Who else? other than Flip or Smart who else could be our next BB Coach?

lets ask michael jordan, he would get us the top recruiting classes year after year and talent wins.

Tim Miles? I know its taboo to hire within conference and our facilities and athletic budget can't compare to Nebraska, but him and being from Minnesota and how hard it is to win at a football school, he's at least worth a phone call

It's taboo to hire within the conference. It's even more taboo to ditch a job after one year. Bob Huggins did it to K-State, but at least it was for his alma mater. Miles might be an option 2-3 years from now, but not this year.

Off the top of my head:

Dane Fife
Chris Mooney
Chris Mack
Gregg Marshall

Mooney would be a decent hire, as would Mack. Plus, it would be worth it just to see Souhan at the first press conference with 'McBaldwimp.'

Do you think Mooney, Mack or Marshall would come here? (I picked you because you have a higher number of people I'd say fall into the same boat.). I think Flip is much more likely and I'd like to see it (if we feel compelled to make a change and can't get someone like Smart, etc)

I'm just not sure that I can picture any of those guys jumping at the opportunity to come here unless we are offering a huge amount of money. I suppose you could argue that there's more room for error here in making the tourney, but... I love the U, but I am just not sure we can get someone of that ilk. I think it's likely we'd be looking lower (unless Teague and his connections can make a coup or someone like the guys above has some hidden beef with their current job). But maybe I'm missing something?

You have too high an opinion of the A-10 and too low an opinion of MN/B1G. I could see someone like Mack turning it down waiting for a better offer considering the last two guys have gotten Arizona and OSU. But is Chris Mooney going to turn down MN to stay at Richmond? No way.

It's taboo to hire within the conference. It's even more taboo to ditch a job after one year. Bob Huggins did it to K-State, but at least it was for his alma mater. Miles might be an option 2-3 years from now, but not this year.

The Big 12 is not the Big East.

Gregg Marshall ~ Wichita State
Tommy Amaker ~ Harvard
Greg McDermott ~ Creighton
Chris Mack ~ Xavier

All three have shown a track record of solid coaching, with perhaps the exception of Amaker since he was canned at UM. However, these four coaches could be considered for the MN job.

Does McDermott have more kids? If not, not worth even discussing

I nominate Moses.

My players wouldn't leave practice until they hit 10 straight FT's. Miss one and start over. The whole team except the shooting player would do 10 pushups for each miss. We'd average 90% as a team by March.

We'd also learn how to pass the ball into the post.

Everybody would do 15 minutes of dribbling drills with their OFF hand before the first shot went up.

I'd hire (out of my own pocket) Tim Hardaway Sr. to come in and teach Andre how to crossover and beat his man into the paint.

I didn't say it was. My only point was that Huggins left after one year. Not too many recent examples of coaches ditching BCS jobs one year in...

ah, i thought you were referring to same conference switches.

My players wouldn't leave practice until they hit 10 straight FT's. Miss one and start over. The whole team except the shooting player would do 10 pushups for each miss. We'd average 90% as a team by March.

We'd also learn how to pass the ball into the post.

Everybody would do 15 minutes of dribbling drills with their OFF hand before the first shot went up.

I'd hire (out of my own pocket) Tim Hardaway Sr. to come in and teach Andre how to crossover and beat his man into the paint.

I'm sure you would instill the same level of discipline you have showed in 'leaving Gopherhole'.

Do you think Mooney, Mack or Marshall would come here? (I picked you because you have a higher number of people I'd say fall into the same boat.). I think Flip is much more likely and I'd like to see it (if we feel compelled to make a change and can't get someone like Smart, etc)

I'm just not sure that I can picture any of those guys jumping at the opportunity to come here unless we are offering a huge amount of money. I suppose you could argue that there's more room for error here in making the tourney, but... I love the U, but I am just not sure we can get someone of that ilk. I think it's likely we'd be looking lower (unless Teague and his connections can make a coup or someone like the guys above has some hidden beef with their current job). But maybe I'm missing something?

I don't understand where this line of thinking comes from. It's not unique to you as there is a significant segment of the Gopher fan base (10-20%?) who thinks this way. When has the University of Minnesota had trouble hiring a good basketball coach? Even when the "U" had to hire a coach with major sanctions hanging over its head, it landed Dan Monson who was a fairly hot name at the time. The last hire was Tubby Smith who still had a lot of name value at the time and wasn't leaving Kentucky for just anywhere. I don't know what in Minnesota's history would compel a person to feel like getting Gregg Marshall (one example) to leave the Missouri Valley Conference would be unlikely.

I don't understand where this line of thinking comes from. It's not unique to you as there is a significant segment of the Gopher fan base (10-20%?) who thinks this way. When has the University of Minnesota had trouble hiring a good basketball coach? Even when the "U" had to hire a coach with major sanctions hanging over its head, it landed Dan Monson who was a fairly hot name at the time. The last hire was Tubby Smith who still had a lot of name value at the time and wasn't leaving Kentucky for just anywhere. I don't know what in Minnesota's history would compel a person to feel like getting Gregg Marshall (one example) to leave the Missouri Valley Conference would be unlikely.

Ask Dpdoll about Gopher history. There is no possible way MN BB can be relevant and win big anytime in the future, based on its mediocre past.

I would go with Joshua. Moses was stopped just short of the promised land.

If he is not available, Smart is the slam dunk obvious candidate. He has passed on other jobs, but there is appears to be a major inside connection. I would think Teague would have to give him a blue print of some changes being proposed in facilities, a nice contract and assuming they are friends, pull the friend card.

I don't think anyone in the Big 10 wants to see Smart come to Minnesota.

Hence why I mentioned Miles because Tubby will survive one more year, it'll come down to if he can recruit the big three

I would go with Joshua. Moses was stopped just short of the promised land.

If he is not available, Smart is the slam dunk obvious candidate. He has passed on other jobs, but there is appears to be a major inside connection. I would think Teague would have to give him a blue print of some changes being proposed in facilities, a nice contract and assuming they are friends, pull the friend card.

I don't think anyone in the Big 10 wants to see Smart come to Minnesota.

That's a good angle. Folks that think facilities have nothing to do with who the next coach is, have their head in the sand.

It's a different time now, we are quite frankly at the bottom of a never ending arms race when Monson was hired the arms race hadn't started, even when Tubby came in it was just starting, but not at a point where it could hurt us. The lack of leadership and vision of the Maturi administration will hurt us for the next decade. Alot of coaches that have been mentioned have better facilities at their mid major school than the U has. Why take this job when they can hold out for a better one. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't doubt my outlook on this

I would think Teague would have to give him a blue print of some changes being proposed in facilities, a nice contract and assuming they are friends, pull the friend card.

That's the fact, jack. It reminds me of the facility-related guarantees they had to give Holtz to come from Arkansas. It seemed like, no sooner did his plane touch down, they were breaking ground on Bierman. (One of the football experts can correct me on the timing of all of that if I'm mistaken.)

Tim Miles? I know its taboo to hire within conference and our facilities and athletic budget can't compare to Nebraska, but him and being from Minnesota and how hard it is to win at a football school, he's at least worth a phone call

Tim Miles is from South Dakota, not Minnesota. The second Miles took the Nebraska job in the Big Ten, that option closed for Minnesota i believe. Minnesota cannot compete financially with Nebraska as you stated and he can continue to coach there for many years with really low expectations and continue to draw a big paycheck. I really think that Miles is confident he can compete and win anywhere as long as he has the financial resources and facilities he needs.

You have too high an opinion of the A-10 and too low an opinion of MN/B1G. I could see someone like Mack turning it down waiting for a better offer considering the last two guys have gotten Arizona and OSU. But is Chris Mooney going to turn down MN to stay at Richmond? No way.

That's kinda what I meant- a lot of those guys are all but assured of getting a BCS job in the next few years (if they want one). If that's the case, are they picking the U and missing out on/taking the chance that no other, possibly better job will open and come calling? It's not the U vs. those places. It's the U vs. the places those guys could possibly get... I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm just saying that guys have recently turned down better jobs than ours to stay at mid major jobs and I assume there's a reason why... but I don't know it.

I think I gave a different impression, but tried to explain myself a little bit just above. It's not that the U is a worse job than an MVC place. It's the question of whether it's the job you leave a place you're comfortable at for or whether you wait for something better. You make a very valid point with Monson though. I had completely forgotten that he was just coming off big success.

I guess I'm just a little worried that everyone is so concerned with firing Tubby that the reality of who we may end up with doesn't sink in... is change just to make a change a good idea? It may be, but I don't know.

I guess I'm just a little worried that everyone is so concerned with firing Tubby that the reality of who we may end up with doesn't sink in... is change just to make a change a good idea? It may be, but I don't know.

If you are unhappy with the results, you make a change with hopes and expectations for an improved future. There are no guarantees. Such is life.

That's kinda what I meant- a lot of those guys are all but assured of getting a BCS job in the next few years (if they want one). If that's the case, are they picking the U and missing out on/taking the chance that no other, possibly better job will open and come calling? It's not the U vs. those places. It's the U vs. the places those guys could possibly get... I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm just saying that guys have recently turned down better jobs than ours to stay at mid major jobs and I assume there's a reason why... but I don't know it.

OSU and Arizona are better jobs than MN. Iowa, Virginia, Oregon State etc. are not. For the very hottest up-and-comers (Smart, Stevens) they might turn down MN to wait for a blue-chip job. But the guys like Mooney or Marshall? No way. Minnesota is at worst an above-average BCS job. Are you going to turn down an offer from Minnesota now to hold out for one that's no better a year from now? Why would you? There's only a few of those prime jobs out there and they don't open up very often.

If you are unhappy with the results, you make a change with hopes and expectations for an improved future. There are no guarantees. Such is life.

C'mon Gophers please beat Bucky so we can stop all this stupid talk!

OSU and Arizona are better jobs than MN. Iowa, Virginia, Oregon State etc. are not. For the very hottest up-and-comers (Smart, Stevens) they might turn down MN to wait for a blue-chip job. But the guys like Mooney or Marshall? No way. Minnesota is at worst an above-average BCS job. Are you going to turn down an offer from Minnesota now to hold out for one that's no better a year from now? Why would you? There's only a few of those prime jobs out there and they don't open up very often.

Is that a widely accepted belief by people across the country? I am way too much of a homer to think about it rationally- I actually may over-correct (as you've pointed out) to try to make sure that I am not being biased. But you seem to be pretty confident of it... It's all subjective (or at least, largely subjective), but you might be right. I guess I think we're about average in terms of a B10 job when it comes to a national consensus, but certainly we'd be a top quartile job in either the Big 12 or SEC, and probably the Pac 10, too.

I also think that sometimes people turn down slightly better jobs because they are happy, comfortable, and well-paid where they are. But by and large, yeah, you're right... people want to move up the ladder and a BCS job is doing that. Perhaps I am just trying way too hard to counter my own bias.

Is that a widely accepted belief by people across the country? I am way too much of a homer to think about it rationally- I actually may over-correct (as you've pointed out) to try to make sure that I am not being biased. But you seem to be pretty confident of it... It's all subjective (or at least, largely subjective), but you might be right. I guess I think we're about average in terms of a B10 job when it comes to a national consensus, but certainly we'd be a top quartile job in either the Big 12 or SEC, and probably the Pac 10, too.

I also think that sometimes people turn down slightly better jobs because they are happy, comfortable, and well-paid where they are. But by and large, yeah, you're right... people want to move up the ladder and a BCS job is doing that. Perhaps I am just trying way too hard to counter my own bias.

Yeah, MN is AT BEST an above-average BCS job.

Whenever the time comes for the Gophers to hire a new coach, we have the right two people in place to do the hiring. Norwood Teague and Mike Ellis are basketball guys. They are well-connected. I feel good about these two people landing a coach who will win here. For further confirmation, mandatory refresher reading is here.

Top Bottom