got fired for not winning the NBA title. I'm not sure I feel convinced it was his fault as a coach that they didn't win a Title.

But he's a big name, he's obviously a good coach, not sure about his age? Not sure whether he can recruit or not? And I'm not pushing for him to be the man we go after, just saying that he'd be a great get for any college team and for any NBA team as far as I'm concerned.

But for now, Tubby's still got us rated higher than we've been rated since the 70's, so I'll wait until AFTER he screws this season up before I start pushing for him to be replaced.

Excellent post and you didn't hit return four time between paragraphs. Tubby gets till the end of the season, we can all agree on that, the pressure is on both Tubby and the team...we all hope they rise to the challenge.

Top Bottom